Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out on my own buying a boat, some advice needed ?

Options
  • 04-04-2021 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there ,

I've always loved sea fishing. So my mid life crises is buying a boat. Nothing could best heading out to sea in my own vessel.

I have found a beautiful boat. Its in fantastic nick body wise. However, engines are not my area of expertise.

It is a Yamaha 50 outboard engine. It has little usage @356 hours. It started up grand but as I say lads , I'm far from In the know.

Could anybody enlighten me to the reputation of these engines ? Good advice is pretty scarce around here. I have a local mechanic who said he'll service it for me but doesn't know much about which engines are good/bad as he's a bike mechanic.

I'd really appreciate any replies !

Have a great Sunday

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

More or less all engines are the same Mercury owners will say they are the best as will Honda and Evinrude owners :D the best engines are the ones best looked after by the owners so its a bit hard to tell what sort of life one has had, best thing to do is get a compression test if you get about 10% difference between all cylinders you should be ok. Get it serviced and a new impeller fitted before you hit the water.

Advertisement