Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Cazale wrote: »
    At 58.7% I think a few drops of water would have opened it lovely and brought those orchard fruit notes more to the fore. I only had a 50ml sample so drank it as it is.

I did that,and maybe added too much water which totally destroyed the sample i had.I'll try again soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I swore to myself I'd take a break from buying new bottles, but I've been seeing ads for Dingle and Sliabh Liag (especially the Red Silkie) and I'm tempted by both. What would people recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I swore to myself I'd take a break from buying new bottles, but I've been seeing ads for Dingle and Sliabh Liag (especially the Red Silkie) and I'm tempted by both. What would people recommend?

Buy both?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Does anyone have the Bushmills hot sauce whiskey sour recipe on hand? I misplaced my leaflet.
    I'm thinking of experimenting with a few different whiskies tonight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Does anyone have the Bushmills hot sauce whiskey sour recipe on hand? I misplaced my leaflet.
    I'm thinking of experimenting with a few different whiskies tonight

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115785795&postcount=8453

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Still not opened my bottle of Blue Spot from the initial release. Glad to hear people are liking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I was talking to a mate yesterday and we were chatting away and of course whiskey came up, asked what he should get next. Gave himself 150 to lump on a couple of bottles...

So I suggested that he get the following, which he has just sent on to me now to tease...
    539713.jpeg

He also grabbed a Writer's Tears Copper Pot.

The jealousy knows no bounds at the minute.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Felexicon wrote: »
    Buy both?

Maybe. I'm not supposed to be spending frivolously on myself this month, so €114 plus the cost of two deliveries seems steep. :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Which Dingle?, I've found that buying into bottle splits is a great way to try stuff out and not end up with a nearly full bottle lying idle...

Always happy to swap samples too if I have it open.

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Which Dingle?, I've found that buying into bottle splits is a great way to try stuff out and not end up with a nearly full bottle lying idle...

Always happy to swap samples too if I have it open.

The Pot Still (3rd release and 4th release) are just under €90, and the Single Malt Batch 5 is about €70. I was hoping people here had sampled them before and might point me towards one in particular. :) Alas, most of my friends don't live nearby these days so bottle splits aren't an option.

The Pot Still (3rd release and 4th release) are just under €90, and the Single Malt Batch 5 is about €70. I was hoping people here had sampled them before and might point me towards one in particular. :) Alas, most of my friends don't live nearby these days so bottle splits aren't an option.

I've had all of those, my pick of the Dingle would be Single Malt batch 5.
    Their pot stills are still a bit young imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

No shame in drinking this tonight....one can't be drinking single malts all the time ,unless unlimited bankroll.Impressed,although would prefer black bush,or Jameson black barrel.

No shame in drinking this tonight....one can't be drinking single malts all the time ,unless unlimited bankroll.Impressed,although would prefer black bush,or Jameson black barrel.

Nice, the black bush is also a great drop, underrated imo and I always have a bottle on the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yeah ,Id LIKE to be drinking single malts all the time but once again find myself pausing for thought at what now seems to be a minimum €19 a week habit /hobby .I guess drinking slower is the only option other than quitting .My last Bushmills White Label which the lads above rightly recommend as THE starting point for ‘basic Irish ‘ didn’t see a sixth day :-( While this is right on the limit (or a fair bit over ?!) for recommended units per day AND the relaxing effect of alcohol can have a positive mental health effect it’s the financial side of it that most concerns me ...AT LEAST a grand a year ( I know people will easily spend multiples of that on cars , sports events etc but ‘still’ ....)The shock of seeing prices return to full RRP after Christmas doesn’t help .Anyway I will probably be back in a matter of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

It can be an expensive hobby alright. Re the limits, i think the recommended weekly limits for men is 17units and 11 units for women. A bottle of whiskey at 40%abv is 24 units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Had a few more whiskeys over the weekend. Glenfarclas 25 and Blantons single barrel. I thought they were both nice but the Glenfarclas for me was a bit slight for what I expected for that age bracket. Again the Blantons was really good but I don’t know if it lives up to its near mythical hype.

That’s me now for a couple of months. A close family member is facing into a two-month diet/fitness regime which includes no alcohol. Nothing serious to worry about but something I’m going to support by doing it with them. I’ve a Bushmills 21 deconstruction coming up in February which I’m going to do but apart from that I’m going to pause the whiskey till after St Patricks day. I’ll still post here and read up about it but I’ll be observer only. Should be an interesting two months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Can be hard to justify constant tipples of the nicer ones alright, or can be expensive! I've got a bottle of Bushmills honey and a Bushmills 10yr single malt, love both but been trying to reserve them for now and again. Week to week I like a glass of Jameson. Started a few bourbons recently too, got a bottle of Woodford reserve which I've taken a liking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Can be hard to justify constant tipples of the nicer ones alright, or can be expensive! I've got a bottle of Bushmills honey and a Bushmills 10yr single malt, love both but been trying to reserve them for now and again. Week to week I like a glass of Jameson. Started a few bourbons recently too, got a bottle of Woodford reserve which I've taken a liking to.

I like the Woodford but I think the Buffalo Trace is more my cup of tea. Lots of vanilla. It’s gorgeous.

Had a few more whiskeys over the weekend. Glenfarclas 25 and Blantons single barrel. I thought they were both nice but the Glenfarclas for me was a bit slight for what I expected for that age bracket. Again the Blantons was really good but I don’t know if it lives up to its near mythical hype.

I have the Glenfarclas 25 there myself and haven't had a chance to get to it. Might be a nice one to enjoy the Super Bowl build up with.
    That’s me now for a couple of months. A close family member is facing into a two-month diet/fitness regime which includes no alcohol. Nothing serious to worry about but something I’m going to support by doing it with them. I’ve a Bushmills 21 deconstruction coming up in February which I’m going to do but apart from that I’m going to pause the whiskey till after St Patricks day. I’ll still post here and read up about it but I’ll be observer only. Should be an interesting two months!

Fair dues. As I have said elsewhere, I won't be engaging in this dry madness next year until Feb (to Paddy's Day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,257 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some more presents:
    * Midleton Pot Still Miniature Set
    * Hyde Miniature Set
    * West Cork Miniature Set

So far from the Hyde set I've tried the
    * Hyde No.6 President’s Reserve, a blended, double wood finished whiskey,
    * Hyde No.5 The Áras Cask a burgundy cask finished single grain

Not really standing out for me, given the full price bottles RRP at €50, compared with comparable whiskies such as The Whistler, Gelstons.

https://ie.irishmalts.com/blended/hyde-irish-whiskey-gift-pack

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anyone got an opinion on the Tesco special reserve 12 year old Irish single malt? Good price at around 35 quid.

Anyone got an opinion on the Tesco special reserve 12 year old Irish single malt? Good price at around 35 quid.

There's a review here which I'd largely agree with i.e. the slightly harsh woody finish - for similar price range I'd prefer Teeling Small Batch, Lambay Small Batch or Slane:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=112842467&postcount=4467

I took to blending it 4:1 with Roe & Co and I think the blend was nicer than either of the originals! And I'm a big fan of Roe & Co.

Or if you're in a Supervalu that stock this - the Tullamore Dew rum cask finish:
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-irish-whiskey-tullamore-dew-xo-rum-cask-70-cl-/p-1727631000

This is more a one to avoid, got a sample of Proclamation Blended Irish Whiskey and though it was a disappointment.
    RRP is €30 but didn't stand out at all versus a basic blended whiskey.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-irish-whiskey-proclamation-blended-70-cl-/p-1719292000

I wrote that linked review and had a couple bottles of the Tesco Finest Single Malt .It only went up in my estimation over time .If you want pure red grape squeezing sherry bomb Black Bush on steroids go for the Sexton but the Tesco Finest SM has a bit more complexity /range of flavours ...If you stuck both in front of me now Id grab the Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

odyssey06 wrote:
    This is more a one to avoid, got a sample of Proclamation Blended Irish Whiskey and though it was a disappointment. RRP is €30 but didn't stand out at all versus a basic blended whiskey.

Same people behind Grace O'Malley which is hit and miss too.

Same people behind Grace O'Malley which is hit and miss too.

Interesting. Didnt realise when I was ordering theres a connection. I also got sample of the GOM rum cask finish.
    Must open that next for comparison and to compare to the Tullamore Dew rum cask finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I really like it. Not a great one for tasting notes myself, but I know what I like. Then again, thats most whiskey....
    My theory is that it's the same stuff as was in the original limited West Cork Sherry finish offering. Sourced Cooley I'm speculating, but both 12yr single malt, 43% and both PX finished if I remember right? Don't have the Tesco bottle to hand to confirm.
    I really liked that bottling when it was about. Think that was running about €50.

dos29 wrote: »
    I really like it. Not a great one for tasting notes myself, but I know what I like. Then again, thats most whiskey....
    My theory is that it's the same stuff as was in the original limited West Cork Sherry finish offering. Sourced Cooley I'm speculating, but both 12yr single malt, 43% and both PX finished if I remember right? Don't have the Tesco bottle to hand to confirm.
    I really liked that bottling when it was about. Think that was running about €50.

Earlier West Cork was fab but the latest ‘Sherry finish ‘ is really not my cuppa

2011abc wrote: »
    Earlier West Cork was fab but the latest ‘Sherry finish ‘ is really not my cuppa

Haven't tried the latest version yet. I suppose the fact it's NAS, it's hard to say how much younger than the 12 it is, and possibly was distilled in Skibb rather than sourced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

An extremely overhyped bourbon..and about the only use I can find for it tbh

• Advertisement

CWS have the wonderful Knappogue Castle 12 Year Old Barolo Cask Finish on offer at €75 (Was €90.00) if someone is looking for a special bottle a little off the beaten track. It's very different to the regular 12 year old but if you have tried their 14 & 16 year old offerings and enjoyed them would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,614 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

An extremely overhyped bourbon..and about the only use I can find for it tbh

I thought it said Fool proof at first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone recommend a really good Irish whiskey as a retirement gift for a colleague, around the €100-€150 mark

Anyone recommend a really good Irish whiskey as a retirement gift for a colleague, around the €100-€150 mark

Might be one for Dubs only - not saying this is the best whiskey you can get for that price range, but I really liked it (reminded me a little of Barry Crockett) and as a retirement gift think you can get it with free Tuath tasting glass.
    https://thedld.com/irish-whiskey/single-malt/the-liberties-whiskey-murder-lane-13-yo-single-malt/

Or you could get an bottle of Red Breast 15 with their name engraved:
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Engrave-Midleton-Family-Whiskey/redbreast-15-year-old-single-pot-still

Red breast 12yo cask strength
    Bushmills 16yo
    Yellow Spot
    Green spot Chateau Montelena
    Method & Madness Hungarian Oak

My choices for 75-100 and in that order.
    But there are many, many more and you'll get loads of suggestions

Edit..I forgot about the Teeling Renaissance series 18yo
    It comes in a case and a nice looking bottle.. about 140 in my local

Red Spot fits nicely into that bracket at about €130.

Red breast 12yo cask strength
    Bushmills 16yo
    Yellow Spot
    Green spot Chateau Montelena
    Method & Madness Hungarian Oak

My choices for 75-100 and in that order.
    But there are many, many more and you'll get loads of suggestions

Edit..I forgot about the Teeling Renaissance series 18yo
    It comes in a case and a nice looking bottle.. about 140 in my local

Before I even read this I was gonna say RB 12 CS.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

dos29 wrote: »
    Red Spot fits nicely into that bracket at about €130.

Far too expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Meant to ask this a while ago, after the BWW scots whisky tasting.

Does anyone have any recommendations that would be similar to any of the below?:

Kilchoman small batch release (48.3%)
    Longmorn 15yr (45%)
    Springbank 10yr (46%)
    Bunnahabain 11yr port pipe finish 2017 (55%)

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Far too expensive for what it is.

Possibly. To be honest, I hadn't seen any bad reviews, and had put down my own tasting of a sample as it possibly being too complex for me to see it's full appeal!
    Another suggestion based on a sample tonight, WD O'Connell PX 18 cask strength. Unreal.
    €140 for 500ml bottle is saucy though...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

I remember reading once a post (it may have been on another website) that Midleton Barry Crockett was overrated and that there is a JJ Corry expression around 1/3 of the price and almost as tasty.

Has anyone else seen this post, and happen to know which JJ Corry is being referred to?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Leinster90 wrote: »
    I remember reading once a post (it may have been on another website) that Midleton Barry Crockett was overrated and that there is a JJ Corry expression around 1/3 of the price and almost as tasty.

Has anyone else seen this post, and happen to know which JJ Corry is being referred to?

That's The Gael 2. Haven't tried it myself, find their prices a little outside of my budget. Will wait til I can get a glass in a pub someday.

Leinster90 wrote: »

Yeah ,I said that .Wouldnt consider it sage advice ,only been a whiskey fan for last half decade of my 40s or less(hated it before that -a Teeling Single Malt sample in airport converted me )

.Gael 2 500ml bottle for 60 euro ,the distillery was doing two for 100 with 7.50 postage last year .
    Its good stuff alright Gael 2 .It definitely reminded me of Barry Crockett which Ive had a few times in the set of 4 minis for 35 euro.
    I reckon its probably my all time favourite along with Teeling Brabazon 2 (first bottling ) (this sherry bomb is more seductive than the cask strength Aberlour A'bunadh and Glenfarclas 105)
    So yeah the best all round whiskey under 100 in my opinion ,Gael 2.A hell of a lot going on in it .But 'light' not sherry bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

2011abc wrote: »
    Yeah ,I said that .Wouldnt consider it sage advice ,only been a whiskey fan for last half decade of my 40s or less(hated it before that -a Teeling Single Malt sample in airport converted me )

.Gael 2 500ml bottle for 60 euro ,the distillery was doing two for 100 with 7.50 postage last year .
    Its good stuff alright Gael 2 .It definitely reminded me of Barry Crockett which Ive had a few times in the set of 4 minis for 35 euro.
    I reckon its probably my all time favourite along with Teeling Brabazon 2 (first bottling ) (this sherry bomb is more seductive than the cask strength Aberlour A'bunadh and Glenfarclas 105)
    So yeah the best all round whiskey under 100 in my opinion ,Gael 2.A hell of a lot going on in it .But 'light' not sherry bomb

Many thanks, and your taste buds must be more developed than mine. I’ll look into getting a sample.

JJ Corry.. is this the one ?

• Advertisement

JJ Corry.. is this the one ?

Pretty sure that's batch 1. You want. https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/JJ%20Corry%20The%20Gael%20Batch%202?search=gael

irish_goat wrote: »

When I scrolled further down the page it said
    "Autumn 2019 Edition"... might give a call in and see for myself

When I scrolled further down the page it said
    "Autumn 2019 Edition"... might give a call in and see for myself

Autumn 2019 is Batch 2 but the breakdown of the blend is Batch 1 (assuming it's the Castle offy you're looking at). Probably best to give them a buzz yeah.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Autumn 2019 is Batch 2 but the breakdown of the blend is Batch 1 (assuming it's the Castle offy you're looking at). Probably best to give them a buzz yeah.

I'll be passing that way soon, I'll drop in and report back ;)

https://ie.irishmalts.com/blended/jj-corry-the-gael-batch-2-50cl

This is where I got my first one .I remember being sick it was a 500ml bottle and not 700ml (not knowing of the existence of these beasts in my innocence .)After I tasted it I felt much happier .By the way I see that 'Unqtious' (sp?) mouth feel is the trade description of 'angel tears on your tongue '

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement