Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Anyone who has this on Switch, have any of the patches improved performace? Would be playing it in handheld mode, rarely get near a TV these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No sign of the DLC on the playstation store.

No sign of the DLC on the playstation store.

5pm our time I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

5pm our time I think.

I was expecting it when the ps store updated at 12.

There now, 14.99 or 24.99 for a season pass. I'll hold off for a good review or a sale I think. Seems a bit on the pricey side.

• Advertisement

There now, 14.99 or 24.99 for a season pass. I'll hold off for a good review or a sale I think. Seems a bit on the pricey side.

That's what I should have done

Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Started this game when released and just jumped back in for a while today. Got to the first town edgewater I think it's called. Nice vibrant colours in the game. Seems like a good game and don't know why I left it for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Season pass...is there even more DLC planned? My favorite game last year, absolutely amazing. Dying to get stuck back into it.

Homelander wrote: »
    Season pass...is there even more DLC planned? My favorite game last year, absolutely amazing. Dying to get stuck back into it.

One more coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It dosent seem like its worth the price for just 2 DLC's. I think i'll wait for a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Back playing this now to collect remaining trophies. Anyone have any hints for Supernova difficulty

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Back playing this now to collect remaining trophies. Anyone have any hints for Supernova difficulty

Watch one of the speed run videos on youtube, I had it within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Watch one of the speed run videos on youtube, I had it within an hour.

I just watched one yesterday with the devs reaction, think they did it in 12 minutes, it was crazy!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I just watched one yesterday with the devs reaction, think they did it in 12 minutes, it was crazy!

Took me an hour because I had to reload a few times and kept having to pause the video.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Anyone who has this on Switch, have any of the patches improved performace? Would be playing it in handheld mode, rarely get near a TV these days.

there was talk of a performance patch being "in the works" but nothing has arrived 2 and 1/2 months later

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/06/a_new_patch_is_in_the_works_for_the_switch_version_of_the_outer_worlds

I would say that the scope for improvements is fairly limited due to the hardware and the outdoor landscapes (more graphically demanding) in the game but would be happy to be proven wrong.

Really liking this game and have no idea why I haven't played it since I have gamepass since this game was released. Still in and around Edgewater doing different tasks.

One thing I don't like is the hacking and costing components. I used to love lock picking and the way you hacked the computers in Fallout. It's annoying running out of components while trying to open something.

The bright vibrant colours of the game area around edgewater is amazing.

glasso wrote: »
    there was talk of a performance patch being "in the works" but nothing arrived 2 and 1/2 months later

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/06/a_new_patch_is_in_the_works_for_the_switch_version_of_the_outer_worlds

I would say that the scope for improvements is fairly limited

I have a switch but I wouldn't go playing a game like this on it and even more so in handheld mode. Even Mario Odessey looks really bad in handheld mode and that wouldn't be a demanding game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

Really weird stuff with the DLC, you need to load an older save from before getting into the last main mission to be able to go back to the Unreliable and get the DLC starting mission.

Itching to play this but there was a massive update on Xbox One X and I was playing offline but stopped since you don't get achievements while playing offline so decided to update which is a massive 43.64GB's. I've been downloading for about 48 hours now, nearly there now though so should be able to jump back in.

Because it is, if feels like a section of the main game that was left out of the original release because it wasn't quite finished.
    You need to search how to start it up, ffs. It's middle of the game content story wise and not available to start from the main menu, and since there is no end game content to this game, there is no obvious way to start it.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    Finished at 23 hours and did every quest/side quest/companion quest I could find, once you get to Byzantium it picks up pace
    mewso wrote: »
    Vive la difference. On 38 hours and just left monarch with a few things still to do before proceeding to Byzantium.

Dragging up old posts but anyway. I am at around 21 hours played and still only halfway through Monarch. You really have to talk to every character that has a name and go through all chat to find the side missions plus I explore every bit of each place I go to.

I found a locked loot crate on Monarch that needs 100 lockpick to open. I will have to remember it once I level up more and go back to it.

Parvati is hot. :D

Finished this game just now. The DLC is not free with gamepass so will more than likely pick it up at some stage.

Brilliant game and I do not know why I started it on release and just left it until a few days ago. I'd say I done every mission as I spoke to everyone and went through all the dialogue so I wouldn't miss a mission. I botched one mission where I was to look for a pack of cigarettes. I was giving the mission and went inside a building(I should have searched for smoke packet first and then went into building).

Cordell wrote: »
    Because it is, if feels like a section of the main game that was left out of the original release because it wasn't quite finished.

Makes me wonder did you even play the DLC. I'm a decent way through it and it does not feel at all like it was left out of the main game. Feels to me like they had already planned this DLC while they were making the main game due to going back to previous places and buildings inaccessible now accessible.

This DLC is a lot longer than I thought it would be. I now have both
    access pass and voice recording
    to access the locked buildings on Gordon. I'm really enjoying it.

I did enjoy it, I never said it was bad. But from the story line perspective, it belongs more in the main game than in an expansion, this is why it feels like a it's section of the main game sold as a DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Cordell wrote: »
    I did enjoy it, I never said it was bad. But from the story line perspective, it belongs more in the main game than in an expansion, this is why it feels like a it's section of the main game sold as a DLC.

In the middle of my first playthrough at the moment but can appreciate what you mean.

The way I've just been introduced to the expansion definitely makes it feel more suited to first time playthroughs. It slots so seamlessly into the game that if someone was playing a game of the year edition and hadn't been keeping up on what was released as DLC, then they'd be forgiven for not even realising they were starting one of the expansions.

It makes little difference to me as I'm just able to pick it up now in my first playthrough, but I can imagine there is plenty out there like me who don't keep multiple saves, and they will found themselves having to start a new run just to get access to an expansion to a game they finished the best part of a year ago. I know I'd certainly be frustrated if I found myself in that position, especially as I rarely replay games as it is.

Got this finished tonight. Whilst I enjoyed the game, I was nowhere near as high on it come the last couple of hours as I was across the first third or so.

The pacing is absolutely awful once you finish up the story on Monarch, and even Obsidian themselves have said the ending absolutely feels rushed as a result of several rounds of cuts they had to make to the game. I guess the scope of the game must have just gotten to big relative to their resources and deadlines etc., but either way the pace at which you barrel towards the ending is absolutely ridiculous. When the credits rolled, I felt like there was half a game missing, and in all honesty it left the entire thing feeling like a side quest in a much bigger RPG that the developers weren't able to follow through with.

The game is also horribly easy even on hard difficulty. I know Supernova is there, but I couldn't be bothered with permadeath companions. Anyway, by the end of the game the combat was so trivially easy , and all speech checks so easily passed, that it became very difficult to maintain interest.

On the plus side, some of the writing was good, though I think even the quality here was largely overblown as I found it to be a very mixed bag, and some of the companions were genuinely compelling characters, though they lacked as much depth as I would have liked (again something Obsidian acknowledged themselves and blamed on content being cut). I also think it's a genuinely interesting universe, and I'd love to see what Obsidian could do with a sequel if they were given more resources that would enable them to flesh the next game out a bit more.

A solid 5 or 6 out of 10 for me, but no more than that. The perfect game for game pass really, something I'm glad I played, but relieved I got to do so via game pass rather than shelling out for a purchase.

I don't know I thought it was excellent and wouldn't have been annoyed if I had to pay for it.

I don't know I thought it was excellent and wouldn't have been annoyed if I had to pay for it.

I probably could have phrased my point better. I wouldn't have been annoyed as such if I'd paid for it, I got a solid 25 hours out of it and enjoyed the first 15 or so, so I can't complain. I am glad I didn't pay for it though (outside of my Game Pass sub price) given it just all fell apart for me after Monarch as I said and left me underwhelmed. The story just felt incomplete (as a result of those content cuts I suspect), and the ease of the combat and speech checks on top of that just soured the end of my experience.

All subjective of course, I know loads who loved it, and equally know quite a few who didn't get on with it at all And then there is the likes of me who just left it feeling a bit meh, so everyone's mileage will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

goon_magee wrote: »
    I probably could have phrased my point better. I wouldn't have been annoyed as such if I'd paid for it, I got a solid 25 hours out of it and enjoyed the first 15 or so, so I can't complain. I am glad I didn't pay for it though (outside of my Game Pass sub price) given it just all fell apart for me after Monarch as I said and left me underwhelmed. The story just felt incomplete (as a result of those content cuts I suspect), and the ease of the combat and speech checks on top of that just soured the end of my experience.

All subjective of course, I know loads who loved it, and equally know quite a few who didn't get on with it at all And then there is the likes of me who just left it feeling a bit meh, so everyone's mileage will vary.

I remember playing this last October and I felt monarch was a complete slog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement