03-05-2021, 15:14   #46
Fionn

Is there any hood designs/layouts online that might be useful or should I be looking at a manufactured solution?, was out the other day and couldn't see anything on the screen!
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 00:25   #47
peterwhit

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmoe View Post
I was gonna get something like those but then started to practice the hand launch and hand landing and my Mini 2 has now never really touched the ground at all! It's actually quiet easy to do but one word of warning is that in windy conditions it is not as easy to do and you need to be more careful.

Cheers,
M
Yup, hand launch and hand landing is the way to go. Unless you’ve got a really flat surface, the camera will probably touch the ground; and landing pads are a pain and not necessary (can only vouch for Air 2s takeoff & landing though). Obviously though be careful; I initially used a thick glove when trying it the first few times. Here’s a good video:

https://youtu.be/hLiOB3W9XtQ

I’m using Premiere to grade the 5.4K D-log footage, since that’s the NLE I know. I’d like to learn Resolve too, but FWICT premiere is better for multitrack editing.

Image is very clean; and if you scale down the 5.4K to a 4K timeline, super sharp.

Hopefully DJI can get the Air 2s retrospectively EU-classified, an issue I wasn’t aware of before I bought it! Still, two years is a long time in drone-land..
Thanks from:
05-05-2021, 00:26   #48
sheesh

Low winds tomorrow so might be a good day to be out
(2) thanks from:
11-05-2021, 21:29   #49
GottaGetGatt

Anyone into FPV drones,? thinking of getting into it. Downloaded the Sim from steam but its tough going with a console controller.
(2) thanks from:
13-05-2021, 12:15   #50
sheesh

looked up about them after that bowling alley video they are cool and look like they are more rugged and protected than the other types

Last edited by sheesh; 13-05-2021 at 13:25.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-05-2021, 15:02   #51
theothernt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheesh View Post
looked up about them after that bowling alley video they are cool and look like they are more rugged and protected than the other types
Quite the opposite. Most are DIY, will break far more easily due to how they fly, have far less fly time, etc.

Also, I really think most people a) won't be able to fly them and b) get bored after a few tries. Plus there are a lot less places you can fly them given how dangerous they are.

... the important thing to remember is that DJI drones basically fly themselves, have great cameras and transmission systems - FPV drones do not. There is a good reason why you never see them in public.
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2021, 16:50   #52
Keith186

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetGatt View Post
Anyone into FPV drones,? thinking of getting into it. Downloaded the Sim from steam but its tough going with a console controller.
I got Drone League Racing on PlayStation. Yes it is harder with a controller than full sized radio especially the throttle finesse control, but put in 20 hours practice and you'll notice the difference.

Just have a Tinyhawk 2 so far. Not sure where I'd get to fly a full sized one yet and would need more live practice before getting a bigger one.
Thanks from:
15-05-2021, 22:24   #53
fenris
Subscriber

DJI drones are basically stabilised camera platforms, control input from the remote is a suggestion that is then interpreted by the DJI system taking into account wind, programmed flight/stability parameters, legal factors, battery life remaining, obstacles etc. then the drone moves or doesn't as appropriate, that setup has a big weight and complexity penalty associated with providing the safety net and stability. The extra mass means that manouverability is reduced and any crash of a DJI drone will probably cause damage to the drone and possibly to whatever it hits, so a lot of the restrictions inherent in DJI systems are to minimise that risk.

Full FPV drones on the other hand are very barebones in terms of construction and features, no stabilised hover if you release the sticks, no obstacle avoidance, short battery life, but you do get massive speed and agility that people don't believe is real, full control and tuneability of the drone, freedom to mix and match components and a real in depth knowledge of lipo battery care and feeding 🙂
Smaller FPV drones are lightweight and agile, crashing generally doesn't break anything except maybe a prop if you are unlucky. The Tinyhawk Freestyle type or other 3" types are small enough to fly pretty much anywhere, car parks, pitches, abandoned buildings, industrial estates etc. you can unpack and be in the air within a couple of minutes of arrival (no waiting for GPS, software or flight databases to update), rip through a few packs and be out of there before anyone is the wiser.
It is definitely a "just do it" activity!
Bigger FPV drones (5" and up) need a bit more care, they are faster and heavier, big crashes break more parts, but you have more capability and can carry full GoPro or Insta360 type cameras.

I don't have the reflexes for racing, but love a bit of freestyle and cruising about.

I can drop a discord link if anyone wants for
our fairly active FPV group, lots of knowledge and expertise to be had there, regular meetups, much slagging 🙂

Last edited by fenris; 15-05-2021 at 23:14.
02-06-2021, 14:46   #54
Cerdito

The IAA have issued new rules for drone use in Dublin airspace:

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-sour...rsn=d57219f3_4

Height limit now 30m in the amber zone and 90m in the green zone.

https://imgur.com/gzx3hV9
Advertisement
02-06-2021, 17:11   #55
MackMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetGatt View Post
Check out fpv-ireland on facebook. You'll find out everything you need to know there.
Thanks from:
04-06-2021, 13:12   #56
TychoCaine

Send a message via ICQ to TychoCaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerdito View Post
The IAA have issued new rules for drone use in Dublin airspace:

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-sour...rsn=d57219f3_4

Height limit now 30m in the amber zone and 90m in the green zone.

https://imgur.com/gzx3hV9
Well that's just sh1te now, isn't it? I'm near Shannon and I basically have to drive 40 minutes before I can get somewhere I can fly at above 15m.
Thanks from:
04-06-2021, 13:16   #57
josip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheesh View Post
https://imgur.com/a/dyux4hB
drone fine small chip on one prop
Glad to read it was ok, reminded me of this term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...t_into_terrain
Thanks from:
06-06-2021, 08:55   #58
stuff.hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoCaine View Post
Well that's just sh1te now, isn't it? I'm near Shannon and I basically have to drive 40 minutes before I can get somewhere I can fly at above 15m.
IAA sold aerospace to MANA food drone delivery lol
06-06-2021, 10:24   #59
fenris
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff.hunter View Post
IAA sold aerospace to MANA food drone delivery lol
In fairness, it's probably more due to the international airport rather than Mana in Oranmore.
The new document is pretty good at explaining various restrictions like high ground making drones impinge on ILS glide slopes etc.
So complaining about restrictions around an airport is a bit like complaining about GAA matches in Croke park after buying a house beside it :-)
06-06-2021, 12:45   #60
Clareman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoCaine View Post
Really? I'm in Ennis and I haven't had a problem anywhere yet

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion