Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Georgian rugby - players

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Think I heard a reporter say there are 19 props from Georgia in top14 squads. That would be crazy!
    So much forward talent generally and particularly the front row. If Georgia could someone get a few backs together they could suprise a few sides.

If a Fiji or Samoas backs joined with Georgia's forwards it would be quite a team.

I've count 13 Top14 props
    Toulon : Levan Chilachava
    Clermont : Davit Zirakashvili
    Stade Français : Zurab Zhvania, Davit Kubriashvili
    Racing-Metro 92 : Davit Khinchagishvili
    Montpellier : Mikheil Nariashvili
    Bordeaux-Bègles : Zaza Navrozashvili
    Toulouse : Vasil Kakovin
    Bayonne : Giorgi Jgenti
    Brive : Karlen Asieshvili, Goderzi Shvelidze, Anton Peikrishvili
    La Rochelle : Lekso Kaulashvili

12 in Pro D2
    Pau : Giorgi Natsarashvili
    Perpignan : Giorgi Mchedlishvili
    Albi : Beka Sheklashvili
    Stade Montois : Tariel Ratianidze
    Aurillac : Nikoloz Khatiashvili
    Agen : Giorgi Tetrashvili
    Tarbes : Kakhaber Koberidze, Irakli Mirtskhulava
    Massy : Davit Dadunashvili, Elizbar Kuparadze, Vakhtang Akhobadze, Davit Ashvetia

7 in Fr Academies
    Clermont : Giorgi Sharashidze, Beka Kakabadze
    Montpellier : Gagi Bazadze
    La Rochelle : Zaur Kharebava
    Toulon : Shako Odisharia
    Oyonnax : Giorgi Vekhpadze
    Toulouse : Beka Lochoshvili

2 in England
    Worcester : Val Rapava-Ruskin
    Leeds Carnegie Academy : Toko Tedoradze

2 in Ireland
    Connacht Academy : Saba Meunargia
    Leinster Academy : Vak Abdaladze

Also 18 props in Federale1 (french third division)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

That'd be an interesting rival to the lions! Would be an absolutely massive team.

Probably not realistically gonna happen but my god I'd love to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

croket wrote: »
    I've count 13 Top14 props
    Toulon : Levan Chilachava
    Clermont : Davit Zirakashvili
    Stade Français : Zurab Zhvania, Davit Kubriashvili
    Racing-Metro 92 : Davit Khinchagishvili
    Montpellier : Mikheil Nariashvili
    Bordeaux-Bègles : Zaza Navrozashvili
    Toulouse : Vasil Kakovin
    Bayonne : Giorgi Jgenti
    Brive : Karlen Asieshvili, Goderzi Shvelidze, Anton Peikrishvili
    La Rochelle : Lekso Kaulashvili

12 in Pro D2
    Pau : Giorgi Natsarashvili
    Perpignan : Giorgi Mchedlishvili
    Albi : Beka Sheklashvili
    Stade Montois : Tariel Ratianidze
    Aurillac : Nikoloz Khatiashvili
    Agen : Giorgi Tetrashvili
    Tarbes : Kakhaber Koberidze, Irakli Mirtskhulava
    Massy : Davit Dadunashvili, Elizbar Kuparadze, Vakhtang Akhobadze, Davit Ashvetia

7 in Fr Academies
    Clermont : Giorgi Sharashidze, Beka Kakabadze
    Montpellier : Gagi Bazadze
    La Rochelle : Zaur Kharebava
    Toulon : Shako Odisharia
    Oyonnax : Giorgi Vekhpadze
    Toulouse : Beka Lochoshvili

2 in England
    Worcester : Val Rapava-Ruskin
    Leeds Carnegie Academy : Toko Tedoradze

2 in Ireland
    Connacht Academy : Saba Meunargia
    Leinster Academy : Vak Abdaladze

Also 18 props in Federale1 (french third division)

Those are remarkable numbers! Is rugby a minority sport in Georgia?

Those are remarkable numbers! Is rugby a minority sport in Georgia?

Rugby is considered as the second team sport in Georgia.

Soccer is #1, with ,according to FIFA website, 26 786 registered players and 209 clubs

For the 2011 RWC, Georgian Rugby Union had 4 181 registered players, with only 878 senior male players (the only team from the RWC under 1000 senior male players).
    According to the official rugby europe website, Georgia has now 6 544 registered players (+56% in three years), it was 2013 statistics. We don't know for 2014 stats but Bradley says in an interview there are around 8 000 registered players.

Georgia produces some good athletes in Judo and Wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Probably not realistically gonna happen but my god I'd love to see it!

Yeah no geographic links so wouldn't happen unless it was some sort of Babas variation but I reckon they'd be able to take on any team.

I've been thinking for a while that the best thing that could realistically happen for Georgia is the growth of the Russian league. If it could get to Pro 12 standard within 20 years there'd be huge money put into Russian academies and Georgians would be a very sizeable proportions of those academies imo. Now how many of those Georgians would end up playing senior rugby in a Russian jersey is another matter.

• Advertisement

Yeah no geographic links so wouldn't happen unless it was some sort of Babas variation but I reckon they'd be able to take on any team.

I've been thinking for a while that the best thing that could realistically happen for Georgia is the growth of the Russian league. If it could get to Pro 12 standard within 20 years there'd be huge money put into Russian academies and Georgians would be a very sizeable proportions of those academies imo. Now how many of those Georgians would end up playing senior rugby in a Russian jersey is another matter.

centre Davit Kacharava who captained Georgia during November internationals plays in Russia for Enisey-STM while a prop, Mamuka Khechikovi plays for Krasny Yar.
    Until last season, there was a team called Spartak Moscow in the russian championship. About an half of the players were georgians but the team disapeared for financial reasons. Most of the georgians from Spartak plays now in the Georgian league. Some georgians plays for Russia national team, brothers Tsnobiladze (Grigory - loosehead and Valery - hooker) and Giorgi Minadze (lock) but they refused to play against Georgia.

About budgets of eastern european clubs
    Russia - Professional Rugby League - 8 teams :
    Enisey-STM (current champions) and Krasny Yar (2d): more than 200 000 000 RUB (actually a bit more than 3M€, it was 4M€ before the crash of the ruble)
    squad Enisey-STM : http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/blog-page_26.html
    squad Krasny Yar : http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/krasny-yar.html

I guess the budget of VVA Saracens, the team from Yuri Gagarin Air Force Academy who signed last season a partnership with the Saracens, is about 1,5M€
    squad VVA Saracens : http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/vva-saracens.html

Fili Moscow (6th) : 30 000 000 RUB = currently 480 000€

Romania - Super Liga - 7 teams
    Timisoara, winner of the Romanian Cup and semi finalist of the Super Liga anounced 2,5M€
    squad Timisoara : http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/rcm-timisoara.html

Before the season, Farul Constanta anounced 3M€, they was finalist of the championship
    squad Farul : http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/farul-constanta.html

Not sure about Baia Mare's budget but as current Super Liga champions and Romanian Cup finalists and from their squad, I guess it's at least 2M€, maybe 2.5M€
    squad Baia Mare : http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/csm-baia-mare.html

Georgia - Liga Umaghlesi - 10 teams
    I don't know the budgets, I just know each club receive 400 000 GEL (= 172 000€) from the federation, local authorities give money and there is sponsorship so I guess budget are about 500 000€, maybe more for some club, a bit less from others.
    The current champions are Lelo Saracens Tbilisi
    squad Lelo Saracens : http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/20142015.html

Current leaders of the championship, unbeaten after 11 days, are Kochebi Bolnisi
    squad Kochebi : http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/kochebi-bolnisi.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I find the growth of the game in a country like Georgia very interesting. Must say I really enjoy this thread and taken a keen interest in Georgia's progress as a result.

For 2015 I hope they produce a couple of decent backs and particularly a good No.10 to guide the team a bit more.

Zurab Zhvania scored again a try for Stade Français against Toulon tonight!
    I find the growth of the game in a country like Georgia very interesting. Must say I really enjoy this thread and taken a keen interest in Georgia's progress as a result.

For 2015 I hope they produce a couple of decent backs and particularly a good No.10 to guide the team a bit more.

Lasha Khmaladze is a decent flyhalf. His game against Ireland was not his best for sure but Georgia had only 36% of possession. But he played well in defense (he made 15 tackles and missed 2)
    That's him in action for Tbilisi Caucasians against Rovigo during Challenge Cup qualifying competition :

IMO the weakest positions are fullback and scrumhalf...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Croket you are a legend! Do you have any connection to Georgia? My parents are Russian so I have a little bit of an interest there, but I'm very interest in Georgia's progress. Very interesting and beautiful country.

Croket you are a legend! Do you have any connection to Georgia? My parents are Russian so I have a little bit of an interest there, but I'm very interest in Georgia's progress. Very interesting and beautiful country.

No connection to Georgia. In fact i'm french, but Georgia is my second favorite national team. I think it's the team that grew the fastest. They played their first international game in 1989. In the 1990's they lost their both games against Poland, they had a draw against Luxemburg and they were smashed 55-3 by Netherlands. In the 2000's they played their first RWC in 2003, they lost 46-19 against South Africa and they played 2007 RWC with a lost 14-10 against Ireland. In the 2010's, they played 2011 RWC and they only conceded 9 tries in their 4 games. they won their first game against a team from the top10 IRB (Samoa in 2013) and another win against a Top10 IRB team the following year (Japan).
    I'm also a big fan of Gorgodze.

More generally, I follow closely the emerging European nations

• Advertisement

If it could get to Pro 12 standard within 20 years there'd be huge money put into Russian academies and Georgians would be a very sizeable proportions of those academies imo.

I'd like to see an eastern europe pro championship. 10 teams with the 5 strongest clubs (squads and budgets) and 5 franchises

4 romanian teams :
    - CSM Baia Mare (current Super Liga champions and finalist of the Romanian cup)
    - Farul Constanta (current Super Liga finalists)
    - RCM Timisoara (Super Liga semi finalist and winner of the Romanian Cup)
    - Bucharest Wolves (who select players from other Super Liga teams, Dinamo Bucharest, CSM Bucharest, Steaua Bucharest and U Cluj)

3 russian teams :
    - Enisey-STM (current RPL champions)
    - Krasny Yar (RPL finalists and 2013 champions)
    - Russia Select XV (based in Sochi because the weather, with players from VVA Saracens Moscow, Slava Moscow, Metallurg Novokuznetsk, Fili Modcow, Imperia Penza and Bulava Taganrog)

3 georgian teams - franchises from Georgian Rugby Union.
    georgiafranchiseshsd.jpg
    We can imagine the Georgian Rugby Union can take under contract 12-15 georgians in ProD2/Federale1 to play for their franchises
    - Tbilisi Caucasians (Lelo Saracens - 3d ; Locomotive - 5th ; Armazi - 7th ; Jiki - 8th ; Armia - 9th ; Universiteti - 10th)
    - Kvemo Kartli (Kochebi Bolnisi - 1st ; Kharebi Rustavi - 4th)
    - Georgia West (Batumi - 2d ; Aia Kutaisi - 6th)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Folders

Thanks a bunch croket. Some of your ideas are great! Basically top man, fantastic research gone in regarding Georgian rugby. Kudos.

Georgia's captain Irakli Machkhaneli (73 caps, 13 as captain, 24 tries scored) retires from international rugby.
    Mostly known for his big hits, the winger played 7 years in France, including 4 in ProD2.
    He was injured during the first 2014 November test against Tonga so didn't took part of the game against Ireland

2 of his spectacular international tries :

Georgia Rugby Union announced international fixtures for 2015

ENC 1A (6 Nations B)
    07.02.2015 Germany - Georgia, Heusenstamm
    14.02.2015 Georgia - Portugal, Tbilisi
    28.02.2015 Spain - Georgia, Madrid
    14.03.2015 Georgia - Russia, Tbilisi
    21.03.2015 Romania - Georgia, Bucharest or Cluj

Tbilisi Cup, 13-17-21 June
    Georgia - Uruguay, Tbilisi
    Georgia - Emerging Ireland, Tbilisi
    Georgia - Emerging Italy, Tbilisi

RWC Warm Up Games
    02.09.2015 Georgia - Canada, England
    05.09.2015 Georgia - Japan, England

2015 RWC
    19.09.2015 Tonga - Georgia, Gloucester
    25.09.2015 Argentina - Georgia, Gloucester
    02.10.2015 New Zealand - Georgia, Cardiff
    07.10.2015 Namibia - Georgia, Exeter

And for his other teams :
    03.06.2015 Welsh Premiership XV - Emerging Georgia
    07.06.2015 Welsh Premiership XV - Emerging Georgia

JWRT, from 12 May to 24 May
    Georgia U20 - Fiji U20, Lisbon or Jamor
    Portugal U20 - Georgia U20, Lisbon or Jamor
    Georgia U20 - Canada U20, Lisbon or Jamor
    play off, Lisbon or Jamor

U19 European Championship, TBA

U18 European Championship, from 26 March to 5 April, Toulouse

European Seven's Grand Prix Series
    Leg1, 6-7 June, Lyon
    Leg2, 13-14 June, Moscow
    Leg3, 4-5 July, Manchester
    Leg4, 11-12 July, Bucharest

Two good games to finish the ENC in Russia & Romania.

Hopefully they'll get the two wins over Tonga & Namibia in the WC. Surely they'll be expected to beat Namibia but the Tonga game will be key. I tried to get tickets for that one but didn't get anything through the ballot and it's now sold out. 16,500odd in Kingsholm will be a great atmosphere for them.

I see Mamuka Gorgodze had a cracking game at the weekend making 18 tackles and missed none. Was the Toulon man of the match although they lost.

Pity he didn't play against Ireland in November, such an important player for the team.

I see Mamuka Gorgodze had a cracking game at the weekend making 18 tackles and missed none. Was the Toulon man of the match although they lost.

Pity he didn't play against Ireland in November, such an important player for the team.

Yes, and he is more than an important player, he is the leader of the team. When the team is in a bad period, just pass the ball to Gorgodze and the team returns in the right direction.

The other important miss against Ireland was Clermont's tighthead prop Zirakashvili, who is more than a excellent scummager.

As for the last Top14 day, in addition of the Gorgodze performance, Mikheil Nariashvili was named in the team of the week, in particular for having taken over Carl Hayman in scrum

Vasil Kakovin hit on Benjamin Kayser

He is the first choice at loosehead with Georgia when he is fit. And first choice ahead Gurthro Steenkamp at Toulouse. But unfortunately he is sooo often injured...

Mamuka Gorgodze don't argue on Wynand Olivier

Top 5 State funding in M€

Sport|2014|2015
    Rugby Union|4.66|5.55
    Soccer|3.11|3.11
    Basketball|1.11|3.11
    Wrestling|0.89|1.11
    Judo|0.89|1.02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Top 5 State funding in M€

Sport|2014|2015
    Rugby Union|4.66|5.55
    Soccer|3.11|3.11
    Basketball|1.11|3.11
    Wrestling|0.89|1.11
    Judo|0.89|1.02

would Georgia be at the same level now as Italy, or have they a bit further to go before they match them ?
    Following the AI they would be a long way off Ireland , I assume a place in the 6 or 7 Nations would be a short/long term objective , be nice to see , great country.

thebaz wrote: »
    would Georgia be at the same level now as Italy, or have they a bit further to go before they match them ?
    Following the AI they would be a long way off Ireland , I assume a place in the 6 or 7 Nations would be a short/long term objective , be nice to see , great country.

IMO, Italy still a little better than Georgia
    But I think in 3-4 years Georgia will be ahead Italy

Here are results from U18 european championship
    2014 : Italy 15-13 Georgia
    2013 : Georgia 17-12 Italy
    2012 : Georgia 20-18 Italy

Also, most of best italians are thirties : Ghiraldini (30), Castrogiovanni (33), Cittadini (32), Bortolami (34), Geldenhuys (33), Zanni (30), Parisse (31), Orquera (33), Garcia (30), Masi (33) and I don't see a lot of players able to replace him.

In the Georgian team, only Gorgodze (30) and Zirakashvili (31) are important players aged 30+

During last november tests there was a bunch of players born in the 90's : Mamukashvili (24), Nariashvili (24), Chilachava (23), Zhvania (23), Mikautadze (23), Lomidze (22), Tkhilaishvili (23), Bitsadze (23) for the forwards
    Khutsishvili (22), Mchedlidze (22), Aptsiauri (19), Giorgadze (20) for the backs. A lot of them have a lot of potential.

But unfortunately, I don't think Italy want play against Georgia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

But unfortunately, I don't think Italy want play against Georgia

a game against them for entry into a 6 nations might be a good idea or whoever bottoms 6 nation (long term). it would certainly liven things up for any of the dead rubber games

Brive loosehead prop Karlen Asieshvili made a 25m break against Clermont last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gagnidze

Sport|2014|2015
    Rugby Union|4.66|5.55

how much it is in Romania and other tier 2 countries, if you know?

or where I can find it :)

gagnidze wrote: »

No idea sorry... :confused:

In other news, good game from Mamuka Gorgodze against Ulster this weekend. He entered on the pitch at the 58th minute. One try and one try-assist to his credit. Also 3 tackles (0 missed) and 16m ball in hand in 4 runs. His teammate, the lock Konstantin Mikautadze also had a good game, 10m ball in hand in 2 runs, 3 tackles (0 missed) and he won a turnover. He came on the pitch at min 63.

gagnidze wrote: »

I'm not sure how much money goes into rugby in Romania in total but clubs in the superliga receive a fair bit of public money. Here is a bit of inofrmation about it, it certainly seems to be a growing league.

All the teams are fully professional and they all include foreign players alongside Romanian ones. 1-2 matches from each round are broadcasted live by the public TV station TVR and the remaining are live streamed online by the Federation

5.55 M€ is not the full budget of GRU but only state funding. There is also IRB grants and sponsorship.
    Each club from the Liga Umaghlesi (georgian championship) receive 400 000 GEL (= 177 000€) from the GRU
    So on aggregate 1 770 000€ to the 10 clubs from the championship

AFAIK, the romanian clubs don't receive money from the romanian federation.
    Super Liga teams have strong budgets (2-3 M€ for the big three) thanks to local authorities and sponsorship.
    A link shows public money allowed to some clubs :
    http://www.prosport.ro/sportbiz/statul-roman-finanteaza-sportul-prin-consiliile-locale-si-judetene-cu-peste-80-de-milioane-de-euro-care-sunt-cele-mai-generoase-judete-13475854

The CSM Bucharest receive more than 1 000 000€, Timisoara receive approx 867 000€

About the FRR (romanian federation) I don't think their budget is very high...
    I found this link http://www.prosport.ro/sport-life/special/exclusiv-mts-a-impartit-bugetul-pe-anul-2014-top-3-ramane-acelasi-suma-totala-60-23-milioane-de-lei-11997956
    It seem in 2014 the FRR receive 780 000€ from the Ministry of Youth and Sports
    They also had a main sponsor, CEC Bank. CEC Bank appears on the national team jersey and on all Super Liga stadiums (and national team stadium). Also the Super Liga is named "Super Liga CEC Bank".
    And the FRR receive IRB grants

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gagnidze

Zirakashvili : Team of the Week, Champions Cup

Davit Zirakashvili (Clermont): Classy as ever as Clermont's pack won the overall battle of the forwards in the Salford rain. The 31-year-old Georgian tighthead always seems to deliver. A mention for Toulon's bonus-point try scorer, Martin Castrogiovanni.

(s) planetrugby.com

• Advertisement

Zirakashvili is also in the team of the week from Midi Olympique
    zirakeah.jpg

Advertisement