Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company refused motorbike anchor in apartment block.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

goblin59 wrote: »
    This is the key bit here
    public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;”;"

The public don't have permission or right to park there as its a private parking lot for the residents of the complex with non designated parking spaces.
    Same reason as a vehicle in the underground garage where i live can be declared off the road and not need insurance.

so no he doesn't require insurance, as soon as the vehicle leaves the parking he can be done.
    If it was a public parking spot he'd just have to ask the local council for permission to put an anchor in as its in their jurisdiction.

but as its in what technically constitutes as a small company limited by shares.
    it is a private parking lot with non designated parking spaces.

We are going off topic though on this.
    The OP hopefully has approached the management company and board of directors and come to an agreement on what to do.

Even asking to install a bar, the same as you see for bicycles would be beneficial for all residents.

Unless there's a gate the public can access and park there, especially as its unassigned no one will know if its a residents car or not.

The management company won't allow a ground anchor be installed. There is no assigned parking so where in the car park can you put an anchor which won't be blocked by another resident parking their vehicle? Don't forget that parking on footpaths is illegal regardless of how many people get away with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Goose81 Banned for personal abuse. I'll be locking this if any more reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

The tenant hasn't moved in yet and he's already trying to install ground anchors?
    I'd be advising him to chain it to a pole in the complex once it was not an obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Caranica wrote: »
    1&2 are vandalism of common property. No owner or tenant can drill holes into external walls or footpaths without permission.

3 is a danger to other users of the bike shed, I know our development insurance company explicitly stated that no motorbikes can be stored in bike sheds.

Most planning applications for new developments includes specific motorbike parking areas but older developments don't have them.

Perhaps but if anyone kicked up about it you can be sure that the person who drilled an anchor in would then complain about the number of people who have drilled into the exterior wall to put up a hanging basket, an exterior light or in some cases, a canopy over a front door as protection against rain.

The reality is that no one is going to care about something small drilled into an exterior wall if its not bothering anyone.

I said bin shed, not bike shed. They use the back of the shed, no one even has to go near where the bike is stored, the bins are at the front.

I dont believe anyone has ever raised any concerns (in 15 years) and if they did, I cant imagine it would go very far.

Another option that would satisfy the "ooh, common vandalism" folk would be to buy a huge half barrel style plant pot, place it right outside your front door and fill it with concrete, sink the anchor into the concrete and then lock your bike to the filled concrete pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    The major issues are discussed at the annual AGM.

We used to own an apartment, they scheduled the management company AGMs during the day, midweek...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We used to own an apartment, they scheduled the management company AGMs during the day, midweek...

Usually with the retired members on the board and or individuals who work from home .

The normal owners generally left out . Busy bodies left in

Any I've been involved in were evenings (7/8pm) in a nearby meeting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Augeo wrote: »

Same with the 2 I was involved in - evening time in local hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

same,
    I use to get paid to attend them to take notes was a handy job as i had time to get home after college and get food first.

hayoc wrote: »
    Perhaps but if anyone kicked up about it you can be sure that the person who drilled an anchor in would then complain about the number of people who have drilled into the exterior wall to put up a hanging basket, an exterior light or in some cases, a canopy over a front door as protection against rain.

The reality is that no one is going to care about something small drilled into an exterior wall if its not bothering anyone.

I said bin shed, not bike shed. They use the back of the shed, no one even has to go near where the bike is stored, the bins are at the front.

I dont believe anyone has ever raised any concerns (in 15 years) and if they did, I cant imagine it would go very far.

Another option that would satisfy the "ooh, common vandalism" folk would be to buy a huge half barrel style plant pot, place it right outside your front door and fill it with concrete, sink the anchor into the concrete and then lock your bike to the filled concrete pot.

You don't appear to be able to differentiate between your own private property and the communal property here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

You don't appear to be able to differentiate between your own private property and the communal property here.

What bit do you think I am unable to differentiate?

That's what they did the first year, the developer (construction was still ongoing and the place was a mess) got so much stick they moved it in subsequent years

They owned a large enough chunk of the units that they could do what they liked with the management company, anyway.

Was glad to get out of there and buy a proper house after three years.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had a similar problem to the OP years back and the MC wouldnt allow a ground anchor in the car parking space. Can understand it as I only had a 1 year lease and the last thing they want is people cementing ground anchors and then heading off elsewhere in a year or two and the hole is left behind. In the end I stayed 7 years but they weren't to know that at the time.

Luckily I knew a neighbour with a spot that had a tree next to it so swapped my spot with theirs and got a 2 metre long Almax chain and that wrapped around the tree and front tyre, used a disclock too just for an extra layer of security.

Gladly never have to live in an apartment again, they're grand for a while but most are not good for permanent living.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Why not suggest one of these? https://yanchor.com/

No tripping hazard and looks tidy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They look decent and it gets rid of the trip hazard problem.

Though in my experience with Management Co.s they dont want anything out of the norm happening in the common areas. If it sounds like potential hassle to them then they wont allow it, trip hazard or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Melted wrote: »
    Why not suggest one of these? https://yanchor.com/

No tripping hazard and looks tidy?
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    They look decent and it gets rid of the trip hazard problem.

Though in my experience with Management Co.s they dont want anything out of the norm happening in the common areas. If it sounds like potential hassle to them then they wont allow it, trip hazard or not.

Seen similar before, but a hole would have to be drilled and refilled, I'd still say there is a hazard there myself, someone could potentially twist a foot in there (if it can happen it will), woman in highheels, the heel or just a narrow shoe and child could get a foot or a hand stuck in there.
    There were fittings for shop fronts/roller doors, where you can twist an eyelet into a ground fitting, when the eyelet is removed the part embedded in the ground is flush to the surrounding level, I think/recall they are sprung loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

1874 wrote: »
    Seen similar before, but a hole would have to be drilled and refilled, I'd still say there is a hazard there myself, someone could potentially twist a foot in there (if it can happen it will), woman in highheels, the heel or just a narrow shoe and child could get a foot or a hand stuck in there.
    There were fittings for shop fronts/roller doors, where you can twist an eyelet into a ground fitting, when the eyelet is removed the part embedded in the ground is flush to the surrounding level, I think/recall they are sprung loaded.

Caps for the two holes

listermint wrote: »
    Caps for the two holes

Possibly, but they would have to be refitted everytime and a management company is likely looking for any possibility that it presents a risk and might come back on the them/the blocks insurance. If someone didn't bother, which is likely, then the hazard potentially exists, something that comes into place like the fixtures for ground mounted eyelets for roller shutters does that task automatically, an entire post built in with holes for chains might suit, but then all manner of stuff might get locked to it if there is nothing preventing anyone gaining access.

I can think of solutions, I don't know why places cant, I'm sure safe purpose built without presenting a hazard itself and not unsightly security hardware that bikes can be secured to exists.
    IMO it comes down to how everything is done here and why apartment living isn't all it was ever cracked up to be as it doesnt compare to whats they were ever compared to, ie the continent, attended security, secure places, managed well, amenities etc etc, then again, they wouldn't tolerate breaches of noise rules and they'd be on it sharp (from what I was told).

1874 wrote: »
    Possibly, but they would have to be refitted everytime and a management company is likely looking for any possibility that it presents a risk and might come back on the them/the blocks insurance. If someone didn't bother, which is likely, then the hazard potentially exists, something that comes into place like the fixtures for ground mounted eyelets for roller shutters does that task automatically, an entire post built in with holes for chains might suit, but then all manner of stuff might get locked to it if there is nothing preventing anyone gaining access.

I can think of solutions, I don't know why places cant, I'm sure safe purpose built without presenting a hazard itself and not unsightly security hardware that bikes can be secured to exists.
    IMO it comes down to how everything is done here and why apartment living isn't all it was ever cracked up to be as it doesnt compare to whats they were ever compared to, ie the continent, attended security, secure places, managed well, amenities etc etc, then again, they wouldn't tolerate breaches of noise rules and they'd be on it sharp (from what I was told).

If there was assigned parking there are loads of solutions for the OP's tenant, the complex hasn't got assigned parking so there are none.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If there was assigned parking there are loads of solutions for the OP's tenant, the complex hasn't got assigned parking so there are none.

I understand but even with assigned spaces it may not be permitted, one complex I knew of, where the owner resided and had some contact with the owners management aspect, a person heavily involved told us of their ire related to satellite dishes and bins, not just because there was a service and alternative options re sattelite, but they genuinely were an unsightly mess and he'd already got rid of some. He explained very clearly to us what an apartment owner owns and what they dont, he told us that they could enforce removal of a persons unapproved installations at the persons expense.
    The problem with apartment living here is imo lack of options on one hand, insurance concerns and then people, occupants, mainly tenants but also owners blatantly ignoring community rules. I recal their bin service which was paid for as a group (although some property types also had individual bins and contracts but for the same company) had been declined to be collected because people were firing all manner of rubbish in, including hazardous waste and items that were recyclable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

Can anyone make any suggestions :confused: for someone with assigned parking in a closed covered car park with key fob entrance but that is easily accessed by any Joe Soap.
    The management company are hands off but any drilling or excavation probably would not be approved.

Thoughts occurred so far to keep a bike safe;

lot of Chains : relatively cheap but motorbike in plain sight

bike cover : thin fabric puts it out of sight but vulnerable

Bike shed : metal box sitting in my assigned space not secured but safer

Box Van : find a cheapo van on donedeal park it in my space. Keep bike inside van, weld doors if possible. I can play the batman tune as I exit. Only problem I can see here is having to push the 200kgs backwards up a ramp into a van

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Can anyone make any suggestions :confused: for someone with assigned parking in a closed covered car park with key fob entrance but that is easily accessed by any Joe Soap.
    The management company are hands off but any drilling or excavation probably would not be approved.

Thoughts occurred so far to keep a bike safe;

lot of Chains : relatively cheap but motorbike in plain sight

bike cover : thin fabric puts it out of sight but vulnerable

Bike shed : metal box sitting in my assigned space not secured but safer

Box Van : find a cheapo van on donedeal park it in my space. Keep bike inside van, weld doors if possible. I can play the batman tune as I exit. Only problem I can see here is having to push the 200kgs backwards up a ramp into a van

1. install a ground anchor..dont get caught on camera. when they come asking questions..play stupid..deny everything..assume the managment company put it there for you.

2. buy a bag of ready mix cement. plonk it in a big bucket with a loop of rebar for the chain. then leave it rifht in the middle of your assigned spot and when managment come to you complaining..ask them what are you supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

Thanks, I'm now thinking of something like this. Transit Jumbo type. I want something with no comebacks and the bike has to be completely closed off. Two ramps, one in and one out.
    It's a sports bike so fairly agile, possible?

528996.jpg

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks, I'm now thinking of something like this. Transit Jumbo type. I want something with no comebacks and the bike has to be completely closed off. Two ramps, one in and one out.

528996.jpg

Are commercial vehicles permitted in the car park?

528996.jpg

Getting out or in the side door would be a nightmare, you'd have to build an angled ramp.

If your bike isn't going to be safe left in the car park putting it in a van won't improve the safety. 2 bikes locked together are difficult to move, buy a banger bike and leave it it your space then lock your bike to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Transits are very high at the back so will be steep unless you have a long ramp and it'll be a high step up with the bike. A smaller van like a hiace/trafic/Vito would be much handier to get the bike in and out. Walk it in in first gear and roll it back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Nozebleed wrote: »
    1. install a ground anchor..dont get caught on camera. when they come asking questions..play stupid..deny everything..assume the managment company put it there for you.

2. buy a bag of ready mix cement. plonk it in a big bucket with a loop of rebar for the chain. then leave it rifht in the middle of your assigned spot and when managment come to you complaining..ask them what are you supposed to do?

legally speaking a massive bucket filled with cement and then adding a anchor point is quite clever,

your not modifying the existing structure.
    its too big to be a trip hazard, but not big enough to be a fire hazard.
    It can be removed without having to damage anything and it would not be easy to lift on short notice.

I would ask the management company for a list of the rules concerning the parking spare as well, so that once they complain about a bucket of cement you can point out that its within the guidelines (so long as they don't have a this is literally for cars only rule, (this does exist in certain spots)

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

2. buy a bag of ready mix cement. plonk it in a big bucket with a loop of rebar for the chain. then leave it rifht in the middle of your assigned spot and when managment come to you complaining..ask them what are you supposed to do?[/QUOTE]

This is a excellent idea, I'd get a old road cone and fill it with concrete and a anchor point

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

I live in an apartment complex and have installed an anchor.
    Some lessons I've learned.
    • Management companies do not want anchors in the ground as they are trip hazards and can look messy. Especially where spaces are not allocated. Most renters do not clean up after they have left and it costs the management company time and money to put right.
    • Most people do not like/understand motorbikes.
    • In places where parking is at a premium people don't like motorbikes taking up a complete space unless allocated.
    • I found a quiet place beside an apartment block, off the car park but not impeding the paths etc. Installed a removable anchor in the wall about 50cm off the ground. It was very close to a large planter.
    • Most importantly I joined the board.... people are less likely to say no when they know the face attached to the request and you can explain it.
    I would suggest the tenant approaches the managing agent (not the board) and explains the situation, with the suggested location and the removable anchor suggestion. Pick somewhere out of the way and if possible close to the bike racks.
    Suggest that your only other option is to chain bike to bike rack or fencing/post.

• Advertisement

How do you mean removable? Won't it leave holes in the wall - or at least a base plate they'll probably still not be happy about.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement