Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman burned alive in Bangladesh for reporting sexual assault

Options
  • 19-04-2019 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭

I think everyone should read what happened to this 19 year old woman in Bangladesh.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nusrat-jahan-rafi-death-bangladesh-sexual-assault-school-protests-a8875906.html

She was being sexually harassed in school, she went to the police who made little of her complaints. She went to do her final exams in school and I will quote from the above link "A fellow female student took her to the roof of the school, on the premise of telling her that Ms Rafi’s friend was being beaten up, according to a statement given later by Ms Rafi. On the rooftop, four or five people surrounded her and allegedly pressured her to withdraw the case against the headteacher – then set her on fire when she refused."

The murder of Nusrat Jahan Rafi is a huge story in Bangladesh, the policeman who failed her has been moved to a different department and the accused is in custody.

The only good thing is this "Ms Rafi had managed to record a statement on her brother’s mobile phone in the ambulance, in which she identified some of her attackers as students at the school.

“The teacher touched me, I will fight this crime till my last breath,” she said."

A number of people have been arrested.

Brave woman who paid with her life. It must be terrifying for women to report any form of assault in countries like this when they see something as horrific as this happening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sickening, it's their culture.

The only way to change these countries is not give a single cent in aid and completely blacklist them for all trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think everyone should read what happened to this 19 year old woman in Bangladesh.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nusrat-jahan-rafi-death-bangladesh-sexual-assault-school-protests-a8875906.html

She was being sexually harassed in school, she went to the police who made little of her complaints. She went to do her final exams in school and I will quote from the above link "A fellow female student took her to the roof of the school, on the premise of telling her that Ms Rafi’s friend was being beaten up, according to a statement given later by Ms Rafi. On the rooftop, four or five people surrounded her and allegedly pressured her to withdraw the case against the headteacher – then set her on fire when she refused."

The murder of Nusrat Jahan Rafi is a huge story in Bangladesh, the policeman who failed her has been moved to a different department and the accused is in custody.

The only good thing is this "Ms Rafi had managed to record a statement on her brother’s mobile phone in the ambulance, in which she identified some of her attackers as students at the school.

“The teacher touched me, I will fight this crime till my last breath,” she said."

Brave woman who paid with her life. It must be terrifying for women to report any form of assault in countries like this when they see something as horrific as this happening.

Jesus . We do t realize how good we have it overall in Ireland . I know there are issues but compared to other parts of world there small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

And yet if she fell pregnant you’d deny her an abortion and force her to give birth, so how much concern do you really have for her?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What can you say to that? It's just horrific. The poor girl, may she RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't have it in me to tell a dog off, how do people live with themselves after doing something so barbaric.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

amcalester wrote: »
    And yet if she fell pregnant you’d deny her an abortion and force her to give birth, so how much concern do you really have for her?

Sometimes a story is about more than this ****ing agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

At least a little more than you've shown!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

spurshero wrote: »
    Jesus . We do t realize how good we have it overall in Ireland . I know there are issues but compared to other parts of world there small

Yeah, we may have our problems but we are a paradise compared to some parts of the world.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Sometimes a story is about more than this ****ing agenda.

You’re right, I just don’t think Robert actually cares about the woman.

RIP to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

RobertKK wrote: »

Good find there Robert. It's nice to know that you are on the right side of womens' rights when the perps are brown.

It would have been nice to have that can-do attitude from you when we were fighting for womens' rights over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Good find there Robert. It's nice to know that you are on the right side of womens' rights when the perps are brown.

It would have been nice to have that can-do attitude from you when we were fighting for womens' rights over here.

Cant you comment on the post and not the poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

We shouldn't have to read this - medieval shenanigans and the western world isn't on the same planet. Despicable and frustrating - but we can't change this -

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

These people are animals, wasn't it India a few years back that a young girl was gang raped in the back of a public bus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Women don't get burned alive over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

shamrock55 wrote: »
    These people are animals, wasn't it India a few years back that a young girl was gang raped in the back of a public bus

Yeah back in 2012 was when the gang rape and murder of the 23 year old student happened.
    Four men for that got the death penalty, another man committed suicide in prison and a 6th was a 17 year old who did three years as a juvenile.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-44762220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

That's horrible but I'm reluctant to pass judgement due to our own past.

I always wonder, would I have said anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

You’re right, I just don’t think Robert actually cares about the woman.

RIP to her.

Why can't you separate the two? I voted yes to repealing the 8th but I don't see how it's inconsistent to be not in favour of abortion yet to be horrified by this. They're not the same. Not everyone who disagrees with abortion is a woman hater or doesn't care about women.
    Your Face wrote: »
    That's horrible but I'm reluctant to pass judgement due to our own past.
    I don't get that. Unless you were abusing women and children yourself, what's hypocritical about it? Presume you weren't even alive. The fact you're from the same rock in the Atlantic is barely a link, and we can be critical of both this incident and what happened in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Terrible if it is true.

I don't get that. Unless you were abusing women and children yourself, what's hypocritical about it? Presume you weren't even alive. The fact you're from the same rock in the Atlantic is barely a link, and we can be critical of both this incident and what happened in Ireland.

I dont like the position of making generalizations about a culture or country when the same could so easily be said of us.

I also wouldn't take odds on it not going on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭DaithiMa

I dont like the position of making generalizations about a culture or country when the same could so easily be said of us.

When have 'we' burned women alive for reporting sexual assault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod Note
    Leave the OP alone and stop bringing up old threads!

DaithiMa wrote: »

I never said we did.

Its amazing how offended people get when its pointed out that we're not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

It really goes to show the mindset of some of the people that post here that on the first page the OP is being attacked by two separate posters over his beliefs on abortion etc. rather than discussing this horrific incident. Some sad, sad people out there.

RIP to this young woman, this is seriously messed up and shouldn't happen anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ludicrous

It's not a generalisation when it's commentary on a specific incident and conditions that led to it..

The same couldn't be said for people here (certainly not "us").

And nobody said we are perfect. Of course we aren't perfect. Not offended, just think what you're saying makes no sense. Similar does not go on in this country, and even if it did, only the people guilty of doing it would be hypocrites for condemning this incident in Bangladesh. Horrendous things were done to women in this country - certainly not something those of us who weren't even born should feel guilty for though.

I don't understand putting this dubious collective guilt stuff before condemning what was done to the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was only posting on Twitter last night about another Muslim woman getting burned alive, in a store I believe, and a guy appears to make an advance on her, which she spurns, and so he sprays her with lighter fluid.... and well, wish I hadn't seen the damn thing now.

I tired Google'ing it and get some more information about it but the sheer amount of women that are burned alive in that part of the world is staggering.

Seen a clip of Malala Yousafzai giving a talk in Dublin (she was the 16 year old girl shot by the Taliban for attending school in Pakistan) and she spoke about these kind of killings and appealed to western governments to place more sanctions on countries were such killings are all but tolerated.

He Named Me Malala is a good docu for anyone that hasn't seen it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's not a generalisation when it's commentary on a specific incident and conditions that led to it..

The same couldn't be said for people here (certainly not "us").

And nobody said we aren't perfect. Of course we aren't perfect. Not offended, just think what you're saying makes no sense. Similar does not go on in this country, and even if it did, only the people guilty of doing it would be hypocrites for condemning this incident in Bangladesh. Horrendous things were done to women in this country - certainly not something those of us who weren't even born should feel guilty for though.

I don't understand putting this dubious collective guilt stuff before condemning what was done to the woman.

It's just another form of intellectual posing which liberals excel in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

DaithiMa wrote: »

Some might say we've done worse in our time.

Some might say we've done worse in our time.
    Yeah, "we" in "our" time. Not sure what could be worse than burning someone alive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

How incredibly brave and smart she was though - believing she would die, she made sure to record a statement on her brother's phone.

What a brave young lady. Even in the face of death, she wanted to fight for her rights.

Advertisement