Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machete murder in Cork

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

enricoh wrote: »
    Gardai believe the brutes who descended on their isolated home in Ballincollig, Co Cork were foreign given the level of ­violence and ­precision involved in the murder.
    That's from todays paper

Total fabrication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

This whole accent thing is nonsense. I know Polish and Lithuanian people who sound more from Cork than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Totally agree.

It's a shocking murder.

But somthing not right about it either. Went very quiet for couple of days. Could be for any reason I'm no expert just seemed bit strange

We have become so accustomed to mother these days that it moves onto the next one so quick.

What about that poor innocent lad shot dead in Pete Taylor’s gym last week?

Already forgotten.

Ireland is now a cesspit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

nice bit of an aul machete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    This whole accent thing is nonsense. I know Polish and Lithuanian people who sound more from Cork than me.

Hard to believe the murderers could be Polish or Lithuanian. That poor man's wife would surely recognise a Polish accent or would have heard the Polish language spoken in the middle of a violent and murderous attack by four men.....the attack must have gone on for several minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Strazdas wrote: »
    Hard to believe the murderers could be Polish or Lithuanian. That poor man's wife would surely recognise a Polish accent or would have heard the Polish language spoken in the middle of a violent and murderous attack by four men.....the attack must have gone on for several minutes.

10 minutes sustained attack they said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

There's a name going around. Fella who got done trying to import RPGs for the Dundons. Originally from Cobh, moved to Ballincollig.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Brae100 wrote: »
    There's a name going around. Fella who got done trying to import RPGs for the Dundons. Originally from Cobh, moved to Ballincollig.

The link to that case was given somewhere earlier in this thread

10 minutes sustained attack they said

And according to the reports, the killers were speaking (or screaming or whatever) in English. If she says they sounded like Irishmen or locals, we can believe her. Four Polish men wearing masks would hardly be able to conceal the fact that they were Polish from a Polish woman and native speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭enricoh

Total fabrication.

Total fabrication by me or the cops? It's in yesterday's sun so take it up with the cops Franz, good chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Total fabrication by me or the cops? It's in yesterday's sun so take it up with the cops Franz, good chap

Well, if it's in the sun it must be fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Mikenesson wrote: »
    Does our 'cultural group' have territorial patches
    for legitimate business interests?

I thought they operated randomly.

I know they're also involved in narcotics where you could expect this sort of thing to happen over a patch.

They certainly do, I know first hand. A former next door 'neighbor' of mine had been operating in 'landscaping and gardening' for a number of years prior to getting 'status' and now has 2 large vans with (hand (his own hand)) painted signage offering gardening and landscaping services.

Now that they have 'status' they can operate businesses like any.....charity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,528 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    So, imagine people want to get a job done on their garden - they could choose "The wanderers" ... but they want a good job, they don't want to hand over €750 for a big hole in their garden and lots of broken pallets just thrown about the place + the possibility items being stolen - for them to run off with the money - so they call a competent gardening company that will do the job and accept payment after said job was done.

However "The wanderers" don't like their stealing site business patch taken from them - so they react with violence.

But I don't know, I'm just speculating here.

Find that hard to believe that places are divided into 'patches'. Wouldn't anyone who wants a gardening job done get someone they know, a reputable firm or someone they got a recommendation of? Or failing that, Google and look for good reviews?

Find it equally hard to believe that maiming and killing someone has something to do with competition in the landscaping business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can we stop using the term "pole" to describe this poor guy? He's dead ffs...
    Pole is the correct demonym for the Polish people in the English language, there is nothing derogatory about it.

Polack is however considered an ethnic slur particularly in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

https://www.gofundme.com/help-for-mikolaj-wilk-family

Doesn't change things but it might help a little.
    Would like to start a "Go Fund the Gardai appeal" as not discrediting them at all, but not sure they would have the resources for such savagery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Find it equally hard to believe that maiming and killing someone has something to do with competition in the landscaping business.

It hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

What those 4 men did took a real personal hatred of this man. The man had no links to criminality and his job isn't what you would call a dangerous line of work.

He must of crossed some bad people without realising, it's a horrible crime. I hope they catch the f**kers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

jamesbere wrote: »
    What those 4 men did took a real personal hatred of this man. The man had no links to criminality and his job isn't what you would call a dangerous line of work.

He must of crossed some bad people without realising, it's a horrible crime. I hope they catch the f**kers

Just reminded me of the sopranos turf war over grass cutting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Horrific crime. I really hope they catch the scum. What an awful way to die, and for his poor wife to be attached too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

We have become so accustomed to mother these days that it moves onto the next one so quick.

What about that poor innocent lad shot dead in Pete Taylor’s gym last week?

Already forgotten.

Ireland is now a cesspit.

While the recent murders are shocking, Ireland is far from being a cesspit.

If you think Ireland is a cesspit then I would strongly advise you never to leave the country and see what certain parts of the world have to offer.

The thing with Ireland is that it is small (as in geographically and population) and something as horrific as this makes the national news and everyone gets high and mighty about it (and rightly so). It will be forgotten about next week with the next scandal.

I live in a large UK city and there are multiple murders every week. Two minute walk from my home a 16 yrs was stabbed to death at a bus stop at 3pm in the afternoon three weeks ago. That barely made the local news never mind the national news. A 72 yr old lady client of mine was stabbed to death in her home by her grandson last month. Nobody bats an eyelid again barely made the local news.

Off the top of my head I can list out between 8-10 murders within 10 miles of me in the last month and I live in an affluent white area- barely made the local news. One murder didnt even have that glory.

Don't get me wrong. It is horrendous but this reminds me of the same reaction in 1996 after the spate of murders around the time of Veronica Guerin- tabloids had a field day end of the world stuff.

Murder is murder the only difference here is the gruesome nature of it.

We all just move on to the next drama. Sad, depressing but just a fact of life.

• Advertisement

While the recent murders are shocking, Ireland is far from being a cesspit.

If you think Ireland is a cesspit then I would strongly advise you never to leave the country and see what certain parts of the world have to offer.

The thing with Ireland is that it is small (as in geographically and population) and something as horrific as this makes the national news and everyone gets high and mighty about it (and rightly so). It will be forgotten about next week with the next scandal.

I live in a large UK city and there are multiple murders every week. Two minute walk from my home a 16 yrs was stabbed to death at a bus stop at 3pm in the afternoon three weeks ago. That barely made the local news never mind the national news. A 72 yr old lady client of mine was stabbed to death in her home by her grandson last month. Nobody bats an eyelid again barely made the local news.

Off the top of my head I can list out between 8-10 murders within 10 miles of me in the last month and I live in an affluent white area- barely made the local news. One murder didnt even have that glory.

Don't get me wrong. It is horrendous but this reminds me of the same reaction in 1996 after the spate of murders around the time of Veronica Guerin- tabloids had a field day end of the world stuff.

Murder is murder the only difference here is the gruesome nature of it.

We all just move on to the next drama. Sad, depressing but just a fact of life.

Which city has multiple murders every week?

London has what? 2 a week this year and it's all the talk

jamesbere wrote: »

The reaction of these thugs seems completely out of proportion to whatever minor thing he is supposed to have done or not done on them. He probably didn't realise just how sinister and dangerous they were and assumed they were just low level harmless ruffians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Read there in the news they reckon it was East European gang, commando style operation. They seem to have taken over the market near me in cannabis growhouses, could it be possible linked? Was a big issue here years ago of extortion by eastern Europeans on eastern Europeans, having to pay so much a week out of your wages, Know a lad who got absolutely battered.
    ://www.thesun.ie/news/2698403/mikolaj-wilk-murder-ballincollig-cork-garda-probe-latest/

"Gardai believe the brutes who descended on their isolated home in Ballincollig, Co Cork were foreign given the level of ­violence and ­precision involved in the murder." :confused::confused::confused:

Unfortunately the poor wife / young widow would not be necessarily an expert on accents. She was being operated on yesterday apparently to try and save 3 of her fingers. I am truly sickened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Your Face wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say I'm desensitised.

Ive simply given up wasting my time hoping that we will get any change

Outdated laws.
    Soft sentencing
    Overcrowded prisons due to not having enough prisons.
    Gardai resources cut.
    Each instance of multiple convictions treated like an isolated incident.

Its a cause that won't be championed by any politician. The effort and work involved in Criminal Law Reform won't get headlines or feel good retweets.

Agreed. Any politician that ran on fixing those issues will surely be called a Fascist or a Nazi by the local Bleeding Hearts "Feeling are more important than facts" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

what is RPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Specialun wrote: »
    what is RPG

Rocket propelled grenade and not role play game.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Unfortunately the poor wife / young widow would not be necessarily an expert on accents. She was being operated on yesterday apparently to try and save 3 of her fingers. I am truly sickened.

It's safe to assume the attackers were not Polish. It would be impossible for a bunch of Polish criminals to carry out a ten minute attack on a Polish family during which the attackers were screaming and shouting and for the family not to be aware they were being attacked by Polish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Just read in the Independent that according to what the wife told a local priest the attackers wanted the kids to see their dad being hacked to death.

They wanted to bring the kids in to the room to see it.

They is a new type of evil altogether if true.

This really needs to be solved soon.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just read in the Independent that according to what the wife told a local priest the attackers wanted the kids to see their dad being hacked to death.

They wanted to bring the kids in to the room to see it.

They is a new type of evil altogether if true.

This really needs to be solved soon.

30 years each if that's the case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Wonder what the motive was behind this attack.....lads don't just machete people to death for the lolz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

More Jailgoers
    I bestow brilliance upon that Post .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

juno10353 wrote: »
    Gardaí believe machete killers are Irish as they renew appeal for information over murder http://jrnl.ie/4067253

Having searched over the last few days I am amazed that there was no thread opened on this horrific incident.

Are we becoming desensitised to the horrors around us. It would seem that the last few weeks have had unprecedented amount of violent events.

A father slaughtered in front of his wife and children, mother severely injured, unbelievable savagery. Thoughts with family and friends.
    Look let's not beat about the bush,the animals who did this had a reason in their own warped minds,it's drugs,or some other criminality, majority of East Europeans murdered here are their own crowd not Irish, knives etc are their normal weapons of choice,paddy criminal will normally use a gun,quicker,less chance of DNA etc,and AFAIK the vast majority of East Europeans murdered here have been by their own fellow countrymen, doesn't matter where they come from,need to be locked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's safe to assume the attackers were not Polish. It would be impossible for a bunch of Polish criminals to carry out a ten minute attack on a Polish family during which the attackers were screaming and shouting and for the family not to be aware they were being attacked by Polish people.

It's not safe to assume anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Have the guards any definite line of enquiry?

Chances of a conviction look slim here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Red tops are saying Russian mafia, I don’t normally pay any attention to them but it would explain the level of cruelty in the attack, this isn’t the usual hit or robbery gone wrong, I hope his wife and kids can get over this somehow

I’m only linking this here I’m not saying it’s gospel, it’s the sun after all which is 90% bs

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/2722519/cork-machete-murder-hacked-over-russian-mafia-debt/amp/

There really is nothing of substance in this article, the "source" says they are only thinking of Russian sent UK gang because it's seen as too cruel for a typical Irish or EE murder. Not exactly evidence.
    We've seen machete attacks here many times though and the wife pegged them as locals based on their accent so I hope the investigation is not led astray. All you need is one psycho for a scare attack to go up a level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Shocking to think this happened a week ago and these 4 murderers have been free to go about their business unpunished ever since.

The Sunday Times reported that Gardai think the attackers are from the area and spoke with Cork accents.

They are also reporting that the victim was the subject of allegations he was involved in criminal activity and Gardai investigated these "poison pen letters" 3 years ago and found no evidence he was involved in criminality.

The letters and their author are being re examined by detectives.

Seems to be different press releases being spread around.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

The Sunday Times reported that Gardai think the attackers are from the area and spoke with Cork accents.

They are also reporting that the victim was the subject of allegations he was involved in criminal activity and Gardai investigated these "poison pen letters" 3 weeks ago and found no evidence he was involved in criminality.

The letters and their author are being re examined by detectives.

Seems to be different press releases being spread around.

A lot of it's just the rags printing anything for a headline

A lot of it's just the rags printing anything for a headline

That should have said 3 years ago, not 3 weeks.

My mistake, glad I'm not a reporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

While they thanked the public for their assistance to date, gardaaid they wished to continue to appeal to taxi and hackney drivers who were working in the Maglin, Ballincollig, Ballinora and Waterfall areas on the night of the murder.
    They have also expressed a desire to speak to a taxi driver who picked up three women at a pub in the Wilton area of Cork through a booking on a taxi app and drove to Waterfall, dropping two of the women along the way

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-investigating-murder-of-mikolaj-wilk-seek-taxi-driver-1.3533698

There'll be a record of the driver if done through an app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This has to be one of the most shocking things that's happened in the country. Its very hard to understand why news reports don't include some sort of identifying information when describing suspects. I've read that they spoke very good English but did they have any accent? How is anyone going to be caught with such vague info. I wouldn't expect the woman to have much recollection but anything she did say to Gardai should surely be in the public domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There'll be a record of the driver if done through an app

Hmm you're right. That's very strange. I wonder if that guy has gone to ground, seen something and been seen himself so is now afraid and not contactable? It should be easy to trace him if it was via the app.

• Advertisement

Brae100 wrote: »

Will the Gardai be able for the likes (if it is on this scale)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

this murder is well up there with the most brutal we have had. they really made absolute ****e out of him. if it’s true (from rumours around the city) that they made the kids watch then its brutal. i dont believe for one second that this is irish, its not the typical MO. the only thing is that where the car was left suggests that whoever did this knew the area or was given advice on the area. over the years plenty cars have been burnt out there and you know if you keep going you’re in west cock and away and hosed.

this murder is well up there with the most brutal we have had. they really made absolute ****e out of him. if it’s true (from rumours around the city) that they made the kids watch then its brutal. i dont believe for one second that this is irish, its not the typical MO. the only thing is that where the car was left suggests that whoever did this knew the area or was given advice on the area. over the years plenty cars have been burnt out there and you know if you keep going you’re in west cock and away and hosed.

I don't think they made the kids watch according to reports

Im thinking he had dangerous foreign acquaintances,but merely speculating

Possible the wife is in fear and putting the gards off the scent,who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Surprised no one has been mentioning on boards.ie about murderer Willie Moran being let out for days with his family, roaming around the town where the murder happened and where the family are. No word of warning to the family either and they were informed if they wanted to be ‘let know’ their sons/brothers/ murderer was roaming around town freely that they had to be on a ‘list’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Coked up nomad with his pride hurt I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement