Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Oh lord she was awful

Fair play to the sign language interpreter in the background keeping up with that madness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Heard about it but haven't seen it, is it online? How did she even get in, she has no affiliation to any paper and quoted a non-existent one when she gave her name apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That one was cutting a wrestling promo, not asking a question.

How on earth did she get in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zzippy wrote: »
    Heard about it but haven't seen it, is it online? How did she even get in, she has no affiliation to any paper and quoted a non-existent one when she gave her name apparently...

Rte player I think has it starts about 40 minutes in

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KLywqME8FY

Johnson saying they’re going to end the lockdown from Monday when they haven’t seen a reduction in cases yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Johnson saying they’re going to end the lockdown from Monday when they haven’t seen a reduction in cases yet?

We'll see what exactly they lift, I've seen sunbathing and picnicing mentioned and to be honest living beside a big park I can tell you compliance with them has been absolutely abysmal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bit concerned by Holohan saying infection rates in the community are still too high. I've no doubt he's right, but how do we get out if this hole?

Had a look at the morning papers yet?

It's borderline negligent. They are celebrating the end of the lockdown on Monday and a lot of people are going to misinterpret it as a return to normal.

It saves them from reporting on the record dead and keeps accountability away from the government but it just strikes me as incredibly irresponsible. I really hope they are basing decisions on sound, good quality advice but I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at the rest of Europe starting to open up and don't want more bad headlines.

You'd have to feel very sympathetic to the voters in England who didn't vote for this Government and didn't vote for Brexit and now have to watch this horror show with a further crash to happen in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Clegg wrote: »
    Bit concerned by Holohan saying infection rates in the community are still too high. I've no doubt he's right, but how do we get out if this hole?

A stricter lockdown.

Like, we never really had a lockdown, not in the sense of Spain, France or Italy. There was essentially zero enforcement and thus even the pretty relaxed rules were widely flouted. Transmission was always going to continue.

Maybe that's not a bad thing either, who knows. But either way, there's no political will to tighten restrictions and the public won't tolerate even the current ones for much longer.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's a way they can hide the brexit economic hit amidst the covid depression

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »

Infection rates are dropping and he's erring on the side of caution for good reason. If you take the average at 3 day intervals for new cases, the average for the 3 days up to and including yesterday was 247. The previous 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) was 298. Previous to that was 321.

We're seeing a consistent decline in new cases. It's higher than we want but any cases is higher than we want. Things are moving steadily in the right direction.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It's a way they can hide the brexit economic hit amidst the covid depression

They can't. Brexit is only going to be a no-deal now, there will be no trade agreement and a no deal Brexit will utterly crush them. It would be another massive, massive hit to their economy. There would be no divorcing the scale of damage the UK and Ireland would suffer in comparison to other EU states and the splash damage to Ireland could well scupper any good will they have on the international stage.

Screenshot-4.jpg

only in an alternate universe should you see these two front page headlines side by side !!!!

They can't. Brexit is only going to be a no-deal now, there will be no trade agreement and a no deal Brexit will utterly crush them. It would be another massive, massive hit to their economy. There would be no divorcing the scale of damage the UK and Ireland would suffer in comparison to other EU states and the splash damage to Ireland could well scupper any good will they have on the international stage.

its what they are going to try to do....
    when the dust settles on all this and UK has a longer recession than the rest of europe they will point to covid as the main reason, not the brexit clusterfcuk.

im not saying it will work, but its the "out" that they will cling to.

and we'll get fcuked in the cross fire

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Had a look at the morning papers yet?

It's borderline negligent. They are celebrating the end of the lockdown on Monday and a lot of people are going to misinterpret it as a return to normal.

It saves them from reporting on the record dead and keeps accountability away from the government but it just strikes me as incredibly irresponsible. I really hope they are basing decisions on sound, good quality advice but I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at the rest of Europe starting to open up and don't want more bad headlines.

You'd have to feel very sympathetic to the voters in England who didn't vote for this Government and didn't vote for Brexit and now have to watch this horror show with a further crash to happen in a few months.
    I'm angered by the fact that the ****ers are going to drag us down with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Back to gardening for a sec...

I'm in the process of "cleaning" my back garden.
    New build, moved in last summer.
    "garden" is just over 80 square metres, and had never received any attention before now other than the builders jcb.

Made the decision to go at it with a pick, shovel and rake.
    As something to focus on during quarantine, and a great way to exercise.

I'm about 60% of the way there. Very happy with the clean, level result so far, and the soil quality is v good as a consequence of me raking and re-raking to filter out the ****e.
    I've estimated that it will be 36 hours of labour in total. (doing it in 3 hour stints to try to minimise the chance of back injuries!)

So here's my question...
    I'm doing all of this so that I can get roll out grass to lay on top. (I'll roll it out myself)

I know that you need to water the bejaysus out of it once it's laid for a few days, but what about beforehand?
    Is a roller essential before or after or both? Should the soil be scuffed up before laying or flattened?

Anyone done similar? I've only got one quote so far which was about €6 per square metre...that about right?

If you have two hours to kill, watch this back.

The sport of hurling at its peak.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Buer wrote: »
    Infection rates are dropping and he's erring on the side of caution for good reason. If you take the average at 3 day intervals for new cases, the average for the 3 days up to and including yesterday was 247. The previous 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) was 298. Previous to that was 321.

We're seeing a consistent decline in new cases. It's higher than we want but any cases is higher than we want. Things are moving steadily in the right direction.

It was interesting last night that they said the majority of the new cases are amongst younger people

I wonder do they think it wont hit them? Or is there a socio economic element to it? E.g. those who cant work from home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

1/3 of people arriving into Ireland at Dublin airport aren't telling the authorities where they will be staying...
    It's then impossible to check on whether or not they are self-isolating

kuang1 wrote: »

"garden" is just over 80 square metres, and had never received any attention before now other than the builders jcb.

I'm about 60% of the way there. Very happy with the clean, level result so far, and the soil quality is v good as a consequence of me raking and re-raking to filter out the ****e.
    I've estimated that it will be 36 hours of labour in total. (doing it in 3 hour stints to try to minimise the chance of back injuries!)

So here's my question...
    I'm doing all of this so that I can get roll out grass to lay on top. (I'll roll it out myself)

I know that you need to water the bejaysus out of it once it's laid for a few days, but what about beforehand?
    Is a roller essential before or after or both? Should the soil be scuffed up before laying or flattened?

Anyone done similar? I've only got one quote so far which was about €6 per square metre...that about right?

If it was me I'd get a few bags of topsoil and I'd seed the lawn for a few weeks instead of putting down the rolls of grass. You need to re-seed and water regularly but in my experience you get a better lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

1/3 of people arriving into Ireland at Dublin airport aren't telling the authorities where they will be staying...

I'm not surprised to be honest, the form isn't underpinned by any legislation and people aren't required to fill it out.

We've had a fairly soft approach to our borders in general.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is there any checking of whether people are self-isolating being done anyway? It is not exactly an easy thing to track one way or another anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not surprised to be honest, the form isn't underpinned by any legislation and people aren't required to fill it out.

We've had a fairly soft approach to our borders in general.

Immigration is not required to let them in either, so I don't think it would need to be underpinned by any specific legislation.

Given we aren't going to be eradicating it a la New Zealand, I'm not sure the minimal number of travellers coming into the state are making much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Stheno wrote: »
    It was interesting last night that they said the majority of the new cases are amongst younger people

I wonder do they think it wont hit them? Or is there a socio economic element to it? E.g. those who cant work from home?

Was out walking the dog last night. On my way back I was coming round a corner and 3 lads about my age came towards me walking 3 abreast, made no effort to make any space for me and the dog on the path. Just before that I had met a group of about 5 little girls under 10 riding their bikes on the road. There's a definite air of complacency in the general public. People don't like being inconvenienced for a prolonged period of time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

kuang1 wrote: »

So here's my question...

i laid mine on scuffed, flat soil. Not rolled flat, but flat enough that all of the rolled turf was in contact with ground that wasn't going to sink much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

If it was me I'd get a few bags of topsoil and I'd seed the lawn for a few weeks instead of putting down the rolls of grass. You need to re-seed and water regularly but in my experience you get a better lawn.

I thought about that first, but when I priced it up, the roll out option was less than half the cost, and a quicker route to the finish line to boot.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you seed it now you won't have a usable lawn for months, versus about 3/4 weeks with the rolls.

My own lawn is mostly seeded, I just have a few bits of rolled turf where I used up some leftovers from the neighbour to cover some parts that I was really struggling to get to grow.

I've reseeded parts about 3 times and it's still not as thick as I want.

• Advertisement

A decent drop in the number of new cases today, hopefully that continues.

Advertisement