Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's download only and stuck on XBox 360. All of Treasures digital games are stuck on 360 other than Ikaruga which seems to get released on everything. Would love to see Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes and Bangai-O on PC.

At least the first two are on the BC list and work on XBox One but Bangai-O is stuck on 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's really annoying alright. I've recently added my 360 back into my gaming setup so will give it a download if it's still available on the store.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's really annoying alright. I've recently added my 360 back into my gaming setup so will give it a download if it's still available on the store.

It's probably more insane mechanically than Alien soldier. It's all about i-frame management.

Basically you have a dash that you are invincible during.

You can do a counter shot which resets the dash gauge. This sends out insane amounts of bullets which multiply with how many bullets and enemies are close to you. You can also mutliply the amount of bullets up to 4 times by burning meter bars.

Then if you press dash without moving you can freeze enemies which is really handy and pretty much essential for that arsehole Crazy King. Also good for melee enemies that just bat projectiles back at you.

And you also have a super move which is kind of useless except for surviving the final desperation move of crazy king but I rarely have enough meter to use it.

The post game really takes advantage of the weird mechanics such as keeping bouncing bullets alive by keeping them in your proximity radius. Can be a bit of a puzzle game at times. And other times they just go hog wild.

The only thing is, as someone that has beaten Super Meat Boy and its toughest dark world levels, this might just be the hardest game I've ever played. It's hard initially because you don't understand the mechanics fully but by the end where it demands you understand them the execution required is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I loved the Dreamcast version of Bangai O I'm generally totally impatient with game dialogue but all the little exchanges are hilarious. The last level was definitely frustrating but the fact most of them were so short helped offset that.

I remember hearing the DS version was excellent as well. It had its own Mario maker style level maker where you could play other peoples levels.

There's no story in this one unfortunately.

The DS game is great and much closer to the 360 game. It's just an insane mix of levels built around the mechanics of the game with really inventive gimmicks where no stage is the same or boring.

The 360 version has a level editor as well but the DS one was special as you could exchange levels using mp3 files. The game would generate a mp3 based on the level you created and you could transfer it to another DS using the microphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Started playing Legend of Zelda, Phantom Hourglass on DS...really not fond of the movement using the stylus feature, im only an hour in so hopefully i'll get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

F**k Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

That is all.

There's tougher games :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Firewarrior....

Dude, it's Metal Slug 3 levels of 'one wrong move and we've f**ked you from 4 directions.' The slowdown is an absolute killer. Especially on the final boss where you're almost encouraged to twitch your way out in a game where you can't influence your jump.

Savage game all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Dude, it's Metal Slug 3 levels of 'one wrong move and we've f**ked you from 4 directions.' The slowdown is an absolute killer. Especially on the final boss where you're almost encouraged to twitch your way out in a game where you can't influence your jump.

Savage game all the same.

Is that the game where when you beat the final boss....the game says "jk jk....now, do it all over again"?

Inviere wrote: »
    Is that the game where when you beat the final boss....the game says "jk jk....now, do it all over again"?

Bingo. You've to also to pick up a specific item on your second playthrough or the game kicks you back 2 stages. Not rage iducing at all.

The arrow is nicely OP though on your first playthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The missus and I are playing Yoshi’s Story on the N64 at the moment.

It’s a cute game. Hilarious watching my wife play. She’s really getting into it!

521485.jpeg

Get a FAQ about that game. It's a total cake walk but it's got insane hidden mechanics if you want to 100% it that you need a walkthrough to figure out,.

Ah that’s good to know!

I’ll be playing more of it. I love playing games with the missus, but Mario Kart and Smash are a bit one-sided. Taking turns on platforms is much more pleasant.

Ah that’s good to know!

I’ll be playing more of it. I love playing games with the missus, but Mario Kart and Smash are a bit one-sided. Taking turns on platforms is much more pleasant.

Just don't play the newer mario games in multiplayer as they can lead to divorce!

As for Yoshi, you'll see what I mean about how complex it is. I didn't know anything about it and thought it was a just a bog standard platformer that was way too easy but you have to do weird stuff like only collect the one type of fruit... I don't quite get it and only realised it was a thing when someone on retronauts was defending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I was half thinking of selling a Cadillacs dinosaurs to raise dough for something else, so after dusting it off I stuck it on and it's genuinely a cracking game. Love the music. Think I'll be holding onto it after all, I'll sell all my clothes instead :p

Its probably my favourite Capcom brawler that isn't AvP

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's one of those games that's gotten so stupidly expensive lately you'd probably never bring yourself to buying it back!

Did you buy it dead and fix it?

Speaking of mentally priced games, I see Battle Garegga is going for €1,200 over on AO these days :eek:

• Advertisement

Its probably my favourite Capcom brawler that isn't AvP

AvP is up there, great!
    Yeah it's one of those games that's gotten so stupidly expensive lately you'd probably never bring yourself to buying it back!

Did you buy it dead and fix it?

Speaking of mentally priced games, I see Battle Garegga is going for €1,200 over on AO these days :eek:

I've had it for donkeys years, and yeah there isn't a chance id be paying whatever it's worth now. I had a load of offers, barely any mentioning price. Fair enough, nobody wants to hang themselves. I got one offer from somewhere in Europe that was seriously chancing his arm, so low-ball that his balls must drag along the ground walking :p

JAck Burton and his chomp bar and a packet of Tayto again?

JAck Burton and his chomp bar and a packet of Tayto again?

Partial to the aul chomps now, it must be said! He's a reasonable guy, he's just experienced some very unreasonable things. He's given a hot tip now and then, and I'll trade for hot tips in mortal Kombat boards :p

I put on Banjo Kazooie there for a bit since I've got my N64 set up.

It's pretty irritating. You can see the seed of the collect em up tedium in this game.

Edit: Done with that, put on Xtreme-G! I love those early futuristic arcade racers! I remember with this one, it's impossible to turn around. The game accelerates you into the walls if you try. They must've heavily culled the tracks!

I also remember Shawn Hargreaves was a programmer on this - he's now a lead developer on the Direct3D team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I put on Banjo Kazooie there for a bit since I've got my N64 set up.

It's pretty irritating. You can see the seed of the collect em up tedium in this game.

Edit: Done with that, put on Xtreme-G! I love those early futuristic arcade racers! I remember with this one, it's impossible to turn around. The game accelerates you into the walls if you try. They must've heavily culled the tracks!

I also remember Shawn Hargreaves was a programmer on this - he's now a lead developer on the Direct3D team.

Donkey Kong 64 is the worst example of this, just a collect a thon mess of levels and gameplay shifts, hated it.

I skipped that one, thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Donkey Kong 64 was Be Here Now levels of disappointing

I spent new game money on it upon release.
    My enthusiasm lasted a few hours... then the best bit was the unlockable Donkey Kong arcade game, and it remained the best bit.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My enthusiasm lasted a few hours... then the best bit was the unlockable Donkey Kong arcade game, and it remained the best bit.

Excuse me but you forgot the donkey Kong rap as well.

• Advertisement

Back to Chrono Trigger this evening. I'd left it with the side quests to do, and got a bit stuck on the Sunken Desert. Back to it this evening with Crono, Ayla and Marle to give it another lash!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Best bit other than the DK Rap you mean?

Gone back to FF7 Remake the last few evenings (it sort of counts as retro, right?) after not really having time to play it since release.

I hated the battle system at first but now it's my favourite thing about it. The constant flash forwards to Sephiroth seem kind of pointless and the button pushing filler in the missions is rather tedious but it looks lovely and the cutscenes are nicely directed and voice acted.

I beat Bangai-O Missile Fury, all the bonus super hard missions (which are the ebst thing about the game). It's equally the hardest and one of the best games I've ever beaten. It's just so inventive in what it does with its level design, no two levels are the same.

My only issue is the Crazy King boss who is just insanely tough to beat but you can at least make a custom level and practice against him. It's such a pain to get to the end of the final stage and have to fight one of these feckers and then a pair of them and have to repeat it when you die to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Picked up a 'New' 2DXL and have been playing Super Mario 3D Land for the past few weeks on and off. Mario games always age well, this one was released in 2011 and looks great

Master of the Universe

I beat Bangai-O Missile Fury, all the bonus super hard missions (which are the ebst thing about the game). It's equally the hardest and one of the best games I've ever beaten. It's just so inventive in what it does with its level design, no two levels are the same.

My only issue is the Crazy King boss who is just insanely tough to beat but you can at least make a custom level and practice against him. It's such a pain to get to the end of the final stage and have to fight one of these feckers and then a pair of them and have to repeat it when you die to him.

Fair play, you absolute lunatic :D

Going through a bit of a 'modern retro' phase myself at the moment. Finishing off Hotline Miami 2 and started Carrion yesterday.

Finding Carrion a little repetitive but am still really enjoying it. Pretty unique game. Playing it on the Switch so the grab mechanics are a little fiddly with an alaogue stick.

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Picked up a 'New' 2DXL and have been playing Super Mario 3D Land for the past few weeks on and off. Mario games always age well, this one was released in 2011 and looks great

Man the DS has waaay too many model names and models with the "new" ones now making it more convoluted.

Super Mario 3D land is the best Mario game ive played in a long time, that and Galaxy i put more time into than just the one basic play-though

Super Mario 3D Land also only really gets going in the post game levels when it gets more challenging and way more inventive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Fair play, you absolute lunatic :D

Going through a bit of a 'modern retro' phase myself at the moment. Finishing off Hotline Miami 2 and started Carrion yesterday.

Finding Carrion a little repetitive but am still really enjoying it. Pretty unique game. Playing it on the Switch so the grab mechanics are a little fiddly with an alaogue stick.

Just finished it, it is a great game and well worth playing, there is no timer on the Gamepass version so I cant say how long it was but I liked the visual narration, there is a bit of back tracking once you get more powers and just watch for how complete each zone is complete before traveling to it.

I'm about half way through Carrion as well. It's not a masterpiece but the levels are really intuitively designed the movement is fun so I'm breezing through it very happily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just seen that blasphemous is getting DLC. It's a game I really must pick up.

Between that, cuphead on the PS4 and battletoads later this month there's a lot of game I want to get stuck into

• Advertisement

Blaphemous is very good but not amazing. The art is gorgeously grotesque though. Worth a play but unfortunately it's doesn't quite live up to the art. Kind of glad I bounced off the game early as the DLC seems to add a lot to the base game , I'd be more annoyed it I'd already beaten it.

Cuphead on the other hand is a stone cold classic. I'd consider myself well versed in run and gun games as they were my favourite genre until I got turned to the dark side of JRPGs but I was actually surprised how well Cuphead nails the genre. In fact it's so well designed I'd say it's up there with the all time greats.

Master of the Universe

I really enjoyed Blasphemous, the fantastic art direction makes up for the failings gameplay wise.

So the DLC isn't going to just add extra areas on? Balls, that's pretty annoying alright.

Master of the Universe

Just finished it, it is a great game and well worth playing, there is no timer on the Gamepass version so I cant say how long it was but I liked the visual narration, there is a bit of back tracking once you get more powers and just watch for how complete each zone is complete before traveling to it.

Is that little completion ticker all you get so far as maps etc?

I'm finding that a little tricky at the moment, trying to remember if I've been to an area or not.

I suppose the fact that you can move through everything so quickly it means the backtracking isn't too much of a problem.

Playing "simpsons hit and run" and I really regret playing it now, it holds up awfully bad and plays terrible

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Playing "simpsons hit and run" and I really regret playing it now, it holds up awfully bad and plays terrible

I'm not the only one!

Except I thought it was always a mediocre game that got praise because it had some decent Simpsons jokes and references.

I'm not the only one!

Except I thought it was always a mediocre game that got praise because it had some decent Simpsons jokes and references.

I remember it being a fun game, not magnificent, but good at least. Yeah its got tonnes of Simpsons references and throwbacks which are really the only plus to the game. Finished it last night and by the time i got to the last chapter i was finishing it just to finish it and be done with it....not a fun time.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

I got this a couple of days ago Saturn version of grandia translated into English it's on 2 cd-r IMG_20200802_115500848.jpg

Is there a working version of that released? first I heard. I did hear they are putting the PS1 translation into it but there's a few issues to iron out when running on a saturn.

Would love to play it again on the saturn. It looks gorgeous compared to the PS1 version (which is still pretty good looking) and a hell of a lot better than the butchered HD port.

Is there a working version of that released? first I heard. I did hear they are putting the PS1 translation into it but there's a few issues to iron out when running on a saturn.

Would love to play it again on the saturn. It looks gorgeous compared to the PS1 version (which is still pretty good looking) and a hell of a lot better than the butchered HD port.

i got it from etsy uk case and discs €7 plus i got a action replay with pseudo saturn installed, on the game intro theres a terrible noise but goes when game starts so far its working perfect

• Advertisement
Advertisement