Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops to hide alcohol from view

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Whatevs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Nothing wrong with any of that, imo, all common sense really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

That should work, Once people can't see there favourite beers n wines they will all stop drinking and we will all live happily ever after. Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Curtains create mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Mineral lanes are next, before you know it the whole shop will have exterior curtains

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Really ? Sure next they be covering in pubs . If there really concerned about alcoholic abuse in this country they will start with it in the schools at a young age in trying n show the harm it can do if abused, and take some of the glamour away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

This is why people like trump and possibly Le Pen are elected and why we had Brexit. Leave us the funk alone to live our lives. Most people don't get an urge to buy 6 bottles of wine and a case of vodka when they nip to the shop for a packet or rolos. Nanny state nonsense!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

That should work, Once people can't see there favourite beers n wines they will all stop drinking and we will all live happily ever after. Amen.

These Politicians are such clever people , they deserve a pay rise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The reasoning "restrict visibility so that children and young people will not be attracted to alcohol"

Shes a fvcking retard thinking a mystery curtain will remove children curiosity about alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Really ? Sure next they be covering in pubs . If there really concerned about alcoholic abuse in this country they will start with it in the schools at a young age in trying n show the harm it can do if abused, and take some of the glamour away from it.

No reason why these are mutually exclusive, both are actually good ideas, no reason not to do both and more besides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

This is why people like trump and possibly Le Pen are elected and why we had Brexit. Leave us the funk alone to live our lives. Most people don't get an urge to buy 6 bottles of wine and a case of vodka when they nip to the shop for a packet or rolos. Nanny state nonsense!!!!!

You had to go there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

VinLieger wrote: »
    The reasoning "restrict visibility so that children and young people will not be attracted to alcohol"
    Shes a fvcking retard thinking a mystery curtain will remove children curiosity about alcohol
    You could argue that it is working with tobacco

snubbleste wrote: »
    You could argue that it is working with tobacco

Tobacco is in a restricted place in the shops already I do not believe that the hiding it behind a door behind the counter that has labels of all the tobacco producers on it has any effect and it is far more likely to do with education and changing of opinions as well as the no smoking in doors.

Imagine you were a child of say 10-12 and went into a shop, there's a curtain all the adults are allowed go through but for some arbitrary reason to do with age you arent. Tell me what happens does your curiosity and need to go into this special room and do what all the lucky adults are doing decrease or increase?

Now your suddenly 15-16 and youve gotten your hands on the magic elixir that your not even allowed be near in shops, what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Typical solution to an Irish problem brush it under a rug or in this case hide it behind a curtain. How about we tackle the binge drinking problem in Ireland first where thousands of young people go out every week and get absolutely **** faced. Also the fact you can buy cheap alcohol only adds to the problem of binge drinking in this country, but hey the solution to these problems is the hide the alcohol behind a curtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It seems like its curtains for the off trade industry

Typical solution to an Irish problem brush it under a rug or in this case hide it behind a curtain. How about we tackle the binge drinking problem in Ireland first where thousands of young people go out every week and get absolutely **** faced. Also the fact you can buy cheap alcohol only adds to the problem of binge drinking in this country, but hey the solution to these problems is the hide the alcohol behind a curtain.

Binge drinking is actually decreasing year on year since 2012, the public health alcohol bill is a bail out for publicans lobbied HEAVILY for by the VFI

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You can buy cheap booze, where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

i'd be more concerned about children consuming large energy drinks and eating all the cheap priced chocolate, that i seen them doing on their school breaks.that , than have them seeing alcohol in a shop, while i dont drink myself i do bring my son to the pub for food once a week. will that be outlawed next?? drugs are hidden from view and yet they're freely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Binge drinking is actually decreasing year on year since 2012, the public health alcohol bill is a bail out for publicans lobbied HEAVILY for by the VFI

And here we get to the core of this and other such measures... pubs trying to restrict shop sales of booze in the hope that they will go to the pub instead....

I already get annoyed that I can get a bottle of wine at 10:05pm after a long drive but I could go down to the pub and drink a couple of pints and shots before half eleven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Typical Irish response. Cover up the problem and it will go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

A lot of people drink for the damage it does. That is the appeal sometimes.

There should be far better support for mental health, might not stop people hitting the bottle but its an attempt, more than a fecking curtain.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Obviously supermarkets will just create "Santa's grotto" type facades to make the drinks isle seem like a magical mystery tour, competently rendering the spirit behind the legislation mute and probably end up doing more harm than good.

We have learnt nothing from history if we think creating a mystic around something won't garner interest in it. Its human nature to be curious of something we're told we can't have.

My own personal opinion is that alcohol sale and consumption should be as normalised as possible so that partaking isn't seen as a rebellious act or something to aspire to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

i don't see how it is. I find it quite trivial. We know it's there. Why is it being hidden? Am I a three year old who's been too naughty and not allowed to see there's cookies on the counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

i don't see how it is. I find it quite trivial. We know it's there. Why is it being hidden? Am I a three year old who's been too naughty and not allowed to see there's cookies on the counter?

It really is silly. One thing that makes me shake my head is when you're in a supermarket before 10.30am and the drinks aisle is cordoned off.
    It looks pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

gramar wrote: »
    Typical Irish response. Cover up the problem and it will go away.

Should have had curtains for the alter boys years ago and the Church wouldn't be in this mess today

You can buy cheap booze, where?

Most offies around me sell naggins for 5 euro and you can buy 8 cans for 10 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

The French don't do nanny state about alcohol, nobody sees any need to and actually tend to want more regulation in other areas. One of the major French complaints about the EU has been excessive deregulation - complete opposite reason to UKIP.

If you think Trump is going to remove nanny state stuff, think again. He's supported by and surrounding himself with extremely socially conservative political figures, many of whom would likely have very strict views around alcohol and anything associated with 'vice'. That would typically include alcohol - many parts of the Bible belt have extremely tough liquor laws compared to Ireland.

You can expect they'll deregulate things that protected people from market extremes while being extremely intrusive about regulation of personal lives based on notions of religious fundamentalism.

So, if you're voting Trump or Le Pen because of Irish Government attempts to curb a genuinely serious problem with binge drinking, you might want to look a bit harder at what these characters actually represent.

I'm not at all opposed to alcohol but Ireland genuinely does have a massive drinking problem and an international reputation for it.

If, as I suspect is the case, people are drinking way more spirits, we are probably going to see a sharp rise in serious liver disease and other issues. It isn't unreasonable for the government to try and prevent this.

We are going in the right direction but i believe it is still a problem in this country and it will take a lot longer than 3 years to fix it. The government should be puting forward more useful solutions instead of this hiding it behind a curtain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

They should be trying to change the culture - the race to get locked is partially about really tight pub closing hours that are too early and the total refusal of places to serve even basic food.

They all serve no food and crank up the music so you get on with less talking and more drinking.

Trying to do something to encourage pubs to open later, tax incentives to be foodier and also pushing night clubs later but trying to incentive music focus rather than just late drinking. There's a lot could be done with tax incentives and licences that focused more on quality of venue, live music (and it should include creative DJs etc)

Seems to me there's a vested interest that just wants everyone in at 9, consume maximum number of drinks, avoid all costs like food by limiting choice to a bag of crisps, throw you out by midnight to avoid staffing costs.

You're relieved of maybe €50 and go home locked thinking that equates to a good night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Put the sweets up in the high press too out of reach of the childer, then we nearly have a full mammy state. Wrap the darlings up in cotton wool until they're 35 at least, and strapped in the back seat of the car while we drive them to their jobs on main roads limited to 80km/ hour.

Advertisement