Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The it's offensive society.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

JCX BXC wrote: »
    So if I say I'm completely in favour of abortion and 100% against gay marriage, that's OK cause freedom of speech?

Well you've made that comment and not been arrested haven't you?

You're free to voice your opinions, others are free to disagree with them.
    Yes people are free to disagree with someones opinion,, disagreement is not an issue- what is an issue though doxxing/harassment when some people set out trying to cost someone,s right to earn an living by trying to get someone fired from their job for the thoughtcrime of having a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There has been a massive pushback against this type of thing in recent years though.

Trump was elected off the back of it.

What interested me is that many media outlets doubled down on the agenda in the aftermath instead of trying to understand their role in making it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's ironic hearing this complaint, when one of the biggest current "it's offensive" issues at the moment is Michelle Wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There has been a massive pushback against this type of thing in recent years though.

Trump was elected off the back of it.

What interested me is that many media outlets doubled down on the agenda in the aftermath instead of trying to understand their role in making it happen.

If someone voted for Trump, after someone criticized a cartoon, then I think that person probably would have voted for him in anyways.......... ;)

I do agree that the media did play a role in electing Trump, and that was giving him all the free air time, and there cowardice in tackling the crap he said. There still at after all the attack he has made on the media. They show the clown far to much respect, when he shows no one any respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Declan Ganley posted this tweet yesterday highlighting tweets posted at him using photoshopped images mocking him & others for their religious beliefs. 

https://twitter.com/declanganley/status/991113352163282944

Now lets reverse the roles a bit imagine if a someone a public figure of the islamic faith had similar stuff tweeted at them being mocked for religious beliefs. chances are some left wing groups would be going on about so called " Islamophobia "  "hate speech" etc, but when catholic beliefs are mocked most  people don,t care- Im not offended by the photoshopped images, what I do hate is double standards with some people would be crying " hate speech" if islam was mocked but silent when non islamic beliefs are mocked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

What is really ridiculous is that only certain people have to apologise for causing offence. The series Making A Murderer has a gay character and there are often sex scenes that are just there, they do nothing to advance the plot. People have sent messages to the woman who produces the series about this. They haven't even said anything derogatory, just that the sex scenes don't have anything to do with the story and are unnecessary. Her response is that she doesn't want bigots watching her programs.

https://twitter.com/shondarhimes/status/523939765771436032?lang=en

If this was the other way round and someone demanded more gay representation from a producer of a program they'd most likely apologise and a few weeks later they would get their wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I blame the Jews for all of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

One of the ones offended by Apu is Kal Penn. He's in Dedicated Survivor and I think he has some input into the storylines. In every episode there's a monologue by the president about why America is great. It's written like an inspiring speech but it's supposedly a spontaneous conversation that just came off the top of his head, as if all good presidents constantly talk like they're giving the Gettysburg Address. You can tell a mile away it's trying to show a president acting the exact opposite of how Trump acts. There's barely any story to it. It's a depressing look at how television is going.

Also given that he worked for the Obama administration, he probably sees the Trump presidency as a repudiation to his efforts. All the same glad I bailed on that show after the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

One of the ones offended by Apu is Kal Penn. He's in Dedicated Survivor and I think he has some input into the storylines. In every episode there's a monologue by the president about why America is great. It's written like an inspiring speech but it's supposedly a spontaneous conversation that just came off the top of his head, as if all good presidents constantly talk like they're giving the Gettysburg Address. You can tell a mile away it's trying to show a president acting the exact opposite of how Trump acts. There's barely any story to it. It's a depressing look at how television is going.

Dedicated Survivor is such contrived horse manure...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Declan Ganley posted this tweet yesterday highlighting tweets posted at him using photoshopped images mocking him & others for their religious beliefs.

https://twitter.com/declanganley/status/991113352163282944

Now lets reverse the roles a bit imagine if a someone a public figure of the islamic faith had similar stuff tweeted at them being mocked for religious beliefs. chances are some left wing groups would be going on about so called " Islamophobia " "hate speech" etc, but when catholic beliefs are mocked most people don,t care- Im not offended by the photoshopped images, what I do hate is double standards with some people would be crying " hate speech" if islam was mocked but silent when non islamic beliefs are mocked.

Says more about the puerile depths that the level of debate has sunk to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

"Just because you are offended it doesn't mean you are right" - Ricky Gervais from Humanity

Advertisement