Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The it's offensive society.

Options
  • 01-05-2018 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

When you hear about the latest incident involving Apu on The Simpsons it shows how ridiculous this I'm offended culture is getting. It seems like everything is offensive to some. Why do some people believe not being offended is a human right and there should be a law in place to protect that right them from being offended so you're offended so what it doesnt mean you should have the right to demand laws so they will protect your feelings you just have to deal with it and stop being such snowflakes.

Whats even more ridiculous are those who get offended on behalf of others when the very groups they are offended on behalf are not themselves offended its clearly a case of bandwagon jumping, as the situation on The Simpsons shows. 20 years ago it didnt matter that the character of Apu was voiced by a white man but now it must be an Asian who voices him. This I'm offended society has gone way to far and must be stopped no one should have the right to protection from getting their feelings hurt because then literally anything could be offensive to someone which is a road we should avoid heading down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The monty python movie "life of Brian" was banned in Ireland for years.

I guess people have always been easily offended, nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Mutant z wrote: »
    When you hear about the latest incident involving Apu on The Simpsons it shows how ridiculous this I'm offended culture is getting.

Except the guy who brought up the Apu thing was not offended. He was making a point that the only representation on tv for people like him was Apu, and the effect it had on him growing up. His position is far more nuanced than the caricature you and other like you present.

Here is the guy who started the whole thing:
    https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/990986407232466944

The point being made is not the one you arguing against at all. In fact I see a lot of this. Someone criticizes something in a relatively nuanced fashion and the actual points are ignored in favor of moaning about people being offended.

People unable handle cultural criticism, and instead resort to straw manning the point being made instead, are just as much a part of the problem, as those who do go off being outraged about something that offends them. Simply put, your favorite TV show, or whatever else is open to criticism, and trying to straw man such criticism as deliberately stoking outrage, makes you no different than the people you are complaining about.

Basically, we have people being outraged about someone else who is outraged, but that other person wasn't all that outraged to begin with. Trying to present someone offering up criticism as being outraged is an easy get out of jail free card, where the thing being targeted can be defended by ignoring the argument and instead going on about outrage culture instead.

Quick question, to the OP, did you watch the documentary in question? If you haven't how can you be sure that the guy who worked on it was offended? Are you perhaps just reacting to 2nd/3rd hand information you have seen online?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think you'll find that the obsession with cultural appropriation, triggering and other nonsense both begins and ends with Farcebook, Twatter and the like. Spend some time away from them or, better still delete your accounts. You'll be much happier without the constant whinging and general noise of morons in your life.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

The way freedom of speech works is that people are free to say what they like. If someone is offended by what they say then they too are free to say so. Discourse ensues and if people aren’t completely pig headed then maybe we can all learn something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I think you'll find that the obsession with cultural appropriation, triggering and other nonsense both begins and ends with Farcebook, Twatter and the like. Spend some time away from them or, better still delete your accounts. You'll be much happier without the constant whinging and general noise of morons in your life.

Go to north America and describe somebody as from an oriental background and see how your lack of offense culture goes.

To test it call somebody else a westerner and see the response.

It's the same bloody word just Occidental/oriental just we use Latin for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The way freedom of speech works is that people are free to say what they like. If someone is offended by what they say then they too are free to say so. Discourse ensues and if people aren’t completely pig headed then maybe we can all learn something.

So if I say I'm completely in favour of abortion and 100% against gay marriage, that's OK cause freedom of speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Now that blogs and vlogs are monetised, those who use such platforms realise that it is all about traffic. More traffic = more visitors/clicks = more revenue. Getting serially offended can be lucrative to that end.

The Apu 'problem' is indicative of that. A journalist/documentary maker looking to get a break exploited this same 'that's offensive business model' and given the media attention it generated it is job done as far as he is concerned. He appeared on the Daily Show in the US. You get paid for appearing and his message reached millions.

The reality is that people have always been and always will be assholes. The filmmaker highlights how he (and others) got bullied at school by bullies who were so unoriginal that they resorted to using the catchphrase of a high profile cartoon character from a culturally iconic TV show to get their verbal digs in.

In essence, the problem was the bullies not Apu. Clearly, the fact that the character himself is portrayed incredibly positively in the show is irrelevant. It's a no-win situation for the show. Don't have multi-cultural characters and you get attacked for why there aren't any at all. Have them and then their accent is appropriated as a means to bully others and that is all your fault.

An equivalent here is The Young Offenders. Being from Cork, clearly the peripheral characters are portrayed as uncouth langers with that accent. Now if I happened to go to another part of the country and have the locals idiots mock and denigrate me with quips and quotes from that show upon either hearing my accent or learning where I'm from then it is not that show's fault. It is merely idiots being assholes and it would be up to me to deal with it myself and not deflect from it by recognising the opportunity to generate revenue by attacking the show and it's lazy stereotypes while monetising it all on my vlog, getting interviews even potentially getting on TV. It would be more prevalent to address dealing with that instead of finger pointing elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

It hapoens all the time though someone doesnt like what someone says on Twitter and the like and they are calling for them to be banned much like on the radio as was the case of the witch hunt of George Hook because he had an opinion someone didnt like it seems that those with views that dont concur with the narative are fair game to be slaughtered and petitions called for their removal its very sinister stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

So if I say I'm completely in favour of abortion and 100% against gay marriage, that's OK cause freedom of speech?

That’s just like, your opinion, man...

You’re free to be a homophobe, I’m free to cross the street to avoid you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What's wrong with holding and discussing either of those opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm telling on you.

Mutant z wrote: »
    It hapoens all the time though someone doesnt like what someone says on Twitter and the like and they are calling for them to be banned much like on the radio as was the case of the witch hunt of George Hook because he had an opinion someone didnt like it seems that those with views that dont concur with the narative are fair game to be slaughtered and petitions called for their removal its very sinister stuff.

Not sinister at all. Free speech is a 2 way street. You can say what you like and the other person can say what they want in return. There is no world where what you say doesn't have some consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Certainly but that doesnt mean they should have the right to want to ban those from social media or the airwaves because of opinions they have as as the case with certain sections of society.

What's wrong with holding and discussing either of those opinions?

Nothing whatsoever in my mind, but unfortunately you have idiots in Ireland and worldwide who will refuse to discuss those opinions. See above for evidence.

That’s just like, your opinion, man...

You’re free to be a homophobe, I’m free to cross the street to avoid you.

I don't hold those opinions, I just chose them as they are the most polarising opinions in Ireland in recent memory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

The brain-dead, retarded juvenile snowflakes who are 'offended' by Apu for Twitter can fcuk right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,831 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

joe40 wrote: »
    The monty python movie "life of Brian" was banned in Ireland for years.

I guess people have always been easily offended, nothing new.

That was more religion being used as a blunt instrument by devout practicing Catholics so at least they had a stake in the game.

Now we have white Caucasians (or whoever) being 'offended for' other peoples/nationalities/whatever you're having yourself or being overly offended by pretty trivial issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Someone, somewhere is always looking to take offence. From the cultural appropriation crowd to the delicate snowflake Trump supporters who can't stand a comedienne joking about their glorious leader.

• Advertisement

taserfrank wrote: »
    The brain-dead, retarded juvenile snowflakes who are 'offended' by Apu for Twitter can fcuk right off.

It so sad that people can't take a little bit of criticism of a cartoon without resorting to childish insults.

BTW, I don't even agree with the argument being made against Apu, but I do find it amusing to so many people being pissed off by criticism of a cartoon. Your post is a perfect example of someone getting overly emotional over someone criticizing a cartoon. Its really sad that people can't engage without resorting to such childish insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Maybe five to ten years ago that was true but what the OP is referring to is very much going on in the real world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maybe ten years ago that was true but what the OP is referring to is very much going on in the real world.

I've never encountered it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The furore over the Michelle Wolf White House Correspondents speech has been amazing to behold. People not even sure what they are offended by.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've never encountered it.

Me neither. It all seems to be an online phenomenon from people who spend too much time delving into American political issues.

I've never seen a lad from Ballinaspittle lose the head over cultural appropriation because some guy from Tallaght decided to ride a sheep.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Far to many people do that (both left and right), but again there free to do so. The price of freedom is that every damn idiot has it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well you've made that comment and not been arrested haven't you?

You're free to voice your opinions, others are free to disagree with them.

Me neither. It all seems to be an online phenomenon from people who spend too much time delving into American political issues.

I've never seen a lad from Ballinaspittle lose the head over cultural appropriation because some guy from Tallaght decided to ride a sheep.

Pretty much. I've also worked for multiple UK Universities and seen close to zilch aside from the occasional email.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well you've made that comment and not been arrested haven't you?

You're free to voice your opinions, others are free to disagree with them.

See above, I don't hold those opinions.

Advertisement