Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex 01/09/2020 - predictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

That AP is prob a 40 grand watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

893bet wrote: »
    That AP is prob a 40 grand watch.

no £20k it was a std 37.5mm royal oak.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Royal Oaks... I love them, whatever variant, Offshores included.

Royal Oaks... I love them, whatever variant, Offshores included.

well he wanted the AP it was his 40th present to himself and then he got the rolexes he also wanted within a few months, not bad going really

he had waited a year for the AP aswell, it wasnt as if he walked in and purchased it

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cyrus wrote: »
    took them longer than normal

£12.5k

not bad :p

Cheapskates at WF :p

Other dealers are offering around the £14k mark so it seems. For worn but complete set

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Cheapskates at WF :p

Other dealers are offering around the £14k mark so it seems. For worn but complete set

where did you hear that Unkel?

On a certain other forum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cyrus wrote: »
    well he wanted the AP it was his 40th present to himself and then he got the rolexes he also wanted within a few months, not bad going really

he had waited a year for the AP aswell, it wasnt as if he walked in and purchased it

I’m surprised. I’d have thought a standard AP in Harrod’s would get you as much as a Swatch would in Weir’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I was looking for a secondhand Rolex submariner two tone black. Any recommendations on where to buy as keenly priced as possible. I heard about chrono 24. I'd be willing to travel. I suppose there is a limited availability in Ireland. I suppose papers are essential. Apart from this how do you verify you're buying the genuine article? I know little about watches. Any tips greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Know I am late here but a couple of my observations on this release.

1. I sold a hulk just before the new releases, and they are still the same price as before on the private sale market and internet forums. Dealers are not offering more but they have raised the sales prices. You would want rocks in your head to buy a hulk for 20k.

2. The new OP with coloured dials is interesting, but I get a whif of a "gotta catch em all" thing to appeal to collectors of a complete set of the new colours. Also its a transparent attempt by rolex to push the hype bubble onto the OP.

3. New Cermit is boring, the hulk was more interesting.

4. New sub is nice enough, shame you cant buy one.

5. Skydweller on rubber is a funny choice, its a dressy watch.

6. Blue WG Sub is a stunner, thats where I would go if I wanted to drop retail on a PM Rolex.

7. Rolex is getting tedious at this stage and this hype train is out of control. I am getting off personally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    Rolex is getting tedious at this stage and this hype train is out of control. I am getting off personally.
    It's a bit mad at the moment alright. Driven by fans/buyers, stoked by Rolex supply. They are and pretty much always have been* absolute masters of responding to trends both in watch design and tech and the market. They always keep a respectful distance from it and let their fanbase do their marketing for them which is another completely genius move.

*even quartz didn't throw them off by much. The digital did, but that(and the strong Swiss franc in the 70's) threw the entire Swiss industry off. Ever see their in house design for a Rolex digital? The horror, the horror. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

1. I sold a hulk just before the new releases, and they are still the same price as before on the private sale market and internet forums. Dealers are not offering more but they have raised the sales prices.

Howdie Fitz :D

I think you're wrong there. Several reports of private owners being offered GBP14k for a brand new hulk by traders. Not by watchfinders obviously because they offer way below par.

Agreed that anyone buying one for GBP20k needs their head examined. Or anyone buying for GBP15-16k for that matter, but the latter seems to be where you need to go if you want one now

Howdie Fitz :D

I think you're wrong there. Several reports of private owners being offered GBP14k for a brand new hulk by traders. Not by watchfinders obviously because they offer way below par.

Agreed that anyone buying one for GBP20k needs their head examined. Or anyone buying for GBP15-16k for that matter, but the latter seems to be where you need to go if you want one now

sold a hulk to watchfinder 4 years old worn for 13500gbp a month ago, they are not offering much more on "unworn" 2020 versions now. The professional buyers are buying low and selling high. Watchfinder were sitting on 50 hulks when I went to sell mine and were hungry to more to feed the ravenous dogs.

Hulk is a nice watch, very nice indeed. But Rolex only think its worth 9k euro. It just cant complete in the 20k+ bracket, its a mass produced, machine finished watch in stainless. For 20k you could have a precious patek calatrava and a black bay 58 blue and some change left over.

sold a hulk to watchfinder 4 years old worn for 13500gbp a month ago

Well in fairness, you traded up, so it's not really possible to put a value like that on your trade in without taking into account what you traded it for and how much was your cost to change. Just like with cars :p

Well in fairness, you traded up, so it's not really possible to put a value like that on your trade in without taking into account what you traded it for and how much was your cost to change. Just like with cars :p

But I think we can both agree that the sale prices on these is nowhere near the asking prices, sale prices have not significant increased the 50% the asking prices have, thats where is weirdness is. Your hulk is only worth 23k while you own it, if you try and sell it immediatly devalues 9k for some reason from traders. The looney prices are only going to last a few months, until the new ones come along and take the attention away.

And whatever the watch, personally I'd rather buy from a private seller at about the value that watchfinders would offer them, not the 5k extra that traders have them priced for or the 3k extra they actually sell it for :p

And whatever the watch, personally I'd rather buy from a private seller at about the value that watchfinders would offer them, not the 5k extra that traders have them priced for or the 3k extra they actually sell it for :p

I prefer to buy at that price also (as well all want the best deal) but that really is the wrong way of thinking and bad for the private market overall.

The private price should not equal the trade price.

It should be

8k trade value
    9k private value
    10k dealer value

Or something like that. By pushing sellers to sell at WF prices....what happens.....well he will sell to WF as why deal with a stranger when I can hassle free deal with WF and maybe get a favourable trade.

Ah no I fully agree. From a private buyer's point of view, I'd love buying at trade value, but that's more wishful thinking than anything. And WF offers are barely even trade prices, they are for people who either want to trade in their watch or people desperate to get the cash, couldn't be bothered with the hassle of selling privately or just ignorant enough not to know any other channels to sell their watch

Again exact same as with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Forgive my ignorance but how do you source a genuine private seller and how do you guard against buying a counterfeit apart from asking for papers which might also be counterfeit.

That's the thing that worries us all. The only advice I can give there is either "buy the seller" - buy from someone you know you can trust - or have your watch professionally verified before you buy

• Advertisement

That's the thing that worries us all. The only advice I can give there is either "buy the seller" - buy from someone you know you can trust - or have your watch professionally verified before you buy

Box and papers mean nothing, I can order a set of bogus papers for a watch online for 50 euro any serial number I want. Genuine boxes for Rolex are about 60 euro on ebay. Box and papers do absolutely nothing to verify a watch and peoples obsession with it is a amateur concern. As unkle says otherwise....

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

I follow the Facebook page of a grey market watch dealer based in Belfast. The latest update included the lines:

Invest in a Rolex..... You can’t go wrong.

Dutch Tulips come to mind!!

For the craic, any linky to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I follow the Facebook page of a grey market watch dealer based in Belfast. The latest update included the lines:

Invest in a Rolex..... You can’t go wrong.

Dutch Tulips come to mind!!

It's going mad, hulk prices since the 1st are bloody mental.
    100% Mortgages and sure aren't property prices only going up and ya can buy a 4 bed and rent out one of the rooms...

That worked out great back in the noughties didn't it ;)

I do hope they get a soft landing, or at least that people buy what they want, and will enjoy regardless of how the investment fares.

One of the Hulks in the link is priced at £17495.

Madness, absolute madness to pay that for a Hulk

It’ll all end in tears for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ignoring all this Hulk madness.

Keane's in Cork offered me one of the new OP41's in black (was on the list for OP39 in white with them).
    think I should go for it? had heart sit on white but don't fancy now paying over the odds for it on chrono24 (seems like its going for +1,500€) there :(

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

Keane's in Cork offered me one of the new OP41's in black (was on the list for OP39 in white with them).
    think I should go for it? had heart sit on white but don't fancy now paying over the odds for it on chrono24 (seems like its going for +1,500€) there :(

If you want the watch buy it, if you are after a flip I dont think there is enough meat on it for a "catch and release". If you are flipping it dont photo with any bit of the serial visable cause Rolex will spot it and give out to Keans and blacklist you.

The new OP were designed exactly to do this, to sell into people waiting for another watch with talk of appreciation potential.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

Don’t settle on the black41 if the white39 is what you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

If you want the watch buy it, if you are after a flip I dont think there is enough meat on it for a "catch and release". If you are flipping it dont photo with any bit of the serial visable cause Rolex will spot it and give out to Keans and blacklist you.

The new OP were designed exactly to do this, to sell into people waiting for another watch with talk of appreciation potential.
    Was never planning on flipping, that's the thing, or atleast not till a good few years later.
    I actually liked the simple dial of the OP, if anything put off now by the new strange colours in them and the double-batons.
    The only other Rolex I was eying up was the Explorer I, basically a three hander in Stainless Steel.

Already have an Omega Seamaster so don't really have an interest in the Rolex Submariner/Seadewller etc, well if one landed on my feet I'd hardly see no but we all know thats not going to happen by accident.

Advertisement