Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgian rugby - players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

Here is Emerging Georgia squad to face Crawshay's WRU President's XV

Props
    Zurab Julakidze (Lelo Saracens, 1994)
    Archil Bejiashvili (Locomotive Tbilisi, 1992)
    Nikoloz Khatiashvili (Aurillac/FRA, 1992)
    Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes/FRA, 1988 - 5 caps)

Hookers
    Badri Alkhazashvili (Lelo Saracens, 1995)
    Jaba Bregvadze (Kochebi Bolnisi, 1987 - 24 caps)

Locks
    Nodar Cheishvili (La Seyne/FRA - 1990)
    Sandro Koiava (Lelo Saracens, 1990)
    Otar Giorgadze (Aia Kutaisi, 1996)

Backrow
    Mikheil Gachechiladze (Carqueiranne-Hyères/FRA, 1990)
    Guram Shengelia (Jiki Gori, 1992)
    Givi Berishvili (Locomotive Tbilisi, 1987 - 18 caps)
    Vakhtang Amiranashvili (Armazi Tbilisi, 1994)
    Dachi Kopadze (Lelo Saracens, 1992)

Scrumhalves
    Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi Rustavi, 1993 - 16 caps)
    Sandro Mindiashvili (Lelo Saracens, 1991)

Flyhalves
    Revaz Jinchvelashvili (Aia Kutaisi, 1995 - 1 cap)
    Mamuka Ninidze (Jiki Gori, 1987 - 2 caps)

Centres
    Badri Liparteliani (Armazi Tbilisi, 1995)
    Giorgi Talakhadze (Lelo Saracens, 1994)
    Giorgi Pruidze (Aia Kutaisi, 1994)

Wingers
    Anzor Sichinava (Academy Tbilisi, 1995)
    Levan Gogolashvili (Kochebi Bolnisi, 1992)
    Ioseb Kikvadze (Aia Kutaisi, 1995)

Fullback
    Irakli Svanidze (Jiki Gori, 1996)

Players from the 2015 JWRT
    Jaba Bregvadze was the first choice at hooker for Georgia. He had a sick injury at his neck when he played for Toulouse, and just recovered from his injury, after more than 1 year without playing

Here is the Crawshay's WRU President's XV
    Gavin Dacey Pontypridd (Captain ), Geraint O'Driscoll (Newport), Jamie Davies (Neath), Elliot Frewen (Newport), Patrick Tapley (Bedford Blues), Llywarch Ap Myrddin (Newport), Dafydd Lockyer (Pontypridd), Matthew Jacobs (Llandovery), David Langdon (Ebbw Vale), Kieran Meek (Newbridge), Tom James (Neath), Justin James (Llanelli)
    Forwards: Lewis Smout (Cardiff), John Lavender (Ebbw Vale), Richard Wilkes (Bedwas), Huw Dowden (Pontypridd), Ross Davies (Doncaster Knights), Kieron Jenkins (Pontypridd), Damien Hudd (Ebbw Vale), Adam Brown (Newport), Ashley Sweet (Ebbw Vale), Dan Godfrey (Pontypridd), Deri Mattravers (Bedwas), Shaun Miles (Llandovery), Edward Siggery (Moseley), Rhys Shellard (Pontypridd)

2 games :
    2 June and 6 June

• Registered Users Posts: 24 neiliog93

Went to Georgia last year and my new friends rave about rugby on facebook. They're extremely proud of their recent victory in the recent World Rugby u-20 Trophy, hammering everyone, and their runner-up spot at the schoolboy European u-18 championship earlier this year (losing to France in the final but beating Ireland on penalties along the way). I got a lot of abuse for that one. Didn't have the heart to explain to them that the Irish u-18 team is cobbled together from schools' players with no professional training or experience of playing together!

They have a swanky new stadium and the game is perceived as more 'moral' or masculine than scoccer. A rich benefactor funds underage training schemes and helps pay for Milton Craig as head coach (who's really embraced the challenge by becoming quite fluent in Georgian!).

In my opinion, they arguably have the best depth in the world in the front-row. But even passably-interested Georgian rugby fans lament their lack of basic skills and how they're brought up in the Lelos tradition of physicality, rather than functional skills.

To answer your question about which is more popular, it's definitely rugby. Lelos is a bit like handball in Ireland, only a bit more common. It's a part of their culture and most rural villages play a few matches against each other at festivals a few times a year, but it has no proper structures and is nowhere near as popular as rugby now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I must say, I'm impressed by the life in this thread. Which is a credit to your enthusiasm for Georgian rugby croket. I'll be quite keen to watch the Georgian vs Argentinian pool match, I think this will be a good barometer of where Georgia stand. I think bringing in a NZ coach was a good idea, not much need to tell the forwards anything, but backplay no doubt can be improved. Based on the trends in world rugby, I expect Georgia to probably be in the top 10 Nations within the next few years. You're currently 14th, behind Japan, Tonga & Fiji with Scotland in 10th. I'd say a 3rd place finish in Pool C, with victories over Namibia and Tonga is very do-able, and who knows, on a really good day, a shock result over Los Pumas.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I must say, I'm impressed by the life in this thread. Which is a credit to your enthusiasm for Georgian rugby croket. I'll be quite keen to watch the Georgian vs Argentinian pool match, I think this will be a good barometer of where Georgia stand. I think bringing in a NZ coach was a good idea, not much need to tell the forwards anything, but backplay no doubt can be improved. Based on the trends in world rugby, I expect Georgia to probably be in the top 10 Nations within the next few years. You're currently 14th, behind Japan, Tonga & Fiji with Scotland in 10th. I'd say a 3rd place finish in Pool C, with victories over Namibia and Tonga is very do-able, and who knows, on a really good day, a shock result over Los Pumas.

Thanks Siwiwi!

2 georgian players will not play the RWC :

Loosehead prop Davit Khinchagishvili from Racing Metro (32 years old, 44 caps) announced his retirement from international rugby.
    Though, his last game for Georgia was in November 2013, he was often injured last two seasons
    526x297-thj.jpg

Hooker Irakli Natriashvili (31 years old, 40 caps) signed to Clermont as additional player during the RWC.
    He played for Brive from 2011 to 2013 but was seriously injured with a long recovery. He was back this season at Tulle in Federale1 (french third division) and did well so he found a Top14 contract but only for the duration of the RWC. I think he would have been be the third choice at hooker behind Mamukashvili (Sale Sharks) and Zhvania (Stade Français) for the RWC
    CGGTGRVW8AAAH4p.jpg

In other news,
    - Georgia forwards coach, the frenchman Didier Bes, signed to Clermont. This year he was Montpellier forwards coach, in addition to his job for Georgia. He will join Clermont after the RWC.

- loosehead prop Val Rapava-Ruskin (born 1992) won RFU Championship with Worcester. He started both legs of the final. A good prospect for the future

-

U20 Georgia WR Trophy Winners (Tribute Video)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

to really push on , Georgia will need to produce better quality backs - perhaps they should copy what the big guns do (NZ & England) and import a few islanders.
    I'm not getting cynical in my old age ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

thebaz wrote: »
    to really push on , Georgia will need to produce better quality backs - perhaps they should copy what the big guns do (NZ & England) and import a few islanders.
    I'm not getting cynical in my old age ;)

Or look closer to home and go with a few Ireland-ers. 3 year rule and all that. Maybe Leinster could spare a few backs...

Or look closer to home and go with a few Ireland-ers. 3 year rule and all that. Maybe Leinster could spare a few backs...

it's only quite recently that leinster have been mass producing quality backs - prior to 15 years ago , back when i played , quality back play in ireland and leinster was rare , Brendan Mullin stood out . Showing my age again ;)

Really BOD and D'arcy and Dennis Hickey led the way to where we are today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Georgian No. 8 Giorgi Chkhaidze scored the winning try for Lille yesterday in which saw them promoted to ProD2, 21-years old flanker Gio Sordia also played the last 15 minutes. The team is coached by former Georgian international Davit Bolgashvili, who if he stays in the role will become the first ever Georgian head coach in ProD2. Lille have serious money behind them and have been getting crowds in the thousands for home games which in the third tier is a great acheivement. With a Georgian head coach I expect them to sign a few more and with the rich investor and great infrastructure (18,000 seater stadium) to make a big push to the Top 14 within the next few years. This is great for rugby in northern France.

Aix the other team promoted to ProD2 have Georgian props Nika Pataraia and Giorgi Zakashvili as regular starters.

• Advertisement

Line up for the first Emerging Georgia game

1- Archil Bejiashvili (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    2- Jaba Bregvadze (Kochebi Bolnisi) - 24 caps
    3- Nikoloz Khatiashvili (Aurillac)
    4- Nodar Cheishvili (La Seyne)
    5- Sandro Koiava (Lelo Saracens)
    6- Givi Berishvili (capt, Locomotive Tbilisi) - 18 caps
    7- Dachi Kopadze (Lelo Saracens)
    8- Vakhtang Amiranashvili (Armazi Tbilisi)
    9- Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi Rustavi) - 16 caps
    10- Mamuka Ninidze (Jiki Gori) - 2 caps
    11- Ioseb Kikvadze (Aia Kutaisi)
    12- Giorgi Talakhadze (Lelo Saracens)
    13- Giorgi Pruidze (Aia Kutaisi)
    14- Irakli Gegenava (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    15- Levan Gogolashvili (Kochebi Bolnisi)

16- Giorgi Tedoradze (Universiteti Tbilisi)
    17- Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes) - 5 caps
    18- Zurab Julakidze (Lelo Saracens)
    19- Guram Shengelia (Jiki Gori)
    20- Mikheil Gachechiladze (Carqueiranne-Hyères)
    21- Sandro Mindiashvili (Lelo Saracens)
    22- Revaz Jinchvelashvili (Aia Kutaisi) - 1 cap
    23- Irakli Svanidze (Jiki Gori)
    24- Davit Papavadze (Jiki Gori)

Stumbled across this that all of the pack that played for Georgia in the winning World Cup Trophy side have been signed up with French clubs. Some got some very big club....

N. Neparidze- Clermont
    Melikidze- Stade France
    Kakabadze- Clermont
    M. Babunashvili- Tarbes
    Kvachadze- Aurillac
    Zoidze- Clermont
    Giorgadze- Clermont
    Gorgadze- Mont de marsan
    Tsutskiridze- Brive
    Papavadze - Stade

Didn't make it to the Squad but are U20s
    Gogoladze-Tarbes
    Javaxia- Lyon
    Giorgi Neparidze- Bordeaux
    Kharebava- La Rochelle

As of yet no backs got professional deals which is disapointing but hopefully a few get snapped up shortly.

Stumbled across this that all of the pack that played for Georgia in the winning World Cup Trophy side have been signed up with French clubs. Some got some very big club....

N. Neparidze- Clermont
    Melikidze- Stade France
    Kakabadze- Clermont
    M. Babunashvili- Tarbes
    Kvachadze- Aurillac
    Zoidze- Clermont
    Giorgadze- Clermont
    Gorgadze- Mont de marsan
    Tsutskiridze- Brive
    Papavadze - Stade

Didn't make it to the Squad but are U20s
    Gogoladze-Tarbes
    Javaxia- Lyon
    Giorgi Neparidze- Bordeaux
    Kharebava- La Rochelle

As of yet no backs got professional deals which is disapointing but hopefully a few get snapped up shortly.

Impressive to see 10 of the 14 forwards from the JWRT will play in France next year. Also, surprising to see only France is interested by these young georgians.
    Neparidze (prop), Melikidze (prop), Babunashvili (lock), Zoidze (flanker), Giorgadze (lock), Gorgadze (eightman), Tsutskiridze (flanker) are born 1996.
    Javakhia (lock), Neparidze (hooker) and Gogoladze (lock) are also born 1996.
    Sajaia (hooker), Lobhzanidze (scrumhalf), Koshadze (centre), Iluridze (centre), Svanidze (fullback) and Shanidze (fullback) born 1996 too while winger Kveseladze played for Georgia U18 two months ago. Most of these guys will play the JWC next year and will be joined by players who have reached the U18 championship final in April. So the squad may be strong!

backs Lobzhanidze (scrumhalf), Jinchvelashvili (flyhalf) and Svanidze (fullback) deserved to sign for a big club, surely more than some forwards...

In other news, Emerging Georgia lost the first game against Crashway's WRU President XV (a team with Welsh Premiership players and few players from RFU Championship)

Young fullback Svanidze scored a beautiful try at 3:26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

croket wrote: »
    Impressive to see 10 of the 14 forwards from the JWRT will play in France next year. Also, surprising to see only France is interested by these young georgians.
    Neparidze (prop), Melikidze (prop), Babunashvili (lock), Zoidze (flanker), Giorgadze (lock), Gorgadze (eightman), Tsutskiridze (flanker) are born 1996.
    Javakhia (lock), Neparidze (hooker) and Gogoladze (lock) are also born 1996.
    Sajaia (hooker), Lobhzanidze (scrumhalf), Koshadze (centre), Iluridze (centre), Svanidze (fullback) and Shanidze (fullback) born 1996 too while winger Kveseladze played for Georgia U18 two months ago. Most of these guys will play the JWC next year and will be joined by players who have reached the U18 championship final in April. So the squad may be strong!

backs Lobzhanidze (scrumhalf), Jinchvelashvili (flyhalf) and Svanidze (fullback) deserved to sign for a big club, surely more than some forwards...

JIFF rule! Get them in at 18 and after three years they are JIFF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That really is what they should try but it's a lot harder for Georgia with no big club team.

Other thing, with all their young players in France, are they in danger of losing some players to the French national team?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Other thing, with all their young players in France, are they in danger of losing some players to the French national team?

Always this possibility however Georgian players are incredibly loyal to their country plus they are getting proper match fees when they go on international duty. Again always a risk but much less so than with islander players.

• Advertisement

Always this possibility however Georgian players are incredibly loyal to their country plus they are getting proper match fees when they go on international duty. Again always a risk but much less so than with islander players.

I have no idea how you can think let alone assert that!

it really irks me that France and England with probably the biggest playing pool to pick from by some , still see it there right to poach the best players from smaller nations - Sad, really

Georgia squad to play Tbilisi Cup against Uruguay, Emerging Ireland and Emerging Italy :

Props
    Vasil Kakovin (Toulouse) - 24 caps
    Nikoloz Khatiashvili (Aurillac) - uncapped
    Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes) - 5 caps
    Anton Peikrishvili (Brive) - 14 caps
    Zurab Zhvania (Stade Français) - 18 caps

Hookers
    Jaba Bregvadze (Kochebi Bolnisi) - 24 caps
    Simon Maisuradze (Valence d'Agen) - 30 caps

Locks
    Giorgi Chkhaidze (Lille) - 79 caps
    Levan Datunashvili (Aurillac) - 66 caps
    Konstantin Mikautadze (Toulon) - 31 caps

Backrow
    Dimitri Basilaia (Perpignan) - 38 caps
    Beka Bitsadze (Locomotive Tbilisi) - 13 caps
    Viktor Kolelishvili (Clermont) - 31 caps
    Lasha Lomidze (Béziers) - 10 caps

Scrumhalves
    Giorgi Begadze (Kochebi Bolnisi) - 31 caps
    Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi Bolnisi) - 16 caps

Flyhalf
    Lasha Malaguradze (Bagnères) - 54 caps

Centres
    Revaz Gigauri (Montluçon) - 37 caps
    Giorgi Pruidze (Aia Kutaisi) - uncapped
    Merab Sharikadze (Aurillac) - 33 caps
    Giorgi Talakhadze (Lelo Saracens) - uncapped

Wingers
    Muraz Giorgadze (Armazi Tbilisi) - 5 caps
    Alexander Khutsishvili (Kochebi Bolnisi) - 3 caps
    Tamaz Mchedlidze (Agen) - 26 caps

Fullbacks
    Giorgi Aptsiauri (Aia Kutaisi) - 5 caps
    Beka Tsiklauri (Locomotive Tbilisi) - 16 caps

+ one additional player from Emerging Georgia

Rested players (who will likely play the RWC) :
    Shalva Mamukashvili (hooker, Sale Sharks)
    Davit Zirakashvili (prop, Clermont)
    Levan Chilachava (prop, Toulon)
    Mikheil Nariashvili (prop, Montpellier)
    Karlen Asieshvili (prop, Brive)
    Davit Kubriashvili (prop, Stade Français)
    Giorgi Nemsadze (lock, Tarbes)
    Vakhtang Maisuradze (lock, Albi)
    Giga Tkhilaishvili (flanker, Batumi)
    Mamuka Gorgodze (flanker, Toulon)
    Shalva Sutiashvili (flanker, Massy)
    Vasil Lobzhanidze (scrumhalf, Armazi Tbilisi)
    Lasha Khmaladze (flyhalf, Lelo Saracens)
    Davit Kacharava (centre, Enisey-STM)
    Sandro Todua (winger, Lelo Saracens)
    Merab Kvirikashvili (fullback, Montluçon)

So, looks like an A team considering half of the squad (not anounced yet though) of the RWC is missing.

The backs are young, Pruidze, Aptsiauri and Talakhadze are born 1994, Sharikadze, Mchedlidze and V Khutsishvili are born 1993, A Khutsishvili born 1992

Revaz Jinchvelashvili at World Rugby U20 Trophy.
    Probably the next fly half for Georgia national team

Here is the georgian 7's squad for the GPS 7's series in Moscow.
    Very weak squad...

Zurab Dzneladze (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    Bakhva Kobakhidze (RC Batumi)
    Alexander Khutsishvili (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    Bidzina Samkharadze (CSM Baia Mare, Romania)
    Shalva Makharashvili (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    Dmitry Kalandadze (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    Giorgi Shkhinin (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    Niko Aptsiauri (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    Saba Shubitidze (Jiki Gori)
    Beka Bebiashvili (Kharebi Rustavi)
    Irakli Gegenava (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    Lado Miminoshvili (RC Batumi)
    reserve : Lasha Popkhadze (Locomotive Tbilisi)

And Emerging Georgia to face Crashway's WRU President XV in the second leg today
    CGvzFq4U8AEhcEY.jpg

Again a very young backline
    centres Talkhadze and Pruidze born 1994
    wingers Kikvadze and Sichinava born 1995
    fullback Svanidze born 1996

Interesting fact :
    Georgia could select a foreign player, centre/winger (and former Emma Watson's boyfriend) Matthew Janney. He is 22 years old (born in July 1992).

He can play for Georgia thanks to a georgian grandfather.

He trained with the national team to prepare Tbilisi Cup and did well but coach Milton Haig wants to see him at sevens in a first time, so he will play for Georgia 7's at GPS seven series Lyon tomorrow.

He plays for Oxford University but Saracens keep an eye on him (he played for Saracens in the friendly against Bulls last January).

Matt-Janney.jpg

• Advertisement

Georgia to face Uruguay tomorrow (looks like an A team with many U23 players and a lot of uncapped, but officialy that's the full team)

1- Giorgi Tetrashvili (Agen, 1993, 2 caps)
    2- Jaba Bregvadze (Kochebi Bolnisi, 1987, 24 caps)
    3- Nika Khatiashvili (Aurillac, 1992, uncapped)
    4- Levan Datunashvili (Aurillac, 1983, 66 caps) - captain
    5- Kote Mikautadze (Toulon, 1991, 31 caps)
    6- Lasha Lomidze (Béziers, 1992, 10 caps)
    7- Saba Shubitidze (Jiki Gori, 1994, uncapped)
    8- Beka Bitsadze (Locomotive Tbilisi, 1991, 13 caps)
    9- Giorgi Begadze (Kochebi Bolnisi, 1986, 31 caps)
    10- Lasha Malaguradze (Bagnères, 1986, 54 caps)
    11- Giorgi Pruidze (Aia Kutaisi, 1994, uncapped)
    12- Merab Sharikadze (Aurillac, 1993, 33 caps)
    13- Rezo Gigauri (Montluçon, 1984, 37 caps)
    14- Giorgi Aptsiauri (Aia Kutaisi, 1994, 5 caps)
    15- Beka Tsiklauri (Locomotive Tbilisi, 1989, 16 caps)

16- Giorgi Tedoradze (RC Te’Be’eS, 1995, uncapped)
    17- Archil Bezhiashvili (Locomotive Tbilisi, 1994, uncapped)
    18- Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes, 1988, 5 caps)
    19- Giorgi Chkhaidze (Lille, 1981, 79 caps)
    20- Beka Gorgadze (Mont de Marsan, 1996, uncapped)
    21- Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi Rustavi, 1993, 16 caps)
    22- Giorgi Talakhadze (Lelo Saracens, 1994, uncapped)
    23- Tamaz Mchedlidze (Agen, 1993, 26 caps)

Georgia won 19-10
    As I said before, it was more like an A team, with 13 U23 players, 7 uncapped, and only 1 Top14 player.
    Georgia was undisciplined with 3 yellow card...
    Highlights :

Great these under 23 players are getting match experience. They'll have tougher matches against the Italian and Irish sides.

I see a few of the senior players helped with the recent flooding in Georgia. Obviously a very worthy cause and good PR for the Georgian Union and players.

Georgia to face Emerging Italy

Again a really young team, except the tight five

1- Anton Peikrishvili (Brive, 1987, 14 caps)
    2- Simon Maisuradze (Valence d'Agen, 1986, 30 caps)
    3- Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes, 1988, 5 caps)
    4- Levan Datunashvili (Aurillac, 1983, 67 caps) - captain
    5- Giorgi Chkhaidze (Lille, 1981, 80 caps)
    6- Saba Shubitidze (Jiki Gori, 1994, 1 cap)
    7- Beka Gorgadze (Mont de Marsan, 1996, 1 cap)
    8- Beka Bitsadze (Locomotive Tbilisi, 1991, 14 caps)
    9- Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi Rustavi, 1993, 17 caps)
    10- Lasha Malaguradze (Bagnères, 1986, 55 caps)
    11- Alex Khutsishvili (Kochebi Bolnisi, 1992, 3 caps)
    12- Tamaz Mchedlidze (Agen, 1993, 27 caps)
    13- Giorgi Talakhadze (Lelo Saracens, 1994, 1 cap)
    14- Muraz Giorgadze (Armazi Tbilisi, 1994, 5 caps)
    15- Giorgi Aptsiauri (Aia Kutaisi, 1994, 6 caps)

16- Jaba Bregvadze (Kochebi Bolnisi, 1987, 25 caps)
    17- Archil Bezhiashvili (Lelo Saracens, 1994, 1 cap)
    18- Nikoloz Khatiashvili (Aurillac, 1992, 1 cap)
    19- Kote Mikautadze (Toulon, 1991, 32 caps)
    20- Otar Giorgadze (Aia Kutaisi, 1996, uncapped)
    21- Giorgi Begadze (Kochebi Bolnisi, 1986, 32 caps)
    22- Giorgi Pruidze (Aia Kutaisi, 1994, 1 cap)
    23- Beka Tsiklauri (Locomotive Tbilisi, 1989, 17 caps)

3 - 3 at halftime but Georgia much the better side. Their 10 missed a few kicks. How many of these players would actually start for Georgia in their first team?

You can watch the game here http://2tv.ge/en/live.html, second-half coming up.

3 - 3 at halftime but Georgia much the better side. Their 10 missed a few kicks. How many of these players would actually start for Georgia in their first team?

You can watch the game here http://2tv.ge/en/live.html, second-half coming up.

Only Mchedlidze, and on his wing not as centre.
    Datunashvili starts sometimes but he is often on the bench. usually the locks are Nemsadze and Mikautadze.
    Khutsishvili is in the rotation with Begadze and Lobzhanidze at scumhalf

That's all considering the best XV possible is
    Nariashvili - Mamukashvili - Zirakashvili
    Mikautadze - Nemsadze
    Kolelishvili - Gorgodze - Sutiashvili
    Lobzhanidze/Begadze/Khutsishvili - Khmaladze
    Todua - Sharikadze - Kacharava - Todua
    Kvirikashvili
    bench : Zhvania - Kakovin/Asieshvili - Chilachava/Kubriashvili
    Datunashvili - Lomidze/Tkhilaishvili
    Lobzhanidze/Begadze/Khutsishvili - Malaguradze - Giorgadze/Aptsiauri

Italy scored 2 tries and lead 3-23

They got a late try to make it 10-23. Must say I was surprised by that second half performance, good win for them.

Team for the game against Emerging Ireland :

1- Zurab Zhvania (Stade Français, France)
    2- Simon Maisuradze (Valence d'Agen, France)
    3- Anton Peikrishvili (Brive, France)
    4- Levan Datunashvili (Aurillac, France)
    5- Kote Mikautadze (Toulon, France)
    6- Beka Bitsadze (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    7- Giorgi Chkhaidze (Lille, France)
    8- Lasha Lomidze (Béziers, France)
    9- Giorgi Begadze (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    10- Mamuka Ninidze (Jiki Gori)
    11- Giorgi Pruidze (Aia Kutaisi)
    12- Tamaz Mchedlidze (Agen, France)
    13- Revaz Gigauri (Montluçon, France)
    14- Alex Khutsishvili (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    15- Beka Tsiklauri (Locomotive Tbilisi)

16- Jaba Bregvadze (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    17- Giorgi Tetrashvili (Agen, France)
    18- Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes, France)
    19- Otar Giorgadze (Aia Kutaisi)
    20- Saba Shubitidze (Jiki Gori)
    21- Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi Rustavi)
    22- Irakli Svanidze (Jiki Gori)
    23- Giorgi Aptsiauri (Aia Kutaisi)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Geprgia are +33 with bookies, I doubt Emering ireland will hammer them. Pretty strong Georgia team

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

wadacrack wrote: »
    Geprgia are +33 with bookies, I doubt Emering ireland will hammer them. Pretty strong Georgia team

Are they much changed from the Italy game? Because they were woeful against Italy

• Advertisement

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Are they much changed from the Italy game? Because they were woeful against Italy

This team looks stronger than the one who faced Emerging Italy but still far to be the first team.
    From the today's georgian team, only 7 players faced Ireland last November, and 4 of them were on the bench.
    And last November, some first choice players were missing like Gorgodze, Zirakashvili, Kakovin and Sutiashvili

Lelos Coach Haig Will Lead “Best-Ever Prepared” Georgia to World Cup

thumb.php?w=300&h=300&render=resize&img=news%2F2015%2F06%2F25%2F50752b50446ad137b95443dd01125dbf.jpg

As the Tbilisi Cup concluded on June 21, won very convincingly by Emerging Ireland, Georgian head coach Milton Haig claimed the tournament had helped him to finalize his provisional squad for the autumn’s World Cup.

“We were missing about 90% of our first fifteen so this tournament was always about players competing to get in the World Cup squad,” said Haig whose side defeated Uruguay in their opening match before losing to Emerging Italy and Emerging Ireland.

The New Zealander did not dwell for long on the performance against the Irish which ended in a 45-12 defeat, admitting that Georgia lacked their opponents’ strength in depth. However, he also noted that Georgia was improving in that regard.

“In previous world cups, I think there may have been times when, in terms of the squad, some players were just making up the numbers. That’s certainly not the case now,” added Haig.

An early try by number eight Lasha Lomidze had given the Georgians an excellent start on a warm but windy evening in Avchala, but the Irish responded in merciless fashion with six tries of their own including two for the impressive wing Matt Healy.

Lomidze’s hopes of making the World Cup squad were dealt a blow when he was forced off with an injury towards the end of the first-half and Haig added that he was among two or three injury doubts for the autumn.

The Georgian head coach then outlined an intense preparatory schedule for what will start as a provisional 39-man squad before being cut to 31 for the tournament which begins on September 18.

Several weeks of fitness-heavy training will include a camp in Holland before the Lelos fly to the UK for warm-up matches with Newcastle Falcons (Aug 28), Canada (Sept 3) and Japan (Sept 5).

“The target has always been to get two wins and hopefully we can do that. What I will say is that this will be the best-ever prepared Georgian side at a World Cup,” claimed Haig.

Georgia’s first match at the World Cup is against Tonga on September 19 in Gloucester.

Alastair Watt
    http://georgiatoday.ge/news/444/Lelos-Coach-Haig-Will-Lead-%E2%80%9CBest-Ever-Prepared%E2%80%9D-Georgia-to-World-Cup

Georgia hope forward planning pays off

IRB_Tbilisi_Cup_2014_Lasha_Lomidze_of_Georgia_v_Argentina_Jaguars.JPG
    Georgia are on a mission to achieve their best finish at a Rugby World Cup

With Rugby World Cup 2015 on the horizon, Georgia have already set their sights on making it through to a fifth straight tournament, in Japan in four years’ time.

A third place finish in Pool C would not only signify their most successful tournament to date it would also enable the Lelos to bypass the lengthy qualification process and go straight into the hat for the Japan 2019 draw.

To achieve that goal Milton Haig’s will have to win at least two matches in a pool containing reigning world champions New Zealand, Argentina, Tonga and Namibia.

A win against Tonga in their opening match at Kingsholm on Saturday 19 September would put them halfway there, and the European Nations Cup champions are doing everything in their power to hit the ground running when the tournament kicks off.

"When we arrive in the UK we will spend three weeks at Surrey Sports Park in Guildford, we were lucky enough to get in before others so we are pleased with that," said New Zealander Haig. "We will then play three warm-up games against Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park, Canada at Esher and Japan at Gloucester. We have structured our pre-competition training programme which will help get us some momentum going into the first game which is important."

Playing Japan in their final warm up game at Kingsholm might also just give the Georgian's a slight edge as they prepare to face Tonga. "Japan also play their first match at Kingsholm so we are pleased to play a game there before the tournament starts. It worked out nicely for both of us. It is just another part of the preparation we have managed to tick off," Haig added.

"Our preparation will be absolutely key and we always knew that"
    Georgia head coach Milton Haig

Preparation for the tournament for a tier two nation is vitally important and something that Haig feels could give his side the edge over competitors in their pool.

“Our preparation will be absolutely key and we always knew that. We talked about this 18 months ago with Craig White, the former Wales and British and Irish Lions strength and conditioning coach. We spoke about how our preparation could be an advantage over the likes of Tonga, because we are closer to Europe we can prepare and get matches," Haig revealed.

“We are using some world class facilities, we are going to Poland pre-UK into a cryotherapy facility. If we can make sure we prepare properly then we can give ourselves a chance of starting well at the World Cup which is going to be vital for us.

"Our goal, as I have said for two years now, is to qualify automatically for Japan and to do that you need to win at least two games so that is what we are working towards and everything from next week onwards to 19 September is where our focus will be.”

Between 36 and 40 players will assemble in the initial training squad at the training base for the first three weeks of the training camp. A few players from Top 14 will have surgery so Haig has drafted in players to make sure there is cover.

The recent Tbilisi Cup competition offered Haig the chance to look at players on the fringe of the squad. “It has certainly allowed us to look at quite a few players that have been in the frame for the World Cup. The Emerging Ireland match in particular was a big game for three or four boys to distinguish on whether they go into the training camp of 39 or not. The tournament had a lot on it because there are players playing for World Cup spots,” Haig said.

Growing the game

A good performance in England would back up the achievement of the Junior Lelos in winning promotion to the World Rugby U20 Championship, and further stimulate interest in the game back home.

“We have a responsibility to grow the game in Georgia and to do well in the tournament,” said Georgian Rugby Union President, George Njaradze.

“If we perform well in the tournament the amount of kids playing the game will grow. Over the years we have increased our numbers tremendously from 2,300 to 11,000. Of course we need more infrastructure, more knowledge and more education over the next four years. We hope if we perform well there will be more sponsors and more support from the government, so it is up to us.

"We are going to try and win two games, which will not be easy of course," he added. "Tonga and Namibia are both good sides but it is possible. Then we play Argentina, a team we know quite well and of course New Zealand. Playing against them is great for us because a lot of players don't get the privilege to play against the All Blacks so we are very proud to have this opportunity and the boys will do their best. The goals for us are very clear and we will try to achieve them.

“Automatically qualifying for 2019 will allow us to prepare solely for that tournament and not be nervous about winning every game during a qualification programme. It will be a paradise for the coaches and for the Union because we can, in a very good climate, plan the next four years, prepare our team and I promise you that in 2019 Georgia will surprise the rugby world. We will have a completely different team, playing completely different rugby with a lot of young players.”
    http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/78108

Georgian training squad to prepare the RWC

Props
    Karlen Asieshvili – 21/04/1987 – 10 caps – Brive (Top14, France)
    Levan Chilachava – 17/08/1991 – 23 caps – Toulon (Top14, France)
    Vasil Kakovin – 01/12/1989 – 24 caps – Toulouse (Top14, France)
    Davit Kubriashvili – 12/03/1986 – 39 caps – Stade Français (Top14, France)
    Mikheil Nariashvili – 21/05/1990 – 26 caps – Montpellier (Top14, France)
    Anton Peikrishvili – 18/09/1987 – 16 caps – Brive (Top14, France)
    Davit Zirakashvili – 20/09/1983 – 48 caps – Clermont-Auvergne (Top14, France)

Hookers
    Jaba Bregvadze – 23/04/1987 – 27 caps – Kochebi Bolnisi (Georgia)
    Simon Maisuradze – 14/09/1986 – 32 caps – Valence d'Agen (Federale1, France)
    Shalva Mamukashvili – 02/10/1990 – 29 caps – Sale Sharks (Premiership, England)
    Zurab Zhvania – 23/09/1991 – 19 caps – Stade Français (Top14, France)

Locks
    Giorgi Chkhaidze – 24/06/1982 – 82 caps – Lille (Federale1, France)
    Otar Giorgadze - 02/09/1996 - 2 caps - Aia Kutaisi (Georgia)
    Vakhtang Maisuradze – 11/03/1987 – 24 caps – Albi (ProD2, France)
    Konstantin Mikautadze – 07/01/1991 – 34 caps – Toulon (Top14, France)
    Giorgi Nemsadze – 26/09/1984 – 48 caps – Tarbes (ProD2, France)

Backrow
    Dimitri Basilaia – 27/11/1985 – 38 caps – Perpignan (ProD2, France)
    Beka Bitsadze – 24/03/1991 – 16 caps – Locomotive Tbilisi (Georgia)
    Viktor Kolelishvili – 09/10/1989 – 31 caps – Clermont (Top14, France)
    Beka Gorgadze - 08/02/1996 - 2 caps - Stade Montois (Espoirs, France)
    Mamuka Gorgodze – 14/07/1984 – 59 caps – Toulon (Top14, France)
    Lasha Lomidze - 30/06/1992 - 12 caps - Béziers (ProD2, France)
    Saba Shubitidze - 07/04/1994 - 3 caps - Academia Tbilisi (Georgia)
    Shalva Sutiashvili – 24/01/1984 – 48 caps – Massy (ProD2, France)
    Giorgi Tkhilaishvili – 08/04/1991 – 20 caps – RC Batumi (Georgia)

Scrumhalves
    Giorgi Begadze – 04/03/1986 – 34 caps – Kochebi Bolnisi (Georgia)
    Vazha Khutsishvili – 02/09/1993 – 19 caps – Kharebi Rustavi (Georgia)
    Vasil Lobzhanidze – 23/10/1996 – 5 caps – Armazi Tbilisi (Georgia)

Flyhalf
    Lasha Khmaladze – 20/01/1988 – 38 caps – Lelo Saracens (Georgia)
    Lasha Malaguradze – 02/01/1986 – 56 caps – Bagnères (Federale1, France)

Centres
    Davit Kacharava – 16/01/1985 – 81 caps – Enisey-STM (Russia)
    Merab Sharikadze – 17/05/1993 – 34 caps – Aurillac (ProD2, France)
    Giorgi Talakhadze – 24/08/1994 –2 caps - Lelo Saracens (Georgia)

Wingers
    Muraz Giorgadze – 28/06/1994 – 6 caps – Armazi Tbilisi (Georgia)
    Tamaz Mchedlidze – 27/03/1993 – 29 caps – Agen (ProD2, France)
    Giorgi Pruidze – 02/06/1994 – 3 caps – Aia Kutaisi (Georgia)
    Sandro Todua – 02/11/1987 – 47 caps – Lelo Saracens (Georgia)

Fullbacks
    Giorgi Aptsiauri – 20/01/1994 – 7 caps – Aia Kutaisi (Georgia)
    Merab Kvirikashvili – 27/12/1983 – 84 caps – Montluçon (Federale1, France)
    Irakli Svanidze – 01/06/1996 – 1 cap - Jiki Gori (Georgia)
    Beka Tsiklauri – 09/02/1989 – 19 caps – Locomotive Tbilisi (Georgia)

He's been unlucky with injuries this year but I'm suprised other clubs haven't attempted getting him out of his Toulon contract given he struggles to get into the team. That said he's been very impressive while playing for Toulon, he's just given away the odd yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭gluppers

I think most of them come from Tbilisi 4

He's been unlucky with injuries this year but I'm suprised other clubs haven't attempted getting him out of his Toulon contract given he struggles to get into the team. That said he's been very impressive while playing for Toulon, he's just given away the odd yellow card.

From Georgian medias he may join Bordeaux but it will be decided after the RWC
    gluppers wrote: »
    I think most of them come from Tbilisi 4

You mean the Tbilisi Cup?

Two more young signings

- hooker Badri Alkhazashvili (born 1995) joins Toulon Academy.
    He captained Georgia U20 in the last JWRT and just won the georgian championship with Lelo Saracens. He also started the 2 games of the Tbilisi Caucasians against Rovigo in the Challenge Cup qualifying competition last september. The previous year, he played for Ellesmere College in England.

- winger Giorgi Kveseladze (born 1997) joined Auckland Rugby Academy and played last saturday his first game for the new zealandese team Ponsonby U20. Kveseladze reached the U18 european championship final last March and won JWRT with Georgia U20 two months later, scoring a try in the final

Kveseladze with Ponsonby jersey
    11781765_1625212194399392_5453699624859024140_n.jpg?oh=713714d56be983bf869c91638749c8c7&oe=56167C2C

• Advertisement

Mamuka Gorgodze 2014-2015 tribute

Georgia final RWC squad :

Props
    Karlen Asieshvili (Brive/FRA)
    Levan Chilachava (Toulon/FRA)
    Davit Kubriashvili (Stade Français/FRA)
    Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier/FRA)
    Davit Zirakashvili (Clermont/FRA)

Hookers
    Jaba Bregvadze (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    Simon Maisuradze (Mâcon/FRA)
    Shalva Mamukashvili (Sale Sharks/ENG)

Locks
    Giorgi Chkhaidze (Lille/FRA)
    Levan Datunashvili (Aurillac/FRA)
    Konstantin Mikautadze (Toulon/FRA)
    Giorgi Nemsadze (Tarbes/FRA)

Backrow
    Mamuka Gorgodze (Toulon/FRA) - captain
    Viktor Kolelishvili (Clermont/FRA)
    Lasha Lomidze (Béziers/FRA)
    Shalva Sutiashvili (Massy/FRA)
    Giorgi Tkhilaishvili (RC Batumi)

Scrumhalves
    Giorgi Begadze (Kochebi Bolnisi)
    Vazha Khutsishvili (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    Vasil Lobzhanidze (Armazi Tbilisi)

Flyhalves
    Lasha Khmaladze (Lelo Saracens)
    Lasha Malaguradze (Bagnères/FRA)

Centres
    Davit Kacharava (Enisey-STM/RUS)
    Tamaz Mchedlidze (Agen/FRA)
    Merab Sharikadze (Aurillac/FRA)

Wingers
    Giorgi Aptsiauri (Armia Tbilisi)
    Muraz Giorgadze (Armazi Tbilisi)
    Giorgi Pruidze (Aia Kutaisi)
    Sandro Todua (Lelo Saracens)

Fullbacks
    Merab Kvirikashvili (Montluçon/FRA)
    Beka Tsiklauri (Locomotive Tbilisi)

- 10 Top14 players
    - scrumhalf Vasil Lobzhanidze (18 years old) to be the youngest RWC player ever

what are the chances of them beating Tonga and Argentina and getting a quarter final ??
    be great for the game, something new , rather than the usual suspects

For all of Georgia's front row strength they look very weak at hooker. Shavla has only come back from a long layoff, I know that Stade prop come hooker recently got injured so is out the WC.

Hopefully some of the younger players from the underage team get some game time in the backline.

I'm going to the Georgia V Tonga game but I'm not overly hopefully after last weeks loss against Newcastle however they were rusty from a lack of games. They they play well this weekend against Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

What would the full strength Georgian pack look like?

thebaz wrote: »
    what are the chances of them beating Tonga and Argentina and getting a quarter final ??
    be great for the game, something new , rather than the usual suspects

I'd say chances are low. About 30% against Tonga and 15% against Argentina but still possible.
    Georgia was always strong in their first halves against the pumas (ht : 3-6 in 2007, 7-5 in 2011 and 12-9 in 2013) but struggled in second haves (ft : 3-33 in 2007, 7-25 and 18-29). They need to be competitive during 80 minutes!
    What would the full strength Georgian pack look like?

With all players in full fit I'd say
    1- Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier)
    2- Zurab Zhvania (Stade Francais)
    3- Davit Zirakashvili (Clermont)
    4- Konstantine Mikautadze (Toulon)
    5- Giorgi Nemsadze (Tarbes/ProD2)
    6- Viktor Kolelishvili (Clermont)
    7- Mamuka Gorgodze (Toulon)
    8- Lasha Lomidze (Beziers/ProD2)

• Advertisement

croket wrote: »
    I'd say chances are low. About 30% against Tonga and 15% against Argentina but still possible.
    Georgia was always strong in their first halves against the pumas (ht : 3-6 in 2007, 7-5 in 2011 and 12-9 in 2013) but struggled in second haves (ft : 3-33 in 2007, 7-25 and 18-29). They need to be competitive during 80 minutes!

8 years ago they were competitive against Ireland for 80 mins - they seam to have come on a good bit since - World cups are about shocks, thats what makes them entertaining , with my limited knowledge of Georgian rugby , they should certainly should have some chance of being that shock - its a fairly decent draw

1996-born tighthead prop Giorgi Melikidze played his first Top14 game for Stade Français tonight against Toulon. He played only seven minutes but it's a great experience for him. He started all World Rugby U20 Trophy at only 18 and will play the Junior World Cup next year.
    20150906231657pnggkq.jpg

In other U20 (born 1996 or 1997) players news :
    - 18 years old scrumhalf Vasil Lobzhanidze started for Georgia against Japan (his 6th cap). I will not surprise if he is the first choice at the RWC. Imagine him starting against All Blacks at only 18! Thought, If he play any minute during pool stage, he will become the younger RWC player ever.

- Loosehead prop Vakh Abdaladze started for Leinster U20 this weekend against Connacht U20. Could be good to see him play the next JWC for Georgia but he already played for Ireland U18 and U19...

- lock or backrow Otar Giorgadze started his second game in a row for Clermont U22. He is a big and powerfull player, reminds me Gorgodze. He played 2 games for Georgia during the Tbilisi Cup including the game against Emerging Ireland. A very important element for Georgia for 2016 JWC.

- Four 1996 born players were in the georgian extented RWC squad : Vasil Lobzhanidze (scrumhalf), Otar Giorgadze (lock), Beka Gorgadze (eightman) and Irakli Svanidze (fullback). The last three played against Emerging Ireland last June. Only Lobzhanidze is in the final squad.

- 1997 born centre or winger Giorgi Kveseladze was back in Georgia after his 6 weeks training camp with Auckland Rugby Academy. He also played Auckland Championship U20 semi final for Ponsonby RFC. He played this year for Georgia U18 and raised U18 European Championship final and won 6 week later U20 World Rugby Trophy, scoring a try during the final. Him with Dan Carter :
    1441575449955kw4.jpg
    There was another Georgian with Auckland Rugby Academy, U17 player Irakli Vasadze.

-19 years old hooker Giorgi Neparidze signed to Libourne in Federale1. There are also a lot of georgians in french Top14 and ProD2 academies:
    1994 : Giorgi Margvelani (prop, Agen)
    1995 : Beka Kakabadze and Nika Svimonishvili (props, Clermont), Badri Alkhazashvili (hooker, Toulon), Davit Papavadze (flanker, Stade Français)
    1996 : Nika Neparidze (prop, Clermont), Giorgi Melikidze (prop, Stade Français), Otar Giorgadze and Tornike Zoidze (locks/backrow, Clermont), Giorgi Tsutskiridze (flanker, Brive), Mikheil Babunashvili and Besik Gogoladze (locks, Tarbes), Beka Gorgadze (number8, Stade Montois), Giorgi Javakhia (lock, Lyon)
    1997 : Lasha Tabidze (prop, Bordeaux), Luka Yurini (winger, Lyon and Georgia Sevens)
    All players born 1996 and 1997 can play the next JWC.

Impressive georgian defence yesturday, winning the game against Tonga (17-10) with only 28% of possession.

They made 201 tackles with 93% success!
    3 players with more than 20 tackles!

Special mention for the backrow :
    6- Tkhilaishvili : 13 tackles, 1 try
    7- Kolelishvili : 21 tackles
    8- Gorgodze : 24 tackles, 1 try

Also, good game from 18 years old Lobzhanidze, who became the youngest RWC player ever

Gorgodze named MOTM

I went to this game, it was immense!

A lot of Georgian fans present and they take the game very seriously. Spoke to loads in the crowded train down from Swindon where you have to make a change. There was hundreds at the game, maybe even 1,000 at a push. I spoke to some Georgians who especially made the trip over for the RWC.

Was so nervous at the end some Georgians couldn't watch when Tonga made that last attack. I was over the moon when they won. I've followed your thread closely since it started and wanted to go out of my way to attend a Georgia game.

To be fair Georgia deserved the win. It could have been more only for a few bad kicks at goal in the first half. They really need to get their goal kicking sorted. They should have an interesting game against Argentina. Georgia looked so strong defensively, and the tackling made was simply fantastic.

Well done Georgia!

Gorgodze is a well named individual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement