Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Hogzy wrote: »
    Heard nothing but good things!!! Some gift to be fair!

yes he was moving back to the states,could not take it with him,so suppose i was the doner..lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Saw the Waterford Ratheadon go for €260 in A Facebook auction tonight. The hype around the Waterford releases is crazy.
    Still waiting for my bottles to be delivered but I doubt the hype and those types of prices are justified. At least not until the liquid has matured a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    Pop in to 1661 in Dublin when it reopens (they do sell food so it might be Monday) and they have some fantastic poitins. Which is new make

There's one that's either 3 or 6 month aged which basically tastes like Black Bush; which is a bit perturbing when its nearly entirely clear.

If it was labelled as Irish Poitín, legally, it can't be aged for more than 10 weeks.
    The technical file for Irish Poitín is bonkers and is actually all about poitín not being whiskey.

Also, if it is to be aged, it must contain a non cereal ingredient (sugar beet molasses or potato) and the labelling can contain no reference to casks, maturation or ageing.
    Basically, you can say it was stored/held in wood for (x) weeks.

X cannot be greater than 10.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

actuar90 wrote: »
    Saw the Waterford Ratheadon go for €260 in A Facebook auction tonight. The hype around the Waterford releases is crazy.
    Still waiting for my bottles to be delivered but I doubt the hype and those types of prices are justified. At least not until the liquid has matured a lot more

It was always going to happen, look at the dingle craic. Im expecting much more killings over the Pilgrimage bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it was labelled as Irish Poitín, legally, it can't be aged for more than 10 weeks.
    The technical file for Irish Poitín is bonkers and is actually all about poitín not being whiskey.

Also, if it is to be aged, it must contain a non cereal ingredient (sugar beet molasses or potato) and the labelling can contain no reference to casks, maturation or ageing.
    Basically, you can say it was stored/held in wood for (x) weeks.

X cannot be greater than 10.

In my ignorance, I assumed that there was no technical file. And that it operated on a sort of exclusion basis.
    It everything before 3 years was classed as poitin.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    In my ignorance, I assumed that there was no technical file. And that it operated on a sort of exclusion basis.
    It everything before 3 years was classed as poitin.

There's a very strange technical file that's really about whiskey.

There's a very strange technical file that's really about whiskey.

Just read it there. A bit odd alright.

The aged poitin must contain at one non-cereal ingredient seems to only be there to really exclude whiskey mash bills being used in aged poitin.

If you drop the “Irish” part of the name, can you suddenly do what ever you want?
    If not, was us poitin aged for 9 months called.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

actuar90 wrote: »
    Saw the Waterford Ratheadon go for €260 in A Facebook auction tonight.

What? Really? I know there isn't loads of it available. But I paid 75 for my bottle, and I only thought to buy it as I saw it on the counter at the off licence.

The aged poitin must contain at one non-cereal ingredient seems to only be there to really exclude whiskey mash bills being used in aged poitin.

If you drop the “Irish” part of the name, can you suddenly do what ever you want?

As I understand it, yes, the GI only refers to Irish poitín.
    I don't think poitín, generally, is a recognised product anywhere so it would need an official descriptor like, Spirit drink or Grain spirit drink on the label if it wasn't labelled as "Irish poitín".

As I understand it, yes, the GI only refers to Irish poitín.
    I don't think poitín, generally, is a recognised product anywhere so it would need an official descriptor like, Spirit drink or Grain spirit drink on the label if it wasn't labelled as "Irish poitín".

Does it need a recognised official descriptor on the label? Can it not just be poitin, taxes as an “other spirit” and not be Irish poitin, whiskey, gin, or brandy, etc

Similar to any number of spirits that are there own thing. Like southern comfort, jager, or fireball.
    Technically I think they’d all be liqueurs. Struggling to think of a plain spirit other the mainstream ones

• Advertisement

Does it need a recognised official descriptor on the label? Can it not just be poitin, taxes as an “other spirit” and not be Irish poitin, whiskey, gin, or brandy, etc

Similar to any number of spirits that are there own thing. Like southern comfort, jager, or fireball.
    Technically I think they’d all be liqueurs. Struggling to think of a plain spirit other the mainstream ones

As I understand it, every alcoholic beverage needs to state on the label what it is.
    Southern Comfort is a liqueur, as you stated.
    I'd imagine Jaeger would come under bitter tasting spirit drinks/bitter or else liqueur.
    Everything has to fit in a category.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is it a revenue doc?
    Can you throw the link up here?

Be interested in having a goo.

As I understand it, every alcoholic beverage needs to state on the label what it is.
    Southern Comfort is a liqueur, as you stated.
    I'd imagine Jaeger would come under bitter tasting spirit drinks/bitter or else liqueur.
    Everything has to fit in a category.
    https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Reg110_2008.pdf

I found the above. There’s 46 spirit categories.
    Irish Poitin is outside the categories under “other spirit drinks”.
    A section at the start suggests that other spirit drinks outside the categories are permitted as long as they comply with x, y, z. Which poitin would.
    I’m no expert, but seems aged poitin can be sold as “other spirit” as long as it’s not called “Irish Poitin.” Or call it Potcheen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Had some Velvet Cap whiskey last night.
    Quite nice and decent for the price point. 40 quid
    Some stout cask influence in it which gives a nice rounded finish.

I was supposed to get one of the launch tasting packs, but it never arrived, but joined on the live stream. Interesting story and will be good to see the whiskey they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

With all the chat of poitin I decided to try some Bunratty Irish Poteen I got as a present. Harsh enough but I didn't dislike it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cazale wrote: »
    With all the chat of poitin I decided to try some Bunratty Irish Poteen I got as a present. Harsh enough but I didn't dislike it.

I worked with a girl many years ago whose father made poitin. I had a lot of western seaboard friends so I'd tried lots of poitin over the years!

Her father's stuff was a work of art, a man who really knew his craft. She'd ask me if I wanted any if she was going home to West Cork for the weekend. £5 a bottle. Simpler times!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's still (get it?) a few making the good stuff.

An occasional Mojito with fresh mint and lots of ice is the best way to enjoy the holy water.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

There's still (get it?) a few making the good stuff.

An occasional Mojito with fresh mint and lots of ice is the best way to enjoy the holy water.

Nah. Give it to me neat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The event was interesting if a bit rambling. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy any of the three but I thought the Calvados was the best of them.
    I'm with you on the USP. They seem to be blending a lot of stuff (I don't think they answered where they were getting the distillate) and sticking it in different types of barrel.

I liked the Whistler Calvados cask finish so much I bought a bottle - wouldn't have taken a punt on it without the free sample though. I am a fan of calvados and cognac in general.

The oloroso sherry cask finish was nice but didn't stand out to me versus other sherry inflenced ones to justify its RRP.

The imperial stout cask finish didn't work for me at all. Wouldn't be much of a stout drinker but would much prefer the cheaper Jameson Caskmates Stout edition.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That doesn't have to follow any of the rules for poitín as it was continuously made prior to the rules being made up. It's flavoured ethanol.

Waterford are bottling another two farms. Ballymorgan and Sheestown. Going to get expensive quickly trying to keep up with their releases.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've been drinking a Redbreast 12 over the past few days.

I went through a phase of being into Irish whisky, mainly Powers bottlings, Green Spot, Redbreast and so on ... But if I'm honest I would not generally default to buying Irish these days. It's nothing to do with a snobbery about our own produce (If anything, I tend to support local businesses as far as I can) but just down to my taste. Whatever way you want to cobble together what Irish whisky's 'identity' is, be it based on pot still or not, whatever that looks like just doesn't usually do it for me.

Anyway, after saying that, have to say I forgot how moreish Redbreast 12 is. Of course it's a classic. There's something about the nose that has kept me going back a few evenings in a row as I watch Gangs of London (Enjoyment marred only by the wife's ongoing theatrical horror at all the torture-murders).

Waterford are bottling another two farms. Ballymorgan and Sheestown. Going to get expensive quickly trying to keep up with their releases.

And 1.2 bottles of Bannow and Ballykilcavan. They have 4 bottles going to the US in Sept as well.

Anyway, after saying that, have to say I forgot how moreish Redbreast 12 is. Of course it's a classic. There's something about the nose that has kept me going back a few evenings in a row as I watch Gangs of London (Enjoyed marred only by the wife's ongoing theatrical horror at all the torture-murders).

If I could have nothing else Id be happy with 12 CS, just wish it was a bit cheaper

Rew wrote: »
    If I could have nothing else Id be happy with 12 CS, just wish it was a bit cheaper
    Is it expensive compared to other 12 yo’s?
    I imagine I’ll have a bottle or variation of it anyway around for some time.

Eyeing up a bottle of Starward tawny finish for my next purchase. Won a double gold medal World spirit awards. High praise for a four year old whiskey. But the price is high at $120aud(€73).

But I’m hoping it’s an exercise in not getting hung up on Age statements. Not all years are equal. This was aged in 100L cask. Which will impart flavour much quicker than a 200-500L cask. Tempted.

Is it expensive compared to other 12 yo’s?
    I imagine I’ll have a bottle or variation of it anyway around for some time.

Eyeing up a bottle of Starward tawny finish for my next purchase. Won a double gold medal World spirit awards. High praise for a four year old whiskey. But the price is high at $120aud(€73).

But I’m hoping it’s an exercise in not getting hung up on Age statements. Not all years are equal. This was aged in 100L cask. Which will impart flavour much quicker than a 200-500L cask. Tempted.

I'm drooling looking at that Starward. Looks very interesting.

Rew wrote:
    And 1.2 bottles of Bannow and Ballykilcavan. They have 4 bottles going to the US in Sept as well.

I'd love a sample set of 100-200ml to try them side by side. I asked them before and they said they have no plans to do it unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I'd love a sample set of 100-200ml to try them side by side. I asked them before and they said they have no plans to do it unfortunately.

I have 100ml of first 3 and 50ml of the pilgrimage coming, fascinated to see what the differences are (or even if my uneducated palate can tell the deference).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement