Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mineral bolus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Sprinkle minerals onto silage daily is the cheapest I believe and reliable enough method. A bucket in the precalving area for the ones that dupe you for weeks
    Bolus for heifers and shy cows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Grueller

49801 wrote: »
    Sprinkle minerals onto silage daily is the cheapest I believe and reliable enough method. A bucket in the precalving area for the ones that dupe you for weeks
    Bolus for heifers and shy cows

I go with boluses at housing time. I used to go with minerals on silage but all cows cannot eat at the same time. The cost is almost identical. The results at calving time with calf vigour are markedly better with boluses.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

I wasn't going to go in twice with trodax just know it's a good dose. Would I be better off giving them a drench before housing? I just know a few have a heavy burden of worms and was looking for an effective kill🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I wasn't going to go in twice with trodax just know it's a good dose. Would I be better off giving them a drench before housing? I just know a few have a heavy burden of worms and was looking for an effective kill🤔
    Is Trodax not just for Fluke?

croot wrote: »
    Is Trodax not just for Fluke?

Sorry your right! What's a good dose for worms? They need to be fine now and probably a few weeks after housing. Some will be outwintered with access to shed for shelter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Sorry your right! What's a good dose for worms? They need to be fine now and probably a few weeks after housing. Some will be outwintered with access to shed for shelter

I've used Endospec 10 or Albex 10 drenches the last few years on cows. Works fine for me.

croot wrote: »
    I've used Endospec 10 or Albex 10 drenches the last few years on cows. Works fine for me.

What's the main difference between fluke and worms?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Anyone giving the allsure cattle bolus to calves?

Would it be dangerous to give one application to 3 month old calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Anyone giving the allsure cattle bolus to calves?

Would it be dangerous to give one application to 3 month old calves?

I use the mayo healthcare calf bolus for calves at turnout cows and maidens get a cosecure bolus

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I use the mayo healthcare calf bolus for calves at turnout cows and maidens get a cosecure bolus

Do you usually give the calves the recommended or more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Animax Cattle bolus - PR4099 https://animax-vet.com/products/uk/cattle-products/
    Applicator: Cattle Applicator Animax code: PR4163
    Trace element content
    Copper oxide 30g
    Cobalt 500mg
    Iodine 3400mg
    Selenium 500mg

Animax Calf Bolus code: PR4199 https://animax-vet.com/products/roi/calf-products/
    Application guidelines:Calves weighing 75-200kg: 1 application
    Applicator: Calf Applicator Animax code: PR4194
    Trace element content
    Copper oxide 15g
    Cobalt 512mg
    Iodine 1700mg
    Selenium 250mg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lofty0990

mahoney_j wrote: »

Two queries

1 What size is the mayo calf bolus ?

2. Any reason cosecure instead of mayo for older animals?

Thanks

I have used the allsure bolus the last few years and only found them ok. I found Alltrace better which I used previously.
    The following are on the market, what do people find the best for suckler cows and calves?

Alltrace
    Allsure
    Master Vet
    Cosecure
    Osmonds
    Allguard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Animax Cattle bolus - PR4099 https://animax-vet.com/products/uk/cattle-products/
    Applicator: Cattle Applicator Animax code: PR4163
    Trace element content
    Copper oxide 30g
    Cobalt 500mg
    Iodine 3400mg
    Selenium 500mg

Vet recommended the above Allsure Cattle Bolus for my suckler cows as I was having a few repeats and calf health isn't great. A lot of scour and 2 cases of diphtheria.
    He said to do them every 6 months as the effect lasts about 5 months. Also to give them 6 weeks before calving.
    They are mad dear as you know. €14 total for the 2 applications (total 4 boluses) each time.
    I tried a cow this evening as she was in the yard with a sick calf. No way could I hold her head up, like in the old days. Either I'm gone weaker or cows are stronger. Anyway, put rope halter on her and tied head more out straight than up. No bother do her once tied.

Anyway I was wondering how other people got on with them and if once a year, 6 weeks before calving would be enough, giving the cost and hassle of doing.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Vet recommended the above Allsure Cattle Bolus for my suckler cows as I was having a few repeats and calf health isn't great. A lot of scour and 2 cases of diphtheria.
    He said to do them every 6 months as the effect lasts about 5 months. Also to give them 6 weeks before calving.
    They are mad dear as you know. €14 total for the 2 applications (total 4 boluses) each time.
    I tried a cow this evening as she was in the yard with a sick calf. No way could I hold her head up, like in the old days. Either I'm gone weaker or cows are stronger. Anyway, put rope halter on her and tied head more out straight than up. No bother do her once tied.

Anyway I was wondering how other people got on with them and if once a year, 6 weeks before calving would be enough, giving the cost and hassle of doing.
    I’m using the master vet ones last few years , they work out cheaper , it’s only 1 per cow ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Gave the maidens 2 cosicure boluses today, have used them the last few years. Can get the two boluses down in the one go with the proper gun, fr maidens easier to hold onto than suckler tho. Don't give the cows anything but they'd be on ration anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ve had luck with them anyway.been using them for about 3 years. I find them a lot cleaner than the growvite mineral dose.

Whatever cows I can handle, I do before calving and once in the summer. Every cow calved a month earlier this year. And in one cows case, she was calved 7 weeks earlier than last year.

I’ve a head scoop ordered off a local hardware store but they are struggling to get it in with lock down.

Vet recommended Animax Allsure bolus for here too. Only give the bolus prior to breeding season, otherwsie pre-calver mineral licks at housing.

Head scoop used here for bolus, dip the gun in water, slips down the throat much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We were using them but switched to drenches, 6 weeks before calving. A lot more trace elements in it, and it is cheaper

We were using them but switched to drenches, 6 weeks before calving. A lot more trace elements in it, and it is cheaper

Have you the name of the drench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I do them all after calving, using the agrimin All Trace Hi-iodine the last 4 or 5 of years and fertility seemed to improve when I started using them. They are a good bit bigger than the allsure ones though and harder to get the gun down and the cows have to get 2 of them as well but I have the gun that gives the 2 together. Did 20 cows on Monday, I don't bother putting them out the head gate, just pack the chute good and tight and once their head is up they don't have much space to be flinging you around. If you dip the gun in a jug of liquid parrifin it will slip down a bit easier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Multimin injection is getting great reports, 4e per hd roughly and do 1 month pre breeding

Multimin injection is getting great reports, 4e per hd roughly and do 1 month pre breeding

Multimin doesn't appear to have the Iodine -

Zinc: 60 mg,
    Manganese: 10 mg,
    Copper: 15 mg,
    Selenium: 5 mg,

Before we started using the bolus, it used be
    copper injection
    Iodine oral drench
    Selenium injection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have you the name of the drench.

Aul fella used buy the Lloyd but I'd buy the turbo thrive ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Costs me 7 euros per head & I don't think it was much good

I did a batch of cows and young heifer with the Allsure Cattle boluses today. Tried the first few without the halter and I could feel it in my back. Have a bad back and need to mind it.
    Worked with the halter then after that. All grand except the last one, a flighty heifer. She fought we all the way, even catching my hand in the gun. She was the only one to spit one up, but I got it back into her.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

I did a batch of cows and young heifer with the Allsure Cattle boluses today. Tried the first few without the halter and I could feel it in my back. Have a bad back and need to mind it.
    Worked with the halter then after that. All grand except the last one, a flighty heifer. She fought we all the way, even catching my hand in the gun. She was the only one to spit one up, but I got it back into her.

Do you not have a head scoop

Sami23 wrote: »
    Do you not have a head scoop

No, I've no head scoop. Might have to make one up. Thinking about it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

No, I've no head scoop. Might have to make one up. Thinking about it already.

I'm a small bit ahead of you - have one bought but not setup yet :)

Thinking of bolusing for the first time this year myself here.
    Does bolus's cover tetany in any way same as licks ?

• Advertisement

Sami23 wrote: »
    I'm a small bit ahead of you - have one bought but not setup yet :)

Thinking of bolusing for the first time this year myself here.
    Does bolus's cover tetany in any way same as licks ?

This is what's in the Allsure Cattle, so no Magnesium. I would see these ones more for fertility.

Trace element content
    Copper oxide 30g
    Cobalt 500mg
    Iodine 3400mg
    Selenium 500mg

https://animax-vet.com/products/roi/cattle-products/#:~:text=Allsure%20Cattle%20boluses%20are%20easily,enlarged%20and%20are%20shed%20naturally.

Advertisement