Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman burned alive in Bangladesh for reporting sexual assault

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If I was this woman in Bangladesh I would be heading to the airport to get out asap.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/459247-bangladesh-starlet-apologises-after-atheist-comments

Safa Kabir, an actress and model said on radio the following:

"I don´t believe in life after death. Actually, I never believe in what I can´t see,"

She ended up posting this on Facebook after widespread criticism:

"If I committed any mistake, I seek forgiveness from the most merciful. He is the most merciful and forgiving. He will definitely forgive me,"

"If my words hurt any one´s belief, I am sorry for this and I ask for forgiveness,"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah back in 2012 was when the gang rape and murder of the 23 year old student happened.
    Four men for that got the death penalty, another man committed suicide in prison and a 6th was a 17 year old who did three years as a juvenile.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-44762220

That was vile.

Reading the reports of what happened (the sheer graphic descriptions of what they did to her) was absolutely vile and sickening.

Was there further reasoning behind the 6th individuals light sentencing? I initially read somewhere the 17 year old was to do some juvenile time, then be given the death penalty?

Good find there Robert. It's nice to know that you are on the right side of womens' rights when the perps are brown.

It would have been nice to have that can-do attitude from you when we were fighting for womens' rights over here.

To be fair, our country is a lot more civilized than setting people alight, which although Robert may or may not have disdain towards female repeal voters or abortion seekers, I highly doubt he'd want them to be burned alive.

His views on abortion and women who seek abortion are not really relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The teacher ordered the burning of the woman according to police.

I hope people keep this thread updated as this is my last post in AH, and I will not be posting here anymore. Please don't comment on this, it is a personal choice.
    Just remember this woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I voted to repeal but can understand the position of those opposing such right. You can be against it but still feel that it is wrong to burn people alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So there's quite a lot of Islam worshipers in Pakistan, and a quick Google will give you results showing that around 1000 women a year in Pakistan are killed in order to redeem their honor (eloping, marriage outside of family wishes, etc). From what I've read, they believe this is the only way to restore honor due to their religion.

I can't understand how any religion condones violence for restoring honor. It actually baffles me why women are not fleeing this backwards country in droves if that is the outcome of living your own life. I don't know a lot about Islam, but I don't want to know any more if this kind of carry on is not just accepted, but widely practiced, even if it's against criminal law over there. How can people expect me to be ok with this? We have to be so careful as to not offend anyone based on their religion, yet the people saying this stand back and allow this to happen. What kind of religion is this? It's 20-fukcing-19.

I no longer follow any religion, and I urge everyone to do the same. It has no place in a modern society. In another thread, I said that religion should now be practiced only in private, and I'm starting to be more firm on this stance. Religion should not affect anyone else, I don't believe people should get time off to pray for Ramadan or any other religious practice.

So there's quite a lot of Islam worshipers in Pakistan, and a quick Google will give you results showing that around 1000 women a year in Pakistan are killed in order to redeem their honor (eloping, marriage outside of family wishes, etc). From what I've read, they believe this is the only way to restore honor due to their religion.

I can't understand how any religion condones violence for restoring honor. It actually baffles me why women are not fleeing this backwards country in droves if that is the outcome of living your own life. I don't know a lot about Islam, but I don't want to know any more if this kind of carry on is not just accepted, but widely practiced, even if it's against criminal law over there. How can people expect me to be ok with this? We have to be so careful as to not offend anyone based on their religion, yet the people saying this stand back and allow this to happen. What kind of religion is this? It's 20-fukcing-19.

I no longer follow any religion, and I urge everyone to do the same. It has no place in a modern society. In another thread, I said that religion should now be practiced only in private, and I'm starting to be more firm on this stance. Religion should not affect anyone else, I don't believe people should get time off to pray for Ramadan or any other religious practice.

You can tell the kids that Christmas is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

poisonated wrote: »

Why? Have the christians signed Santy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Watched Delhi Crime recently on Netflix which is a drama based on the 2012 rape case. Heartbreaking and gruelling to watch but it does show the other side of this story too.

The brave, educated people with the same religion who are risking their own lives to fight this injustice and change their society. It's going to take a long time but certainly they need back up and support from all over the world if this is to be stopped.

The only hope we can have is that we over many centuries have changed slowly but surely and the same can happen in these countries so long as there are enough brave people fighting to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

spurshero wrote: »
    Jesus . We do t realize how good we have it overall in Ireland .

For now, our grandchildren may not have it as good and as safe as we have known it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are on the cultural level backward, corrupt and morally bankrupt shitholes. To describe them as "medieval" is to do a disservice to that time period. India despite laws and the 20th, never mind the 21st century, still largely operates under their retarded caste system that goes back thousands of years.

When that Indian woman Savita(apologies I can't remember her surname) died in childbirth here a few years ago, there was a natural and understandable outpouring of WTF! and things have subsequently changed for the better, but when some Indian government types gave Ireland static over it, my first thought was look to your own house you backward pricks. A house where a huge proportion of your population openly defecate in the street and have to be reminded not to by an advertising campaign, yet they have a space programme and enough cash(500 million quid) to erect this globular monstrosity and have the bald faced gall to call it a symbol of unity?

statue_of_unity_sardar_patel-U205730969126CB--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

And Ireland and others give taxpayers money to this nation for their poor? G'way to fuck India. If you were looking for a good example of not throwing stones in a glasshouse, you would be walking a huge distance to find another better example than India.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

poisonated wrote: »

This might shock you but Christmas is a Christian holiday. To remember this, please keep in mind the name CHRISTmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Good find there Robert. It's nice to know that you are on the right side of womens' rights when the perps are brown.

It would have been nice to have that can-do attitude from you when we were fighting for womens' rights over here.
    amcalester wrote: »
    And yet if she fell pregnant you’d deny her an abortion and force her to give birth, so how much concern do you really have for her?

Let me get this straight. Because RobertKK holds/held an opinion at variance with yours on one issue it follows that he has no concern for peoples' rights or their plight. Right? You keep that up, and refuse to engage with all those who hold a view on any particular matter which is at variance with yours, and you will end up talking to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Irish ladies are doing just fine in that regard don't worry. Thankfully.

Horrific this. A very strange, frankly barbaric attitude towards women in that part of the world.

You could argue that it's to do with culture, but I feel it's mostly to do with education and some lack of moral grounding.

feargale wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. Because RobertKK holds/held an opinion at variance with yours on one issue it follows that he has no concern for peoples' rights or their plight. Right? You keep that up, and refuse to engage with all those who hold a view on any particular matter which is at variance with yours, and you will end up talking to yourself.

As someone who disagrees vehemently with Robert's views on abortion I can recognize that that is only his view on a subject, I agree that his views on abortion aren't really relevant here as this is a completely different topic.

I think the posters highlighting his views on abortion in this thread are simply misinterpreting his intentions on creating this thread. As I've previously stated, I have no doubt that Robert does genuinely care about women's rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sickening, it's their culture.

The only way to change these countries is not give a single cent in aid and completely blacklist them for all trade.

Except aid workers are the people who are able to help someone like her. And charities provide protection to women who have been abused.
    Other organisations provide medical assistance, vaccines etc. Innocent people would die because of it.

And textiles, one of the countries biggest exports are mainly worked by women.

So you'd actually be hurting a lot of innocent people.

It's not the religion. Honor killing occurs across the entire sub continent. I remember reading about hindu killings. they would soak the woman in petrol and set her alight. Because most cheap sari's are made from nylon the fabric would melt and fuse with the skin leaving them horribly disfigured if they survived.

There's a massive problem with women's right all across india, pakistan and bangladesh. Things are getting better, but slowly. Thankfully we've seen massive marches against the abuse, rapes, "eve teasing" and all that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Even Easter? I’m afraid that the world is getting more religious, not less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

As someone who disagrees vehemently with Robert's views on abortion I can recognize that that is only his view on a subject, I agree that his views on abortion aren't really relevant here as this is a completely different topic.

I think the posters highlighting his views on abortion in this thread are simply misinterpreting his intentions on creating this thread. As I've previously stated, I have no doubt that Robert does genuinely care about women's rights.
    And as a woman and voter to repeal, I really consider "fighting for women's rights" to be an overblown way of referring to the repeal campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Is it? I wouldn't have thought so but open to correction. Religion makes the whole world backward.

• Advertisement

And more nationalistic. And they've combining forces. So you see places like russia where the orthodox church are working side by side with the kremlin. In the US they court the evangelicals. In India hindu nationalists are in power so we've seen a surge in muslims and christians being killed for eating beef.

Is it? I wouldn't have thought so but open to correction. Religion makes the whole world backward.

Religious people have more children. The Middle Eastern and African populations are increasing while the secularising west is not having children.

The Chinese aren’t that religious but that’s always been the case.

Grayson wrote: »
    And more nationalistic. And they've combining forces. So you see places like russia where the orthodox church are working side by side with the kremlin. In the US they court the evangelicals. In India hindu nationalists are in power so we've seen a surge in muslims and christians being killed for eating beef.

Hindu nationalism is definitely on the increase, in general non-monotheistic religions are not that fundamentalist though.

India gets a hard time but it’s not that bad. Remember there’s a billion people in India.

Religious people have more children. The Middle Eastern and African populations are increasing while the secularising west is not having children.

The Chinese aren’t that religious but that’s always been the case.

It's not just religion though. Poorer people have more children. When people are educated and make a good living they, and women especially, tend to have less desire to have large families.

That's why the bill and melinda gates foundation are investing so much in reproductive education. Teach women how to control their reproductive cycles so they only have the number of children that they want. In developing countries childbirth is the leading cause of death amongst poor women.

It is true about religion though. In a lot of countries the local religion tends to say that a woman's place is in the home and their duty is to have children. In Russia the state even gives awards to women how have a certain amount of children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

the mond boggles! RIP

Hindu nationalism is definitely on the increase, in general non-monotheistic religions are not that fundamentalist though.

India gets a hard time but it’s not that bad. Remember there’s a billion people in India.

It all depends on where you are in India. Cities are better than rural areas where the caste system may still be enforced. There's still religious prostitution there and unwanted daughters are sold to temples.
    On the other hand they have one of the biggest educated populations in the world. they have 10 technical universities the same standard and size of MIT that churn out graduates.

India is both a great place and an absolutely horrible place. It is getting better though. As the country gets more educated they become more liberal. And I think that's part of the reason we're seeing a surge in Hindu nationalism. It's people who feel left behind and people who feel they don't fit in anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

spurshero wrote: »
    Jesus . We do t realize how good we have it overall in Ireland . I know there are issues but compared to other parts of world there small

Not that small when we have people who spell they're as there

Advertisement