Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I committed an assault :-/

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Going on your 'it's no problem, I use meter' I can take a rough guess of the area you have gone to. You are lucky the local cops weren't at the hotel before you had unpacked! They may still turn up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

OP, your attitude is a disgrace. I expected to read a post from someone extremely regretful and mortified who had snapped in some awful situation like trying to prevent your wife being attacked. Turns out you're just a fragile hothead who assaulted someone for an extremely minor annoyance.

Your entire post is a justification of your actions, but they don't justify anything. So what if you were travelling a long time and stuff went wrong? That's what happens when you travel. Stuff doesn't go to plan. Scams are just part of that. I'm sure every one of us has had a taxi driver try to rip us off. Happened to me just a few years ago in Lisbon. Fella tried to charge me 70 euros for a 20 euro fare. You think being the big scary hard man is the only way to solve this but guess what...I just told the fella 20 euros was all I had, because that's what my local friend had told me the fare was. Acted clueless and innocent. Said he'd better let me out right away because I felt ill, and then once I was outside the taxi with people around, I told him to feck off and that I'd report him to the police for scamming me, and off he went. Nobody got punched in the throat. I'm a 5'4 petite woman, OP, and I sorted it out just fine.

Your attitude towards your wife is chilling...so what if she was stressed? It's not her fault you snapped and were violent. If I were her, I'd strongly consider leaving you because you're clearly a loose cannon with no empathy or remorse. It's also laughable that you could have killed someone or been killed, or your wife hurt, for the sake of an extra 40 quid. You are clearly wealthy enough to travel halfway round the world during a pandemic but 40 quid is so much money that you risk your life over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I'm dying to know what non EU country it is
    I'd be locking my hotel room; I'd be changing my hotel in fact.
    and I speak from an unfortunate event that I was lucky to escape from, and it was not half as bad as your situation.

30 hours flight? multiple layovers? 7 pieces of luggage? trying to buy a SIM at an aerport? no local currency? and you think the problem is your wife?

cop the f** on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sounds like you are in Asia somewhere, I've had dealings like this, particularly in Thailand, but it never led to violence. The first thing you should be doing is apologising to your wife. You've ruined the holiday before it has even started. Then i would be looking for alternative accomodation. I would not be feeling safe staying there now after that episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I might have picked you up wrong but it sounds like you robbed and assaulted him. I’ve been scammed abroad but I would know that I’m on a hiding to nothing if I attempted something like taking his keys. Quite frankly, I think you need to apologise to your wife and move hotel. If it were me, I would be looking over my shoulder the entire holiday and wouldn’t enjoy myself at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

[

U handled it right!!!! Haha, respect!!! I’ve been fuct over abroad before and sorry I didn’t do this in hindsight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

Thanks for not bothering to clear out that enormous wall of text before replying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

This didn't happen in Ireland. Other parts of the world it's dog eat dog. People will push it as far as they can. If one doesn't do what the op did once in awhile you start to eat ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

This could end up an episode of Banged Up Abroad. I would be moving hotels pronto. Hopefully you'll use this as a lesson and sort out your anger issues.

• Advertisement

Normal One wrote: »
    What were you supposed to do; stand there with your hands in your pockets while this scammer takes off with your laptop bag? Meh, he got what he deserved. He set out that morning to scam tourists and he got what he deserved.

I’d have to agree with this too. A lot of people aren’t living in the real world with the “anger issues” type of remarks. Maybe the OP has helped someone else not get scammed by giving this person what they’ve probably needed for a long time. Obviously you try not to do things that way if you can but if they’re about to make off with your property then do what’s needed.

mloc123 wrote: »
    My takeaway from that whole post was.... All that over 40e.. it isn't worth the hassle.

A laptop costs a lot more than €40.

I’d have to agree with this too. A lot of people aren’t living in the real world with the “anger issues” type of remarks. Maybe the OP has helped someone else not get scammed by giving this person what they’ve probably needed for a long time. Obviously you try not to do things that way if you can but if they’re about to make off with your property then do what’s needed.

Which is what the taxi did when the op stole his keys.

In any world, the op was lucky not to get arrested or a hiding from the taxi’s friends/family, and, who does that with their wife at their side in a foreign country? If I saw this happening and his wife wasn’t present, I’d be routing for the taxi, it’d be giving the op what he probably needed for a long time.
    A laptop costs a lot more than €40.

It helps to read the op, that is the taxi fare the op took issue with, the taxi said 70, the op offered 30, and yet the meter was on, google maps was used, the op doesn’t say that he knew what taxi tarrifs apply, and he passed up the opportunity to agree a fixed price at the airport. Not to mention, he states he was formulating a plan of attack even before the taxi came to a stop, but he’s your hero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

lalababa wrote:
    This didn't happen in Ireland. Other parts of the world it's dog eat dog. People will push it as far as they can. If one doesn't do what the op did once in awhile you start to eat ****.

I think the point is that the OP was unfamiliar with the country and the level of potential violence that the taxi driver could have gone too.

I wouldn't be risking my wife in that situation for a few scrawny Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Just noticed that even though you changed your "mosr of your euro" , equivalent to €50 to local currency, you still paid the driver in euro as you managed to take back a €10 note as you say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Five pages on and nothing further from the OP, I'm going to close it off here.

Thanks all.

HS

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement