Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2020/2021 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

WhoamI2022 wrote: »
    Leinster are ok. I think Montpellier had to sell off loads of squad after they got caught breaking salary cap? or am I wrong? Northampton took a nose dive after the Leinster games last season. Don't expect much them to beat Leinster home/away.

Ulster should beat Glou, maybe at home they can win v Toulouse.

Munster should beat Clermont at home, probably lose away. I would expect them to beat Quins home & away

Connacht just have nightmare draw, Bristol Bears are some outfit and Racing not too bad either. Pat Lam coming back is a bit of a story

Radradra v Aki

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Boscoirl wrote: »
    the games look fairly balanced in each group, cant really pick a team that has gotten an "easy ride"

Leinster got a fairly cushy number as did racing, connacht got boned.

The pools are so imbalanced it's hilarious.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

twinytwo wrote: »

Connacht went from not being part of the competition to being tier 3.... So saying they were "boned" is a bit disingenuous.
    They were always going to be a 'make up the numbers' team in order to allow the big French dogs in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Connacht are a tier 4 team, of course their draw is harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

Question to Connacht
    Would they prefer to play in top competition and have 4 really hard games
    Or
    Play in the second tier with 4 easier games?

I think they will pick option 1 all the time

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Connacht are a tier 4 team, of course their draw is harder.

Tier 3

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Tier 3

Ah indeed. How did they go from basically not in the comp to tier 3? There was some nonsense like they took the top 4 from each conference but then did a joint table?

Ah indeed. How did they go from basically not in the comp to tier 3? There was some nonsense like they took the top 4 from each conference but then did a joint table?

If you stop at "nonsense" it's easier to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They did it off league point totals before lockdown, tier 1&2 were the finalists of last year's final and the semi final losers, and then it was points totals for the next two tiers

If you stop at "nonsense" it's easier to understand

It was nonsense though. Connacht qualified from 4th in their league, but they did a joint table and put them in tier 3. Whereas following that logic through, Treviso should have qualified ahead of Dragons. Connacht certainly not been screwed by the whole thing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Essentially qualification and seeding were treated separately.

The new ERCC format meant that 8 teams were to qualify from each of the three leagues this season instead of 7.
    Qualification from the Pro14 for the ERCC was decided by being one of the top 4 European teams in each conference (i.e. ignoring the Cheetahs so Dragons were 5th in conference but 4th for qualification).

Thereafter to organise the 8 qualified teams into seedings, they said winner of Pro14 final is seed 1, runner-up is seed 2, and the other 6 teams are ranked by league points and other criteria where tied on league points.

I feel bad for Benetton, they were unlucky to be in the opposite conference to Cheetahs, I think they were better than Dragons and they beat dragons by 12 on the one occasion they met last season.
    It was a bad system to take a 5th place team with fewer points than the 5th and 6th placed teams in the other conference with higher points without at least a playoff match as in previous years.
    With a pandemic going on this was an unfortunate side-effect of having to reduce matches, so no play-off was played, but in the absence of having a playoff match I think they should have used the match from the league as the decider.

As rightly pointed out Connacht benefitted from being moved from tier 4 up to tier 3 according to the seeding rules, whereas Dragons benefitted from being a top 4 European team in their conference by the qualification rules.

Connacht went from not being part of the competition to being tier 3.... So saying they were "boned" is a bit disingenuous.
    They were always going to be a 'make up the numbers' team in order to allow the big French dogs in.

Why do you say Connacht went from not being part of the competition?
    Were there supposed to be only 6 teams from Pro14 before deciding to go with 8?
    By the old rules Connacht would have qualified in 7th place, and they were in it last season, so I don't understand your point that Connacht went from "not being part of the competition...".

Why do you say Connacht went from not being part of the competition?
    Were there supposed to be only 6 teams from Pro14 before deciding to go with 8?
    By the old rules Connacht would have qualified in 7th place, and they were in it last season, so I don't understand your point that Connacht went from "not being part of the competition...".

Nope

4 place in each conference, omitting the SAs, would have had to play off for the 7th spot... as ospreys and scarlets had to do at the end of the 18/19 season... which ospreys won.

connacht were in the 19/20 HC by virtue of them finishing 3rd in conference A

Nope

4 place in each conference, omitting the SAs, would have had to play off for the 7th spot... as ospreys and scarlets had to do at the end of the 18/19 season... which ospreys won.

connacht were in the 19/20 HC by virtue of them finishing 3rd in conference A

OK, but Connacht were never "not part of the competition", as they were in contention for a playoff at least, and due to not having playoffs this season they woud have been automatically qualified in 7th place by league points.
    That's what was confusing.
    I assumed there must have been a discussion to cut the number of teams that I missed.
    But it didn't happen anyway so it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I see there is new player registration rules for this competition

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I see there is new player registration rules for this competition

Unlimited number of non-european players in the match day squad.

OK, but Connacht were never "not part of the competition", as they were in contention for a playoff at least, and due to not having playoffs this season they woud have been automatically qualified in 7th place by league points.
    That's what was confusing.
    I assumed there must have been a discussion to cut the number of teams that I missed.
    But it didn't happen anyway so it doesn't matter.

that's quite a leap of logic... im sure dragons would have looked at legal action should that have come to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Andy Brace has seen his appointment for next weekend’s Heineken Champions Cup switched due to the online abuse hes received after Autumn Nations Cup

He will now referee the game between Wasps and Montpellier instead of Toulouse v Exeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

FYI - you can get two months Now TV Sports Extra for the price of one at the moment - so that's legal streaming of all the pool games for €34

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Andy Brace has seen his appointment for next weekend’s Heineken Champions Cup switched due to the online abuse hes received after Autumn Nations Cup

He will now referee the game between Wasps and Montpellier instead of Toulouse v Exeter.

What's the logic there? Fears for his physical safety if he travels to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Gives it another week for things to settle down/blowover too.

To be fair, couldn't blame the guy for just needing the weekend off after the disgraceful nonsense sent his way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Gives it another week for things to settle down/blowover too.

To be fair, couldn't blame the guy for just needing the weekend off after the disgraceful nonsense sent his way.
    He hasn't been given an extra week. He's been swapped from a R2 game in France to a R2 game in England.

He's doing Bristol v Clermont tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

He hasn't been given an extra week. He's been swapped from a R2 game in France to a R2 game in England.

He's doing Bristol v Clermont tomorrow.

Oh right okay I misunderstood what I read the. Throight it was a round 1 to round 2 swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Gives the issue more time to blow over. Lot of anger and why give that more oxygen by having him in France for game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Two away wins for the Top14 to start us off!

Likelihood of vahamaahina getting carded today??

I fancy bears by about 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm normally a Heineken Cup addict, watch all the games on a HC weekend, love a good back to back fortnight... I'm just not feeling it this year. Maybe it's the format, I don't know, but I just can't bring myself to care too much for some reason.

I'm sure I'll still be glued to the TV come 6.30 though.

[edit] Maybe this will put me in the mood ... yeah, that does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭MaddChris

BT Sport must be distraught Bristol are 14 behind already :pac:

Advertisement