Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2020 PGA Championship Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

bren2001 wrote: »
    Shaft can be replaced. That's a relatively new rule isn't it?

think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Shaft can be replaced. That's a relatively new rule isn't it?

Apparently, he damaged it without ‘abusing‘ it so the local rule allows him to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Some head scratching strategy from Rory on 7. Lowry barely getting shown unfortunately.

Rory’s strokes gained approach was decent today but it’s been poor since the restart. Even in the warm up he didn’t look comfortable with his irons. I don’t blame him for thinking he had a better chance of getting up and down from the green side than from the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Apparently, he damaged it without ‘abusing‘ it so the local rule allows him to replace it.

Yeah, part of the new rules that came in last year. I've never actually seen a club replaced.

In fairness, he didn't abuse it. It broke when he was leaning down to get his tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

When I heard it I thought "The pantomime villian at it again" but no it wasn't, sorry Bryson :)

• Advertisement

When I heard it I thought "The pantomime villian at it again" but no it wasn't, sorry Bryson :)

I enjoyed him pretending to joke about it to his caddy. Man clearly knew he was on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Round 1
    T1 Jason Day, Brendon Todd
    T3 Martin Kaymer, Zach Johnson
    Mad!
    These lads have had an eventful 5 years.

2015 British Open
    Round 1
    1 DJ
    T2 Jason Day, Zach Johnson
    T8 Speith
    T41 Todd, Kaymer

Final Round
    1 Zach Johnson
    T4 Day, Speith
    T12 Todd, Kaymer

2015 PGA
    Final Round
    1 Day
    2 Speith
    T7 DJ
    T12 Kaymer
    MC Todd (OWGR 48)

Over the next 3 years Todd had 42 MC from 51 Tournaments
    OWGR 2,043rd in Aug 2018
    OWGR 48 Aug 2020

Would love if Brendon "Grease" Todd won
    https://www.augusta.com/masters/story/news/brendon-todds-perseverance-finally-pays

He's a friend of Chris Kirk. Another guy with a story to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Classy from Rory there. So many of his peers would try to take advantage of the situation and give themselves a better lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

This thread is quiet. Lowry doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

HighLine wrote: »
    Classy from Rory there. So many of his peers would try to take advantage of the situation and give themselves a better lie.

I missed it. What happened ?

• Advertisement

This thread is quiet. Lowry doing great.

If he gets home -3 for today it’ll be a very good round and he’ll be in great shape for the weekend.

McIlroy just can’t get anything going. He hasn’t been able to get all parts of his game working well. Coltart made the point that he had improved his wedges but now his irons are poor. Before the issue with the wedges his putting was poor. He sorts one thing out and something else goes astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Ninap

Sky coverage is quite poor. The commentators obviously aren’t there, which is fine in current circumstances, but there is an almost total absence of sound from the course, so it feels even more removed. Very little ambient noise which reduces the atmosphere (such as it is without spectators).

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Ninap

Ninap wrote: »
    Sky coverage is quite poor. The commentators obviously aren’t there, which is fine in current circumstances, but there is an almost total absence of sound from the course, so it feels even more removed. Very little ambient noise which reduces the atmosphere (such as it is without spectators).

I would be fairly certain you hear the ball dropping in the hole on US tv

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Do they have to show every single shot by Tiger

Leaving out so many that are in the mix

fullstop wrote: »

How did he know how the lie was before he got to his trodden on ball?

Think he has done himself there unintentionally, could be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lowry up to his old tricks with the putter. God damn

Happy4all wrote: »
    How did he know how the lie was before he got to his trodden on ball?

Think he has done himself there unintentionally, could be costly.

He didn't and the reporter didn't know either. He gave himself neither a good nor bad lie, just pushed it down.

While it's great to see, he's trying to win a major. Luck of the draw someone stood on his ball and he gets relief, I'd be giving myself the best lie possible under the rules.

Koepka doing his best Jason Day impression :pac:

4 in a row for Rory

He didn't and the reporter didn't know either. He gave himself neither a good nor bad lie, just pushed it down.

While it's great to see, he's trying to win a major. Luck of the draw someone stood on his ball and he gets relief, I'd be giving myself the best lie possible under the rules.

People were commenting on twitter about how he was opening up the lob wedge to play a flop so if it was up too high he could go under it. I don’t agree with it because with how low he put the ball he had to go through a lot of grass. He seemed genuine as well with the way he was placing it.

• Advertisement

tobsey wrote: »
    People were commenting on twitter about how he was opening up the lob wedge to play a flop so if it was up too high he could go under it. I don’t agree with it because with how low he put the ball he had to go through a lot of grass. He seemed genuine as well with the way he was placing it.

I 100% think he was being genuine and didn't question his motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s worrying for Koepka. He wouldn’t be doing this if not in a lot of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

McGinley giving Li stick about getting practice in...

McGinley giving Li stick about getting practice in...

People are calling him bland. I enjoyed his WeChat comment considering the news on it.

Shane snaps an iron after leaving second to the 13th well short. Needs to get in the clubhouse fast with weekend privileges secured.

Shane snaps an iron after leaving a second to the 13th miles short. Needs to get in the clubhouse fast with weekend privileges secured.

Wtf Shane?? He’s completely lost the head. I expect McIlroy to loose the head but he’s actually knuckled down and playing sensational stuff.

Shane snaps an iron after leaving second to the 13th well short. Needs to get in the clubhouse fast with weekend privileges secured.

****in ridiculous. That could cost him the cut. Will have been some capitulation if he misses it, was cruising along at -4.

And then McIlroy triple bogeys!!!
    So so typical from him!!

Tough watching that last hour

• Advertisement

Until a few minutes ago. Triple out of nowhere, talk about giving it all back.

He never disappoints!
    Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Par, Triple Bogey

Closing holes should be fun.
    I think he will miss the cut now

Advertisement