Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Aeon Labs Micro Smart Dimmer is £30 on Amazon. Cheapest I've seen these in a long time
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JGSDJ8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭randombar

beanian wrote: »
    Aeon Labs Micro Smart Dimmer is £30 on Amazon. Cheapest I've seen these in a long time
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JGSDJ8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any idea if these can be used with the hue app / apple home etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Any idea if these can be used with the hue app / apple home etc.

No these are Z-Wave devices so you'll need some sort of Zwave controller to use these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Have been keeping an odd eye out for one also but the E27 are a bit of a pain as for me would require adapters (cheapish) or replacing the pendants from B22. I have seen singular color bulbs for sale previously for £30 but not sure if these were the newer 2nd generation bulbs with better colors. Will probably still hold out for a better offer or else get the starter kit with GU10 bulbs and try pick up B22 bulbs separately.

B22 Starter kit is on Amazon & BT, though cheaper on BT @ £127.24

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LF9G9HC?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_1

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/philips-hue-white-and-color-ambiance-starter-kit-uk--b22---v3-929001257403-CJ0N.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Ordered the starter kit from BT, what have I let myself in for. Delivery was £13 to parcel motel unfortunately but still worked out cheaper than Amazon. Now what next to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Ordered the starter kit from BT, what have I let myself in for. Delivery was £13 to parcel motel unfortunately but still worked out cheaper than Amazon. Now what next to buy?

Feck that, was wondering where you were getting the £13 as it was showing £3.49 for me all along using my PM address until final payment section when it was updated to £12.98 delivery. Extra £9.50 for Northern Ireland by the looks of it even though the BT Shop is supposed to have free delivery on items over £99. Another excuse not to buy and hold out, the perseverance continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Extra £9.50 for Northern Ireland by the looks of it even though the BT Shop is supposed to have free delivery on items over £99.

Use Address Pal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

UsedToWait wrote: »

I'll be using the last of my PM credit soon and then switching to address pal. Much handier for me as the nearest motel is half an hour away. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Jayop wrote: »
    I'll be using the last of my PM credit soon and then switching to address pal. Much handier for me as the nearest motel is half an hour away. :mad:

I switched to Parcel Wizard after the PM xmas débâcle (not the delays but the complete disregard for customer service, and, as it turned out, for their own employees, who didn't get promised bonuses after working flat out all December)..

Delighted with PW service so far

/bitta politics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

TBH I've used PM 4 times and it's been perfect all 4 times. It's just the inconvenience of having to drive half and hour each way that I don't like. What you said about them screwing their employees would put me off big time too.

Also, I like supporting the PO. More chance of keeping local offices open if people use services like this imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tallpaul wrote: »

Surely a misprice? Ive ordered 3 to put in external lights at that price anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Surely a misprice? Ive ordered 3 to put in external lights at that price anyway.

I've ordered one as well. At that price it's simply too good to pass up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Blacknight wrote: »
    I've ordered one as well. At that price it's simply too good to pass up.

No Edison option :-(

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I switched to Parcel Wizard after the PM xmas débâcle (not the delays but the complete disregard for customer service, and, as it turned out, for their own employees, who didn't get promised bonuses after working flat out all December)..

Delighted with PW service so far

/bitta politics

Same here. Parcel Wizard charge you the same price regardless of the package size, which helps a lot, plus they deliver directly to my office.
    I've still got credit with Parcel Motel that I need to use up though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ordered two for outside lights. Thanks a lot. I believe they are getting apple HomeKit support in February which is good for me as I use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

It just failed for me, not *quite* fast enough.....

Amazon have now pulled this product. I would expect cancellation emails to be incoming shortly...

Do they not honour mis priced items ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Do they not honour mis priced items ?

Depends on how badly mispriced. Good for a complaint and some amazon credit at a minimum though.

• Advertisement

195 stg now :-(

Got an email off BT saying they cancelled my order as they won't ship to parcel motels, pop boxes etc. Really annoying. Back to the drawing board. Don't feel like paying the 150 on Amazon. EBay has a few sellers for £125 might try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

May be worth a trip to Newry - 25% off all Hue bulbs and accessories at Argos

Pay in advance & opt for Fast track collection, entering code home25

Brings the starter kit down to £112, plus if you order something else separately, you then have a £10 voucher for spending > £100

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hue-25-off-bulbs-accessories-argos-example-hue-bulbs-going-down-from-14-99-11-24-2605312

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yamanoto wrote: »
    May be worth a trip to Newry - 25% off all Hue bulbs and accessories at Argos

Pay in advance & opt for Fast track collection, entering code home25

Brings the starter kit down to £112, plus if you order something else separately, you then have a £10 voucher for spending > £100

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hue-25-off-bulbs-accessories-argos-example-hue-bulbs-going-down-from-14-99-11-24-2605312

Thanks for that. Reserved a colour GU10 starter kit for £112.

Reordered there from ebay and got free p&p to parcel motel. €149 in total so saved money by BT canceling my order, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Reordered there from ebay and got free p&p to parcel motel. €149 in total so saved money by BT canceling my order, thanks for that.

ebay if you dont mind pls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I have this Starter Kit. Brand New, Unused. I'll let it go for €150 delivered if any one interested. Pm if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

The Harmony Elite is down to €179 on Amazon.de: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdo_VJFJyb5S2JWT9

Currently £199 on Amazon.co.uk.

So so tempted, anyone able to convince me to pull the trigger?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

garion wrote: »
    The Harmony Elite is down to €179 on Amazon.de: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdo_VJFJyb5S2JWT9

Currently £199 on Amazon.co.uk.

So so tempted, anyone able to convince me to pull the trigger?!

You called!! :P

I've both a Harmony Elite and an Ultimate. Both are fantastic devices and worth every cent IMO. If you have a complicated set up, with AV, multiple set top boxes, etc. then it is well worth it.

Being able to control your setup by voice using Alexa is very cool and certainly makes life easier.

Both do the job, but the elite is certainly the much nicer remote, feels much better built, more solid and the shape fits in your hand much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

bk wrote: »

I've both a Harmony Elite and an Ultimate. Both are fantastic devices and worth every cent IMO. If you have a complicated set up, with AV, multiple set top boxes, etc. then it is well worth it.

Being able to control your setup by voice using Alexa is very cool and certainly makes life easier.

Both do the job, but the elite is certainly the much nicer remote, feels much better built, more solid and the shape fits in your hand much better.

I was literally coming on to post it, and ask if it's a worthy purchase :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I was literally coming on to post it, and ask if it's a worthy purchase :D

I'm hovering over the purchase button.....

I'm hovering over the purchase button.....

Ha, yeah it's in my basket...... I'm thinking that if the price is the same at 10pm it's a go

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Ha, yeah it's in my basket...... I'm thinking that if the price is the same at 10pm it's a go

we need plug adapters too,its only 186 to add an additional remote

Its not a second remote,its a bloody screen protector,shows a pic of a remote

The hover didn't last

Its done 194.08 Euro all in, that's 168.80GBP so very good value I think

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

bk wrote: »

As tempted as I was I decided against it for now. I've young kids and they have a history of smashing remote controls so I'll have to bide my time until they can be trusted!

I did buy a Hue E27 bulb and dimmer to get my Home Automation fix though! :D

• Advertisement

garion wrote: »
    As tempted as I was I decided against it for now. I've young kids and they have a history of smashing remote controls so I'll have to bide my time until they can be trusted!

I did buy a Hue E27 bulb and dimmer to get my Home Automation fix though! :D

Happened to me twice, the little buggers left the remotes next to the fire..

I was very tempted by the remote but I can't justify it currently- going to set up a camel thing for it though

tallpaul wrote: »
    Lifx dimmable colour bulbs reduced to£9.99 on Amazon. Out of stock but can be ordered!!

Looks like these might ship? I got an email saying they are in stock and shipping tomorrow.

Looks like these might ship? I got an email saying they are in stock and shipping tomorrow.

So did I. Sorry I didn't order more at the time...

Yup got an email this morning. I ordered 3 at the time so very happy :)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Yup got an email this morning. I ordered 3 at the time so very happy :)

I only ordered one so I'm kicking myself!

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    I only ordered one so I'm kicking myself!

I nearly ordered 8 or 9 to finish off a good few more lights but herself had a meltdown a few days before about spending so much on "stupid" bulbs so I valued my life :pac:

Logitec harmony remote plus hub for, $69

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Control-Smartphone-Simple/dp/B00BQ5RYI4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_awdo_dcs_7lqLyb0XA7GZB_tt

This comes with the hub as well. You can order from this website but they only deliver to the US. Bought some other stuff off then last week and sending it to a relative over there who will get it over to us. I'd go for this as well, only feel like I'd be taking the piss out of the relative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Logitec harmony remote plus hub for, $69

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Control-Smartphone-Simple/dp/B00BQ5RYI4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_awdo_dcs_7lqLyb0XA7GZB_tt

This comes with the hub as well. You can order from this website but they only deliver to the US. Bought some other stuff off then last week and sending it to a relative over there who will get it over to us. I'd go for this as well, only feel like I'd be taking the piss out of the relative

$129 now...

My bargain LIFX bulb arrived yesterday. Haven't had time to set it up yet. Considerably larger than a regular bulb but no issue for me as it will be hidden by a large shade. Might be a consideration for others.

Interestingly the LIFX app also works on Apple Watch so I will be able to annoy 'someone' at home by changing the colour at will. It's the little things I tell ya...

Yeh i got my two as well and installed one in the light outside over the front door. works fine. Apparently the lifx bulbs are getting apple homekit integration this month which would be great, not 100% if they are going to update these ones to be included though. Definitely worth 9.99 each!

• Advertisement
Advertisement