Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops to hide alcohol from view

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We are going in the right direction but i believe it is still a problem in this country and it will take a lot longer than 3 years to fix it. The government should be puting forward more useful solutions instead of this hiding it behind a curtain.

This entire bill is a farce, we are going in the right direction and minimum unit pricing will have zero effect on that direction and will simply punish those of us who are able to drink responsibly.

The magic curtain idea may very well even stall the progress we have made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I'm not sure we made any progress but, we seem to be going the wrong direction on this.

Until you change the drinking culture; which is reinforced by all the tight rules, nothing is going to change.

It's all stick and no carrot.

I'm not sure we made any progress but, we seem to be going the wrong direction on this.

Until you change the drinking culture; which is reinforced by all the tight rules, nothing is going to change.

It's all stick and no carrot.

OECD figures since 2006 show alcohol consumption falling year over year, how are we not going in the right direction when you consider price of alcohol is also cheaper? That indicates price has zero effect on consumption

There is zero evidence that minimum unit pricing will change drinking culture and this magic curtain idiocy definitely won't positively change culture either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Is this not just a proposal from a junior minister that even her own party disagrees with?

Despite the misleading thread title making it sound like this is decided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

This is a brilliant idea.....if you are an astounding fcuktard of mega proportions.

The Vintners are obviously in the Governments ear over revenue losses.

*Rubs handys* "If we get the idiot punters to forget you can buy alcohol in the shop, they will have no choice but go to the pub...heh...heh...heh".

They are trying to create a stigma of casual alcohol buying. Now you need to slink into the peep showesque world of debauchery to get your ready mix appletini's.

Fcukers wont be happy until they have full control over everything.

Human barcodes are on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Can you all stop voting for these retards please? Seriously wtf? Also, whatever happened to personal accounta****ingbility? I hate this country sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thank god for such a common sense bunch of senators...sorry I wrote that wrong what I meant to say is 'holy fcuk what a shower of cretinous **** those failed political has beens really are'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

No matter what they do they will never stop "Underage Drinking" Its just too much craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Curtains create mystery
    Now I think I want even more alcohol!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Hiding the alcohol so we cannot see it is a Chinese solution to an Irish problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

They should be trying to change the culture - the race to get locked is partially about really tight pub closing hours that are too early and the total refusal of places to serve even basic food.

They all serve no food and crank up the music so you get on with less talking and more drinking.

Trying to do something to encourage pubs to open later, tax incentives to be foodier and also pushing night clubs later but trying to incentive music focus rather than just late drinking. There's a lot could be done with tax incentives and licences that focused more on quality of venue, live music (and it should include creative DJs etc)

Seems to me there's a vested interest that just wants everyone in at 9, consume maximum number of drinks, avoid all costs like food by limiting choice to a bag of crisps, throw you out by midnight to avoid staffing costs.

You're relieved of maybe €50 and go home locked thinking that equates to a good night.

You've just reminded me of the days when you got a curry in the nightclub!! I think that was a law at the time, that they had to serve food to open late? It was probably made of crap but always tasted lovely. :) That law must have been done away with.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No reason why these are mutually exclusive, both are actually good ideas, no reason not to do both and more besides.

The problem is that the pattern is to being in new laws whenever there is an issue because its cheaper than actually doing something.

Rise in crime? Create more new criminal offences. Then when people ask you to pay for more gardai you say "im tough on crime sure didnt i pass this new legislation?"

So while they are not inconsistent policies, in reality by passing a new law they can avoid having to spend money on the educational campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

FTP

So while they are not inconsistent policies, in reality by passing a new law they can avoid doing Fek all else

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would this not effectively render off licences obsolete as they rely on the visual aspect of their stock to make their sales. :confused:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Would this not effectively render off licences obsolete as they rely on the visual aspect of their stock to make their sales. :confused:

And people wonder why the VFI are so heavily lobbying for and supporting this, anyone who thinks its cus they are worried about the health of the nation is deluded or in their pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's funny that the people telling us alcohol consumption is a problem are the only people in the country that have access to a bar at work.
    If we're to educate people and change how we drink culturally, that change should start from the top and the Dail Bar should close. Although, all that will probably do is increase profits of the bar in the merrion hotel.
    It's the usual, do as I say, not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In most European countries the local newsagents sells alcohol, no problems with drink there as it's normalised, hidding it away will cause more problems. Who comes up with these unproven experiments in blowing vast amounts of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

This is why people like trump and possibly Le Pen are elected and why we had Brexit. Leave us the funk alone to live our lives. Most people don't get an urge to buy 6 bottles of wine and a case of vodka when they nip to the shop for a packet or rolos. Nanny state nonsense!!!!!

And Hitler ... Let's not forget about Hitler!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

VinLieger wrote: »
    The reasoning "restrict visibility so that children and young people will not be attracted to alcohol"

Shes a fvcking retard thinking a mystery curtain will remove children curiosity about alcohol

Chief Wiggum: You know you're not supposed to go in there. What is your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

#DontBuildAWallAroundMyAlcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Most shops, alcohol is in a separate area. Tesco Supavalue you dont wander into the alcohol section unless you intend to buy. It has always been that way. Spar/Centra has alcohol section that can be closed off.

But Aldi/Lidl have alcohol near household products.
    I saw a kid looking at wine/spirits in Lidl prob thought it was lemonade or maybe for cooking.
    During prohibited hours Irish shops have the alcohol-area closed off. Aldi/Lidl doesn't which could be kindof infringing the law. Even though you cant purchase, the products are on display to sell. Under the law those areas should be off limit.
    Maybe clarify/enforce the current law, no need for a TDs song & dance show.

If your trying to cut down on alcohol, its easy to avoid the alcohol section in Tesco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Most shops, alcohol is in a separate area. Tesco Supavalue you dont wander into the alcohol section unless you intend to buy. It has always been that way. Spar/Centra has alcohol section that can be closed off.

But Aldi/Lidl have alcohol near household products.
    I saw a kid looking at wine/spirits in Lidl prob thought it was lemonade or maybe for cooking.
    During prohibited hours Irish shops have the alcohol-area closed off. Aldi/Lidl doesn't which could be kindof infringing the law. Even though you cant purchase, the products are on display to sell. Under the law those areas should be off limit.
    Maybe clarify/enforce the current law, no need for a TDs song & dance show.

If your trying to cut down on alcohol, its easy to avoid the alcohol section in Tesco.

Not necessarily at times like Christmas when they place crates of it at the door on special offers Tom.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

durtybit wrote: »
    Mineral lanes are next, before you know it the whole shop will have exterior curtains

Fantastic.
    Gives every shop that "dodgy Dutch sex shop/peep show from the 80's" atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

They can bring all the idiotic measures they want to try and help their friends in the Vinters association, it doesn't matter. Irelands drinking culture has changed. Young people have no desire to drink in outdated pubs, they want to drink at home where they can control the music and have a few without spending half a weeks wages.

As long as greedy publicans continue to charge €5 euro+ for a pint and €4+ for a shot, then people are going to opt to drink at home, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

gramar wrote: »
    It really is silly. One thing that makes me shake my head is when you're in a supermarket before 10.30am and the drinks aisle is cordoned off.
    It looks pathetic.

It's 12:30pm on a sunday. So if you're buying the paper in the morning and want a bottle of wine for dinner? No, sorry, you must be some sort of alco to be trying to buy wine so early. Crazy.
    Same with closing times. It's 10pm and you decide to buy a drink to have at home. Sorry, you have to go out to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Aldi/Lidl have alcohol near household products.

Was there anything about the kid that made you think he was particularly thick?

VinLieger wrote: »
    OECD figures since 2006 show alcohol consumption falling year over year, how are we not going in the right direction when you consider price of alcohol is also cheaper? That indicates price has zero effect on consumption

There is zero evidence that minimum unit pricing will change drinking culture and this magic curtain idiocy definitely won't positively change culture either.

That may well have been the recession and mass emigration.
    Similar happened with our Co2 emissions and it most certainly was nothing to do with radical new environmental policies, it was the collapse of the construction sector and reduced economic activity.

Considering we've done absolutely nothing different since 2006, I wouldn't be too self congratulatory about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

As an ex-smoker I'm glad not to be reminded of my old habit whenever I get petrol or buy milk. Can't see it working in large supermarkets though, nor would I want it to.

It's not the answer. Proper education around the potential dangers of alcohol is.

We need to change the attitudes though. What's worrying me is the use of really strong spirits to (pre drink) before going on nights out. It just seems more extreme than when I was in my college days and we mainly drank beer, not shots of cheap spirits.

It's just looking like a certain % of the population are inevitability going to see health consequences.

• Advertisement

That may well have been the recession and mass emigration.
    Similar happened with our Co2 emissions and it most certainly was nothing to do with radical new environmental policies, it was the collapse of the construction sector and reduced economic activity.

Considering we've done absolutely nothing different since 2006, I wouldn't be too self congratulatory about it.

Why do we need to have done something different to acknowledge that alcohol consumption is down across the board? You similarly can't rule out its not due to changing attitudes to alcohol naturally happening over time.

Comparing the construction sector and C02 drop to alcohol consumption dropping is a poor analogy, you have no evidence that there is any similarities between the two other than wild unfounded speculation.

Advertisement