Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    She was lucky with Covid timing as her involvement in the defence of a serial animal abuser was just about to be questioned by op parties and become a bigger story.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/farmer-says-ministers-move-may-have-put-halt-to-animal-cruelty-charges-38982684.html

Yeah I remember reading about that (the Sunday Times did a bit of digging there) and was surprised it didn't get more attention, but as you say covid probably saved her. When you compare the hysterical 'outrage' to the Gordon Elliot story, it's a pretty poor reflection on the media and wider society. As usual, it's only the cute or commercially valuable animals that count.

And if HH interfered to get a local constituent off the hook (as it seems), then she should be ashamed of herself...but hey,hai, they're only livestock...doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’m expecting a lot of ‘emotion’ from Dezzie around 0845 when ‘de rowers’ are interviewed.

’De famblie’ at home will get full emotional treatment.

Well done ladies, anyway.

Hope there’s no tears……………from Dezzie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Lots of emotion alright. The four girls and two of the mammies from back at home. A great achievement and they seem like a lovely group. Des does this type of stuff well in fairness.

few minutes ago Interview with Austrailia Paediatric Profesesor about children and Covid 19. Good Interviewer, poor interviewee.

Interviewer asks do we know why Covid recovery is better in children, professor more or less deflects question, just says "Yes. Full Stop". She was mentioning the phrase "children" every few words. A

Another polititian / professional "standing at the cool vantage point watching all the sh¬t unfold" but not actually doing anything real about it.

What’s with this ‘noo’ Traffic reports on MI.

If we hadn’t enough ‘Nooze’ and ‘noo’ on RTE they seem to have an American dude presenting it.

Where in Gods name did this pronunciation of ‘News’ spring from.

Its gone rampant especially in RTE.

Are there no standards in that organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

He sounded like the voice you'd hear on a sat nav!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

whats the story with a yank doing the traffic reports now

sounds all wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

II thought the same - and I feel bad for the new guy but its not great. Hopefully teething problems with their new traffic slot...ah bring back AA Roadwatch

• Advertisement

I didn’t catch the name of the crowd doing it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I thought is was Oliver Callans "Michael Flateley".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

There has been a Yank on with Marty too. Same chap maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Mary Wilson the Great Interruptor was at it again this morning.

Dara O’Brien was well able for her though-whether you’re a fan of him or not he has to chastise her a few times.

The woman is godawful.

Very aggressive type of person, I quite agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• I really got p1ssed off this morning listening to the segment on Aer Lingus flight(s) to Tenerife bring cancelled, with only badly-informed contributors on. I sent @MorningIreland a Tweet to point them in the direction of an incident report in Aviation Herald where a Ryanair suffered power loss in both its engines flying out of Tenerife the other day due to ingested volcanic ash. Obviously Aer Lingus had taken note of the prevailing situation and made their risk assessment ahead of departure in an effort to prevent a potentially disastrous outcome.

Local busy-bodies talking about how nobody is affected by the cloud are no substitute to getting on somebody from the aviation safety sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Unfortunately that's all you get with Morning Ireland, badly informed contributors, Simon Harris about to show what I mean 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Hmmm. Apart from the incongruity of the ‘example’ what did Simon Harris say that was “badly informed’?

Not trying to derail the thread but maybe it’s not just the contributors are badly informed.

Just saying…..

• Advertisement

Very ‘hostile’ interview by Wilson to Stephen Donnelly this am on MI.

When Will RTE realise that nobody can guarantee anything with Covid.

Don’t think I heard anyone say that who is qualified in the handling of Pandemic situations.

You need to read my post a chara and check out ‘guarantee’.

Any stult including myself and the three you named can make a statement on anything and have a chance of it happening.

Guarenteeing what is going to happen in a Pandemic situation is another matter entirely

Good day Sir!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭hawley

Sports news this morning, "If you think that the club championships had late finishes, it was nothing compared to the Los Angeles Rams who scored a touchdown with 1.25 seconds left to win the Superbowl."

Only thing is that it actually was 1 minute, 25 seconds left. He obviously barely scanned an article.

One minute 25 secs is a long time in American Football, plenty of teams have come back to score in that time depending on time outs and stuff.

It was poor by the sports presenter. I don’t think he’s great. And he’s very woke. Camogie player reviewing the men’s club hurling final, as is the way of it these days. Gavin Jennings smart arse links into the sports bulletins a new feature best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Did it 3 times as well. 6.45, 7.35 and again at 8.35.

I thought it astonishing that they won it like that but just looking at the first minute-by-minute report showed it was 1min 25sec. Terrible to make the same error three times. And yes, it's not Irish, UK or European sport, but it's probably the most watched match in any non Irish/UK sport annually in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

Aine Lawlor hasn't been presenting the show in a good few weeks - hope that she is doing ok

I noticed she's not being presenting the week in politics either , I agree with your sentiments .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I hope Aine is doing well, she's one of the good ones.

• Advertisement

Eamonn Ryan on, his first mistake "The €230 electricity credit", it's €200 inclusive of Vat.

The PSO levy removal would be welcome. I don't get his ambitions about smart meters. I've had one for over 2 years, low usage customer and the smart tariffs on offer make absolutely no sense, I've thouraghly checked. I actually pay more in levies, taxes and rural standing charge than I do for electricity (albeit that's changing monthly).

Shorter showers is a nonsense.

Oops…. Didn’t realise this was the Green Party thread….soz.

It's not, simply pointing out Eamonn "Drive slower and shower Quicker" Ryan was on. Pointed out he was incorrect on his very first point but also praised the possible removal of the PSO levy,

Your point being exactly what Bren 🤔 or just another meaningless swipe perhaps

My point is very simple D.

In a thread about an RTE radio programme you make no reference whatsoever to the subject of the thread,but instead launch into your usual swipe at the Govt.

Thats it,nothing more,nothing less.

Enjoy.

What are you shyting about now, I simply pointed out on this Thread, Eamonn Ryan is a guest and commented about his comments, what am I ,or clearly you missing. Do you moderate comments 🤔, you don't dictate content.

Were's your snide comments about other guests appearances. You seem to trawl through threads trying to fund something absurd to say and seem particularly fond of my contributions on Boards, I've not forgotten your last offence accusations by the way.

You are not the content police and I'd ask you not to quote me but of course you'd ignore that.

Get off your high horse, I used to think you just got offended by FG politicians being critised, perhaps your a closet Green too 🙄, good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Shorter showers will save you money if you have an electric. A typical electric shower on normal mode uses 0.15kwh per minute or 3.3c/min. Cutting the 10min daily shower to 5mins will reduce the electric bill by €10 over a billing cycle.

Ryan wants to see smart metering because it has the potential to shift demand away from the peak to night or to times when the wind is blowing. Smart metering is the important first step, but will also require battery storage in the home too. I agree though, the smart tariffs are no incentive at the moment.

Hi, I use a power shower so pump uses very little electricity, water heated with Oil.

I admit to not fully understanding what is proposed re smart meters I can assure you I've checked thouraghly smart tariffs and indeed switching and in my case , Zero savings achievable but of course I accept this not the case for every customer as I'm a very low user.

I'd love to have a night rate etc but getting this then increases rates across plans .

I suppose my gripe is primarily around the levies and especially the Rural standing charge which is much higher than Urban .

I have welcomed the levy measures if it happens 😏

I have made my point, and will not comment any further.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's more a more difficult calculation for you but shorter showers could significantly reduce your heating bill as well. A typical pumped shower that has incoming water at 10C and output at the head of 35C and runs for 5mins (50l) consumes about 1.45kwh or in kerosene terms or about 140ml. The price at the moment is about 115c/l so roughly 17c of oil for a 5min one or 34c for 10mins.

Its actually worse as the above assumes a no loss system. In reality you end up heating a whole tank for it to go cold again. It's in the region of euros if all the hot water is not used. Pumped off the tank is lovely, but it's one of the most expensive ways to wash.

Ryan is correct, shorter and indeed fewer showers can significantly reduce heating bills.

An unusual presenter line-up this morning: David Murphy and Justin McCarthy. Must be a long time since there was no female presenter. The four regular ladies all absent. And Gavin Jennings on the News at One.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

I don't get it, Morning Ireland has officially 5 permanent presenters so by rights it should seldom if ever require fill-in presenters but anytime I tune in more offen than not there's a fill-in presenter.

You're spot on there, seems to be far more stand-ins than previously, despite five "full-timers" instead of four as used to be the case. I thought it would be back to the regulars from September once the holiday season ended but it doesn't seem to be the case. David Murphy was on last week also. RTE holidays something else

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

I have wondered why they need 5 presenters plus separate newspaper reviewers. Newstalk have 2 presenters who are also able to review the papers. Not just privately owned Newstalk, BBC Radio Ulster have 2 presenters and no separate newspaper reviewers, they start earlier and have no ad breaks.

The 5 presenters should be told to reapply for 2 presenting roles and the remaining 3 made redundant. The paper reviewers should be told that they are no longer required.

Also why the need for 2 presenters on Drivetime except on Tuesday?

We all know RTE is overstaffed. Between 9am and 7pm RTE have 8 on air presenters (that excluses PBH 6.30 programs ie climate change, missing ships. And Study Hub). Newstalk have 4.

• Advertisement

Of the five presenters, Rachael English and Aine Lawlor appear to have some form of part-time set up, whereas Mary Wilson, Audrey Carvill and Gavin Jennings are full-time, at least in theory. Salaries probably multiples of what Newstalk pay.

Drivetime is and interesting one as well. They were initially using a second presenter on Tuesday when Sarah is on Prime Time, so the likes of Samantha Libreri filled in. But now they seem to be just going with Cormac. 2 presenters on the other days.

Staffing levels and holiday entitlements never fail to surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

Carville is also a presenter with the BBC

The minimum holiday leave for a new journalist is 6 weeks. They don't like people to know that.

There’s a lot more RTE dont like people to know.

They tend to treat the place like the third secret of Fatima, whilst their on air cohort expect all other concerns to by open and transparent!!

Needs a cleaning out that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Morning Ireland is the flagship programme on RTE Radio 1, but it seems there is nobody listening. No comments on Boards for the last few months proves that. There is ample opportunity for posters to get involved, given the things which are important to them on other threads.

Mispronunciations and general mangling of language, various bodily functions manifesting themselves, technology malfunctions, news bulletins not on schedule, the salaries of the personnel, the Woke agenda. And one which only seems to afflict morning radio, getting the time wrong by an hour.

About a ‘quawter’ of an hour of decent content.

What are the salaries of the personel?

Why do all links never seem to work properly?

What kind of a wedge is Aonghus on?

Does stints as It says in the papers, Editor, Presenter, Reporter…

Be great if we knew all this and could release a bit of bile

By the way…have given up on the following

nooze

quaater

seen

done

So….

Those lads are beyond saving…………eh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement