Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I spent new game money on it upon release.
    My enthusiasm lasted a few hours... then the best bit was the unlockable Donkey Kong arcade game, and it remained the best bit.

Best bit other than the DK Rap you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Gone back to FF7 Remake the last few evenings (it sort of counts as retro, right?) after not really having time to play it since release.

I hated the battle system at first but now it's my favourite thing about it. The constant flash forwards to Sephiroth seem kind of pointless and the button pushing filler in the missions is rather tedious but it looks lovely and the cutscenes are nicely directed and voice acted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I beat Bangai-O Missile Fury, all the bonus super hard missions (which are the ebst thing about the game). It's equally the hardest and one of the best games I've ever beaten. It's just so inventive in what it does with its level design, no two levels are the same.

My only issue is the Crazy King boss who is just insanely tough to beat but you can at least make a custom level and practice against him. It's such a pain to get to the end of the final stage and have to fight one of these feckers and then a pair of them and have to repeat it when you die to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Picked up a 'New' 2DXL and have been playing Super Mario 3D Land for the past few weeks on and off. Mario games always age well, this one was released in 2011 and looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I beat Bangai-O Missile Fury, all the bonus super hard missions (which are the ebst thing about the game). It's equally the hardest and one of the best games I've ever beaten. It's just so inventive in what it does with its level design, no two levels are the same.

My only issue is the Crazy King boss who is just insanely tough to beat but you can at least make a custom level and practice against him. It's such a pain to get to the end of the final stage and have to fight one of these feckers and then a pair of them and have to repeat it when you die to him.

Fair play, you absolute lunatic :D

Going through a bit of a 'modern retro' phase myself at the moment. Finishing off Hotline Miami 2 and started Carrion yesterday.

Finding Carrion a little repetitive but am still really enjoying it. Pretty unique game. Playing it on the Switch so the grab mechanics are a little fiddly with an alaogue stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Picked up a 'New' 2DXL and have been playing Super Mario 3D Land for the past few weeks on and off. Mario games always age well, this one was released in 2011 and looks great

Man the DS has waaay too many model names and models with the "new" ones now making it more convoluted.

Super Mario 3D land is the best Mario game ive played in a long time, that and Galaxy i put more time into than just the one basic play-though

Super Mario 3D Land also only really gets going in the post game levels when it gets more challenging and way more inventive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fair play, you absolute lunatic :D

Going through a bit of a 'modern retro' phase myself at the moment. Finishing off Hotline Miami 2 and started Carrion yesterday.

Finding Carrion a little repetitive but am still really enjoying it. Pretty unique game. Playing it on the Switch so the grab mechanics are a little fiddly with an alaogue stick.

Just finished it, it is a great game and well worth playing, there is no timer on the Gamepass version so I cant say how long it was but I liked the visual narration, there is a bit of back tracking once you get more powers and just watch for how complete each zone is complete before traveling to it.

I'm about half way through Carrion as well. It's not a masterpiece but the levels are really intuitively designed the movement is fun so I'm breezing through it very happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just seen that blasphemous is getting DLC. It's a game I really must pick up.

Between that, cuphead on the PS4 and battletoads later this month there's a lot of game I want to get stuck into

• Advertisement

Blaphemous is very good but not amazing. The art is gorgeously grotesque though. Worth a play but unfortunately it's doesn't quite live up to the art. Kind of glad I bounced off the game early as the DLC seems to add a lot to the base game , I'd be more annoyed it I'd already beaten it.

Cuphead on the other hand is a stone cold classic. I'd consider myself well versed in run and gun games as they were my favourite genre until I got turned to the dark side of JRPGs but I was actually surprised how well Cuphead nails the genre. In fact it's so well designed I'd say it's up there with the all time greats.

Master of the Universe

I really enjoyed Blasphemous, the fantastic art direction makes up for the failings gameplay wise.

So the DLC isn't going to just add extra areas on? Balls, that's pretty annoying alright.

Master of the Universe

Just finished it, it is a great game and well worth playing, there is no timer on the Gamepass version so I cant say how long it was but I liked the visual narration, there is a bit of back tracking once you get more powers and just watch for how complete each zone is complete before traveling to it.

Is that little completion ticker all you get so far as maps etc?

I'm finding that a little tricky at the moment, trying to remember if I've been to an area or not.

I suppose the fact that you can move through everything so quickly it means the backtracking isn't too much of a problem.

Playing "simpsons hit and run" and I really regret playing it now, it holds up awfully bad and plays terrible

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Playing "simpsons hit and run" and I really regret playing it now, it holds up awfully bad and plays terrible

I'm not the only one!

Except I thought it was always a mediocre game that got praise because it had some decent Simpsons jokes and references.

I'm not the only one!

Except I thought it was always a mediocre game that got praise because it had some decent Simpsons jokes and references.

I remember it being a fun game, not magnificent, but good at least. Yeah its got tonnes of Simpsons references and throwbacks which are really the only plus to the game. Finished it last night and by the time i got to the last chapter i was finishing it just to finish it and be done with it....not a fun time.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

I got this a couple of days ago Saturn version of grandia translated into English it's on 2 cd-r IMG_20200802_115500848.jpg

Is there a working version of that released? first I heard. I did hear they are putting the PS1 translation into it but there's a few issues to iron out when running on a saturn.

Would love to play it again on the saturn. It looks gorgeous compared to the PS1 version (which is still pretty good looking) and a hell of a lot better than the butchered HD port.

Is there a working version of that released? first I heard. I did hear they are putting the PS1 translation into it but there's a few issues to iron out when running on a saturn.

Would love to play it again on the saturn. It looks gorgeous compared to the PS1 version (which is still pretty good looking) and a hell of a lot better than the butchered HD port.

i got it from etsy uk case and discs €7 plus i got a action replay with pseudo saturn installed, on the game intro theres a terrible noise but goes when game starts so far its working perfect

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Downloaded Bangai-O Missile Fury for the 360 last night, bit of a steal at a tenner!

It's gas actually, I've had that 360 since about 2007 I'd say and it's the only digital game I've ever bought for it :eek:

Crazy to think how much digital content I've bought for modern consoles, I was so against the idea back in that generation of consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I still prefer physical media although the big releases are the only ones I seem to buy these days, indies tend to be digital.
    My Switch is chocablock with digital titles at this point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 ShedsDirectIre

I found my old copy of Wild 9 in the parents attic last weekend. Really enjoyed playing that when I was younger and it still holds up now. It's a massively under appreciated PS1 game.

There's still a lot of good games stuck on the PS3 and 360 digitally. I'm trying to get through my 360 games.

I've gone near full digital now. Just makes more sense on PC as the games will always be there and work on your system. Kind of gone mostly digital on Switch as well which I don't like but I just don't have the room any more.

As for Bangai-O Missile Fury... good luck if you ever try to beat it.

Master of the Universe

Yeah when I first booted it up and suddenly had a thousand missiles all around me targeted at once with no way out I knew I was in for quite the game :D

I know it says 'HD' in the title, but it looks absolutely gorgeous on a CRT in SD mode.

To be honest, with the whole digital/physical thing, part of my decision was a space one, I'm running out!

Made a bit of a decision that any console previous to the current gen I'd stick with my physical collection as I love it, but anything modern would be digital if I could. Saying that, I do have a collection of about 10 or so Switch physical games. (They're just so bloody lovely!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I have all the physical discs of the games I used to play but nowhere to insert them (save the external CD drive I have) , and no-CD hax for all the games!

I generally go with Steam because it's so bloody cheap.

Still pick up a few PS4 game physical as they're often cheaper than the digital version.

Having been out of the loop on modern consoles till lately I resent having to pay a subscription to play console games online. Had PS Plus for a year or so but I cancelled it because I don't play online very consistently and I wasn't interested in 3/4 of the free games.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Also it's annoying how dependent games are on it, I'm absolutely sick of Dark Souls 3 trying to log on and tell me I need a Game Pass sub every time I want to have a game.

I did have Game Pass for a bit (and it is definitely great value) but found I ended up suffering the the old 'spoiled for choice' syndrome - downloaded loads of games but never played any of them.

So instead I bought a few games that I'd been tinkering with on Game Pass and then cancelled my subscription.

Master of the Universe

And that's Hotline Miami 2 finished off on the Switch.

Played through them both now the whole story does not make one iota of sense. Loved every minute of it though. Will have to check out a plot explanation.

Also started Resident Evil Revaluations 2 earlier, for some reason it's a free download on the Xbox 360 store.

Actually I also started playing Valkyrie Chronicles 4 today too. Loved the first Chronicles, so this seems to be more of the same with a bit of visual gloss and some new units, can't complain though as its a fantastic battle system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    And that's Hotline Miami 2 finished off on the Switch.

Played through them both now the whole story does not make one iota of sense. Loved every minute of it though. Will have to check out a plot explanation.

Also started Resident Evil Revaluations 2 earlier, for some reason it's a free download on the Xbox 360 store.

Actually I also started playing Valkyrie Chronicles 4 today too. Loved the first Chronicles, so this seems to be more of the same with a bit of visual gloss and some new units, can't complain though as its a fantastic battle system.

love the hotline miami games......the second one does have a hidden ending/segment too iirc

Advertisement