Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

~ Building a House in 2020 ~

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'm in the north east and even getting quotes from builders for building one offs is difficult from talking to a friend who's hoping to build. They're just throwing out juicy prices, and getting them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

km79 wrote: »
    Would bring the cost of building our 2000 square foot bungalow in at 240k. Realistically I’m allowing for 300k and not even having all bedrooms finished ! Would hope to have most outside work done though

Bear in mind that L-M done some work himself so this is reflected in the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Gumbo wrote: »
    Bear in mind that L-M done some work himself so this is reflected in the costs.

Sorry the figures I quoted were to get the whole lot done by a contractor, I just posted that for a fair comparison.

I’m hoping to have it a fair chunk cheaper than that by the time I’m finished.

L-M wrote: »
    Sorry the figures I quoted were to get the whole lot done by a contractor, I just posted that for a fair comparison.

I’m hoping to have it a fair chunk cheaper than that by the time I’m finished.

You done some trench digging, entrance creating, top soil removal etc yourself based on your previous posts.

It also looks like you were looking after the Commencement Notices etc yourself as i remember answering those questions for you.

All those reduce costs and helps big time.

You done some trench digging, entrance creating, top soil removal etc yourself based on your previous posts.

It also looks like you were looking after the Commencement Notices etc yourself as i remember answering those questions for you.

All those reduce costs and helps big time.

Yeah I’ve all that done but my initial quote to get the house to a second fix stage from scratch was 105 a sq foot. I’ve agreed a different deal with the contractor after that but if I wanted turn key excluding the kitchen 105 would have gotten me there.

The house is 3000 sq foot so that was 315 for the house, another 6 for the arch and engineer, 10 in fees (council, ESB, water), kitchen Est 20k. That’s 351. Spend the rest fitting it out internally, 50k would get you a long way.

The work I’m doing myself is all coming off that figure but it’s more than do able without lifting a finger for 133 sq foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

km79 wrote: »
    Are you tilng it in gold :D
    That’s crazy money

Maybe it is....but I feel I am doing it right. Both of us are working full time and cannot spend the time clearing topsoil or digging trenches. Its a complicated high spec house that's split level.

As keep saying this is my all in cost from planning fees to WiFi access points and fridges and freezers. Built to A2 standard with triple glazed aluclad.

Must say the build process is very stress free almost boring :P and we will be in within the year, COVID might delay that a month or two now.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Maybe it is....but I feel I am doing it right. Both of us are working full time and cannot spend the time clearing topsoil or digging trenches. Its a complicated high spec house that's split level.

As keep saying this is my all in cost from planning fees to WiFi access points and fridges and freezers. Built to A2 standard with triple glazed aluclad.

Must say the build process is very stress free almost boring :P and we will be in within the year, COVID might delay that a month or two now.

We both work full time too, one of us 6 days, incase that’s aimed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

I'm in the same boat. Doing a deep retrofit plus extension from a D to A1/A2 and it's costing €360k with a builder. It's going to be 200m2 when completed, currently 149m2. We've had to outsource everything to a builder. On the face of it people say 'you're mad' and say you should go self build or try to some parts yourself but that's very much circumstances dependent. I don't have any expertese at all and we have sold our house and don't have the time to fumble our way through it ourselves. We have 2 kids and they need stability.

So the point is, there are often good reasons why people need to consciously and willingly pay what might be considered over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Has anyone put in polished concrete in living areas or bathrooms?

Any feedback on it much appreciated. Considering it for our new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

enricoh wrote: »
    I'm in the north east and even getting quotes from builders for building one offs is difficult from talking to a friend who's hoping to build. They're just throwing out juicy prices, and getting them!

Yeah, I got some mad quotes back. Like taking the píss. One lad was working out at 280k for a 170 square metre dormer, no kitchen, flooring, sanitary ware, MVHR, heat pump or outside works(patio, tarmac, landscape), so close to 400k all in. I have the site. That's banditry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    I am doing a renovation and deep retrofit (to A1) of a 145sqm house built in the 1960's and adding an extension of 55sqm and the total cost is coming in at €350,000. Granted it's a high spec, but it's crazy money. Location Wicklow. South.

Can I ask you a question on this, we are getting the same done, house the same size etc. Was this what the builder initially quoted or have costs crept up ? Our extension will be ICF and the new BER will be A2 including heat pump and mechanical recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Can I ask you a question on this, we are getting the same done, house the same size etc. Was this what the builder initially quoted or have costs crept up ? Our extension will be ICF and the new BER will be A2 including heat pump and mechanical recovery.

The initial tender response was €415k which was way beyond our budget. So we had to chop things from the spec and plan to try to bring it back to sub €350k. Unfortunately from the get go we were overshooting and had to backtrack. Our architect said that a similar job to ours was done for €350k the previous year. Prices are mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    The initial tender response was €415k which was way beyond our budget. So we had to chop things from the spec and plan to try to bring it back to sub €350k. Unfortunately from the get go we were overshooting and had to backtrack. Our architect said that a similar job to ours was done for €350k the previous year. Prices are mental.
    Thank you so much for coming back. We are also at our limit so glad that’s an agreed price and not an increase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Looking through this I feel I might have to redesign my house. Im designing the house myself and am ready to hand it over to get the plans properly drawn up. It's a story and a half, nothing fancy 2200sq ft. Planning on doing a lot of the work as I'm a Carpenter, so the roof/1st&2nd fix, slabbing/insulating/tiling/painting will be on my to do list. Without a kitchen and bathroom fitout im hoping to get it built for 230k.... whatcha think ... possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

tonydude wrote: »
    Looking through this I feel I might have to redesign my house. Im designing the house myself and am ready to hand it over to get the plans properly drawn up. It's a story and a half, nothing fancy 2200sq ft. Planning on doing a lot of the work as I'm a Carpenter, so the roof/1st&2nd fix, slabbing/insulating/tiling/painting will be on my to do list. Without a kitchen and bathroom fitout im hoping to get it built for 230k.... whatcha think ... possible?

What technologies are you putting into it?
    You'll be saving a good deal of money. Who's going to help you with the roof, slabbing?

What technologies are you putting into it?
    You'll be saving a good deal of money. Who's going to help you with the roof, slabbing?

My dad's a chippy plus I've 4 brothers . I'll probably get triple glass and solar for water. I still don't know about heating, I'm not sold on air to water.

My dad's a chippy plus I've 4 brothers . I'll probably get triple glass and solar for water. I still don't know about heating, I'm not sold on air to water.

Solar won’t cover all your water.
    You need a dedicated space heating and water heating device. Gas boilers are being phased out. A2W is best way forward.

Solar won’t cover all your water.
    You need a dedicated space heating and water heating device. Gas boilers are being phased out. A2W is best way forward.

Yea , it'll be got to take the sting out of the heating the water from cold. I'll be going oil or A2W, haven't decided yet. Big layout of money for A2W and I've heard the units needs replacing after about 10 years so that's another layout of money, but please correct me if I'm wrong. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Yea , it'll be got to take the sting out of the heating the water from cold. I'll be going oil or A2W, haven't decided yet. Big layout of money for A2W and I've heard the units needs replacing after about 10 years so that's another layout of money, but please correct me if I'm wrong. ðŸ‘

We just built ourselves and are very pleased at how efficient the A2W unit is and has performed. UFH everywhere, house set at 21.5, bedrooms 19.5, floor space 215sqm.

On average this winter from Nov to end of Feb we spent 13 euros/month on hot water and 31 euros/month for heat.

If you insulate properly, eliminate cold bridging and aim for Airtightness of 1 ach I think heat pumps are the only way to go in our climate.

Thinking of going back to oil, sends chills up my spine :)

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

Hey all, first time here.

I just got a quote from a QS for building a 125 sqm passive house in Dublin and it blew me away. It also seems much higher than anything I've seen here!

So it is an unusual site, it's living room, kitchen, study bathroom and utility room on the ground floor and 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs (upper floor is a lot smaller footprint. It's shared like this cause of tree roots and shadow casting. The living room is on posts due to tree roots.

Anyway, to the meaty bit, I was quoted over €550k for the build including site costs, kitchen, soft furnishings, preliminaries & insurances, etc., not including architects fees or VAT. Coming in about €700k all in, over €5,600/sqm! This seems crazy to me but the architect says this QS is normally pretty accurate.

What would you recommend are my next steps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

kevpatts wrote: »

Change the spec or walk away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I just got a quote from a QS for building a 125 sqm passive house in Dublin and it blew me away. It also seems much higher than anything I've seen here!

So it is an unusual site, it's living room, kitchen, study bathroom and utility room on the ground floor and 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs (upper floor is a lot smaller footprint. It's shared like this cause of tree roots and shadow casting. The living room is on posts due to tree roots.

Anyway, to the meaty bit, I was quoted over €550k for the build including site costs, kitchen, soft furnishings, preliminaries & insurances, etc., not including architects fees or VAT. Coming in about €700k all in, over €5,600/sqm! This seems crazy to me but the architect says this QS is normally pretty accurate.

Prices for everything has gone through the roof. Materials up by 40% in some places. Now really isn't the time to be starting a build unfortunately

Just a quick question do you mean this is the building costs or is this the price of the land. Because that would explain a lot..

Just a quick question do you mean this is the building costs or is this the price of the land. Because that would explain a lot..

Land price not included. Parents garden.

Where are you based?
    Could be the wealth tax?

• Advertisement

Mmmm....seems a bit high but a couple of thoughts, passive house so that's a bit higher spec than normal, the design also seems a bit more high spec with the living room on posts. Looks like its tight site, is it in Dublin city with difficult access. I see people are being charged 250-300k for extensions on here so builders can pick and choose at the moment. You are also building in the most expensive locations in Ireland (in not Europe..atm)

Mmmm....seems a bit high but a couple of thoughts, passive house so that's a bit higher spec than normal, the design also seems a bit more high spec with the living room on posts. Looks like its tight site, is it in Dublin city with difficult access. I see people are being charged 250-300k for extensions on here so builders can pick and choose at the moment. You are also building in the most expensive locations in Ireland (in not Europe..atm)

Yeah, gotta get a crew over from Germany to build it instead!

Prices for everything has gone through the roof. Materials up by 40% in some places. Now really isn't the time to be starting a build unfortunately

What are people supposed to do? Wait two years for prices to come down a bit?

For those that have already agreed a price with a builder, are you expecting the builder to try to increase the contract price or are you expecting them to honour the agreed price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    What are people supposed to do? Wait two years for prices to come down a bit?

That's up to the proposed owner. I know I can't handle a 40% price increase so I've had to stop.

• Advertisement

That's up to the proposed owner. I know I can't handle a 40% price increase so I've had to stop.

Hard to know. Prices might never come back to where they were.

For those that have already agreed a price with a builder, are you expecting the builder to try to increase the contract price or are you expecting them to honour the agreed price.

Our builder rang us to say insulation was going up and basically we had to suffer the cost of it, it hadn’t actually gone up when he rang so we bought it all and have it stored.

That obviously won’t suit everyone. But I’m hearing stories of everything going up in price. Concrete, steel etc etc etc

We have to build now as we can’t wait for the crystal ball stuff of are pricing going to go up or down

It’s happening across the board in all industries!
    Going back to basics, newspapers ads have gone up in the last 12 months for planning applications. Printing costs have risen too.

Our builder rang us to say insulation was going up and basically we had to suffer the cost of it, it hadn’t actually gone up when he rang so we bought it all and have it stored.

That obviously won’t suit everyone. But I’m hearing stories of everything going up in price. Concrete, steel etc etc etc

We have to build now as we can’t wait for the crystal ball stuff of are pricing going to go up or down

When a builder/contractor was pricing a job, should they not have a factored in potential price increases for COVID and Brexit.

For example, say a builder had the job priced and contract agreed with client at €450k, I'm not sure it's fair on the client to be coming back at this stage now saying the price will be €475k due to materials price increases.

When a builder/contractor was pricing a job, should they not have a factored in potential price increases for COVID and Brexit.

For example, say a builder had the job priced and contract agreed with client at €450k, I'm not sure it's fair on the client to be coming back at this stage now saying the price will be €475k due to materials price increases.

Yeah I don’t know. I’m doing a bit of a hybrid between a self build and contractor so maybe that has played a bit as I’ve gotten fairly solid breakdown of costs from day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

If you build a well detailed airtight, super insulated house and pay attention to detail around cold bridging your oil bill or any heating system costs will be quite low especially if south facing . I done that ten years ago. I burn approx 900 lt of kero per year for a 200 sq/ m house. Less than €600 every year. I do have solar water which means no oil for some part of the year. If I was to do it again I would build to passive design standard and negate the requirement for a expensive heating system. The mantra I followed was build airtight and insulate right. My house would get a crap BER as Oil is dirty but sure ten years ago our electricity wasn’t as clean as it is today.
    We just built ourselves and are very pleased at how efficient the A2W unit is and has performed. UFH everywhere, house set at 21.5, bedrooms 19.5, floor space 215sqm.

On average this winter from Nov to end of Feb we spent 13 euros/month on hot water and 31 euros/month for heat.

If you insulate properly, eliminate cold bridging and aim for Airtightness of 1 ach I think heat pumps are the only way to go in our climate.

Thinking of going back to oil, sends chills up my spine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

P2C wrote: »
    If you build a well detailed airtight, super insulated house and pay attention to detail around cold bridging your oil bill or any heating system costs will be quite low especially if south facing . I done that ten years ago. I burn approx 900 lt of kero per year for a 200 sq/ m house. Less than €600 every year. I do have solar water which means no oil for some part of the year. If I was to do it again I would build to passive design standard and negate the requirement for a expensive heating system. The mantra I followed was build airtight and insulate right. My house would get a crap BER as Oil is dirty but sure ten years ago our electricity wasn’t as clean as it is today.

Would have to agree with this here. I have a 220sqm house running solely on oil, well insulated and 0.6 ach value. Get a decent amount of solar gain during the year. Used 800 litres of oil in the past twelve months for b0th heating and hot water. No solar panels here. Worked out less than 400e to heat house last year albeit oil was cheap. House was always comfortable as wife was wfh with two young kids. Plumbing for air to water was 11k more than for oil. Cant see the payback with A2W. If the house is well insulated you would heat them with a candle. I would imagine in a few years time the horn will be gone off lads for A2W when they realise it's the insulation that is the main player in low energy costs and not the A2W unit.

Problem is I don’t think we have a choice really for the BER and OIL is going to be a fuel of the past some day.

At least the Air to water could be ran off renewal energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

dh1985 wrote: »
    Would have to agree with this here. I have a 220sqm house running solely on oil, well insulated and 0.6 ach value. Get a decent amount of solar gain during the year. Used 800 litres of oil in the past twelve months for b0th heating and hot water. No solar panels here. Worked out less than 400e to heat house last year albeit oil was cheap. House was always comfortable as wife was wfh with two young kids. Plumbing for air to water was 11k more than for oil. Cant see the payback with A2W. If the house is well insulated you would heat them with a candle. I would imagine in a few years time the horn will be gone off lads for A2W when they realise it's the insulation that is the main player in low energy costs and not the A2W unit.

You were quoted 11k for running underfloor piping and manifolds? :eek:

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

You were quoted 11k for running underfloor piping and manifolds? :eek:

No I was quoted 11k more to fully plumb the house using A2W over oil setup. The unit alone was 12k so that was the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

The BER awards people who spend a fortune on expensive technology adding to the overall costs of building. Add the cost of a solar PV to run a heat pump and the payback will be forever. Passive built homes I recall reading score less in the BER test due to not using heat pumps and other tech. I know I would rather have a house that’s costs minimal amt of money to run than having a A1 rated house and a big mortgage. In 2009 when I built my house a 150 cavity wasn’t the norm and I put another 50 mm on the inside. (200 mm wall insulation) . I also done a airtight house. The block layers were laughing at me . It’s the standard now. I am raging that I didn’t go to 300 plus as you only get one chance to do it right. Fabric first, build airtight and insulate right.
    Problem is I don’t think we have a choice really for the BER and OIL is going to be a fuel of the past some day.

At least the Air to water could be ran off renewal energy

Surely the cost of that much insulation and presumably oil heating versus less insulation and running air to water is comparable on the long run

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Surely the cost of that much insulation and presumably oil heating versus less insulation and running air to water is comparable on the long run

Can you try again?

+1 with P2C ‘fabric first’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Are there any sites with plans with estimated build costs for each house plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

-snip- In response to this, can anyone offer their opinion on whether the prices listed for these concrete modular homes are more or less in line with what one would expect to pay for the same house in a traditional build? Are they cheaper/dearer than a typical traditional type build? If you click on each design on link it gives cost. I suppose speed of construction is the main attraction with the modular style house.

Post edited by BryanF on

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jim_bop

You'd have to make sure you're comparing apples with apples, aka devil is in the detail. The latest ready reckoned for self build is a staggering 200 per square ft. and rising. Unless something changes, it's going to become prohibitive for most at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Question: is the A2W and UF heating all you need? Presune the solar or pv is optional after that once the air tightness is good?

Selfbuilder here aswell. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Has anyone used tile effect cladding or seamlap for a selfbuild?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Have two quotes in for a ~200sqm new build house from a main contractor, coming in at between 1650-1950/sqm for builders finish so that doesn't include kitchen, flooring, etc. This is in the northwest

Anyone have any estimate of what we'd save by going without a main contractor? 80k? Obviously there's a lot of extra hassle involved and it would take a good bit longer but those sort of quotes are making the build unaffordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Hi, do you have any breakdown of the stages from the contractor quote? As I have mentioned on other threads I am in the middle of a self build (self managed) at the moment. We are targeting around 1600 euro/sqm finished (well at least finished enough to move in so kitchen, utility, a few bedrooms etc). We are a bit bigger at 265 sqm and going much if anything above this figure will begin to get unaffordable fast.

The reason I ask on the cost break down is while our overall cost per sq/m is an (educated) estimate I now have pretty much exact costs as far as wall plate level since we are approaching this now so if you had a break down of ground works, foundation, blockwork etc we could compare to see what sort of difference there is (per sq/m to account for size difference).

Aside from overall savings from cutting out the middle man of the contractor there have been a few areas I have definitely saved a few thousand by being so involved and being able to source better pricing even with no apparent alternative or push back on the engineer for more cost effective solutions. If a contractor was doing the work I doubt I would have any visibility on this.

Advertisement