Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Intruder Alarms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Bluefoam wrote: »
    After 3 years you can cancel the contract. All equipment reverts to your ownership, security company give you all appropriate codes to allow you to use the Ajax app

Just so you are aware, I'm pretty sure you would use the standard Ajax app even with monitoring from Home Secure.

Attached are 2 screenshots from the Hub settings where you choose your security company. Home Secure is the only option listed for Ireland.

I was planning to get the Ajax alarm because I didn't want monitoring... but I got an offer of free installation from Home Secure... all I have to do is play monitoring of €35/month for three years...

They are providing sensors on external doors, all downstairs windows, two PIR motion detectors, key panel & exterior siren/light box...

One thing they mentioned is that they are no longer providing the NFC fob, but that it now works via the app... Before I sign up, is there anything I need to consider? Does the app use NFC or geofencing? It seems reasonable value to me...

THey say after the three years, that I can chose to cancel the monitoring. Will I be able to switch to the Ajax app after that?

Shame they don't include the fob. My wife and I have one and find it very useful. App is good too but easier using the fob when you get home or are going out. Might be worth asking why? And if you could buy your own and add it to the system.

I'm about 6 weeks in now and no regrets. I've been adding sensors myself without any issue and I still have a couple to go, including a curtain sensor for outside.

I haven't actually managed up get geofencing working. Need to contact support about it. I think it's because on install of the app I set it to only use location services when app is open rather than all the time. Reinstalling the app doesn't give me the option to change this though so need to investigate further.

Home Secure seem like a good company (they gave me advice even after I told them I wasn't interested in monitoring) so if you'd prefer the hassle free option with monitoring and support then go for it. I'm very happy with the quality of the system overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

garion wrote: »
    Shame they don't include the fob. My wife and I have one and find it very useful. App is good too but easier using the fob when you get home or are going out. Might be worth asking why? And if you could buy your own and add it to the system.

I was able to persuade them to throw in the fob FOC.

In fairness to HomeSecure, I did look for allot of information & they answered everything I threw at them. They've been good so far.

I haven't actually managed up get geofencing working. Need to contact support about it. I think it's because on install of the app I set it to only use location services when app is open rather than all the time. Reinstalling the app doesn't give me the option to change this though so need to investigate further.

You can turn on location on an Android phone by going to: settings; apps & notifications; Ajax app; location... And set to allow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

We'll that's a bit disingenuous... While the equipment cost would be just over €500, it also covers installation, SIM and credit, monitoring and battery changes over three years. While I originally wasn't looking for a monitored system, this offer makes it more appealing and gives me the opportunity to reassess in three years.

Sorry, disengenuous ? I merely asked a question as to the size of the system (you mentioned 2 pirs but didn't stipulate the number of door or window contacts ). For a 2 pir system that's expensive , even if you add another few door or window sensors.

What I did was merely call out the true cost of your system, nothing disengenuous about that .

Monitoring is not the be all and end all, and you can as others mentioned get a similar system, self monitored for much less that that, and it would be odd not to call that out, and unfair not to let others know.

That being said, there are lots of reasons why people do go for a monitored system, and do go for a paid professional install, all very valid, but it's quite reasonable to highlight the cost and to discuss the benefits, certainly not disengenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bluefoam, good one on getting those questions answered. In fairness to HomeSecure, they seem to handle this in a very fair manner, well done to them.

Other companies in Ireland aren't so fair. A company I won't name, but very well known, leave your system completely useless if you stop paying, even if out of contract, even if you have already spent thousands with them, in fact you don't even own the system and they can take it back if you stop paying!

That is why I'm generally very suspicious of such companies. But I'm very happy to hear that there is a new company to the market with more sensible policies, because there is definitely a market for such services.

Has anyone added the Street Siren to their system? Most alarm companies seem to provide dummy boxes on the front of the house these days, with a flashing LED and no siren...

My house is wired for an alarm, so should I wire the Ajax Siren on the upper face of the house? I'd prefer to do that than screw in a dummy box on the face of a new house.

It is a bit pricey though...

Has anyone added the Street Siren to their system? Most alarm companies seem to provide dummy boxes on the front of the house these days, with a flashing LED and no siren...

My house is wired for an alarm, so should I wire the Ajax Siren on the upper face of the house? I'd prefer to do that than screw in a dummy box on the face of a new house.

It is a bit pricey though...

Haven't purchased one yet but it's on the list. From my understanding it's a fully functioning wireless external bell box - hence the price.

Do you think it's just a dummy box?

Haven't purchased one yet but it's on the list. From my understanding it's a fully functioning wireless external bell box - hence the price.

Do you think it's just a dummy box?

No. HomeSecure provide a dummy box. The Ajax StreetSiren is a full on sounder... It can operate on batteries or wired via a 12 volt supply. Most modern houses have a cable behind the brick to power an alarm box... I just don't know if this would be suitable. I might ask the question over in the home security forum.

No. HomeSecure provide a dummy box. The Ajax StreetSiren is a full on sounder... It can operate on batteries or wired via a 12 volt supply. Most modern houses have a cable behind the brick to power an alarm box... I just don't know if this would be suitable. I might ask the question over in the home security forum.

Ah, I see. I presume their dummy box has their branding on it too. I think the StreetSiren is E120 via that Spanish website so it's not TOO expensive. I think having an external siren that actually works would be preferable to a dummy box.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. I presume their dummy box has their branding on it too. I think the StreetSiren is E120 via that Spanish website so it's not TOO expensive. I think having an external siren that actually works would be preferable to a dummy box.

Yes you're right on all counts.

504074.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

How are you folks who bought Ajax finding it?
    I'm thinking of ordering it myself but haven't decided on what sort of sensors to go.
    Would probably go for Hub 2 for future proofing but not of the benefit of PIRs, if they other sensors are working I shouldn't need one?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mcgovern wrote: »
    Would probably go for Hub 2 for future proofing but not of the benefit of PIRs, if they other sensors are working I shouldn't need one?

PIRs are usually used as a backup to the main sensors. For instance, lets say you are away and you get a notification that one of your shock sensors has been triggered, did that go off because of a burglary or because the wind on the window?

If both a shock sensor and then an internal PIR go off, then is helps confirm there is a real burglary.

The Gardai require two sensors too trigger before they will respond to an alarm.

Arguably some internal cameras could replace a PIR as an even better secondary sensor.

However there are other benefits. Are you certain that you are really covered by the window/door shock sensors? As an example, my living room has 4 floor to ceiling windows. My old alarm system installed 10 years ago had just one shock sensor between the two middle windors which are a door. Which in fairness is the msot likely way someone would break in. However if someone decided to try and cut through one of the two other windows, it wouldn't have triggered the shock sensor in the middle.

However not a big deal as I also had a PIR in the same room. Just some examples of how they are used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How big are the door plus? if you put onto the windows?

Also can this integrate with existing system?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The ajax system looks very impressive have to say. I'm looking to fit a new smart system and this fits the bill.
    Does the "StreetSiren" have a led that flashes occasionally ? Looking at https://ajax.systems/products/streetsiren/ it indicates that the led goes off when the siren sounds but doesn't mention any time else such as on activation?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    The ajax system looks very impressive have to say. I'm looking to fit a new smart system and this fits the bill.
    Does the "StreetSiren" have a led that flashes occasionally ? Looking at https://ajax.systems/products/streetsiren/ it indicates that the led goes off when the siren sounds but doesn't mention any time else such as on activation?

Never mind, got it - https://support.ajax.systems/en/manuals/streetsiren/
    If activated, the siren LED blinks once every 2 seconds when the security system is armed

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Ok, I was just about to pull the trigger on Ring system as on discount and then went back to look at this.....

I seen the following: https://ajax.systems/products/ocbridgeplus/

Any idea if this will integrate with a HKC alarm system?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Yes you're right on all counts.
    Hi folks, did you proceed with HomeSecure - thinking of going with them. Do they have there own app or is it through the ajax app? Also do you know can I add my HKC camera through the Homesecure App like you can with the Ajax app?

caddy16 wrote: »
    Hi folks, did you proceed with HomeSecure - thinking of going with them. Do they have there own app or is it through the ajax app? Also do you know can I add my HKC camera through the Homesecure App like you can with the Ajax app?

I'm signed up with them, but due to the virus, my home purchase didn't happen. Home Secure have been very good to deal with & have let me keep my deal in case things go through after the lockdown.

Their app is a version of the Ajax app, but it is branded to them and they are set up as administrator and you are a user....

They have the ability to add your camera... But you need to make them aware of it. Also, if you want to add more devices to the system in the future, you generally have to purchase from them, as they need to add them to your system

• Advertisement

I'm signed up with them, but due to the virus, my home purchase didn't happen. Home Secure have been very good to deal with & have let me keep my deal in case things go through after the lockdown.

Their app is a version of the Ajax app, but it is branded to them and they are set up as administrator and you are a user....

They have the ability to add your camera... But you need to make them aware of it. Also, if you want to add more devices to the system in the future, you generally have to purchase from them, as they need to add them to your system
    Thanks for the quick reply. Am I correct in saying that if you add devices they add it to your monthly cost rather than pay upfront?

caddy16 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply. Am I correct in saying that if you add devices they add it to your monthly cost rather than pay upfront?

TBH, I think either is possible... But believe their preferred method is to charge monthly

TBH, I think either is possible... But believe their preferred method is to charge monthly

Thanks, think I'll go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi,

Did anyone here buy ajax equipment and install themselves?

If so, where are people buying it from? I have seen it on megateh.eu and just wondered has anyone used the website and is it legitimate?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Wynner05

rob w wrote: »
    Hi,

Did anyone here buy ajax equipment and install themselves?

If so, where are people buying it from? I have seen it on megateh.eu and just wondered has anyone used the website and is it legitimate?

Thanks

I order my Ajax alarm from megateh.eu all legit, came from Estonia and quite quick with free delivery as the order was over a certain amount.
    The deals on Ajax change almost every day so you can get some good discounts if you keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Wynner05 wrote: »
    I order my Ajax alarm from megateh.eu all legit, came from Estonia and quite quick with free delivery as the order was over a certain amount.
    The deals on Ajax change almost every day so you can get some good discounts if you keep an eye on it.

Great, thanks for that! How do you find the system in general, have used yale smart alarm previously but looking to change to ajax now!

Great, thanks for that! How do you find the system in general, have used yale smart alarm previously but looking to change to ajax now!

Sell me the Yale second hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Wynner05

System has been great so far, I’ve a mix of motion detectors, door protect plus and normal door protect.
    I’ve a keypad, indoor siren and outdoor siren.
    Everything has worked perfect, outdoor siren looks a bit lost outside the house but looks great when it goes off as it has large red flashing leds.
    Smart functionality (google, Alexa, IFTTT, etc..) is on the way of the official Ajax Twitter is to be believed.
    I’ll probably be picking up more bits for it over time.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sell me the Yale second hand :D

There's a reason he is moving on..perhaps for the same reasons I am planning on doing the same myself once funds permit, the Yale "smart" systems are junk IMHO.
    Very hard to pair sensors and once the battery dies in the sensors are virtually impossible to re-pair it in my experience, couple that with little or no warning that the battery is gone or going, worked on a door sensor but none of the PIR's. Then there is the frequent times the control unit goes offline even when the broadband isn't. Had enough of it, dont trust my house security to it when away at all.

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    There's a reason he is moving on..perhaps for the same reasons I am planning on doing the same myself once funds permit, the Yale "smart" systems are junk IMHO.
    Very hard to pair sensors and once the battery dies in the sensors are virtually impossible to re-pair it in my experience, couple that with little or no warning that the battery is gone or going, worked on a door sensor but none of the PIR's. Then there is the frequent times the control unit goes offline even when the broadband isn't. Had enough of it, dont trust my house security to it when away at all.

Yikes! The sucks, which system do you have? I've the slightly older Yale Smart Alarm system and I've not experienced any of those issues. It has been pretty rock solid for me.

Having said that the Ajax system does look very cool, looks to tick all the boxes, lots of extra features and sensors that the Yale doesn't have. But then it is much more expensive.

I'll love to get and play around with the Ajax, but I can't really justify it, I need to milk a few more years of value out of my investment in the Yale.

Advertisement