Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introduce yourselves

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FLASHDANCE

Id also agree with you fits there, Who needs fancy gizmo's and gatdgets coz half of the time the horse doesnt thats for sure,
    Less is better,
    Im a beliver in martingale if needed, snaffle , and cavesson and away you go,
    Flashing light that is a nice photo
    Yeah fits Stradbally is a great venue hopefully it will be same again this year and with the weather aswell from last year if you where at the r.c festival this year,
    the 2 photos i uploaded arent the best but at least i managed to get a photo up haha :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FlashingLight1

thank u!! :) yea i agree, less is better!! people get too caught up in "what looks fancy" instead of what they actually need!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 showjumpinggirl

I just moved back to ireland from usa will be here for 2 years at least am in Dublin right now but moving to mayo just outside of claremorriss,I have 2 ISH mares one is still in usa at the moment and i have a 3 year old here who i am looking to get broken.can not ride or do anything with horses really right now due to being pregnant and i miss it so much :(. would like to meet some horsey friends in the area. (by the way how do i post pics of my horses on here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭fits

(by the way how do i post pics of my horses on here)

Welcome :)
    Create a photobucket account, upload your photos, and post the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alliewags

I have a 16.2 lovely all rounder stabled up in stepaside Dublin 18, He's a real pet, I have recently had a baby so I'm looking for someone to horse share with me. Great facilities, big indoor ,two outdoors and a lovely area for hacking,nice cross country.
    there are two livery lessons a week that you can partake in too.
    Only reply to me if you're seriously interested as I want to get someone asap.
    Price on enquiry- I pay all vet and shoes. You'd need a car to get up there, just to you know! it's a bit of a walk from the nearest bus stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

I just moved back to ireland from usa will be here for 2 years at least am in Dublin right now but moving to mayo just outside of claremorriss,I have 2 ISH mares one is still in usa at the moment and i have a 3 year old here who i am looking to get broken.can not ride or do anything with horses really right now due to being pregnant and i miss it so much :(. would like to meet some horsey friends in the area. (by the way how do i post pics of my horses on here)

if u go up to the showjumping in claremorris ul meet LOADS of ppl from the surrounding areas..... i used go there every wkend for winter and summer leagues... met some cool ppl there! and im sure ul meet some too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 xlaurencurranx

hi lauren here i ride out at stonehaven im in my last year in the pres ,that horse is so cute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 showjumpinggirl

thats great i will for sure go to claremorriss im very excited about moving.here are pics of my two girls.my 3 year old lilly and my mare thats still usa poppy mybabypoppy.jpglily3.jpg

the one looking at me is my 3 year old again i ask if anyone knows a good person to finish her for me she has started to be backed but just needs some more work.due to being pregnant i cannot do it myself. she is a very willing and easy horse.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

Hello all. I'm a newbie. Have joined this and the other Irish Equestrian forum - so hope to be madly posting away on both.

I live in Wexford - where are you all from?

• Advertisement

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! Only discovered this forum last night when I was doing a search for the other new irish horse forum!! Now joined 2 at the same time. Brilliant to have a few Irish ones now as I always find the other ones have very little irish related stuff.:)

Borderfox - your photography is fantastic. The Cian O'Connor one is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

hello to everyone i have just joined up & i gotta say this has been great lookin up all the diff topic's on everything horsey. its been a long time since i sat on a horse not since my early teens but i so wana get back in the saddle a couple of times awk. jumpin was always a weak point with me but i guess it be best to start from the beginning. so can anyone tell me the best RS with the best instructors in the waterford area. owening my very own horse has always been my dream & i wana make it happen asap. seeing your pic's & your love of ur "babies" lol has made me want it even more. thanks peeps sry for the rambling

Hi lester76 I am new as well!
    for riding schools why not have a look on the Irish equestrian directory
    www.theequestriandirectory.com there are loads listed there:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm jenny 17 years old, and soon getting a horse on May! (Finally have the money!) I've been riding for 8 Years and want to start competing in Show Jumping (I can jump 1 metre 20!)
    :D

Hello. Welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭McSween

never introduced myself. im shane, 30, from limerick, hoping to resume lessons on saturday week, i am a novice.

Waves hello!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JoKing1

Hello everyone.... Just discovered this forum, Im Johanna, 26 from Kildare.. Just getting back to horses after years and just found out last Sat that Im not a good as Jessica Kurten (cause in my head i was!) so im a novice

:D hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MuckyDucky

hello :) yup glad to find an irish equestrian forum too!! im seventeen and living in dublin at the moment , just got back to horse riding after a 2 and a half year gap and its great! i missed it so much!! im starting a bhs exam stage 1 up in callighstown at the end of march will be living up there then i cant wait!! i was wondering had any of you's have done the same course before and know what its like? i used to help out at a yard when i was younger all the time so i know what work to expect! everyones horses are beautiful ive never had the privilege to own my own horse due to money ha , its someting ive always dreamed of ,but at least i got to ride some of the amazing ponys and horses where i used to help out :)

bubye :)

• Advertisement

Hi there. I did my stage 1 at Callighstown too. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Best of luck with the exams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Hi im Ash im 16.Only been riding 2 and a half years..doing weeks lessons and a few hose back safaris in africa.very weak rider but still enjoy it.love jumping even though i can only jump small enough ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tictacgreen

Hi,

Im living in Dublin for the past 6 years but origionally from Galway :) I have never competed just a happy hacker really!
    We have a 12 year old mare called Holly, she is a brood mare but was getting very fat so we are giving her a break, we got her broken in September and she is brilliant. Really willing to work.
    She is headstrong though so is not a beginners ride but there is no badness in her, she just needs a little encouragement sometimes! I love her to bits though, brought her on a charity hack at Christmas and she was brilliant, really brave (maybe a bit to brave) over fences, ditches, water, you name it, nothing phases her at all!

We also have 2 Connemara foals. Joey and Buster. Joey is the darker one and is mine, the other one is my dad's.

Would love to bring holly up to Dublin for the summer months. Was looking at livery out in Kinsealy Riding Center but the arena is kinda small .... does anyone keep there horse there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Welcome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

Hi I just joined. Don't have any photos on this computer yet but hope to get some up soon. Cool pics Borderfox!!

hello and welcome

Nice shots tictacgreen and welcome. Thanks Karen and welcome to you too :)

Here's my little lady-12 year old sport horse mare who thinks she's the business. Not a great picture though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

Was that Ballindenisk Karen? Nice shot!

• Advertisement

Thanks Napoles! Yeah it was Ballindenisk-last year I think. That horse finally decided she liked cross country. Now she is a neurotic freak who charges around the place!!:D

xxkarenxx wrote: »
    Thanks Napoles! Yeah it was Ballindenisk-last year I think. That horse finally decided she liked cross country. Now she is a neurotic freak who charges around the place!!:D

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsMaggie

Greetings from California. I visit Ireland as often as possible, because I love the people, horses, the land, and good craic. My heritage is the Cavanagh clan. I'm an Equine Ethologist specializing in Applied Ethology as it relates to the domesticated horse and the horse-human pair. I'm ALWAYS learning - can't get enough of that! Attached is a pic of Homer and me.

Welcome MsMaggie, Homer looks like a sweetie. I had never heard of Ethology, maybe I know it already but under a different name..

me neither, whats an equine ethologist do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Ethology is the study of animal behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsMaggie

Absolutely right. Animal Ethology can generally refer to feral or wild animals. I specialize in what is referred to as Applied Equine Ethology, especially in the horse & human pair. That's essentially the application of what has been scientifically researched about horse behaviour, and using it to get the desired result for the human and the best possible deal for the domesticated horse. It's fascinating to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

hello, I just joined :) Here's a pic of Oz & Doug :)

P1010013.jpg

I'm from tipp, living in dublin, am bringin on Oz my young horse at the minute, and do a spot of natural horsemanship every now and again. Nice to meet you all!

Oz is gorgeous. Welcome to boards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

I'm a Whyner and have been wrecking heads today asking questions about rising trot and diagonals....complete newbie........apparently I'll be back in a few weeks time saying how easy it all was :eek:

Right now my under carriage isn't looking forward to tonights lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Best of luck with the lessons, theres no way to avoid the inevitable aching muscles at the start but its well worth it! You might even be checking back in tonight to tell us you have found your rythm, honestly, its a bit of a eureka moment when it happens! Happy Riding :)

Cheers Bendihorse - Will let you know on Monday if Eureka strikes...

Whyner wrote: »
    I'm a Whyner and have been wrecking heads today asking questions about rising trot and diagonals....complete newbie........apparently I'll be back in a few weeks time saying how easy it all was :eek:

Not at all. I enjoy giving advice to beginners.
    Right now my under carriage isn't looking forward to tonights lesson.

male? tight underpants are the thing to have seemingly... ;)

Yes. I only wear jeans and hiking boots at the mo. I've heard about these jods but they don't provide protection for when I mistime my sit, do they?

Will invest in some gear soon enough. Will it get rid of the pinch??

Yes. I only wear jeans and hiking boots at the mo. I've heard about these jods but they don't provide protection for when I mistime my sit, do they?

I've even heard some say cycling shorts would be a good idea under the jeans, or under tracksuit bottoms.

It has to be said though, men learn the basics quicker because there is a 'vested interest' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Which pinch are you referring to, The one from the stirrup leathers on your inside calf and thigh or the one up farther? :o

I think its a case of gathering it all out in front of you but im not an authority! Togster might be the best man to tell you how best to arrange your tackle on a horse!! :D

Do report back, will be looking forward to hearing how you got on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RozzBurrows

you can get jods with padded seats and apparently they make a huge differense, although, ive also heard once you get used to riding in them you cant ride in anything else.

that pinch.... its coz your wearing jeans and not correct foot gear. good pair of jods, a cumfy saddle pad that fits ontop of the saddle and some good chaps and boots, youll be sorted

(and poor!)

My name is Rozz, Im a 4th year in the uiversity of Limerick studying equine science!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Bendihorse wrote: »
    I think its a case of gathering it all out in front of you but im not an authority! Togster might be the best man to tell you how best to arrange your tackle on a horse!! :D

No advice at all really. I have to say though, people talk about how sore it is to get a kick in the nuts but baing launched from a horse and then landing square on the pommel on the saddle is real pain!! So Whyner no advice rally other than, get used to it!;)

I'm going to get jods, chaps, boots and a helmet........just the lower pinch Bendihorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tuper

Whyner - Yes, jods/chaps should get rid of the lower pinch. I have scars on my legs from riding in jeans!

• Advertisement
Advertisement