Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi all

Is this a descent quote for 12 panels ?

https://imgur.com/gallery/CrQumQt

Thanks

Not bad, you have a Harvi included, see is it possible to run some Ethernet cable instead, hard wired will always be preferable and is also permanent.
    The cables need to run from PV and Grid feeds back to wherever your are putting your EDDI hot water diverter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

slave1 wrote: »
    Not bad, you have a Harvi included, see is it possible to run some Ethernet cable instead, hard wired will always be preferable and is also permanent.
    The cables need to run from PV and Grid feeds back to wherever your are putting your EDDI hot water diverter.

Thanks for that, I'll mention that to the installer. I have ethernet pulled into most rooms and empty ducting so no hassle in using them over wireless

If no ducting then a TPLink EoP be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

Hi all, hope you can cast your expert eyes over these 2 quotes I've received this week for a single string 8 panel with an Eddi hot water diverter (I currently have a Zappi for my EV). I'm not sold on a battery system as yet as they're so expensive as far as I can make out anyway, happy to be redirected here! Any here are the 2 quotes in question, no names just their quotes:

QUOTE NUMBER 1
    Equipment costs
    8x LONGI 365W SOLAR PANEL solar panel
    Solis Mini 2000 4G with DC inverter
    Eastron SDM120A Single Phase Energy Meter
    Set of PV warning labels / stickers
    Eddi Immersion Controller
    Harvi Wireless CT Clamp
    Projoy 4 Pole Fire Safety Switch PEFS-EL16-4
    2x KN Newbury 20A 4-pole AC isolator
    KG20-4 DC isolator
    2x Pair of MC4 connectors
    100m reel of 4mm2 solar cable
    8x Renusol end clamp (black)
    12x Renusol mid clamp (black)
    8x Renusol end cap (black)
    20x genius retrofit
    20x Renusol portrait flat tile roof hook
    4x Renusol rail splice
    6x Renusol rail 3.2m silver
    AC Equipment
    misc
    DELIVERY
    Total equipment cost €3,148.75
    Labour costs
    Installation of PV Panels Installation of AC-DC equipment On Site Support
    Total labour and overheads
    €1,300.00
    Total before tax €4,448.75
    VAT at 13.5% €600.58
    Total including tax €5,049.33

QUOTE NUMBER 2

8 of 375 Watt Mono Trina PV Module
    Trannergy Inverter model: PVI 2800TL
    Power diverter to divert excess generation to immersion heater eddi
    Fireman switch as per regulation
    AC and DC cabling and isolators.
    Suitable 25 amp type 'B' RCBO protection
    Full label kit to identify all components
    All associated necessary plant and equipment
    Notification to ESB Networks by NC6 form as set out by the 'Conditions Governing the Connection and Operation of Micro- generation', document.
    Full installation of 3 kWp roof mounted PV system.
    All performance testing and commissioning of PV system.
    Full explanation with client of every aspect of the installation and expectations.
    To complete all of our works professionally and efficiently with Safe Systems of Work Practices adhered to with and as little disturbance to clients property as possible.
    As set out by SEAI in grant guidelines to fulfil all of the documentary requirements to enable the successful grant allocation to the client.
    Parts Subtotal
    Amount
    €6,318.00

Many thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If no ducting then a TPLink EoP be suitable?

It's not actually ethernet(tcp/up) that's run over the cables, the cables are just used for simple signals, from the Cat's so an ethernet over power isn't suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭championc

Hi all

Thanks

An Eddi does NOT need to see the PV generation. It only looks at the grid and ensures that the grid figure stays at Zero.

So if the Harvi was for sending the PV generation, then that's pointless. Only the Zappi needs to read the PV generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi all

Thanks

I'm just getting a 404 error when I click that link. Do you mind posting what the quote was?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

championc wrote: »
    An Eddi does NOT need to see the PV generation. It only looks at the grid and ensures that the grid figure stays at Zero.

So if the Harvi was for sending the PV generation, then that's pointless. Only the Zappi needs to read the PV generation

Why does the zappi need to see the PV generation any more than the eddi? Mine seems to work fine without being able to see it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Why does the zappi need to see the PV generation any more than the eddi? Mine seems to work fine without being able to see it.

Interesting that - and what you say makes sense really. I don't know - I always thought that PV output was needed to be known for Zappi's, but clearly not.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Because to operate in Eco or Eco+ mode it needs to differenciate PV generated power.
    If it is not CT'ing the PV generation then how else will the Zappi know to either supplement with Grid power or even if Eco+ (100% PV power only) possible?

Don't know why we are debating the inclusion of one extra CT Clamp in an overall outlay typically €5k+.

It's also required for the App/online account to provide PV generation data

• Advertisement

Lush wrote: »
    Hi all, hope you can cast your expert eyes over these 2 quotes I've received this week for a single string 8 panel with an Eddi hot water diverter (I currently have a Zappi for my EV). I'm not sold on a battery system as yet as they're so expensive as far as I can make out anyway, happy to be redirected here! Any here are the 2 quotes in question, no names just their quotes:

QUOTE NUMBER 1
    Equipment costs
    8x LONGI 365W SOLAR PANEL solar panel
    Solis Mini 2000 4G with DC inverter
    Eastron SDM120A Single Phase Energy Meter
    Eddi Immersion Controller
    Harvi Wireless CT Clamp
    Projoy 4 Pole Fire Safety Switch PEFS-EL16-4
    KG20-4 DC isolator
    12x Renusol mid clamp (black)
    8x Renusol end cap (black)
    20x genius retrofit
    20x Renusol portrait flat tile roof hook
    4x Renusol rail splice
    6x Renusol rail 3.2m silver
    AC Equipment
    misc
    DELIVERY
    Total equipment cost €3,148.75
    Labour costs
    Installation of PV Panels Installation of AC-DC equipment On Site Support
    Total labour and overheads
    €1,300.00
    Total before tax €4,448.75
    VAT at 13.5% €600.58
    Total including tax €5,049.33

QUOTE NUMBER 2

8 of 375 Watt Mono Trina PV Module
    Trannergy Inverter model: PVI 2800TL
    Power diverter to divert excess generation to immersion heater eddi
    Fireman switch as per regulation
    AC and DC cabling and isolators.
    Suitable 25 amp type 'B' RCBO protection
    Full label kit to identify all components
    All associated necessary plant and equipment
    Notification to ESB Networks by NC6 form as set out by the 'Conditions Governing the Connection and Operation of Micro- generation', document.
    Full installation of 3 kWp roof mounted PV system.
    All performance testing and commissioning of PV system.
    Full explanation with client of every aspect of the installation and expectations.
    To complete all of our works professionally and efficiently with Safe Systems of Work Practices adhered to with and as little disturbance to clients property as possible.
    As set out by SEAI in grant guidelines to fulfil all of the documentary requirements to enable the successful grant allocation to the client.
    Parts Subtotal
    Amount
    €6,318.00

Many thanks in advance!

Agreed on battery, it also makes sense to get an EDDI IMHO and you can run CT clamps to that if easier than the Zappi2 to get full functionality out of the MyEnegri gear you have.

Both quotes are too high, I know it's a pain but I highly suggest you read both the 2018 and 2020 (this thread) Quotes in full to see this yourself.
    As an example, I put in a 7.4kWp panel system with 5kW hybrid inverter and 2.4kW PylonTech battery, all the safety gear etc etc for €5.6k after grant.
    DrPhil and others got good pricing too.
    You'll have to PM for recommendations as public naming of installers currently against forum charter.
    Shop around, put as many panels up as possible (ignore planning restrictions) and get as big an inverter as possible, there is little difference in inverter prices the higher you go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm just getting a 404 error when I click that link. Do you mind posting what the quote was?

Equipment costs
    12x Longi 355w All Black Mono solar panel
    Solis Mini 3000 4G with DC inverter Eastron
    SDM120A Single Phase Energy Meter
    Eddi Immersion Controller Harvi Wireless CT Clamp Projoy
    4 Pole Fire Safety Switch PEFS-EL16-4
    KG20-4 DC isolator
    20x Renusol mid clamp (black)
    8x Renusol end cap (silver)
    28x Renusol portrait pan tile roof hook
    8x Renusol rail splice
    9x Renusol rail 3.2m silver
    AC Equipment misc
    DELIVERY
    Total equipment cost €3,705.13

Labour costs
    Total labour and overheads €1,587.50
    Total incl vat
    €6,007.13

Agreed on battery, it also makes sense to get an EDDI IMHO and you can run CT clamps to that if easier than the Zappi2 to get full functionality out of the MyEnegri gear you have.

Both quotes are too high, I know it's a pain but I highly suggest you read both the 2018 and 2020 (this thread) Quotes in full to see this yourself.
    As an example, I put in a 7.4kWp panel system with 5kW hybrid inverter and 2.4kW PylonTech battery, all the safety gear etc etc for €5.6k after grant.
    DrPhil and others got good pricing too.
    You'll have to PM for recommendations as public naming of installers currently against forum charter.
    Shop around, put as many panels up as possible (ignore planning restrictions) and get as big an inverter as possible, there is little difference in inverter prices the higher you go...

Thanks for the feedback! Yes the Eddi is included in both quotes as thats what I requested, along with a Harvi.

I think the first quote is using solartricity as their supplier as when I run the same config through it comes back similar with same part numbers etc., less cost but the are running a business so I would expect some markup.

However quote 2 looks VERY expensive and looks like the inverter is not as good as the one in quote 1, certainly a lot cheaper yet their price is much more. Very disappointed here with their obvious price gouging. I looked back over the thread, but the prices are certainly different to the ones we are getting these days.

I just want an honest quote at an honest price, seems to be too much to ask for now which is really frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Having priced all the parts myself, seems like a lot of the companies are asking for 4k to install/profit just because they're busy and because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cyloncity

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Having priced all the parts myself, seems like a lot of the companies are asking for 4k to install/profit just because they're busy and because they can.

4k easily...I'd say some are trying their luck at 6k plus if we assume they are getting the material at significantly less than we could.
    Ultimately if you want to go green/lean towards off grid (at the moment) then don't expect to break even, ever I think. The products will need replacing before they are paid off at today's quotes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Because to operate in Eco or Eco+ mode it needs to differenciate PV generated power.
    If it is not CT'ing the PV generation then how else will the Zappi know to either supplement with Grid power or even if Eco+ (100% PV power only) possible?

Don't know why we are debating the inclusion of one extra CT Clamp in an overall outlay typically €5k+.

I wasn't debating having one, I was querying why championcc thought the zappi required a ct on pv generation for it to work properly but the eddi didnt (neither of them do).

The zappi doesn't need a ct on pv generation to utilise Eco or eco+ mode correctly at all, it just needs one on the grid feed so it can detect when you are exporting. The one on pv generation is just a nice to have for logging purposes.

I never realised that, still, for such a series of costs I would insist on a second CT to gain the functionality and I assume future proofing for when MyEnergi can handle battery charge/discharge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

SD_DRACULA wrote: »

Agreed but not all setups are the same, my setup is a bungalow. so no scaffolding and very straight forward one day installation.

Some are over multiple aspects, multiple roofs and at height.

I never realised that, still, for such a series of costs I would insist on a second CT to gain the functionality and I assume future proofing for when MyEnergi can handle battery charge/discharge

Can't ever see them supporting a DC / Hybrid battery. My hope would be that they will be able to have an AC connected battery have a prioritization between a Zappi and Eddi. At present, it's either before both or after both.

I no longer use the MyEnergi app as I now use a Node Red Dashboard, being fed by a data stream from the inverters' RS485 port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Agreed. A second CT will not help the Zappi distinguish between solar PV and battery output. I agree with Mickeroo that the PV CT is completely unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

garo wrote: »
    Agreed. A second CT will not help the Zappi distinguish between solar PV and battery output. I agree with Mickeroo that the PV CT is completely unnecessary.

I think the zappi has the option of charging on solar not just solar excess (ignoring the house useage, that's just imported)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Ah ok. But I really don't see the point of that. Electricity is fungible. Just set the min green setting accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

It doesn't though. It operates perfectly fine with just a grid CT, it bases all it's decisions on the amount of electricity being exported to the grid (even if there's a CT on the PV).

In Eco mode it tells the car that it can draw either 1.3kW or the amount being exported to the grid, whichever is greater. It continually adjusts the amount going to the car to prevent export to the grid, but it never tells the car to draw less than 1.3kW, even if that 1.3kW is taken fully from the grid.

In Eco+ mode, it's the same except it won't send the minimum 1.3kW to the car, it will only send whatever would be exported. So, if you're only exporting <1.3kW, it'll stop the charging until export reaches that minimum level (although there are menu options to allow a lower percentage of green electricity to be used).
    True enough :)

It's only required for the Zappi display/App/online account to provide accurate PV generation data.

It can make a good guess at PV generation in certain cases even without PV CT, e.g. if there's any export, it marks that as being PV generated, or if you're charging the car and sending 3kW to the car, but it detects 0 grid import, it marks the 3kW as being PV generation, since it knows it must be PV generated since it's not coming from the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

How high can you actually go with a hybrid inverter? I see various mentions of Solis having a single phase 6kW hybrid inverter, but I can not find it on any of the major Irish or UK websites - midsummer etc, the largest is the 5kW - (which I have). On the Solis site, and others, I see a 6kW, but it is 3 phase and does not have the nice big screen showing all the power flows etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

The Zappi manual from page 30 shows what the additional CTs are used for: https://myenergi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/zappi-manual-v2.0_english.pdf

Not sure this will format well and the image is missing but here's a copy and paste:

CT Sensor Installation
    Current Transformers (CTs) are used to measure current at various places of the installation. For example, the Grid connection
    point, the solar/wind inverter or a static battery system.
    Installation of a CT to monitor the Grid connection point is required. Other CTs are optional and can be purchased separately.
    The number and location of CTs used within an installation will vary according to devices installed and the user requirements.
    CTs can be wired to any myenergi device with CT inputs (e.g. eddi, zappi or harvi). This enables very flexible installation as the
    CT can be wired to the nearest device. Note: The harvi device can be used if it is not practical to connect any CT to the eddi or
    zappi.
    Once installed the CTs need to be configured, see CT Config (p22) for details of how to configure the CTs.
    Grid CT
    The Grid CT sensor (supplied) needs to be clipped around either the Live or Neutral meter tail of the electricity supply meter. If
    using the Neutral conductor, reverse the direction of the sensor (so the arrow is reversed).
    The positioning of the Grid CT sensor is crucial, take note of the following when deciding where best to install the sensor:
    ✔ Can be connected to any myenergi device with a
    CT input e.g. the eddi or zappi (wired sensor) or
    harvi (wireless sensor).
    ✔ ALL of the import and exported power must be
    'seen' by the sensor – be sure to install it
    upstream of ANY junction box or 'Henley Block'
    (the CT can be fitted inside the consumer unit).
    ✔ There must be only one Grid CT per-phase for
    the whole installation. (There can be other CTs
    but only one at the grid connection point, also
    note CTs for third-party devices do not matter).
    ✔ The CT should be on the Live or Neutral cable.
    ✔ The arrow on the bottom of the CT sensor must
    be pointing towards the consumer unit (in the
    direction of grid import) if on the Live cable, or
    reversed if on the Neutral cable.
    ✔ Ensure the CT is fully closed and clicks shut.
    ✔ Be sure to wire the CT the correct way round;
    black [–], red [+] otherwise import and export
    readings will be swapped.
    Additional CTs
    There is an option to add other CT sensors (available separately) for monitoring the generation or other appliances such as
    battery systems or general loads. Installing a CT for the generator (PV system) will allow the main screen to show the generated
    power and the total power consumption of the all the other appliances in the property.

CTs can also be used to limit the power drawn form the supply. See Load Balancing / Current Limiting p32.
    ✔ Additional CTs Can be connected to any myenergi device with a CT input that is linked to the network (see Linking Devices
    p24).
    ✔ The arrow on the bottom of the sensor must be pointing in the direction of normal power flow (e.g. away from the PV
    inverter) if on the Live cable or reversed if on the Neutral cable.
    ✔ Ensure the sensor is fully closed and clicks shut.
    ✔ Be sure to wire the CT the correct way round; black [–], red [+].

Extending the sensor cable
    If there is a need to extend the sensor cable, twisted-pair cable like CAT5 or telephone cable must be used. DO NOT use mains
    cable, bell wire or speaker cable. It is important to use only twisted-pair cable to maintain signal integrity. The cable can be
    extended up to 100m.
    Wireless CT Sensor (optional accessory)
    In some cases it can be difficult or impractical to install a wired sensor. For example it may be
    the case that the zappi unit needs to be connected to a sub-board, rather than main
    consumer unit and two consumer units are in different buildings.
    The solution to is to install harvi – a clever little device that enables the zappi and eddi
    products to be installed without using wired CT sensors for measuring the grid and or
    generation power; instead the CT sensor is connected to harvi.
    The harvi does not need batteries or a power supply – the energy from the sensor is
    harvested and used to transmit the measurement signal to the zappi or eddi. This means
    batteries or electrical wiring are eliminated!
    Up to 3 CT sensors may be used with harvi and it also supports 3-phase systems if three sensors are connected.
    Refer to the harvi installation guide for details on installing and configuring harvi for your system.
    CT Golden Rules
    Grid CT
    • Only ONE Grid CT per phase (check for only one ~ symbol in Linked Devices Info).
    • Located to ‘see’ ALL import and ALL export current (i.e. always upstream of any junction box).
    • Arrow pointing in direction of import (e.g. towards consumer unit if on Live cable).
    • Must be on the same phase as the Master myenergi device.
    All other CTs
    • Arrow should point towards the consumer unit.
    3-Phase harvi CTs
    • When using harvi in 3-phase mode, the CT inputs correspond to the phase number (e.g. CT1 = Phase 1).
    CT can dos
    ✔ Can be wired to ANY myenergi device in the network.
    ✔ harvi can be used to make ANY CT wireless.
    ✔ Cable can be extended up to 100m (must use twisted-pair cable e.g. one pair of CAT5).
    ✔ Cable can be shortened.
    ✔ Can be clipped around two or more conductors feeding appliances of the same type (e.g. two Live cables from two
    inverters that are on the same phase).
    ✔ Can be in close proximity to other CTs.
    ✔ Wires can be swapped around in device to reverse the direction of the readings (e.g. change import to export).
    ✔ Can be grouped with other CTs of the same type so that the power reading is summed (e.g. east and west solar
    Generation).
    ✔ Can be used on the Neutral conductor (direction of arrow or wires must be reversed).
    ✔ Can be set to None if you want to exclude the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dcn90

Hi all,

I'm undertaking a house restoration project this year and would really appreciate some help on this subject! 3-phase supply to the house and looking to have a substantial PV array (22-28 panels) as there's an ideal south facing unobstructed roof which would work well. I'm looking for a company just to do the roof work as I am an electrician and can do the wiring. If anyone can PM me a company name that might be worth getting a price, it would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

dcn90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm undertaking a house restoration project this year and would really appreciate some help on this subject! 3-phase supply to the house and looking to have a substantial PV array (22-28 panels) as there's an ideal south facing unobstructed roof which would work well. I'm looking for a company just to do the roof work as I am an electrician and can do the wiring. If anyone can PM me a company name that might be worth getting a price, it would be much appreciated!

PM sent

Lush wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes the Eddi is included in both quotes as thats what I requested, along with a Harvi.

I think the first quote is using solartricity as their supplier as when I run the same config through it comes back similar with same part numbers etc., less cost but they are running a business so I would expect some markup.

However quote 2 looks VERY expensive and looks like the inverter is not as good as the one in quote 1, certainly a lot cheaper yet their price is much more. Very disappointed here with their obvious price gouging. I looked back over the thread, but the prices are certainly different to the ones we are getting these days.

I just want an honest quote at an honest price, seems to be too much to ask for now which is really frustrating!

UPDATE

I have now finally a quotation from a well-documented and used company here on the boards...

Here are their quotes BEFORE the grant, remember they handle the grant application so take the grant directly & require a 25% deposit which I think is fair. The grant for the 10 panel with a battery option has a possible value of €3000 according to the grant application:

10 PANELS 340 WATT JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE.

PRICE 7900 EUROS INC.VAT.

MINUS BATTERY 6900 EUROS INC VAT.

8 PANELS 340 WATT JA SOLAR
    2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE

PRICE 7400 EUROS INC, VAT.

MINUS BATTERY 6400 EUROS INC.VAT.

PM me for details if you want the companies details.

:cool:

Can someone cast an eye over this for me, as I'm honestly going quote blind
    Before grant but would be at a lower rate, yeah?

549763.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Get the bigger inverter 5kw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement