Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politcally Incorrect

Options
  • 20-11-2018 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

This thread is a response to the overwhelming pressure on free speech we all feel these days, whether we admit it or not.

I run a meetup group in Cork every second Thursday. It's called:

Politically Incorrect

We discuss all kinds of things that are suppressed in the media and generally in society. All viewpoints are welcome, especially uncomfortable ones.

Please share your incorrect thoughts here.

Do you want Ireland to leave the EU? 268 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Yes
    100% 268 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

D'oh I think I clicked Yes by accident! Please take one vote from Yes and add it to NO, I do not want Ireland to leave the EU.

And to the OP how has the question of leaving the EU got anything to do with Political Correctness and how is membership of the EU putting an overwhelming pressure on free speech.

It would be good to hear some examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't feel any pressure whatsoever on free speech, unless you're referring to the current zeitgeist against being a prick to women and what-have-you.

Oh and, leaving the EU would be a lip-wobblingly, trouser-flappingly, five-star ocean going fuckin' stupid idea with four funnels and the full complement of lifeboats. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

jimgoose wrote: »
    I don't feel any pressure whatsoever on free speech, unless your referring to the current zeitgeist against being a prick to women and what-have-you.

Oh and, leaving the EU would be a lip-wobblingly, trouser-flappingly, five-star ocean going fuckin' stupid idea with four funnels and the full complement of lifeboats. :D

I stand and applaud that comment!

Poetry!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So is this a Eurosceptic group or a place for people to blame others for all their troubles??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I don't get the title coupled with the poll.
    I've seen the issue discussed, and polls on the matter, so it's not suppressed in the media. It's just that the majority of people don't want it. The only ones I've seen that do, are just Irish versions of Mogg and Johnson; which thankfully we don't have too many of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So is this a Eurosceptic group or a place for people to blame others for all their troubles??

I clicked on the link and from what I can see the latest discussion is how poor white people who never did nothing to no-one are the victims of racism.

Sure thing- white Europeans didn't try to take over the world, introduce white only policies in conquered lands, engage in genocide, start not one but 2 World Wars...
    But we haven't done anything recently to deserve criticism.. :rolleyes:

Never mind the fact the one of the reasons Europe has been relatively stable for the last few decades (setting what happened the Balkans in the 1990s/ NI up until the Peace Process etc etc) is because of the E.U.

Not so much Politically Incorrect as Historically Incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Paul Lee

jimgoose wrote: »
    I don't feel any pressure whatsoever on free speech, unless you're referring to the current zeitgeist against being a prick to women and what-have-you.

Guys you couldn't have added more weight to my argument. Thanks!

<a href="sarcasm" Why should we vote at all? Lets just make it official and let the communists in Brussels run everything. What's the point in trying to live a free life anyway? What a stupid idea. Thanks for putting me straight lads.></a>

Poor OP. You must have been banned from People's Republic of Cork.
    They would have given your poll the respect it deserved and voted as you would have liked. I voted no too like most other boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sure thing- white Europeans didn't try to take over the world, introduce white only policies in conquered lands, engage in genocide, start not one but 2 World Wars...
    W. T. F.

Take your pseudo-american guilt, cry it into a Starbucks cup, and take it back with you to the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

All viewpoints are welcome, especially uncomfortable ones.
    The OP seems uncomfortable with some of the viewpoints expressed here :)
    Maybe this is his point?

OP also seems to believe that there are communists everywhere - in Brussels and even running indoctrination camps in UCC :confused:

• Advertisement

How much do you value free speech?

Free speech (including very much your free speech) is fundamentally important to civil society. Without it we are f*cked. Way more than I think you can comprehend.

Not interested in free speech? Then please just be honest and openly admit you're a communist or a fascist. I could respect that a lot more than not admitting it while not supporting free speech. I say this without emotion, angry or otherwise. Just being straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its possible to value free speech and disagree that white people are oppressed in Western society.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Paul Lee wrote: »
    How much do you value free speech?

Not interested in free speech? Then please just be honest and openly admit you're a communist or a fascist. I could respect that a lot more than not admitting it while not supporting free speech. I say this without emotion, angry or otherwise. Just being straight.

I’ll openly admit I pressed the wrong button. They didn’t give any instructions on how to participate in online polls in all those communist indoctrination classes I attended

The OP seems uncomfortable with some of the viewpoints expressed here :)
    Maybe this is his point?

OP also seems to believe that there are communists everywhere - in Brussels and even running indoctrination camps in UCC :confused:

Yes, I'm uncomfortable with some viewpoints. You're dead right. But I'm not going to take my ball and go away in a huff. That's the whole point. We're all adults, right?

Since you brought up UCC, here's some info about the Student's Union (Which has a muti coloured star for a logo.

The EWG Officers are as follows:

Gender Equality Officer

LGBTQ Rights Officer

Disability Rights Officer

Environmental Officer

Look at all the equality going on there. Wouldn't like to mess with those guys. Sorry girls. Sorry, um.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Where is the Communist Indoctrination Camp Officer? And the anti-free speech officer?

Sorry, I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Are one of these fellas who paint over street names with O'Cadhla and his crew of loonies?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Its possible to value free speech and disagree that white people are oppressed in Western society.

Absolutely Susie.

I didn't intend to bring out that topic but as someone has so kindly done so, here are a few examples that support my point.

Sinead O'Connor said recently that she no longer wants to have anything to do with white people. Must be hard to exist inside a conundrum. anyway..

Don Lemon, news anchor guy in the US said that White Men are the greatest terror threat to the US

New York Times hires Sarah Jeong. I don't really care that she hates white people. She is free to do that all day long. It's just a problem when the NYT supports her rants without challenge. Imagine any other race being singled out. Here's an excerpt from occidentaldissent.com:

“The New York Times’ newest editorial hire has a history of racist tweets against white people.

NYT announced on Wednesday that they hired Sarah Jeong to join their editorial board. Jeong previously wrote for the Verge and authored “The Internet of Garbage,” a book about online harassment and free speech.

Shortly after Jeong’s hire, Twitter users unearthed old tweets in which she expressed an extreme distaste for white people.

“Dumbass f**king white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants,” she tweeted in 2016.

Another tweet reads, “oh man it’s kind of sick how much joy I get from being cruel to old white men. …”

CHealy wrote: »
    Are one of these fellas who paint over street names with O'Cadhla and his crew of loonies?

Yes, anyone with a viewpoint you disagree with is a loonie. Just a way to try and shut people up.

I hear this all day and it gets boring.

Well done though. Brave warrior you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes, anyone with a viewpoint you disagree with is a loonie. Just a way to try and shut people up.

"I advocate free speech. Peoples' ideas are being suppressed."

- "Cool. But what's this about leaving the EU? That would be stupid!"

"Exactly my point. You're a communist, a facist and you hate free speech!"

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Yes, I'm uncomfortable with some viewpoints. You're dead right. But I'm not going to take my ball and go away in a huff. That's the whole point. We're all adults, right?

Since you brought up UCC, here's some info about the Student's Union (Which has a muti coloured star for a logo.

Not multicoloured :eek:

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

namloc1980 wrote: »

Sounds like a safe space for people with dumb ideas where their dumb views can go unchallenged. The thinking behind it is straight-forward if you substitute "dumb ideas being challenged" for "censorship".

Ah here. I don't have any guilt for any of those actions, cause they weren't mine. Linking guilt to someones skin colour?
    War, slavery, genocide.......... they're not owned by any one particular race.

Lets just make it official and let the communists in Brussels run everything. What's the point in trying to live a free life anyway?
    What exactly is your definition of a communist?
    And you do live a free life, in a free country, in a free EU. Try voicing your anti-establishment rhetoric in a real communist region and see how you get on with your 'freedoms'.

This thread is brilliant. OP is all about attacks on free speech and looking for a place to allow free speech flourish and even had "All viewpoints are welcome, especially uncomfortable ones."

People question the group's motives (is it anti-EU?) expressing their view freely and OP starts to lambast them as closet fascists/communists. Comedy gold in fairness. OP wants free speech, but only the kind he wants to hear.

Zulu wrote: »
    W. T. F.

Take your pseudo-american guilt, cry it into a Starbucks cup, and take it back with you to the states.

Go way ya gowl. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I clicked on the link and from what I can see the latest discussion is how poor white people who never did nothing to no-one are the victims of racism.

The Japanese started World War 2 as part of their quest to dominate Asia and the Pacific. They invaded China two years before Germany invaded Poland. To say that genocide, conquest and racism are uniquely European traits is to take a very European and American centric view of history. The Mongols conquered, raped and genocided all the way from Korea to Croatia, two hundred years before Columbus discovered America.

What’s even more ridiculous though is to claim that the distant descendants of the serfs who suffered locally, rather than remotely, under the brutal rule of the minority European elite should today shoulder the blame of historical atrocities.

This thread is a response to the overwhelming pressure on free speech we all feel these days, whether we admit it or not.

I run a meetup group in Cork every second Thursday. It's called:

Politically Incorrect

We discuss all kinds of things that are suppressed in the media and generally in society. All viewpoints are welcome, especially uncomfortable ones.

Please share your incorrect thoughts here.

What kind of things do you discuss that are "suppressed" as you put it?

Ah here. I don't have any guilt for any of those actions, cause they weren't mine. Linking guilt to someones skin colour?
    War, slavery, genocide.......... they're not owned by any one particular race.

Where did I say you should be guilty?
    Or anyone alive now?
    Oh right. I didn't.

I simply pointed out the historical fact that white people are not, and have never been, sunshine and lollipops and to claim some global superiority on the basis that in Europe we have managed to stop killing each other for the last 80 odd years* (having gleefully done so for the previous 2000) is ridiculous. Plus much of that lack of killing is down to the existence of the E.U.

Globally White Europeans were rapacious, land grabbing, and genocidal pretty much until we exhausted ourselves with world wars.
    Our legacy lived on in places like Australia with the Whites Only Policy and in South Africa with Apartheid.

*excluding the Balkans and N.I. where we haven't hit the 30 year other not killing each other mark yet.

snotboogie wrote: »
    The Japanese started World War 2 as part of their quest to dominate Asia and the Pacific. They invaded China two years before Germany invaded Poland. To say that genocide, conquest and racism are uniquely European traits is to take a very European and American centric view of history. The Mongols conquered, raped and genocided all the way from Korea to Croatia, two hundred years before Columbus discovered America.

What’s even more ridiculous though is to claim that the distant descendants of the serfs who suffered locally, rather than remotely, under the brutal rule of the minority European elite should today shoulder the blame of historical atrocities.

Did I say they were exclusive to White Europeans?

Nope.

We were, however, better than anyone else at it.

The Japanese - for example - utterly failed to create an Empire upon which the sun never set - the Spanish and the British managed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Did I say they were exclusive to White Europeans?

Nope.

We were, however, better than anyone else at it.

The Japanese - for example - utterly failed to create an Empire upon which the sun never set - the Spanish and the British managed it.

I don’t think Europeans were much better at empires, a lot of it was right place right time during proto globalism and the sheer luck of the equally or more advanced at the time Chinese neglecting naval technology. The Spanish empire was almost entirely made up of countries who had been isolated from technological advances for thousands of years. The Japanese empire was gained through grueling military campaigns against comparable foes who were well aware of the Japanese military threat. Europe was on top of an ever revolving technological hierarchy at the moment that real globalization became a possibility. Thats it. There is nothing uniquely great or evil about white Europeans.

Advertisement