Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Lee strikes me as one who doesn't like the sport more than most but does it as a means to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Homelander wrote: »
    That was bizarre from Kevin Lee. Didn't even address it afterwards or try play it off as oxygen deprived or panic induced subconscious reflex or anything.
    It's very likely that he was a little bit out of it from the choke.
    There's no way he'd actually tap and deny it like that. He knows the cameras are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

UFC Fight Night 171 Jacksonville

Main Card

Anthony Smith v Glover Teixeira
    Ben Rothwell v Ovince St. Preux
    Alexander Hernandez v Drew Dober
    Ricky Simon v Ray Borg
    Karl Roberson v Marvin Vettori

Preliminary Card

Andrei Arlovski v Philipe Lins
    Michael Johnson v Thiago Moises
    Sijara Eubanks v Sarah Moras
    Hunter Azure v Brian Kelleher

Prelims start est Midnight and Main Card est 2am

After all the plentiful excitement at UFC 249 just hours ago many tuning in for this? Might have a nosy on the prelims on FightPass, not going to fight hard to stay up. Can't see how Anthony Smith doesn't outpoint Glover all night long but everyone's said that about Glover for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Roberson Vettori is off. Roberson had issues making weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Andrei Arlovski really needs to hang them up, another legend who is just way past it. 3 wins in his last 13 fights. I hate to see the greats go this way.

Plenty fighters stay competitive in their later years, but Arlovski is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Homelander wrote: »
    Andrei Arlovski really needs to hang them up, another legend who is just way past it. 3 wins in his last 13 fights. I hate to see the greats go this way.

Plenty fighters stay competitive in their later years, but Arlovski is not one of them.

Hard to hang em' up when you're making 300k show money for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I think I'll stay up for the prelims and catch the main card tomorrow.

It's great having such a quick turnaround, and then we go again on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Has there ever been a fighter in UFC history with a worse run who hasn't been cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,639 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Has this started yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Has there ever been a fighter in UFC history with a worse run who hasn't been cut?

Mental, I actually didn't realize how bad it was until I looked just now.

I'd say it's because he would be a decent enough draw for any other promo and the HW division in the ufc is so weak.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Has this started yet?

12 bells

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

DrPhilG wrote: »

penn

villaneuva has some chin on him sherman looking great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Azure left himself wide open for that all night

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Oh baby , God bless Dana and God bless the UFC giving us something to look forward too

Excellent fight between Morales and Benitez. They'll both be sore tomorrow with all the brutal kicks landed. Both in great condition, brutal pace all the way through that fight.

great fights so far

those fighters are so tough

morales could have a big future

Oh Michael Johnson, what were you at? Big mistake after dominating the first round. His leg gets caught on the ground and he turns his back to try and get out of it. Ends up submtting to an heel hook.

Arlovski got a bad kick in the cojones in the second round but still managed a decision win. He looked good tonight. I think Long can win a few fights, he just got outsmarted tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mic2727

St. Preux looks awful..... seems like he showed for a paycheck, doesnt want to be there.

• Advertisement

Glover is just unbelievable. Looked completely outmatched in the first round then started turning it around and destroyed Smith. Two 10-8 at worst rounds in 3 and 4 and stops him in the fifth. I don't think there should have been a fifth, corner should have stopped it on the stool

Smith's corner last night made El Cucuy's corner last Saturday look like Gaethje's. Absolute disgraceful and reckless stuff last night.

When your fighter is staring down at the ground and telling you "My teeth are falling out", you throw in the towel, do not send him back out. At least ask if he is OK.

Not a bit surprised though considering the coaches involved, unfortunately there's form there. Fair play to Glover for recognising the potential tragedy unfolding in front of him, not that it's your opponent's job to protect your health. Glover literally apologising and excusing himself to Smith as he beat the sh1t out of him.

That got dark and uncomfortable to watch, even as a Glover fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah that was some grim stuff altogether. Really bad. Kinda soured the event for me.

Reminded me of the Thomas Gifford controversy. Throwing in the towel needs to become more acceptable in the UFC.

I get fighters wanting to go out on their shield and all that, but there has to be a limit for everyone's sake.

Thomas Gifford springs to mind as I said already, but maybe Brian Ortega recently too, the recipients of brutally one-sided beatdowns.

But Anthony Smith handing his teeth to the ref, Glover apologizing, the way his corner ignored what he was saying..... was just a new low for me, a level of just....intolerable discomfort as a viewer.

Really not good.

Great fight card

Great wins for the older brigade arlovski, Ben and Tex

Smith fight was a tough watch, corner a disgrace and the breakneck pace early on was stupid against a durable guy like Tex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

mailburner wrote: »
    Great fight card

Great wins for the older brigade arlovski, Ben and Tex

Smith fight was a tough watch, corner a disgrace and the breakneck pace early on was stupid against a durable guy like Tex

Yes, I thought the corner was a disgrace, no thought for the fighters health, painful to watch..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

You'd have to feel sorry for Jason in this situation, iv watched the fight back a few times and each time Smith looked to be finished he responded to every prompt by Jason to either defend himself or show something to avoid the right being stopped.

Everytime Glover looked to have him finished he switched to grappling which didn't help either, Glover trying to be merciful as he put it could have had the opposite effect in hindsight, on a couple of occasions a few more punches would have left the ref no choice.

In My opinion the corner should have stopped the fight possibly after the third but 100% after the fourth when they seen Smith had no chance and lost his teeth. We really don't see the towel going in as often as it should in mma, some of these fights have so much heart they need protecting from themselves big time.

https://twitter.com/JasonHerzogMMA/status/1261423237394767874?s=19

And the quick turnaround continues! We are live again tonight.

I'm enjoying this. The 2 events over the last few days have been excellent. Let's hope it continues tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ASOT wrote: »
    You'd have to feel sorry for Jason in this situation, iv watched the fight back a few times and each time Smith looked to be finished he responded to every prompt by Jason to either defend himself or show something to avoid the right being stopped.

Everytime Glover looked to have him finished he switched to grappling which didn't help either, Glover trying to be merciful as he put it could have had the opposite effect in hindsight, on a couple of occasions a few more punches would have left the ref no choice.

In My opinion the corner should have stopped the fight possibly after the third but 100% after the fourth when they seen Smith had no chance and lost his teeth. We really don't see the towel going in as often as it should in mma, some of these fights have so much heart they need protecting from themselves big time.

https://twitter.com/JasonHerzogMMA/status/1261423237394767874?s=19

Tough spot for him. If he stopped it earlier, you'd have people crying why did he stop it early, he was defending himself etc. Bit of a no win situation.
    Shocking corner though, they need to learn to start throwing the towel in for fighters, as you said most have no quit in them.

Nice traditional finish there from Nascimento

• Advertisement

Out of boredom I stuck a last minute tenner on Cortney Casey to win by submission at 13/1. Delighted when she pulled off the armbar!

Gone for Elkins by KO/TKO here at 9/1.

2 quick enough finishes so far, let's keep the roll going!

Advertisement