Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World - II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I didn't make it to class last week, Saturday, as I was away with work.
    I've drawn a line in the metaphorical sand, refused all invitations on Sunday and spend the day getting myself, my kitchen and my fridge in order.
    Feel much better being prepared for the week ahead!

I'm thinking a tasty veg loaded chicken curry this evening, something quick to warm the bones....tis cold out there folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Well done Shelli2 for making that decision to get yourself sorted!
    It would have been so easy to not do that and go in to another week feeling frazzled.

I was down 2 pounds last night and I got slimmer of the week. Delighted with myself.

This weekend I'm going to whiskey live so I made out a plan with my consultant about how I'm going to face the whole thing.

So before I'm going to stay on plan, go to Nandos for dinner since I know the syn values and they're easily found online. Then for the tasting I'm not going to deprive myself.

But afterwards I'm not going to go to a greasy burger place with my friends. I'm going to be strong and resist it and then back on plan the next day.

I think this is the best way to protest myself and hopefully not have a gain at my next weigh in!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Does anyone use Air Fryer for their chips? Any recommendations of a good one?

Dunnes have one half price on Friday - http://www.dunnesstores.com/tower-4.3l-digital-air-fryer/black-friday/dunnesstores/fcp-product/4830122

Dunnes have one half price on Friday - http://www.dunnesstores.com/tower-4.3l-digital-air-fryer/black-friday/dunnesstores/fcp-product/4830122

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-AL806040-ActiFry-Low-Fryer/dp/B00ABBR7GI

I've had this one for about 5 or 6 years now (maybe even longer) and I use it at least once a week to make potato or sweet potato chips. I know the price is a bit much but it's still perfect after all these years.

There should be a lot of deals in currys, DID etc over the next week with black Friday sales.

I have tried every brand of airfryer going, and I time and time again I go back to the Tefal Actifry, nothing else comes close.

We use it close to every day in our house. I cook my chips in it, sausages, small roast spuds, spiced veg - it can do sauces and curries too.

The kids use the new basket attacement for their fish fingers and other stuff too.

It's well worth the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

4lb down this week... I'm just delighted and so surprised, I'd only been to the gym once last week so felt so sluggish!

Went shopping today and for food.. so proud I ended up having subway salad instead of burger king..
    I hope this new found willpower lasts over the Xmas festivities

I presume a lot of ye in groups received this from your consultant on facebook groups but I'll post it anyways. I printed it out and I've taped it to my computer screen at work.

This time of the year weight loss may seem so much harder- maybe you’re thinking it’s impossible!

With Christmas parties, shopping trips, Christmas Day and New Years it can be very easy to say I’ll leave Slimming World and start again in January.

I’d love you to take a few minutes and think about what you want in January. Sometimes this time of year is more about protecting your weight loss than losing more. Break it down into meals- how many meals can you have on plan instead of looking at it as a busy month where you can’t lose weight. We know the average gain Christmas week is between 10lbs-14lbs if you were to stop food optimising. That’s one week.

Imagine what could happen if you were to stop coming now until January. Give yourself the best possible chance. We will help you put plans in place week in week out in group to help you along your journey. You can absolutely do this ���� xxx

There was also this.. The negative thinking: No way I'll lose weight this month. I have 4 organised Christmas partied plus the odd unorganised one. Plus Christmas & Boxing Day.

The positive thinking: December has 31 days, minus my 4 parties, 2 dinners, 4 extras. Looks like it's all down to my 21 on plan days whether I can keep on trying or give up.

I went shopping last night to look for Christmas party clothes and I bought a few items thinking ah yeah they'll do. When I tried them on at home I was amazed at the person looking back at me!

Using the mirror I've been looking at myself at all these months, well it was showing me someone else's body that i didn't even recognise!

That's given my enough motivation to stay on track this weekend with my visit to Dublin!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Congrats Areas that's brilliant! Takes forever for your brain to catch up with your body. Mine's slowly coming around. It's weird, sometimes I'm super happy with how I'm looking and other times I'm scolding how fat I am. Any tips on how to speed up/get my brain to come around?
    Shelli2 wrote: »
    I have tried every brand of airfryer going, and I time and time again I go back to the Tefal Actifry, nothing else comes close.

Thanks for the recommendation, looking at a 1L one it's £240 on Amazon, is that the general price, and is it good for 1-2 people?
    Areas wrote: »
    December has 31 days, minus my 4 parties, 2 dinners, 4 extras. Looks like it's all down to my 21 on plan days whether I can keep on trying or give up.

That's a brilliant attitude. Penn's definitely right to worry about the in-between days and not the big nights out. It's the everyday choices that'll get us! I've budgeted 5lbs gain over Xmas, so it's motivating me to eat healthy now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Brilliant result Lashes, 4lbs is a serious drop! Congrats to Areas too on the "New You" in the mirror. To help the brain catch up and register one's new reflection I find it useful to look at the size or waistband on clothes that used to fit and compare it with what currently fits. The other one is to compare older pics with more recent photos, somehow I can see the difference more objectively in a photo rather than the mirror.

On Shelli's recommendation I too was browsing the Tefal Air Fryers on Amazon, the thought of proper chips! I feel like Homer Simpson contemplating pork chops, Mmmmmmmm. Jaykhunter, £240 seems like a lot to pay. On clicking through some of the Tefal models, I came across this:

Tefal GH840B40 ActiFry Plus Air Fryer, 1.2 kg, in grey reduce to £99.99.

It might not be the lastest model, but it has 75% five star reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BHW1KQW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B078QT1288&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=8e5be0e3-b258-4b06-8b6e-695b24f935a4&pd_rd_wg=NUQOq&pf_rd_r=VFJTJXFWKXJJDMGWQ8Z7&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=qg3gI&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=6f9dee8c-ef0b-11e8-8b45-e766818ee237&th=1

It seems to be out of stock at the moment, but in the left column they say they'll deliver it when it becomes available. Am very tempted at that price, my only worry would be that it might NOT become available again. Does anyone have any experience of this on Amazon? Would they not just state "discontinued" or remove it from the listing if it wasn't going to come back into stock?

• Advertisement

I have the white version of this:
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4878647/Trail/searchtext>Actifry.htm

It easily holds enough chips for 3 extra large portions or 4 smaller ones. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 33,282 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4878647/Trail/searchtext>Actifry.html

Fixed link

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4878647/Trail/searchtext>Actifry.htm

I can't seem to get that link working, Shelli, it keeps returning "Product not found", perhaps they have run out? Maybe you could type in the name of the model you have? It sounds ideal.

Just tried searching for Tefal Air Fryer on Google (rather than on Amazon as I did earlier) and there appear to be some pretty good deals on the Littlewoods Ireland site. The original Tefal model is reduced to €104.99.

Edited to add: Thanks Penn, hadn't seen your fix!

Went into Aldi this morning intending to get something diet-friendly for the dinner, came out with this, reduced to €99.99. Delighted!

Saw this posted on the SW subreddit by ongobay, love how SW is summarised (when asked about the plan by a former Keto dieter, and what if u eat under 5 syns/day):
    Ex Saw consultant here. Less than 5 syns won’t be an issue as in such, however studies have shown that by not having “treats” then we won’t stick to the plan long term - it’s true for any eating plan. If we feel restricted then at some point we’ll give up. The plan has been sectioned for men to have upto 500 (300 for woman) calories a day of “treats”. The majority of SW members following the plan 100% will end up having around 1200 - 1800 calories on average each day (depending male / female & starting weight)

Essentially SW gets us to focus on the healthy foods first, and if we’re following the plan 100% with the adequate amount of speed free foods (lowest calorie / highest filling foods) then we’ll run on a high enough calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Throw yourself into the plan & just know it’s all been calculated so we get the right nutrition without worrying about counting etc.

Staying to group helps too as it gives the continued motivation which is key.

Best of luck this week folks!

I haven't made group for 3 weeks now due to work commitments.

I had two disastrous weeks during which I know I had a massive gain, but really pulled it back last week and weighed myself on Saturday and was the same as my last group weigh in, so I was happy with that. Looking for a good loss this week to get me back on track.

I'm missing my long walks badly, with the weather and work I haven't been getting out at all.

After gaining a lot earlier this year I packed up my wardrobe into vacuum bags, separated by size, and vowed not to buy anything new. I have been living in two pairs of jeans in a size 16 for the last few months, and I'm pushing now to be able to dump them and break out the bag of size 14s before Xmas. Another 4 or 5 lbs should do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Down 1.5lbs. Got my stone award.

Scribbler100 sweet buy! Let us know how u get on with the new airfryer :)

That's brilliant Shelli2 you pulled it back, going extra hardcore and coming out like nothing happened :D Getting a size down before Xmas must be a great feeling! Plus you'll remember how they used to fit. Great stuff. Will u do anything to replace the long walks, gym maybe? Not ideal but jaysus it's torrential outside! Plus with the holidays they'll be nearly empty :P

I lost 3.5lbs! I've been in a funk these last few weeks, like maintain, down 0.5 etc so it's nice to pass the 75lb lost mark and get a new award!

6PoOkT7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I’m sort of ashamed to admit it but I think I’ve given up going to group. I always would have said I got so much out of it and I didn’t stop going intentionally. But I had a week where my daughter was ill, then we were away, then something else came up. And now it’s 6 weeks since I’ve been and I’m still sticking to plan and doing well. Only a pound to go to my target!

My target is definitely something I could work on and being down more. I’m sure many people’s starting weight would be lower than my target. But Christmas is coming and then I’m going on a 3.5 week holiday. I’m still going to follow the plan as much as possible then but I do plan on letting loose just a little bit and I’ll look at lowering my target by maybe another stone at the start of February.

So basically you’re all my group now!! 😄

Awww! If you're doing well on the plan by yourself, then you don't need group. It's there for motivation, support, accountability, bit of craic and recipe ideas. If u have all those then sure, try it by yourself (you'll be doing that when at target most of the time :) ) If ya start gaining for a few weeks then it'd be time to go again, but until then (without sounding too dramatic) you've got SW inside you!

If it's just a temp target, just keep going, but it is good to have a number, or practical goal (like a size dress) to aim for. You're doing great! So kick some butt this week :)

• Advertisement

I'm going to a wedding this weekend and it's one of those 3 day ones!
    From group I got little tips such as, don't have bread with the soup.
    Don't have alcohol until after the dinner.
    Just little things that will add up to when I go to my weigh in on Monday.
    I'm going an SP week this week and usually when I do it, even a day or 2 in I immediately feel less bloated but this time I'm feeling like a balloon. I'm going to stick with it anyways and hopefully it will counteract some of what I'll do over the weekend.
    I had a full day of being away yesterday (traipsing around Ikea for half the day) and felt great when I broke out my salad instead of going for whatever they had there!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Sorry there are probably a million messages like this but I am joining next week and a bit nervous. I have tried low gi, the 5-2 diet, and calorie counting/gym. My downfall is pints... I am great during the week but once the weekend comes I love to go for a few pints on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully I can lose and not sacrifice my social life! I am starting at the worse possible time lol but maybe it will help me have a good responsible christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

never_mind wrote: »
    Sorry there are probably a million messages like this but I am joining next week and a bit nervous. I have tried low gi, the 5-2 diet, and calorie counting/gym. My downfall is pints... I am great during the week but once the weekend comes I love to go for a few pints on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully I can lose and not sacrifice my social life! I am starting at the worse possible time lol but maybe it will help me have a good responsible christmas.

Good on you for making the decision to join. SW is a great plan and means you'll be eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

That said, its not magic and you're going to have to address the pints issue. SW doesnt advocate abstance or totally ruining your social life, but you will need to make changes.

Sinking pinks is really calorific and delivers basically no nutritional benefit, so in SW its going to be high in syns. That said, SW is all about about making better choices. There will be lists of what syns are in what beers etc. Also choosing bottles over pints is a way of portion control.

If you really want to drink on SW, clear spirits with zero calorie mixers will get you the most for your syns. Gin and slimline tonic or vodka with soda water or 7up free.

Thanks, Sozboz, it is definitely something I need to address because it probably isn't helping me.

I don't know if I want to know what I weigh (bit scared!!) is there any way I can ask the trainer to keep this from me? Ha! Also, I'll be wearing my clothes and shoes so I'm sure it's not 100% anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks, Sozboz, it is definitely something I need to address because it probably isn't helping me.

I don't know if I want to know what I weigh (bit scared!!) is there any way I can ask the trainer to keep this from me? Ha! Also, I'll be wearing my clothes and shoes so I'm sure it's not 100% anyway.

You take your shoes off (wear/bring socks)
    normal clothes don't account for more than 1 or 2 lbs. The weighin will be pretty accurate. That said, it also doesnt really matter - its the consistency thats important - you'll be weighing every week at the same time, always wearing clothes, so its the difference from week to week that matters.

If I were you I wouldnt drink at all in week one. Follow the plan as much as you can so that you get the best result you can - the loss will motivate you for the weeks ahead.

Great thinking Sozboz about the drinking but I have a Christmas party of some shape or form every weekend between now and Jan... Hopefully food wise I will do better and will stick to gin if I decide to drink!

Looking forward to getting started.

Well done, Ally Pally, managing to stay on plan and progress without having to attend group. I couldn't resist showing up for the weigh-in where I achieved my target :D. That said, this thread does feel very much like an actual group with lots of support and advice to be had on strategies, recipes etc.

Welcome never_mind! Any time you feel ready to start is a good time. I started on October 10th and despite the odd fall from grace, have lost 13.5lbs to date. The SW plan works really well and with a bit of planning you need never be hungry.

With Christmas coming, there is lots of information and support in group and online around which foods/drinks are massively calorific and which ones would be more plan-friendly. The main thing is you will be able to make informed choices one way or the other.

SozBbz has given some great advice above. Regarding alcohol, I have had to cut back my consumption, NOT rule it out. When the weight starts coming off, you will feel encouraged to pause and actively decide whether you want another pint more than you want to be down a couple of pounds next week. The odd slip won't undo all your good work, but sticking to the plan will yield good results more quickly. You can take it at your own pace, but you'll be moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Pints and wine are a killer for calories unfortunately. SW allows for lots of flexibility and treats so I’m sure you’ll find lower calorie / syn options. The pints are a habit at the moment and you’ll develop lots of new and healthier habits at SW.

I absolutely know what you mean about not wanting to know your weight. I was the same. But I actually think you should find out as it can be a great motivator. I thought I knew my weight when I joined. I was actually half a stone heavier than I thought. It made me realise just how out of control my weight had gotten and it gave me SUCH motivation to fix it and never get back to that weight again. Don’t mind your clothes and shoes - I fooled myself for long enough putting a bad result on the scales down to clothes and the like. It’s nonsense. Your clothes don’t weigh that much and the scales there will be accurate.

It’s honestly a great plan and I’m sure you’ll do great. As for joining now, look at it this way. If you can be motivated and stick to the plan with temptation all around at Christmas then you can do it any time. And you’ll be facing into the new year lighter, motivated and in control.

Ah man, pints absolute destroy weight loss! I'm 6 days strictly on plan + 1 night boozing = maintain at best :D

Consider ordering gin and sparkling water (I don't trust bartenders to know/have diet tonic water) but damn, Gin is awful. Meant I barely drank! But doing a mixer, alcohol + mixer, mixer, alcohol + mixer pacing yourself works well - if you scrimp on syns earlier in the day you could have 4 alcoholic drinks and still be on plan! I do rum and diet coke.

Great on ya never_mind for joining SW before Xmas, it'll really, really help out getting you in the right direction before the gorging happens all around you!

• Advertisement

Well done for making the decision to join before Christmas!
    This group is fantastic for support and motivation!

Advertisement