Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst grub you've had out?

• 29-12-2016 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

Has to be a recent sandwich in a cafe/cake shop. it was a toasted ham sandwich, the ham was tasteless, and the ''butter'' tasted like i dont even know how to describe...awful doesn't cover it. I'm not even sure what the worst part was, the ham, the butter, or tomatoes, it was just an explosion of awful fuuckery. Shame as the staff were nice. how I finished it I do not know.

though not the worst, chicken wings in the pub werent all that excellent either. they were like a glorified side order from Dominos and wouldve cost less from there too. Twas only pub grub though.

another low-light was one of those share platters from the chinese takeaway - onion rings, chicken strips, chicken balls, tons of chips. They just buffed it up with more chips than anything else to make it look worth the price. Tons of wasted chips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Salmon with chocolate sauce one time in Galway. The place isn't open anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Really don't get it man, how can you not get a good hang sandwich or some deep fried food these days. I mean it's not like you're shooting for the top of the gastronomic pyramid here.... Disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Probably not the worst, but yesterday we took the wee girl to a new kids entertainment place that had an American style restaurant attached. Wasn't hugely hungry so order a mex taco chip. Chips had been cooked, let go cold and then reheated in the fryer, so rock hard without looking fully burnt.
    Can't understand how a chef can do that and think it's OK to serve such crap food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Went out for a romantic meal with Mrs.Osis for Valentines.

I ordered the Rack of Lamb.

What I got was some bones with a ball of fat balanced on top of them surrounded by raw fcukin chips.

Still,ended up drinking loads of wine and got the ride so wasn't too bad a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Senna wrote: »
    Probably not the worst, but yesterday we took the wee girl to a new kids entertainment place that had an American style restaurant attached. Wasn't hugely hungry so order a mex taco chip. Chips had been cooked, let go cold and then reheated in the fryer, so rock hard without looking fully burnt.
    Can't understand how a chef can do that and think it's OK to serve such crap food.

They are not chef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A chickens foot in Taipei. There was worse available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Charred scorpion from a street dealer at 3am in Bangkok. I got sick within seconds of biting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Charred scorpion from a street dealer at 3am in Bangkok. I got sick within seconds of biting it

Its so hard to find a place that does good fùckin scorpion these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Spicy cabbage eaten while drunk in some Chinese in Barcelona. Raw chunks of white cabbage with chilli sauce all over. I was mugged off that night.

Bridge93 wrote: »

Those scorpions are lovely , like crunchy chips with some flavour. You think you got a bad one or just hate the idea?
    And chicken feet aren't that bad either if they're cooked right. They're my girlfriend's snack food so I end up eating them a bit.

My worst was a big worm with a salty grey sauce in the Philippines. I can find something to like in everything but that really was just shít and saltwater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Captain America in Grafton Street. Quite simply the worst meal I've ever had and I have very low standards when it comes to food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

MadYaker wrote: »
    A chickens foot in Taipei. There was worse available.

I had "Michelin star" chicken feet in Hong Kong. Rotten stuff, was like trying to eat glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Witherspoons in Belfast. Had a Philly Cheese Steak and it was ****in manky. To be expected though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I had "Michelin star" chicken feet in Hong Kong. Rotten stuff, was like trying to eat glue.

Seven Euros worth of chicken feet my girlfriend just had delivered a few minutes ago.

http://i.imgur.com/iGmlLaB.jpg

Different strokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Some roll from Subway. I don't know how that place became popular. It's horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

That 10,000 buffet place on Abbey St.

I know I was hardly to expect 5 star cuisine but bloody dreadful stuff on every level: taste, quality, staleness, greasyness etc.

Spicy Bite downstairs in Moore St mall is a decent buffet though. Jimmy Chung's too but much more expensive.

Yours, thebuffetconnoisseur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

That 10,000 buffet place on Abbey St.

I know I was hardly to expect 5 star cuisine but bloody dreadful stuff on every level: taste, quality, staleness, greasyness etc.

Spicy Bite downstairs in Moore St mall is a decent buffet though. Jimmy Chung's too but much more expensive.

Yours, thebuffetconnoisseur.

Sure I'd have thought the look of that place would have tipped you off it was horrible :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I got a lasagne in Lamb Doyle's years ago and when I bit into it I got an almighty taste of mould.

Yock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Jellyfish in a restaurant in Singapore. Still gagging at the thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

TGI Friday's. Ate there once, never again. Ordered bruschetta which was the worst one I've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Some type of pastry from Greggs in Scotland. Threw it to the birds - they wouldnt even eat it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

TGI Friday's. Ate there once, never again. Ordered bruschetta which was the worst one I've ever had.

I second this,

absolute crap, they hang off the jack daniels sauce, if they didnt have that people wouldnt go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

A couple of years ago I ordered a veggie burger at a UK restaurant in Spain. What appeared on my plate can only be described as sludge. It was puréed veg stuck between 2 buns oozing out. Wasn't near solid at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Eddie Rocket's in swords is pretty dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

'Blue' on Harbour Road, Skerries: while the food is generally just below the average, i.e. stale fish, completely overdone burgers served cold, the' take it or leave it' service is probably the worst in North County Dublin. We were kept waiting over an hour from when the mains were cleared away for afters to be delivered. We would have walked out only it was a family birthday which was completely spoiled. We have never been back, and always warn our friends to keep well clear. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

My Mother in laws dinners. All of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Pub Grub in a Kenmare pub (can't remember name, but it was on a corner on the main street) in 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

A slimy lettuce and pig fat sambo from Lanigan's on Arran Quay was pretty bad.

They served up a toasted sandwich with an anemic looking rasher that must have seen a grill for all of 55 seconds, with the fat still in a jellyish state. The thing had also been put into a sandwich maker with lettuce inside it, which had essentially steamed the whole sorry mess. Waitress was none too pleased when I pointed out the 'crispy bacon' alluded to on the menu was nowhere in sight. You have to work hard to get a toastie so badly wrong, but they hit it out of the park that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Some restaurant in Fuengirola on New Years Eve. Lukewarm soup, lukewarm potatoes, no sauce with steak, manager didn't give a shyte, he wanted to rush us out the door so he could seat some of the people queuing outside. So we stayed and drank two more bottles of house wine instead, until the ones queuing up went somewhere else. We did them a favour anyway. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Abbeyleix around 8 years back it was a former pub in the square that lost it's licence and he carried on serving dinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Joaquin223

Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire. Took the waitress about 20 seconds to bring out our food after we ordered (chicken breast and a pasta dish). Tasted worse than those microwave ready meals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Riverside Restaurant in Charlestown, Co. Mayo.

My folks chose it and it was absolutely dire. The steak was sinewy, tough and overcooked. The chips were frozen chips. I ordered breaded brie for the starter; stuck my fork in and the outer crust shattered sending rotten liquid cheese scuttering around the plate. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭SteM

That JDs Steakhouse place. Had an awful steak and the 'chunky chips' were hard as the hobs of hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Supermacs athlone NYE 1999
    I'd had about 15 pints of Guinness and ordered a curry cheese chips and a burger...ate the whole lot, then puked it all up the following day...pure shyte it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Myself and a bunch of friends were out for a meal in London years ago. I was going through my vegetarian stage at the time and ordered the vegetable tagatelli. My food arrived first and I was amused to find that it was simply a bowl of regular tagatelli with approximately 12 peas in it and that was it. I tasted one bite of it and asked to speak to the manager. He came along and agreed that not only did it look terrible but probably tasted similar (although he declined the offer to taste how utter ****e it was) I just had a plate of chips instead as they had nothing else on offer. I didn't have to pay for either (not that I was going to anyway but at least the manager took the initiative to sort that much)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A beef dinner in Molly Keogh's. I had to cut the gravy with a knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Saw this the other day & thought it'd be handy info to hang on to for the year ahead.

It's a list of Michelin 2017’s Eating Out in Pubs Guide.
    Antrim

Billy Andy’s at Mounthill, near Larne

Clare

Morrissey’s (Doonbeg), Vaughan’s Anchor Inn (Liscannor), Wild Honey Inn (Lisdoonvarna) and Linnane’s Lobster Bar (New Quay)

Cork

Mary Ann’s (Castletownshend), Poacher’s Inn (Bandon), Deasy’s (Clonakilty), Cronin’s (Crosshaven) and Toddies at The Bulman (Kinsale)

Down

Pheasant (Annahilt), Poacher’s Pocket (Comber), Parson’s Nose and Plough Inn (both in Hillsborough) Pier 36 (Donaghadee) and Balloo House (Killinchy).

Dublin

Old Spot and Chop House (both in Ballsbridge)

Galway

Moran’s Oyster Cottage (Kilcolgan) and O’Dowd’s (Roundstone)

Kerry

O’Neill’s Seafood Bar (Caherciveen)

Kildare

Harte’s (Kildare),Ballymore Inn (Ballymore Eustace) and Fallon’s (Kilcullen)

Leitrim

Oarsman (Carrick-on-Shannon)

Louth

Fitzpatricks (Jenkinstown)

Mayo

The Tavern (Murrisk) and Sheebeen (Westport)

Sligo

Hargadons (Sligo Town)

Tipperary

Larkins (Garrykennedy)

Wexford

Lobster Pot (Carne)

Wicklow

Byrne & Woods (Roundwood).

Wild Honey Inn (Lisdoonvarna) and Toddies at The Bulman (Kinsale) both retained an “Inspectors’ Favourites” commendation, described in the Guide as ‘establishments found to be particularly charming and which offer something extra special’.
    http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/irelands-32-michelin-guide-pubs-to-try-this-week-if-youre-sick-of-christmas-cooking-35305994.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Eddie Rockets in Liffey Valley is dire. Undercooked, cold - it makes me feel ill just thinking about it.

Another place you don't have high expectations but am consistently shocked at just how low the standards are is Debenham's restaurant. The congealed curries and pasta dishes sitting out for all and sundry to maul. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Went out for a meal earlier in the year and we were left sitting for 45 minutes waiting on our food while others who arrived after were already eating.

Can't say what it tasted like but the service was shyte and the manager of the place didn't give a f&ck. It finally arrived just as we got up to go, so I told them to keep it and we had a lovely dinner in the pub across the road instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Captain America in Grafton Street. Quite simply the worst meal I've ever had and I have very low standards when it comes to food.

Have to agree with you. Was there a week ago and the food was awful.

But Unicorn on Merrion Row was probably the worst meal I've had in a long time. The steak was over done, came with a splat of mash. They tried to posh it up by dumping a few truffle shavings over it, but it was very disappointing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Before I became vegetarian. Spaghetti Bolognese in a now closed restaurant called Granny Something-or-other's in Ennis. It was mince with tomato ketchup and beans and god knows what else.
    A bowl of vegetable soup in a restaurant in West Clare. It seemed to be a bowl of curry sauce mixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Can't remember the name of the place, but it was some hotel on Harcourt St. in Dublin. It was a "Christmas dinner" about 3 years ago. The main course was a piece of rubber chicken that had been somehow "assembled" in to an unnatural shape with broken bones inside. Plus various overcooked vegetables. The desserts had been sitting on a rack in the dining room all evening, gathering dust and flies: I had been a bit hungry and managed to get something out of the chicken, but seeing those desserts just made me want to go home, so I did: game over.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Was served heated vinegar instead of heated rice wine by mistake.

I have eaten some horrible stuff, but it wasn't necessarily badly prepared or poor quality, it was just that I didn't like it.

One that was just really nothing like what it should have been was an Irish stew in some tourist pub in Galway. Really poor stuff, aimed mostly at tourists who mainly wouldn't know any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

A beef dinner in Molly Keogh's. I had to cut the gravy with a knife.

And they serve soup by the slice!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

A place called Louies on Mary Street in Cardiff in the early 00's. I think it may still be there.

A plate of cauliflower or so i thought when it came to the table.

It was actually Battered fish, peas, and hand cut chips but it was all the colour of cauliflower... and it tasted like cauliflower too. Luckily I like cauliflower... but still!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

We usually go for a pre-Christmas meal out with family and friends, this year we thought it would be "fun" especially for the kids to go to TGIs on the Green. Just awful. Very very long wait for everything including drinks. Cold food. Bottle of wine was plonked on the table, it had been opened and then the cork put back in (like you do at home). Didn't even offer to pour it? Anybody come across that before?
    They asked if everything was alright and I said no, and I don't think they knew what to do. They eventually knocked 25% of bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Kangaroo curry in Melbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

A bowl of cassoulet in Lourdes about six years ago. Can almost taste it now, it was vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chicken curry in the Chinese restaurant above The Ballyknockan Inn, Co. Wicklow.

Spongey chunks of chicken that squeaked and bounced around my mouth til I had to stop and tell the waitress it was horrible.

I'd normally say nothing and just not eat it, rather than complain, but it wasn't that cheap and there was no way I was finishing it.
    I ordered the beef stir-fry and it was a lot better.

I also had sausage and chips in The Blue Gardenia, Brittas, and cut open said sausage to find a long black hair.

Also had a burger in The West Wicklow House, Blessington recently. Burger was fatty and gristly beyond belief.

Oh also had lasagne in The Maldron Hotel, Tallaght. Outside was hot but it was icy cold in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

duffer247 wrote: »
    We usually go for a pre-Christmas meal out with family and friends, this year we thought it would be "fun" especially for the kids to go to TGIs on the Green. Just awful. Very very long wait for everything including drinks. Cold food. Bottle of wine was plonked on the table, it had been opened and then the cork put back in (like you do at home). Didn't even offer to pour it? Anybody come across that before?
    They asked if everything was alright and I said no, and I don't think they knew what to do. They eventually knocked 25% of bill.

Surprised to hear these very bad reviews, I went a few months ago and it was average enough. I suppose it was a lunch-deal so the place was quiet enough and the food was of the burgers and chicken wings variety so quite hard to f*ck up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement