Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I bought those Reebok on your recommendation, have only been for a couple of runs but they feel fine. I prefer the Brooks Ghost I think though, more ankle support.

Looked at the Brooks Ghost but they were coming up as €170 :eek: must check the nb 880 v9 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Looked at the Brooks Ghost but they were coming up as €170 :eek: must check the nb 880 v9 .

I definitely didn't pay that :eek: bought in Elverys early summer, thought they were around 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I definitely didn't pay that :eek: bought in Elverys early summer, thought they were around 140.

I got mine in the last two months from Run Logic for €135

Checked NB to confirm and they are 880 V9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Cartman78 wrote: »
    A bit of a niche sock question....

I generally hate any running socks with padding, cushioning, dual layers etc and have been running mainly in Hilly Mono Skins for a while now.

Struggling to find them online for non-extortionate prices (normally pick them up discounted at expos) so would be interested to know if there's any other similar skinny socks out there at a half reasonable price??

Cheers cm

Steigen socks are a bit thinner than some of the other options out there. I've been wearing them on all my long runs lately and they've been fine. Worth a look.

Found the brooks ghost 13 for €126 . Just wondering about size - I’m a 5 but in the new balance ( which runs small ) I’m a 40.5 which equates to a uk 7. ( according to nb ) In an old pair of Nike zoom pegasus 33 I’m a uk 6 which equates to EU 40 . I bought a pair of nike pegasus that I can’t run in as they are way too big at 6.5 Uk (40.5 EU) Any info re size of Brooks would be great. tks
    It would be much easier all round if I could get the NB zante 3 :happy:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Found the brooks ghost 13 for €126 . Just wondering about size - I’m a 5 but in the new balance ( which runs small ) I’m a 40.5 which equates to a uk 7. ( according to nb ) In an old pair of Nike zoom pegasus 33 I’m a uk 6 which equates to EU 40 . I bought a pair of nike pegasus that I can’t run in as they are way too big at 6.5 Uk (40.5 EU) Any info re size of Brooks would be great. tks
    I would take the same size in Brooks as I would in Nike i.e. Pegasus 35 & 36 in 10/45 and the same in Ghost 11 & 12 so if you're a 6/40 in the Nike then go for the same in Ghost would be my suggestion.

Btw where did you find the Ghost for €126?

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I would take the same size in Brooks as I would in Nike i.e. Pegasus 35 & 36 in 10/45 and the same in Ghost 11 & 12 so if you're a 6/40 in the Nike then go for the same in Ghost would be my suggestion.

Btw where did you find the Ghost for €126?

On the edge sport shop Cork. Reduced from a €140 to € 126.

ETA certain colours and sizes only

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

On the edge sport shop Cork. Reduced from a €140 to € 126.

ETA certain colours and sizes only

Yeah I got my Ghosts for 126 in the Edge last November. 500 miles on them and they're still going. I wear EU40 in Nike and EU40 in Brooks. But for some reason Nike call EU40 a 6, whereas Brooks call it 6.5.

I bought those Reebok on your recommendation, have only been for a couple of runs but they feel fine. I prefer the Brooks Ghost I think though, more ankle support.

Hi A. I wore them this evening for their maiden voyage. Too soon to tell but i will probably prefer the Ghosts too but for E45 I’ll wear them for 1-2 easy runs a week and knock a few months and a couple of hundred miles out of them. They're lighter than the Ghosts but i know weight isn't everything.

ariana` wrote: »
    Yeah I got my Ghosts for 126 in the Edge last November. 500 miles on them and they're still going. I wear EU40 in Nike and EU40 in Brooks. But for some reason Nike call EU40 a 6, whereas Brooks call it 6.5.

Tks for that - I think it’s the American sizes ie NB EU 40.5 is a UK 7 - I’m a UK 5 but had to get the 7 in the New Balance. Bought the Nike pegasus on the basis of the NB and they are way too big.

• Advertisement

Hi A. I wore them this evening for their maiden voyage. Too soon to tell but i will probably prefer the Ghosts too but for E45 I’ll wear them for 1-2 easy runs a week and knock a few months and a couple of hundred miles out of them. They're lighter than the Ghosts but i know weight isn't everything.

Oh totally agree, they'll be great as a 2nd pair and I'll keep the Brooks for longer runs. Who knows though, they could well become the favourite after a while :).

I'm a 5 also but usually go 5.5 in runners, including Nike & Brooks. My brooks read 39 in European size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Anyone find any difference in size between Brooks Ghost 12 and 13?

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Anyone find any difference in size between Brooks Ghost 12 and 13?

No difference in size per se but the toe box in the 13 is definitely wider, something which suits me but may not suit all I guess.

Thanks i think that might actually suit me quite well!

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Thanks i think that might actually suit me quite well!

Yeah I had issues with rubbing at the inside of my big toe with the 12 but no such issue with the 13, I have 500 miles on them and very little sign of wear and tear.

cool. the brooks 12 when i got them were my normal foot size 9.5 and when i first got them i thought they were a little too snug but after a few runs they were perfect so want to get the same again.

Tks Ariana - I’m finding it hard to find comparisons between the zante 3 and any other shoe. Reluctant to pull the trigger on a pair of runners that I don’t know but kinda need to buy a pair ��
    Will check that website now tks

Did you come across this , it might be helpful.

Updated to add that the Tempo is €104 (20% off) at the moment on Alltricks.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Does anybody else think the last 2-3 months been the most persistently windy 2-3 months they’ve had to deal with since taking up running? Or am I just suffering from selective memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

zico10 wrote: »
    Does anybody else think the last 2-3 months been the most persistently windy 2-3 months they’ve had to deal with since taking up running? Or am I just suffering from selective memory?

Literally commented on the lack of wind in my latest log post! It wasn't even flat calm, just such a slight breeeze that it felt calm and silent. Its especially noticeable on easy runs when you have to slow down so much to stay within Z1 etc..

I can't remember an interval session yet this year where I haven't encountered wind. Its a rectangular lap and sometimes the tailwind side can feel like cheating in comparison to the effort on the headwind side.

Today I was looking forward to a tailwind for the last few kms home after what felt like a headwind for 20 mins but it seemed to come from all angles :cool:

• Advertisement

Oh thank god it's not just me! Every run seems to be windy. Some days i look out before i go and nothing is moving but as soon as i run in certain directions it feels windy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Are we talking about flatulence here or metrological conditions?? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yep...today was particularly horrible, running by hr into a very strong wind is soul destroying! Although I am sure I have been told before that it's character building ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Decided to start a 5k-10k program and used a calculator on runnersworld to calculate my easy pace, tempo, vo2 max etc and very surprised at the results. Only started running about 12 weeks ago so still very slow (32.12/5k) so my easy run is working out at just under 8min/km which is almost a quick walk, all runs in week one are easy runs so just double checking I’m correct in running at such a slow pace?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Decided to start a 5k-10k program and used a calculator on runnersworld to calculate my easy pace, tempo, vo2 max etc and very surprised at the results. Only started running about 12 weeks ago so still very slow (32.12/5k) so my easy run is working out at just under 8min/km which is almost a quick walk, all runs in week one are easy runs so just double checking I’m correct in running at such a slow pace?

Anywhere from 7.15-8.00 per km is about right for your easy pace - assuming that 32 min 5k was an all out effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

deconduo wrote: »
    Anywhere from 7.15-8.00 per km is about right for your easy pace - assuming that 32 min 5k was an all out effort

Yeah it was the 5k I done at the end of the couch to 5k, pushed myself as best as I could giving I was on my own (I.e not a race when I assume you would generally be a little quicker given your with other people, motivation etc). Just back from an ‘easy’ run and managed to do 7.19/Km and felt that was slowest I could jog without walking

Yeah it was the 5k I done at the end of the couch to 5k, pushed myself as best as I could giving I was on my own (I.e not a race when I assume you would generally be a little quicker given your with other people, motivation etc). Just back from an ‘easy’ run and managed to do 7.19/Km and felt that was slowest I could jog without walking

Stick with those paces for now and repeat the 5k in 4 weeks. I bet you will see a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Stick with those paces for now and repeat the 5k in 4 weeks. I bet you will see a big improvement.

I’m kinda similar to OffalyMedic
    Might take your advice and run a few slow weeks and go for a fast(for me) 5km again
    How many runs per week and what distance would you recommend ...... further and slower? Can you go to far, even at east pace?
    I reckon I’d have no problem running 10km slow at 8mins pace, was actually thinking of doing one this weekend to see how I get on

Seve OB wrote: »
    I’m kinda similar to OffalyMedic
    Might take your advice and run a few slow weeks and go for a fast(for me) 5km again
    How many runs per week and what distance would you recommend ...... further and slower? Can you go to far, even at east pace?
    I reckon I’d have no problem running 10km slow at 8mins pace, was actually thinking of doing one this weekend to see how I get on

Go a bit further once each week building it up progressively. Most people schedule a long run at the weekend but it is up to you what suits.

This is pretty basic but a sample weekly schedule might be

Mon: 5k easy
    Tues: 5k intervals (throw in 6 * 1min faster with 2min gentle jogs recovery between each faster interval. Build this up each week 8 * 1min, 10 * 1min, 4 * 2min, 5 * 2 min, 3 * 3min).
    Wed: Rest or Cross train
    Thurs: 6k easy
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Easy Long run, maybe start at 8-10k and add a km each week or even every second week. Every 3 or 4 week reduce this to give yourself a recovery week.
    Sun: Rest

Take it slowly and don't expect miracles of yourself over night, both speed and distance will come with consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

This is the laziest post ever. I'd say I could easily search the forum and get an answer, but I'm taking the easy way out.

At the moment I do a few stretches when things are already at a critical stage. Its all a bit like grabbing a load of darts and chucking them at a dartboard hoping to hit the bullseye.

I'm after a 15 min routine for stretch calves/legs that I'll hopefully incorporate into my daily routine twice a day?

Advertisement