Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

shannie wrote: »
    I meant a proper source.

Wiki isn't a source

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

First link has an é making it BAYvin.

Second shows the pronounciation as Being BeVEEN

Neither appear to back up your theory. I think the post with the three pronounciations has the best explanation. I'd imagine that there isn't one original pronunciation. More a few dialectal versions

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

In general, I find that any of those name sites that aren't Irish-specific are rubbish. They rarely have input from people with expertise in the Irish language and tend to rely on Americanised pronunciations.

I have a very common Irish name. There is only one way to spell it and there are no fadas in it. Yet, I have heard it pronounced in three or four different ways. Different regions in Ireland (like in every other country) have different accents, emphases and different ways of pronouncing certain sounds. It doesn't make the way that Cork people pronounce 'Cathal' wrong and the Donegal pronunciation right, it simply reflects the fact that the 'ath' sound is different in the two dialects. Now, if someone decides to go pronouncing 'ath' as an 'oh' sound, that's just wrong as it is inconsistent with the spelling, in any region.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think we have established that Beibhinn is pronounced differently by different people and more then one of these pronunciations is correct.
    Can we leave it at that please?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Matilda is my favourite girls name, and my neighbours have a little girl named Matilda. I think it's gaining popularity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Hmmm we have found the girls names easy:

Mia
    Isabella
    Hannah
    Freya

But boys names not so easy..the only we both mutually like is Ronan...and were having a boy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I like Ronan and there wouldn't be many of them about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

God help me! ETA in 3 weeks and I still have no name for the baby :(
    My OH has adopted the ''ah sure the name will come with the baby'' approach. I wish I had his optimism!
    Plus we don't know if it's a girl or a boy, so added pressure of finding 2 names :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

On number 1 they were putting me under general anesthetic for an emergency c section and I was asking the anesthetist what his name was because I hadn't a clue what to name the baby if it was a boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gtul

God help me! ETA in 3 weeks and I still have no name for the baby :(
    My OH has adopted the ''ah sure the name will come with the baby'' approach. I wish I had his optimism!
    Plus we don't know if it's a girl or a boy, so added pressure of finding 2 names :eek:
    i am on the same boat, less than 3 weeks to go and no name, was the same story with my first:) today i'm thinking bronagh for a girl and darragh for a boy?? does anyone have any nice irish names for boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I just found out I'm pregnant on Baby no.1
    Have had my names picked since we started trying,
    Eli (Elijah) Ian
    or
    Zoe Amelia
    Excited :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

gtul wrote: »
    i am on the same boat, less than 3 weeks to go and no name, was the same story with my first:) today i'm thinking bronagh for a girl and darragh for a boy?? does anyone have any nice irish names for boys?

I think Oran is a gorgeous Irish boy's name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Caólan,Cormac,Daire,Donal,Eoghan,Cillian.

They are the irish boys names that I love.

ElleEm wrote: »
    I think Oran is a gorgeous Irish boy's name.

Odhran?

I have only ever seen it spelled Oran, but I'd imagine it sounds the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

ElleEm wrote: »
    I have only ever seen it spelled Oran, but I'd imagine it sounds the same.

It's high on my list of boys names... Although I'm having a girl do unlikely to need it!! ;)
    But yeah your right Oran and Orin are anglesised versions or the name odhran! I think I would go for Oran as I think it's the nicest spelling :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Filippa K

Hi all!
    what do ye think of the name Oscar for a boy??

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Filippa K wrote: »
    Hi all!
    what do ye think of the name Oscar for a boy??

Oscar is a great name, If I have a son thats what I will call him.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

love the name Oscar, but it was immediately Vito-ed by himself :rolleyes:

I like Chloe for a girl
    and Jack or Dylan for a boy

We have agreed on Chloe, still arguing over boys name, although no decision needed just yet :D

I love Oscar and it was also the name of Oisíns son in irish mythology.

love the name Oscar, but it was immediately Vito-ed by himself :rolleyes:

I like Chloe for a girl
    and Jack or Dylan for a boy

We have agreed on Chloe, still arguing over boys name, although no decision needed just yet :D

I love Jack for a boy too, it is a strong name.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭tweety11981

Thoughts on Grace Amelia? or Amelia Grace, personally I prefer the first!

I love the name Amelia. Grace is kind of common for girls in their twenties, but I don't know any Amelias.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sashiee

I also love the name Amelia, but not because of the xfactor popette.
    When i was younger i Used to read a lot of enid blyton and there was a little girl called amelia- jane.
    I guess the name kind of stuck with me.

Also for a boy, O/H loves Ethan and i'm actually starting to really like it too!
    For a girl I like flower like names like fleur or rosalie

Rosalie and Ethan...

Sashiee wrote: »
    I also love the name Amelia, but not because of the xfactor popette.
    When i was younger i Used to read a lot of enid blyton and there was a little girl called amelia- jane.
    I guess the name kind of stuck with me.

Also for a boy, O/H loves Ethan and i'm actually starting to really like it too!
    For a girl I like flower like names like fleur or rosalie

Rosalie and Ethan...

That's where I first learnt of the name too :D

Although she was a terror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭tweety11981

just brought back memories about Enid Blyton's Amelia-Jane as you mentioned! On what happy carefree times!!

Advertisement