Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ross Byrne never really takes a game by the neck. Other than the odd Crossfield kick he rarely creates something incredible. His goal kicking and touch kicking are only alright.

Even still he has a superb record of winning games. Absolutely superb.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ross Byrne never really takes a game by the neck. Other than the odd Crossfield kick he rarely creates something incredible. His goal kicking and touch kicking are only alright.

Even still he has a superb record of winning games. Absolutely superb.

Agreed, my main gripe at half time was the way he didn't grab the game by the scruff....

He's better than he played today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

His touch kicking is generally top class, I would have said. He never really dominates a game or impacts in the way that Sexton did when he entered though. But he never really has a bad showing either. He makes good decisions and passes well. He's also a very strong defender and a very composed player generally. I'm still happy enough with him as the heir apparent although it will be interesting to see how his brother fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

sydthebeat wrote: »

He Walked into the huddle at the end...

But still Dont expect him for next weekend

Me neither; such a shame for the big man.

He missed a Pro 14 final a couple of years ago when his father passed away the night before and it would be really unfortunate for him to miss another.

From a team perspective, we could really do with him next Saturday as he's one of our most consistently reliable 80 minute players who rarely if ever has a poor game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Buer wrote: »
    His touch kicking is generally top class, I would have said. He never really dominates a game or impacts in the way that Sexton did when he entered though. But he never really has a bad showing either. He makes good decisions and passes well. He's also a very strong defender and a very composed player generally. I'm still happy enough with him as the heir apparent although it will be interesting to see how his brother fares.

You have to remember he is only 24, still very young player. He is also surrounded by a team of internationals so he probably does sit back a little bit.

I would wait and see, he is still learning and no better man to teach him than Sexton and Contepomi.

He is a quality player, probably a little further ahead if you done a comparison to Sexton 24 and Byrne 24.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You have to remember he is only 24, still very young player. He is also surrounded by a team of internationals so he probably does sit back a little bit.

I would wait and see, he is still learning and no better man to teach him than Sexton and Contepomi.

He is a quality player, probably a little further ahead if you done a comparison to Sexton 24 and Byrne 24.....

Sexton was 23 when he was the starting 10 in the Heineken Cup winning team in 2009, and was fighting with ROG for the starting shirt for Ireland that season. The following season of 2010/2011 he was talked about as the best outhalf in Europe, and don't forget it was 2011 when he lead the comeback against Northampton....

So in summary, Sexton was miles ahead of Byrne at 24.

Sexton was 23 when he was the starting 10 in the Heineken Cup winning team in 2009, and was fighting with ROG for the starting shirt for Ireland that season. The following season of 2010/2011 he was talked about as the best outhalf in Europe, and don't forget it was 2011 when he lead the comeback against Northampton....

Sexton (1985) Byrne (1995)

Sexton is 10 years and a few months older so the season would be 2008/2009 when sexton was 24

He was 24 in July 2009, Byrne was 24 in April this year

Your comparing the 2009/2010 season....

So is Sexton 2008/2009 miles better than Byrne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Bit harsh there, sexton only started in 09 cos the first choice (felipe) was injured.

If sexton was injured, Byrne would have started last week.

Sextons growth curve from 24 to 26 or so was huge tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That was very pleasing.

What a difference VdF makes.

Reckon you should change your username to vantheman ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

How are people getting to the final? Flights are a disaster. Trying to get the mother over for it. Thankfully its just another drive down the road for me :D

ktulu123 wrote: »
    How are people getting to the final? Flights are a disaster. Trying to get the mother over for it. Thankfully its just another drive down the road for me :D

I would guess plenty of bus and boat will be set up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leo quoted on RTE website saying he doesn't believe Toner will miss RWC.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Leo quoted on RTE website saying he doesn't believe Toner will miss RWC.

Not been negative but I wouldn't expet him to say anything less

depending on what happened it will still be swelled up so it might take a few days before they know the extend.....

Fingers crossed in the meantime.....it would be a huge loss to Ireland but I would relaly feel for Toner if he misses the WC

Not been negative but I wouldn't expet him to say anything less

depending on what happened it will still be swelled up so it might take a few days before they know the extend.....

Fingers crossed in the meantime.....it would be a huge loss to Ireland but I would relaly feel for Toner if he misses the WC

I think they would know straight away if it was more serious so think positive.

Think VDF needs to lend Dev his scrum cap. It seems to work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

KH25 wrote: »
    To be fair, you were applying human standards to him. He’s not human.

Completely missed the match because of an exam, but i am enjoying some of the comments in the match thread :-D

You could get the full match on tg4 player, youtube later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm flying into Edinburgh and taking the train to Glasgow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Using Joe Walsh Tours for a day trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭KH25

antietam1 wrote: »
    KH25 wrote: »
    To be fair, you were applying human standards to him. He’s not human.

Completely missed the match because of an exam, but i am enjoying some of the comments in the match thread :-D

You could get the full match on tg4 player, youtube later.

Cheers for that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

crisco10 wrote: »
    Bit harsh there, sexton only started in 09 cos the first choice (felipe) was injured.

If sexton was injured, Byrne would have started last week.

Sextons growth curve from 24 to 26 or so was huge tho

It wasn’t that clear cut. There was an argument for sexton to start that semi anyway - made by myself amongst others here - though yeah it was a long shot. He was going to be first choice the following year either way though and he was key to Leinster winning the league the year before.

Byrne is good but people really under-rate how good sexton was

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It wasn’t that clear cut. There was an argument for sexton to start that semi anyway - made by myself amongst others here - though yeah it was a long shot. He was going to be first choice the following year either way though and he was key to Leinster winning the league the year before.

Byrne is good but people really under-rate how good sexton was

It seems a lot of people “seen something in sexton” during 2009.

People love to knock Byrne but I prefer to think he has done exceptional well for his age. He has played a huge amount of minutes for Leinster this season, guided the team through the end of group stages and a qtr final in Heineken.

Carberry didn’t get a look in at 10 last year with Byrne till the irfu pulled rank and he started at end of season

I don’t think it needs to be a specific sexton v Byrne but I think people need to give Byrne a bit of a break....he has just turned 24, still very very young and at this stage he has huge experience

• Advertisement

24 isn't very young. He has not done "exceptionally" well by any stretch of the imagination. He is a good to very good fly half.

I don't think anyone is particularly ragging on Byrne are they? The chances of replacing Sexton with someone as good were infinitesimally low.

Nobody's saying Byrne is a bad player. They're saying he hasn't exactly grabbed big games by the scruff of the neck and shown that extra spark. Which is true, he doesn't take a game and change it.

But saying he was better than Sexton at that age is a ludicrous claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Nobody's saying Byrne is a bad player. They're saying he hasn't exactly grabbed big games by the scruff of the neck and shown that extra spark. Which is true, he doesn't take a game and change it.

I think the first person who said he doesn't grab games was me. And it was encased in a much bigger compliment, which is that he wins plenty.

It is probably not clear what I meant over a text forum, but what I was actually saying is "even though I can't put my finger on what Ross Byrne is doing well, he is definitely doing something very well".

Based on the 2009 season and Sexton was getting dropped out of match day squad regularly as they preferred Isa/Contepomi.

Sexton's view: he admits now, “impatient” and “stroppy” in his early twenties. “I was always the eighth‑choice back for Leinster and I always needed one injury to get in,” he said.

After the 2009 game he went up the ranking very quickly....if you stuck both players side by side at 24. Forget all Sexton has done since. Really is it a ludicrous claim?

PS. I said slightly......maybe I should have same similar. I doubt much between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Byrne is a very good 10, imo. Will he be test quality? I don't know, but he is doing a good job and I think can go further.
    I don't see the game breaking qualities of Carty or Carbury. But, he does his job and his tackling is very good. I think he could be a similar player to ROG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody here enter the Rugby Roulette and got their ticket allocation yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Using Joe Walsh Tours for a day trip!

€500 - rather you than me.

Took a gamble on flights in Feb and got a flight into Edinburgh on Saturday morning and home on Saturday night from Glasgow for €45, Megabus between Edinburgh airport and Glasgow is £10

Took a gamble on flights in Feb and got a flight into Edinburgh on Saturday morning and home on Saturday night from Glasgow for €45, Megabus between Edinburgh airport and Glasgow is £10

Have had three out of the last five weekends as sporting weekends away so wanted in and out on the same day and it was the cheapest choice for a day trip for this weekend that was available on Saturday evening when I needed to book. Don't really mind the cost as I can do without another full weekend away :)

Based on the 2009 season and Sexton was getting dropped out of match day squad regularly as they preferred Isa/Contepomi.

Sexton was in more matchday squads in 08/09 then he was in 09/10. He was absolutely not "regularly" getting dropped out of matchday squads.

He started the season as the first choice 10 and lost it after the head-to-head games against Castres. He played a game or two for Mary's in January but during and after the 6N was clearly the back-up 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Agreed. I would have been interested if it was a reasonable price, but that is madness in my opinion

• Advertisement

Agreed. I would have been interested if it was a reasonable price, but that is madness in my opinion

I have the money so am happy to pay it. Plus I have a sick family member that I can't afford to spend a night out of the country from so it worked for me, without me having to fret over the finer points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I have the money so am happy to pay it. Plus I have a sick family member that I can't afford to spend a night out of the country from so it worked for me, without me having to fret over the finer points.

Go the whole Hogg and treat yourself to the hospatility package...

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/scottishrugby/EDP/Event/Index/2750

degsie wrote: »
    Go the whole Hogg and treat yourself to the hospatility package...

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/scottishrugby/EDP/Event/Index/2750

Why would I do that?

Good pun though.

Looks like there should be a good crowd there anyway, most of the stadium sold out. It's a terrible look for these games to have big patches of empty seats.

Dev unsurprisingly ruled out on the final. Further assessment on the knee injury this week.

Dev unsurprisingly ruled out on the final. Further assessment on the knee injury this week.

Fardy and Ryan
    Ruddock to cover 2nd row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Is Molony injured at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think Molony is injured. He was with the squad in Newcastle and he was warming up on Saturday.

My team for the final:

1. Healy.
    2. Cronin.
    3. Furlong.
    4. Fardy.
    5. Ryan.
    6. Ruddock.
    7. VdF.
    8. Conan.
    9. McGrath.
    10. Sexton.
    11. Lowe.
    12. Henshaw.
    13. Ringrose.
    14. Larmour.
    15. Kearney.
    16. Byrne.
    17. Tracy.
    18. Porter.
    19. Molony.
    20. O'Brien.
    21. McCarthy.
    22. Byrne.
    23. O'Loughlin.

troyzer wrote: »
    I don't think Molony is injured. He was with the squad in Newcastle and he was warming up on Saturday.

My team for the final:

1. Healy.
    2. Cronin.
    3. Furlong.
    4. Fardy.
    5. Ryan.
    6. Ruddock.
    7. VdF.
    8. Conan.
    9. McGrath.
    10. Sexton.
    11. Lowe.
    12. Henshaw.
    13. Ringrose.
    14. Larmour.
    15. Kearney.
    16. Byrne.
    17. Tracy.
    18. Porter.
    19. Molony.
    20. O'Brien.
    21. McCarthy.
    22. Byrne.
    23. O'Loughlin.

Can't argue with that.

Only variation might be D. Kearney in at 14 with Larmour at 15 if Rob is unavailable.

• Advertisement

Is Molony injured at the moment?

He's been recovering from a back injury, I'm not sure if he's back to full fitness yet but I guess we'll only find out with the next injury update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Molony's out we'll probably see Ruddock starting at 6 but also being there for lock cover. Doris and Deegan as bench options at 19 & 20.

Yeah Molony is fit judging by the full injury update after the part on Dev;

"Josh van der Flier will be available after coming through his return from a groin injury with no issues.

There is no further injury update on Joe Tomane (hamstring), Barry Daly (collarbone), Mick Kearney (shoulder), Dan Leavy (knee) and Adam Byrne (quad)."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Looks like there should be a good crowd there anyway, most of the stadium sold out. It's a terrible look for these games to have big patches of empty seats.

I'm not sure there will be many of us there. There are still alot, if not most of the Leinster allocation available. With the state of the flights and cost to get over, its ruling a lot of people out. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Same day flights went up with FR earlier for €230 odd, you can still fly to Edinburgh and out home from Glasgow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There seems to be some confusion as to whether Rob Kearney is fit or not. He was initially supposed to be fine but I've seen some contradictory reports. Anyway, if he's fit he'll come back in; Dave played well on Saturday but not well enough to keep Rob out IMO.

Healy Cronin Furlong
    Fardy Toner
    Ruddock Conan VDF
    McGrath Sexton
    Lowe Henshaw Ringrose Larmour/DK
    RK/Larmour

Byrne Byrne Porter Deegan SOB McCarthy Byrne O'Loughlin

Good team, if they have the energy for it. Glasgow will be well rested after a week off and then a gentle massage from Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The time of the game makes same day very difficult. You wont be out of the stadium until at least 9, so you have to fly out of Glasgow where there are limited options. None of which are cheap. Supporters have already shelled out for at least 3 knock out games as well as in many cases a pricey trip to the HEC final. The money simply isn't there for many to fund another big game.

From my perspective, with a young kid and a wife who loves the game as much as I do we'd need to do an overnighter for it to be worthwhile. But we've our anniversary next week so cant be leaving the little one for 2 weekends in a row like that. So it's a day trip or nothing. Just checked return flights. €558 pp. That's just crazy money and theres no way we're spending over €1,000 just to get to Glasgow, nevermind the game itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Nigel Owens will referee the Pro 14 final. Tbh I'm not happy with that. Makes some awfully odd decisions these days.

Clegg wrote: »
    Nigel Owens will referee the Pro 14 final. Tbh I'm not happy with that. Makes some awfully odd decisions these days.

If he decides that Glasgow remind him of Treviso then it will be good for us....

If not it could be bad.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Clegg wrote: »

Backed up by Adamson and Lacey, I'd not be too confident in any of the decision making judging by their performances of last weekend.

Kearney is off to France next season apparently

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement