Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Will be repercussions like Omagh in 2006 after this. Though no one suffered any championship bans.

https://twitter.com/poh_bookmakers/status/1233861329158639617?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Conditions the same for both teams.

If that game is in Croker tonight then the dubs win easy.

Tyrone beat Dublin in league in Croke Park last year and Dublin beat Tyrone in Omagh in Super 8s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

ArielAtom wrote: »
    More like Neil McGee in fairness, but still serving his apprenticeship in comparison to the master McGee.

I'll give you that- McGee was/is an absolute master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Naggdefy wrote: »
    That fight in the tunnel was solely the Dublin backroom team of 600. They decided it was the best way to motivate themselves after a poor first half.

Yes, the fight was solely the Dublin back room staff.

Were they fighting against each other? Clown

Gael85 wrote: »
    Most of John cards have been for niggling fouls. Have you example of this thuggery?? Lee Keegan done same to his markers heralded as a hero.

It really depends who you were talking to.
    I, along with many other non Dubs thought that Keegan's behaviour was disgraceful.

He was more or less given free reign to molest Connolly and the lack of protection given to Connolly coupled with the idiotic GAA rule of not punishing the instigator and giving a yellow/red to the player defending himself - more or less forced a very talented player to take a break from the game when he should have been in his prime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

sk9 wrote:
    Yes, the fight was solely the Dublin back room staff.

sk9 wrote:
    Were they fighting against each other? Clown

You're a sharpe one. #lookupsarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

It's Dublin - there will be no disciplinary action taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

That special grass in Croker is scientifically designed to suit Dublin genetics.

The Croker air also has blue oxygen that can only be processed by a player born within the pale.

There is also a special forcefield that slows down the movement of non Dublin players and a provision for "cloaking " Dublin players like a Klingon space ship to enable them to ghost into goal scoring positions without being seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Still the only way to beat Dublin is a heavy blanket defence

It's up to teams then to punch holes in their defense when they have position like Tyrone did tonight

Paulzx wrote:
    That special grass in Croker is scientifically designed to suit Dublin genetics.

Paulzx wrote:
    The Croker air also has blue oxygen that can only be processed by a player born within the pale.

Paulzx wrote:
    There is also a special forcefield that slows down the movement of non Dublin players and a provision for "cloaking " Dublin players like a Klingon space ship to enable them to ghost into goal scoring positions without being seen

Or maybe just a home team usually does better on their home patch like is the case in any sport.

Or maybe just a home team usually does better on their home patch like is the case in any sport.

Incorrect.

Refer to my previous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Probably correct, pitch was a great leveller. Skill levels negated and Mickey enforced his way I getting game on. Ref can be seen shaking his head doing bounce test. Anyway congrats to Tyrone, great win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

munster87 wrote: »

Good aul Tyrone ,some things never change!

Paulzx wrote:
    Incorrect.

Paulzx wrote:
    Refer to my previous post

Few more away games maybe proper statistics can be compiled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I'll give you that- McGee was/is an absolute master.

Of the dark arts.

Few more away games maybe proper statistics can be compiled.

Dublin fans couldn't care less where the games are played. I'd actually relish a Championship on the road just to shut people up.

Dublin have won plenty of leagues over the last few years despite having to go "foreign" for half the games.

Let the GAA bite the bullet and give up the Dublin cash cow for a season #won'thappengreedyba&*ards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

enricoh wrote: »
    Good aul Tyrone ,some things never change!

I've watched that video 10 times and there's no indication of who or how that started yet you are categorically stating it was Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

threeball wrote: »
    I've watched that video 10 times and there's no indication of who or how that started yet you are categorically stating it was Tyrone.

Have to agree. I hate tyrone but video is inconclusive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

threeball wrote: »

I stated categorically it was Tyrone who started it? News to me!
    But they're generally one of the two teams involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

enricoh wrote: »
    I stated categorically it was Tyrone who started it? News to me!
    But they're generally one of the two teams involved.

The implication was in your post. If you thought it was Dublin who kicked it off you wouldn't have phrased it like that.

Unexpected win for Dublin. Mayo favorites for the drop now with Meath.

He's like Donal Vaughan but with better timing - he has perfected the cheap shot to a lad on the ground after a free has been given
    It really depends who you were talking to.
    I, along with many other non Dubs thought that Keegan's behaviour was disgraceful.

Still obsessed as ever with Mayo players pog :rolleyes: even when there not playing :)

Still obsessed as ever with Mayo players pog :rolleyes: even when there not playing :)

Debate the points if you want, otherwise keep schtum!!

I have been critical of a few of them but I’ve always given reasons.

I have also called out the treatment of Aidan o shea on several occasions and how teams seem to have free reign to hit & foul him just because he’s a ‘big man’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So lets face it, the league will not get finished.

So what happens

Personally I think the league will restart in 2021 with the same teams in the same divisions.
    It can't be any other way.
    I only Meath are relegated from Div 1
    No one has yet been promoted or relegated from Div 2
    Only Cork are promoted from Div 3.

The two tier championship will be postponed until 2021.

The championship will start when it's ready to start and will finish when it's ready to finish.

It will be a bit like a century ago, the 2020 All Ireland final played in April 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Just go with the bottom two teams relegated and top two promoted

Fairest way

Fairest way

Can’t if it’s not finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Course they can. It's the GAA. They can make their own rules up as they go along. If they decide the league ends after round 5 & the standings as they are now, will remain as if all 7 rounds had been played, so what? Who is going to fine them or impose sanctions, or tell them they can't.... FIFA, World Rugby, Shane Ross...???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Can't see that happening to be honest. Can't do promotion/relegation without fulfilling fixtures. GAA make mad decisions but can't see this one.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Course they can. It's the GAA. They can make their own rules up as they go along. If they decide the league ends after round 5 & the standings as they are now, will remain as if all 7 rounds had been played, so what? Who is going to fine them or impose sanctions, FIFA, World Rugby, Shane Ross...???

In fairness that waster Horan has done everything he can for his ‘legacy’ so he probably won’t let this stop him getting tmurph2 in. But to relegate and promote teams without it being mathematically confirmed would leave a sour taste in a lot of counties for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

franglan wrote: »
    Can't see that happening to be honest. Can't do promotion/relegation without fulfilling fixtures. GAA make mad decisions but can't see this one.

Don't see anything particularly mad about it tbh. These are exceptional circumstances & it makes perfect sense to me, even if the 6 counties that relegated won't be too thrilled about not getting the chance to redeem their league campaigns in rounds 6 & 7, or play in a final. It only the league after all. People care far more about the champo.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Don't see anything particularly mad about it tbh. These are exceptional circumstances & it makes perfect sense to me, even if the 6 counties that relegated won't be too thrilled about not getting the chance to redeem their league campaigns in rounds 6 & 7, or play in a final. It only the league after all. People care far more about the champo.

Tell that to the teams relegated from 2 or not promoted from 3 who are stuck in the waste of space champo. It’s grand for the big boys looking down when it does affect them and they’re completely out of touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

This won't be done in 2 and a bit weeks anyway and then everything back to normal. Likelihood is the current guidelines will be extended until after Easter at the very least and maybe longer. That will bring it right up to mid April or after. And with some teams beginning championship in early May I think the league is very much in danger of being voided for the year.

Fairest way

With 2 games to go in Division 2 Armagh and Roscommon are top with 7 points
    Kildare are in 7th on 4 points

In theory Kildare could get promoted, in theory one of Armagh and Roscommon could get relegated.

It's not exactly fair if you promote Armagh and Roscommon and relegate Kildare if you were to halt it now.

Remember relegation to Div 3 "likley" puts you in the second tier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If team were relegated promoted on present standing

Meath and Mayo relegated From Div1
    Armagh and Roscommon promoted From Div2
    Fermanagh and Kildare relegated from DIV2 (Kildare over head to head game with Clare
    Cork and Down promoted from Div3 ( Down on head to head over Longford)
    Louth and Leitrim Relegated from Div3
    Limerick and Antrim Promoted from Div4

There has always been a tradition of playing off competitions in the GAA no matter how long it took. However two factors come into play new championship format

How fair would it be in Div 1 hard to see the result changing even if rest of games played. Mayo having to get 3 points to survive as two points would not do them

In Div 2 Kildare could feel hard done by getting caught on the head to head Would they have survived there last two games were against Westmeath and Cavan. You have to have fancied Clare against Fermanagh but hardly againt Armagh.

Div £ promotion Cork were promoted but Down and Longford on the head to head, Down had Louth and Leitrim while Longford had Cork and Derry Down were more than likely going to get Promoted.
    On relegation The head to head on the last day between Leitrim and Tipp would have decided it.
    Div4 promotion Limerick and Antrim, Wexford would have fancied there chances of beating Limerick but Limerick could still have got promotion by beating Sligo away with Sligo having nothing to play for.

Looking at it the only team That could really feel aggrieved would be Kildare IMO. The only other contraversy would be if they played off the Div Finals. Kerry and Galway would have played off the Div1 final Galway were virtually guaranteed to be in it but Kerry needed a win against both Monoghan and Donegal

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

With 2 games to go in Division 2 Armagh and Roscommon are top with 7 points
    Kildare are in 7th on 4 points

In theory Kildare could get promoted, in theory one of Armagh and Roscommon could get relegated.

It's not exactly fair if you promote Armagh and Roscommon and relegate Kildare if you were to halt it now.

Remember relegation to Div 3 "likley" puts you in the second tier.

So what
    Every team has played the same number of games

So what
    Every team has played the same number of games

But they all haven’t played the same teams. It’s a league.

I presume you’re from a big division one county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

If they could somehow fit in the two remaini rounds scrap the finals and award titles to league leaders. Don't think any second placed side would complain they don't get a final for a trophy. Realistically though this would mean Champ running later which again impacts club championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

henke wrote: »
    If they could somehow fit in the two remaini rounds scrap the finals and award titles to league leaders. Don't think any second placed side would complain they don't get a final for a trophy. Realistically though this would mean Champ running later which again impacts club championships.

That's a good idea.

I also think that the Championship should just go to Straight knockout.

All into a hat. Seed the first round by end of league placing and just go with it. No qualifiers or provincials.

Special circumstances and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

We'll be lucky if we get a championship tbh. Seeing what's happening with other countries dealing with this crisis, I don't see us being in the clear any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

That's a good idea.

I also think that the Championship should just go to Straight knockout.

All into a hat. Seed the first round by end of league placing and just go with it. No qualifiers or provincials.

Special circumstances and all that.

I suspect that this is what will happen. They will manage to fit in the remaining 2 league games somewhere this year but no league final. Championship will either be old format (straight K/O) or not go ahead.

Would the GAA want to know about teams training or would they care at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Would the GAA want to know about teams training or would they care at all?

Read this earlier. I assume they wouldnt be happy with teams breaking the ban.

https://twitter.com/ExaminerSport/status/1238588153226641408?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Back after a 7 month break.

NFL round 6
    October 17th

Div 1
    Monaghan v Kerry - Inniskeen, 2pm
    Dublin v Meath, Parnell Park 7pm - Eir Sports

Div 2
    Westmeath v Laois - Cusack Park 2pm
    Armagh v Roscommon - Athetic Grounds 5.30pm RTE

Div 3
    Cork v Louth - Pairc Ui Chaoimh 4pm
    Derry v Longford - Celtic Park 4.30pm
    Down v Leitrim - Pairc Esler 5pm

Div 4
    Wicklow v Antrim Aughrim 2pm
    Carlow v Sligo Cullen Park 5pm

October 18th

Div 1
    Galway v Mayo - Tuam Staduim 2pm TG4 live
    Donegal v Tyrone - Ballybofey - 4pm TG4 live

Div 2
    Clare v Fermanagh - Cusack park Ennis 1pm
    Kildare v Cavan - Newbridge 2pm TG4 deferred

Div 3
    Tipperary v Offaly - Semple Staduim 1pm
    Div 4
    Limerick v Wexford - Neville Park 1pm

NFL Round 7
    October 24th

Div 1
    Kerry v Donegal - Austin Stack Park 2pm

Div 2
    Cavan v Roscommon - Breffni park 2pm
    Clare v Armagh -Ennis 2pm
    Kildare v Westmeath - Newbridge 2pm
    Fermanagh v Laois - Brewster Park 2pm

Div 4
    Antrim v Waterford - Portglenone 2pm
    Wexford v Wicklow - Wexford Park 2pm
    Sligo v Limerick - Markievicz Park 2pm

October 25th

Div 1
    Galway v Dublin - Pearse Stadium 2pm
    Mayo v Tyrone - MacHale Park 2pm
    Monaghan v Meath - Clones 2pm

Div 3
    Longford v Cork - Pearse Park 2pm
    Louth v Down - Drogheda 2pm
    Leitrim v Tipperary - Pairc Sean 2pm
    Offaly v Derry - O'Connor Park 2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's happening point wise regarding the Div 4 games involving London ?

R6- Waterford vs London
    R7- London vs Carlow

I knw it wont affect the overall table regarding promotion much/if at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What's happening point wise regarding the Div 4 games involving London ?

R6- Waterford vs London
    R7- London vs Carlow

I knw it wont affect the overall table regarding promotion much/if at all

Walkovers/points given to Waterford,Carlow i can imagine.

Walkovers/points given to Waterford,Carlow i can imagine.

If those points do matter then there should be war risen

NFL round 6
    October 17th

Div 1

Div 2

Dublin playing home games in Parnell Park ?
    Would ya look at that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

NFL round 6
    October 17th

Div 1

Div 2

Div 3
    Cork v Louth - Pairc Ui Chaoimh 4pm
    Derry v Longford - Celtic Park 4.30pm
    Down v Leitrim - Pairc Esler 5pm

Div 4
    Wicklow v Antrim Aughrim 2pm
    Carlow v Sligo Cullen Park 5pm

October 18th

Div 1
    Galway v Mayo - Tuam Staduim 2pm TG4 live
    Donegal v Tyrone - Ballybofey - 4pm TG4 live

Div 2
    Clare v Fermanagh - Cusack park Ennis 1pm
    Kildare v Cavan - Newbridge 2pm TG4 deferred

Div 3
    Tipperary v Offaly - Semple Staduim 1pm
    Div 4
    Limerick v Wexford - Neville Park 1pm

NFL Round 7
    October 24th

Div 1
    Kerry v Donegal - Austin Stack Park 2pm

Div 2
    Cavan v Roscommon - Breffni park 2pm
    Clare v Armagh -Ennis 2pm
    Kildare v Westmeath - Newbridge 2pm
    Fermanagh v Laois - Brewster Park 2pm

Div 4
    Antrim v Waterford - Portglenone 2pm
    Wexford v Wicklow - Wexford Park 2pm
    Sligo v Limerick - Markievicz Park 2pm

October 25th

Div 1
    Galway v Dublin - Pearse Stadium 2pm
    Mayo v Tyrone - MacHale Park 2pm
    Monaghan v Meath - Clones 2pm

Div 3
    Longford v Cork - Pearse Park 2pm
    Louth v Down - Drogheda 2pm
    Leitrim v Tipperary - Pairc Sean 2pm
    Offaly v Derry - O'Connor Park 2pm

Will there be any live streaming of games that aren’t going to be televised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin playing home games in Parnell Park ?
    Would ya look at that :)

Good to see that the Plague hasn't impacted on your obsession :D

Parnell might have to do with fact that it can't hold home crowds for Dublin footballers? But you know that.

On more serious note, hard to see any county with championship ambitions fielding teams any stronger than for O'Byrne, McKenna etc. Good that they are going ahead all the same as it is in reality more important for a lot of counties to get promoted or avoid relegation than any hope of progressing in championship.

• Advertisement
Advertisement