Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to bring back hanging?

• 17-04-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Would you support bringing back hanging?

Should we bring back hanging? 272 votes

No way! I am fine with paedophiles and heroin dealers not being hanged!
    75% 205 votes
    Yes ! But only for very serious crimes.
    9% 26 votes
    Yes ! But only for very serious crimes committed by repeat offenders.
    5% 15 votes
    Yes! But only for repeat offenders.
    7% 21 votes
    Yes! But only for crimes committed by third world immigrants!
    0% 0 votes
    Yes and it should be very widely used!
    0% 2 votes
    Yes, but only for people creating stupid polls
    1% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I keep telling my kid to hang up his jacket, so yes, all in favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

everytime ive to deal with some clown on the road..definitely yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Hi there

Some great points you make in your argument.

But no.

Edit: Just saw the poll options. Still no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Death is to easy for some of the worst scum.
    I have an alternative. Torture. Cut of all there limbs and there eyes. But take time doing it. Leave the ears. Play Barney all the time.
    This way they would be easy to maintain. Just feed them through a tube. Would require small spaces as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hanging is quite specific, has someone wronged you?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi there

Why do you feel it's time to bring it back at this particular time?

Personally it's a no for me to the death penalty, under any circumstances.

Just saw the poll. That's the most loaded poll I've seen on Boards in a long time.

I voted for the first option just to be edgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

Hi there

No. Ridiculous poll options as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

For starting stupid threads?

Ok. Just this once.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Zaph wrote: »
    Why do you feel it's time to bring it back at this particular time?

Personally it's a no for me to the death penalty, under any circumstances.

Just saw the poll. That's the most loaded poll I've seen on Boards in a long time.

and no Atari Jaguar option either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

100%, way to much scum roaming the streets these days. Not enough prison spaces, and it would be very cost effective. Society has become way too soft. There is a midpoint between killing someone who has wronged you and the namby pamby "hooman rights" nonsense we have now, and punishing someone with death for a heinous crime should be that midpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭patmahe

For anything in particular or just in general? What crimes merit the taking of a life? Murder? How does the state taking a life differ from a murderer taking a life, what about mistaken identity incorrect findings by a jury etc... I'd much rather see people who commit serious crime trained up in things like road maintenance, gardening etc.. and put to work improving the society they have damaged.

So no, I wouldn't support a return to hanging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No. I wonder about the death penalty and it's impact on murders. If you know abusing a child is going to result in your death wouldn't you kill the child to prevent identification? After all, if the penalty for murder and child abuse are the same you have nothing to lose.

I also think from the victims point of view the mental impact on them of an abuser being put to death, especially if it's a family member, would be devastating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    and no Atari Jaguar option either.

Actually, I've changed my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

public torture might be better get us all down to the local square for a bit of entertainment away from the telly, be great for socializing too. torture peedos and rapists maybe a few politicians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hang whoever contrived that poll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Whatever about the justice involved around the matter, I guarantee the vast majority of those up for bringing back hanging would piss their pants in fear if they had to be the hangman involved. Glad to hand it off to someone else, not so much having to do it themselves.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Hanging's too good for posters who start serious threads in After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No.

Also.

_________
    I
    o
    I
    /\

• Advertisement

The paedos and heroin dealers are well in the lead. Great day for boards democracy.

Edit now being beaten out by the stupid poll makers even better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

More than 80% of respondents support the reintroduction of hanging in some form.

More than 80% of respondents support the reintroduction of hanging in some form.

Your poll is ludicrous. Get real.

Your poll is ludicrous. Get real.

It’s legally binding though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Death is to easy for some of the worst scum.
    I have an alternative. Torture. Cut of all there limbs and there eyes. But take time doing it. Leave the ears. Play Barney all the time.
    This way they would be easy to maintain. Just feed them through a tube. Would require small spaces as well.

That escalated quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

No.
    I don't trust anyone to have power over life and death.

Currently it's 10 for no, and a combined 10 for 3 various yes options. I might have to make an exception for your maths teacher because they clearly didn't do a very good job.

Currently it's 10 for no, and a combined 10 for 3 various yes options. I might have to make an exception for your maths teacher because they clearly didn't do a very good job.

There have been over 50 votes, most wanting a hung stupid poll maker

I see 11 No and 41 for various forms of yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ridiculous poll options.
    Anyway, my answer would be no. Because death is too good for some monsters, and because of the risk of an innocent person being wrongly convicted and subsequently killed.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Ridiculous poll options.
    Anyway, my answer would be no. Because death is too good for some monsters, and because of the risk of an innocent person being wrongly convicted and subsequently killed.
    Hi there Susie - I set the poll up - do you mind if I ask why you believe that the options are ridiculous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No, as it's usually the poor or disadvantaged that end up facing the death penalty. The demographic of death row in the states is an eye opener.

I see 11 No and 41 for various forms of yes.

I was only including the options that you added to the poll, not the one added by a mod later. You must be pretty desperate to prove your point if you're happy to include the final option in your figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If there is such a thing as a loaded question, then that is a loaded poll.

Also, OP - why hanging? Would you be in favour of stoning or do you support pedophilia?
    (see? I can do it too....)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Your Face wrote: »
    No.
    I don't trust anyone to have power over life and death.

OK - sounds like a reasonable fear.

To what end though do we keep say, an extreme case like an unrepentant multiple child murderer, alive on taxpayer funds indefinitely until they die naturally many years hence in a cell? I can't see what exactly that is supposed to achieve. If they can't be rehabilitated and we are never letting them out, why use up tax payer funds keeping them alive in a cell, potentially for decades?

• Advertisement

If there is such a thing as a loaded question, then that is a loaded poll.

Also, OP - why hanging? Would you be in favour of stoning or do you support pedophilia?
    (see? I can do it too....)
    NO! Stoning is foreign muck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Hi there Susie - I set the poll up - do you mind if I ask why you believe that the options are ridiculous?

Because they are one sided and disingenuous.

"Yes! But only for crimes committed by third world immigrants!" -- I mean, do you really expect to be taken seriously when you included this as an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

No - I didn't vote my answer isn't included.

No because it's the sign of a medieval society and we have enough religious nutters trying to rewind the clock back centuries without resorting to barbarism ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

eviltwin wrote: »
    No. I wonder about the death penalty and it's impact on murders. If you know abusing a child is going to result in your death wouldn't you kill the child to prevent identification? After all, if the penalty for murder and child abuse are the same you have nothing to lose.

I also think from the victims point of view the mental impact on them of an abuser being put to death, especially if it's a family member, would be devastating.

To be fair, if you were going to face years in prison and public humiliation would you be willing to risk it?

Stuff like prison isn't a deterrent for people who commit these crimes so I doubt the death penalty would be. IT's not like anyone who commits these crimes does the mental calculations beforehand and expects to get caught.

The death penalty is stupid idea anyway. Whatever about it being a suitable punishment for a particular crime. at some point we would kill an innocent person. Anyone in favor of it is essentially saying they're willing for an innocent person to die so that some guilty people die too.

Grayson wrote: »
    Anyone in favor of it is essentially saying they're willing for an innocent person to die so that some guilty people die too.
    People die y'know. This would overwhelmingly be used against 'bad people' and most people executed unfairly were guilty of something anyway.

You could be hit by a bus tomorrow. You could be hit by lightning.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Because they are one sided and disingenuous.

"Yes! But only for crimes committed by third world immigrants!" -- I mean, do you really expect to be taken seriously when you included this as an option?
    Well there are people talking about Balbriggan on this discussion forum who say that the criminal children of African immigrants (not children of course but rather adolescents or young adults) should be punished according to African norms not Irish norms.

It would for example allow the hanging of members of one of the so called Islamic rape gangs should one emerge here.

Just for the avoidance of doubt I am in favour of hanging for serious recidivists largely as a cost saving measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No, as it's usually the poor or disadvantaged that end up facing the death penalty. The demographic of death row in the states is an eye opener.

You'll find all sorts on Death Row.

Being poor is not a mitigating factor in the commission of heinous crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Look at those poll options. They are utterly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I'd recommend it for aging beef and game birds. As a method of capital punishment I'd prefer the guillotine (last used in France in 1977).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope

Do I get to nominate who gets hung?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No.

The death penalty is illegal in the EU and the Council of Europe.
    The death penalty was fine when there were insecure prisons, we have the means to keep people who need to be locked up, locked up.

To bring back the death penalty would mean leaving the EU and the much broader council of Europe. It would be a most backward step for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair, if you were going to face years in prison and public humiliation would you be willing to risk it?

Stuff like prison isn't a deterrent for people who commit these crimes so I doubt the death penalty would be. IT's not like anyone who commits these crimes does the mental calculations beforehand and expects to get caught.

The death penalty is stupid idea anyway. Whatever about it being a suitable punishment for a particular crime. at some point we would kill an innocent person. Anyone in favor of it is essentially saying they're willing for an innocent person to die so that some guilty people die too.

I think if you're arrogant enough to think you can get away with it you will feel that way regardless of the penalty.

It's not a detterant, other countries have had the death penalty for years and crime is still a problem.

There is a reason why most modern countries are pushing back against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We're not backward savage animals.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd prefer to bring back haggling

• Advertisement
Advertisement