Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who else is a 'Internet expert'?

Options
  • 26-08-2003 8:05am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was watching TV3* this morning and some guy comes on called John and they called him a 'internet expert'.
    They basically had a chat about where to find school books on-line and gave out a few sites, nothing breath taking or anything.

Anyway at the end of the show they give out his site, john.ie.
    Just had a quick luck and

John Beckett is 22 years old and has been using the Internet since about 1994. He has vast experience with a wide range of Internet technologies, & has worked in a number of technology compaines, from Planet Web Cyber Cafe to Gateway.

And he created some webdesign company, that makes half the people on boards 'Internet Experts'
    You can now all put that on your CV lads

;)

Ok I know its TV3, but they'd want to watch where they spread there bull ****.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

He also designed the Ryanair.com website when he was 17. I'd imagine he's expert enough.

http://www.netbackpacker.com/DisplayArticle.asp?articleid=149

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Expert might be too strong a word but he seem's to know his stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok we can call him a web design expert (or someone who just got lucky) but nothing more..

To be honest you can't even review the websites on TV3 properly from what I've seen, the john.ie is also very poor on content

His review of websites is poor in that he just has links and no actualy text about the sites
    His review of hardware is piss poor because all he has setup is a image and a link to the O2 website (www.02.ie/xda)

So he may be able to design a website but he's no expert on the internet.
    Fair juice to him for what he's done none the less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I want to know who he sucked off to get that domain-name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Kali
    I want to know who he sucked off to get that domain-name.
    heh ... great minds think alike .... that is EXACTLY what I was thinking ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

he put alot of hard work into the hardware reviewsgreat link to the o2 site brutal

to get a domain name like John.ie simply go to http://www.cro.ie and register a company in your name,it costs about €30 once you have this you can get the .ie domain for any name once you have a company number in that name.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He must have sucked off a hell of alot of people for that domain alright, been thinking that from the very beginning..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Sposs
    to get a domain name like John.ie simply go to http://www.cro.ie and register a company in your name,it costs about €30 once you have this you can get the .ie domain for any name once you have a company number in that name.

Afaik you cant register a company under such a generic name, a business/trading name yes (turns out there are two businesses called John) a whois reveals the IEDR have him down as a Sole Trader.

He might be able to code the Ryanair website but he sure can't code john.ie
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.john.ie

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Seriously lads, ye really sound like a bunch of bitch's, aren't ye all just a bit jelous.
    The fact is that most of us could do what he has done but we didn't, thats the
    difference, its not how well he can code or how much he knows, its the fact that at
    17 he had the balls to bid to design website as big as Ryanair.com, and get it too.
    And then at 22 to get on TV3 as their internet expert. I say good luck to the guy, I
    wish I had his business head.

As for getting john.ie, there are loads of free .ie domains (frank.ie, pat.ie, liam.ie
    and they are just the first 3 I tried). IE domains are not like .com, you need to prove
    you have a right to the name, either your name or a company name. I can't just go
    out and register msn.ie becase I don't have any right to that name. In .com all you
    need is about $50 and if its free you can have it, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

I say fair play to him I remember hearing about him all along as he is my age and a friend of mine knows him, or something like that. Granted he designed the original Ryanair website but that was drastically different to what is there now and it has been redone since.

Still fair play, lucky lttle B0770x

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

John Beckett is 22 years old and has been using the Internet since about 1994. He has vast experience with a wide range of Internet technologies, & has worked in a number of technology compaines, from Planet Web Cyber Cafe to Gateway.

I've got virtually the same background without the business stuff. Worked in IBM, EHSS and now enterprise content management systems. Don't think I'm any less of an expert than this guy cos I didnt bid for Ryanair.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Does anyone remember the orginal Ryanair site, or what Ryanair is famous for. I know some one whom worked for them, and she said they only they care about is safty in the air. Everything else can go to pot. The orginal site was the same. But hey, he got on TV3, thats so hard to do....oh, no its not. They are dying for guests, bloody muppet channel.

Sorry lads, ye still sound like bitches.

I also have just as much expertiese as this guy, but fact is I haven't got of my ass
    and done anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Most 14 year olds now can design and code web sites as well as anyone i know in the business.
    This guy has a business head too if he has done what is written in this thread.
    Web designers are 10 a penny but being able to rise to the top is what his talent is.
    I say fair play to him. He must be much more than a web designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by padraigmyers

I also have just as much expertiese as this guy, but fact is I haven't got of my ass
    and done anything about it.

and even if you did you probably still wouldnt get anywhere... in good old Ireland its all about who you know. What you know comes into it of course but isnt really as important. "John.ie's" daddy might know a guy that knows someone thats fairly high up in ryanair and was told "ohh my friends friends son could make your website". It happens on a smaller scale, so why not with big business? :p

Too skeptical really....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: muppet

Originally posted by Mac daddy
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: muppet

:rolleyes: :cool: muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I think the man should be congratulated tbh. I think he was on TV3 before, being interviewed about his making of the RyanAir site. But he didnt do it alone, he had help from another chap.

Fair fucks to him

Most 14 year olds now can design and code web sites as well as anyone i know in the business

DaithiSurfer, what business are you in ? It sure as hell isn't IT if your making a statement like that.

• Advertisement

need is about $50 and if its free you can have it, no questions asked.

You can buy about 10 .com domains for that price,Just so you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Anyone can design a webpage. Its not hard. However it is hard to design a good webpage. Personally his site doesnt stand out, its not bad but certainly not good.

But fair play he got some big sites so honestly it probably wont matter how good his sites are. If you can say you created ryanair.com people will assume you have some talent :)

People ask others to build websites for them because they cant... they lack the knowledge on how to do this. Therefore if a large corporation like Ryanair say to some other place yes he did design our site over some guy who designed argus-rentacar.com who do you think they will go with ?

I'm in IT.
    Most Web-designers and programers have higher regards for their skills than they should have.
    I have seriously seen far better sites written by 14 year olds than have been written by teams of experienced web-developers.
    You need a lot more than good IT skills to become succesful with your own web-design company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Does adrenalin.ie do anything for anybody else other than weird stuff? I don't see any links, and when I hover over any text it goes bold (and using <a> instead of a <span> or <div>?)

This is in MozillaFirebird and Konqueror. Can't check in IE for obvious reasons.

"Internet expert" is a hilarious title to be honest, but that kind of vagueness is to be expected of television. That TV3 show isn't renowned for only having techie views, after all.

PS:
    Launched Netscape 4.7, found a navbar, and weird layout bugs. IE only page from the looks of things. Great advertisement for the business :)

Below are details of some of our more high profile clients:

Ryanair Plc. 
    Gateway Plc. 
    Power Leisure Plc. (Paddy Power) 
    McInerney Plc. 
    Western Wireless Corporation Plc. 
    Allianz, Church & General Plc. 
    Nissan 
    Omniplex 
    Avoca.com 
    Bank of Ireland 
    Blackstar.co.uk 
    Circle Network Ltd. 
    Mail.ie 
    The Competition Authority 
    Irish Special Olympics Gym Team 
    Screen Traveller (Oman & Saudi Arabia) 
    Positivity.com 
    Swordlestown Stud 
    Whitney, Moore & Keller Solicitors

Thats taken from there client list. It doesnt matter how good or bad there designs are. If you have a client list like that people assume you know what your doing.

Thanks for making my point damnyanks.
    A web business is not just about your own web-design skills.
    Its about your ability to bring home the bacon too.
    Looks like this guy is well able to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Fair fecks to him.
    His company designed BoI's site aswell...?
    The kid must be worth a fair bit by now.

Well even though I posted it :p

I'd doubt he designed the actual sites... maybe he did I dont know.

What I do know is those companies do have IT departments.

Supposidly IT Departments do IT work :)

I think at most maybe he did some scripting if even. But I was just proving the point:)

Banks usually have large enough IT departments. Allianz are like the biggest insurance crowd in the world.

I take the list with a pinch of salt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Fair juice to him for what he's done none the less

What's fair juice? I thought it was "fair dues".

I reckon that anyone who is knocking him is definately jealous. Especially if you work with computers- you're just jealous that a kid is more sucessful than you'll ever be at IT, or whatever other generic computer job you have.
    I think it's great what he's done. Am I jealous? Yeah. Do I hold it against him and slag him because of petty jealousy? No.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Most 14 year olds now can design and code web sites as well as anyone i know in the business.

Actually I believe that 'should' read

Most 14 year olds think they can design and code web sites as well as anyone in the business

:p

Advertisement