Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mineral bolus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Sami23 wrote: »
    I'm a small bit ahead of you - have one bought but not setup yet :)

Thinking of bolusing for the first time this year myself here.
    Does bolus's cover tetany in any way same as licks ?

No. Tetany is low levels of magnesium in the blood. Fresh grass not staying long enough in the system for magnesium to be absorbed. Mineral lick buckets and keep them out of reach of bull calves.

Just heard the first cuckoo outside just now. What a welcome sound - Summer is on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

I don't use boluses but i thought that there are boluses which give protection against tetany?

You're right - I didn't know they were available.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Norbrook-Opti-Mag-Bolus-%2810%29/9001509

Not cheap ! 1 application x 2 boluses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

No, I've no head scoop. Might have to make one up. Thinking about it already.

If you've a bad back, it's very foolish you have no head scoop.
    Unless there's a reason you cant have one, you should prioritise just buying one and getting it fitted immediately.
    You'll not regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

Jb1989 wrote: »
    If you've a bad back, it's very foolish you have no head scoop.
    Unless there's a reason you cant have one, you should prioritise just buying one and getting it fitted immediately.
    You'll not regret it.

Agree, you need a head scoop for bolusing sucklers, I even have a few that I can't do with the head scoop, stubborn angus, won't go up the crush

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    Agree, you need a head scoop for bolusing sucklers, I even have a few that I can't do with the head scoop, stubborn angus, won't go up the crush

Have you a backing bar? Bit of patience and a backing bar kept moveing behind them bit by bit should get the awkwardest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

Any of ye using Auctus Nutrigain - Beef Performer, thinking of giving 30ml to the calves when turning them out to grass in the coming days, they also recommend giving it when injecting for worms, supposed to take the edge off the strong worm dose...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Mineral lick buckets and keep them out of reach of bull calves.

Shur how would you keep the bull calves away from the buckets if cows and calves are out grazing for the summer.

Are mag buckets any harm to stock bulls

Sami23 wrote: »
    Shur how would you keep the bull calves away from the buckets if cows and calves are out grazing for the summer.

Are mag buckets any harm to stock bulls

I have never seen the stock bull at the buckets, calves are definitely attracted to them.

Raise the buckets out of reach of calves. In the past someone on here designed their own mineral bucket stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

hearing good feedback about these products especially the cow bolus

http://iomlananimalscience.ie/products/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

orm0nd wrote: »
    hearing good feedback about these products especially the cow bolus

http://iomlananimalscience.ie/products/

Where can you buy them? Never heard of them before. The 240 day bolus sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Where can you buy them? Never heard of them before. The 240 day bolus sounds good.[/

http://iomlananimalscience.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Had a blast of growvite mineral drench on hand due to mix up at purchasing. A good few of the milking heifers had foxy coats so we said we’d bolus the whole herd as a few cows were foxy too. Did it last year on the first calvers at vets advice and it seemed to work well so said we’d do the whole herd this year. We did it last Thursday using the hook drencher that we use for dosing. Anyway all went well and we also gave a bolus as well to anything that we’re planning on giving sexed semen to. Yesterday morning at milking a cow was panting a bit and didn’t want to come in to be milked. Didn’t eat much ration so rang vet. He listened to her and said her lungs were under savage trouble. Slightly low temperature which would indicate that she wasn’t fighting a pneumonia type problem. Then he asked was she dosed recently (she’s 10 years old) and we said about the oral mineral drench. He said there’s a good chance that it went down the wrong way. He treated her with a couple of things and said she’d be under pressure. She was panting all day standing up. Came out this morning and the cow was dead. Absolutely gutted.

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Had a blast of growvite mineral drench on hand due to mix up at purchasing. A good few of the milking heifers had foxy coats so we said we’d bolus the whole herd as a few cows were foxy too. Did it last year on the first calvers at vets advice and it seemed to work well so said we’d do the whole herd this year. We did it last Thursday using the hook drencher that we use for dosing. Anyway all went well and we also gave a bolus as well to anything that we’re planning on giving sexed semen to. Yesterday morning at milking a cow was panting a bit and didn’t want to come in to be milked. Didn’t eat much ration so rang vet. He listened to her and said her lungs were under savage trouble. Slightly low temperature which would indicate that she wasn’t fighting a pneumonia type problem. Then he asked was she dosed recently (she’s 10 years old) and we said about the oral mineral drench. He said there’s a good chance that it went down the wrong way. He treated her with a couple of things and said she’d be under pressure. She was panting all day standing up. Came out this morning and the cow was dead. Absolutely gutted.

Ffs. Sorry to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Balls... sorry to hear. Would have thought the growvite so sticky that that would never have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Desperate. Twasnt the bolus

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Desperate. Twasnt the bolus

Sorry that was meant as a question not statement.

How does one know what minerals are lacking or bolus to give?
    Or is it's just worht it to cover them?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Sorry that was meant as a question not statement.

That particular cow wasn’t bolused. Only young cows that were getting sexed were getting the bolus. From now on we’ll be using Multimin pre breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

How does one know what minerals are lacking or bolus to give?
    Or is it's just worht it to cover them?

Notice thrive could’ve been better, Last few years, nothing had changed on my side only was dosing cattle with a white worm dose with selenium added but changed over to ivomec.
    So decided to blood test my animals at the next herd test. Selenium in the animals were almost zero. Well worth doing. Only blood tested a a small section. That led me to test the soils on the farm and the out farm was low in selenium, where the weanlings would graze. Supplementing animals and soil now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

jntsnk wrote: »
    Notice thrive could’ve been better, Last few years, nothing had changed on my side only was dosing cattle with a white worm dose with selenium added but changed over to ivomec.
    So decided to blood test my animals at the next herd test. Selenium in the animals were almost zero. Well worth doing. Only blood tested a a small section. That led me to test the soils on the farm and the out farm was low in selenium, where the weanlings would graze. Supplementing animals and soil now .

What do you use? I blood tested a few cows here and they were low in selenium, i won't be using a bolus, but i will use some sort of suppliment be it lick bucket or something to put through the drinking water. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

What do you use? I blood tested a few cows here and they were low in selenium, i won't be using a bolus, but i will use some sort of suppliment be it lick bucket or something to put through the drinking water. Thanks.

Selenium bolus and fertilizer with added Se for the soil

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭edward901

We have a cow here...calved a month ago.Has a brown coat grazing ok,eating her cubes but very backward looking.Showed her to the vet.Reccomended a mineral bolus.Is there a single mineral dose that I could give to her?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

edward901 wrote: »
    We have a cow here...calved a month ago.Has a brown coat grazing ok,eating her cubes but very backward looking.Showed her to the vet.Reccomended a mineral bolus.Is there a single mineral dose that I could give to her?

Get the blood analysed from a few to find out what they're lacking. You can always use a copper bolus after the samples have been taken while you are waiting on results. IAS labs is who I used 30! :eek: years ago to find out what our mineral problems are. Takes a long time to correct a soil problem, easier to treat the animals IMHO. https://iaslabs.ie/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

Lads can I ask what ye do with the applicator guns, I have three applicators here and ordered all sure bolus certain that one would fit, the all sure bolus is two thin bolus so very loose in the gun bloody frustrating forking out another 40 euros for a gun, my own fault for changing bolus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

jfh wrote: »
    Lads can I ask what ye do with the applicator guns, I have three applicators here and ordered all sure bolus certain that one would fit, the all sure bolus is two thin bolus so very loose in the gun bloody frustrating forking out another 40 euros for a gun, my own fault for changing bolus

You could try keeping the cows head level as you put the gun in. PIA I know.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This is the gun for the Allsure Cattle boluses;

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/allsurecopasure-balling-gun

I bought one about 2 weeks ago. €41.50 including delivery. It does work well and seems well built.
    Both boluses, black and green, go into it together.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 11 d.colbertait

Hi all. I'm actually doing a PhD developing a new mineral bolus. Would it be ok if I was to post a small survey I have regarding bolus use/feedback? It takes an average on 2minutes to complete

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Going dosing the cows later on for worms. While there in I was thinking of giving them their boluses as they’ll be calving from January. Would it be ok to do so or would there be a fear they’d cough them up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Administered correctly they shouldn't cough them up. Place the bolus gun at the top of the gullet and pull the trigger. Watch for them swallowing and job done.

Advertisement