Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yellow hen wrote: »
    Well I know it's a girl on the way here so I think we're narrowed to meabh or roisin. I'm not being ignorant with my fadas, my phone just refuses to play ball!

They are both beautiful names.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

http://www.nisra.gov.uk/demography/default.asp28.htm

I'm sure most of ye have come across this already but down along the page, there's a link to an Excel document called "Full Baby Names List, 1997 to 2014". It's got a bunch of tables with Every. Single. Name. Registered. in Northern Ireland from 1997 to 2014. 11863 girls' names, 7418 boys' names. There _are_ repeats since it counts variations on spellings (22 versions of Aisling/Ashlinn/Ashlin!) but still...

From a purely Nosey Parker aspect, there's a 3 year old boy somewhere called Anakin, a 10 year old boy called Anal, Arya appeared in the rankings for the first time in 2012, as did Khaleesi (or Kaleesi depending on your preference), and Emily was 32nd in 1997 but has risen steadily up the ranks to be No. 1 in 2013 & 2014...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

catreyn wrote:
    I'm sure most of ye have come across this already but down along the page, there's a link to an Excel document called "Full Baby Names List, 1997 to 2014". It's got a bunch of tables with Every. Single. Name. Registered. in Northern Ireland from 1997 to 2014. 11863 girls' names, 7418 boys' names. There _are_ repeats since it counts variations on spellings (22 versions of Aisling/Ashlinn/Ashlin!) but still...

Really interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Really interesting!

I thought so too but I don't trust my own judgement sometimes since I love random information that's only useful if you're in a table quiz!:D

I started reading it to help me pick out a name but ended up noticing the silly
    stuff more than I was picking out names so Himself took over the list-making for a while lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Anal. Dear god, poor lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

It's probably Arabic: Ann Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Baby girl due in June, have a list as long as my arm but can't settle on a name. Our two favourites are Ríona and Laoise. I know they won't be everyone's cup of tea but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, or suggestions?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Digs wrote: »
    Baby girl due in June, have a list as long as my arm but can't settle on a name. Our two favourites are Ríona and Laoise. I know they won't be everyone's cup of tea but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, or suggestions?!

I love Ríona.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Both gorgeous digs. I'd probably lean towards Riona but I think either are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

yellow hen wrote: »
    Both gorgeous digs. I'd probably lean towards Riona but I think either are beautiful.

I would never go for an Irish name, but even just the sound of Riona is beautiful!

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I would never go for an Irish name, but even just the sound of Riona is beautiful!

I would probably only go for an Irish name...just called my daughter Róisín :) Names are so personal aren't they?

Thanks so much for the comments guys, so glad Ríona seems to be liked. I keep coming back to it and think we will probably go with it. I've only known one Ríona in my life and my husband has never come across it so wasn't sure what people thought!

P.s YH hope you and your baby girl are doing well, beautiful name, I love it's meaning!

P.s YH hope you and your baby girl are doing well, beautiful name, I love it's meaning!

All going great digs, thanks. I can't get over how much easier it is second time around! Hope you're well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Lisha wrote: »
    I love Ríona.

I don't like it sorry. It depends on surname too I suppose

CaraMay wrote: »
    I don't like it sorry. It depends on surname too I suppose

No prob, not everyone is going to like a name! Our surname is part of the reason I like it so much, it's one syllable and just flows really well.

YH delighted ye are doing so well. I'm almost 32 weeks, feeing good and really looking forward to round two :)

No prob, not everyone is going to like a name! Our surname is part of the reason I like it so much, it's one syllable and just flows really well.

YH delighted ye are doing so well. I'm almost 32 weeks, feeing good and really looking forward to round two :)

I just realised its because I had a land lady years ago with the name. Its association as she was the meanest person I ever met lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I like Riona. Have met only one in my life so far and she was lovely.
    Name associations have such an impact don't they? Laoise is a nice name but a woman at work who I cannot stand for even a minute called her daughter (who is a brat) Laoise and so now I instinctively opt for a "no" on that one.

We've had the same few boys names on our list from the start. They are:
    Will
    Danny
    Toby
    Simon
    Sam.

Danny and Simon are my favourites. They work well with the surname and are (I think anyway) classic names that aren't either super fashionable at the moment or in the doldrums of names too.
    Danny I like because Danny the Champion of thr World is one of my favourite books from childhood. I love it because it focuses on the relationship between the Dad and son and not many do that where the relationship is so loving and positive.
    Simon I've just always liked.
    Sam and Will I do really like too but are oddly difficult to say with the surname, it's a short one and maybe they're too short too? Yet it worked for my daughter's name.......odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Riona is a lovely name.
    Really like your names penny, especially Will and Danny.
    We are having a boy too and so far I have one name that I adore but the OH isn't crazy on it. Art.
    Any thoughts? It goes great with his surname and his older brothers name!

Art is so cute. I think it's fab

Danny and Will are fab too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

cant26 wrote: »
    Riona is a lovely name.
    Really like your names penny, especially Will and Danny.
    We are having a boy too and so far I have one name that I adore but the OH isn't crazy on it. Art.
    Any thoughts? It goes great with his surname and his older brothers name!

I am not even pregnant and have been pushing the name Art for a boy for over a year with my husband. I love it and the simplicity will go well with his surname. I also love the name Bay but that has also been turned down. Maybe I should wait til we actually have a baby to tell him my thoughts!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I love Ríona :) I like Laoise too, but then I worked with a lovely Laoise once.

You only realise how many people you dislike when you try to pick a baby name, don't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

.... It's got a bunch of tables with Every. Single. Name. Registered. in Northern Ireland from 1997 to 2014. 11863 girls' names, 7418 boys' names.

Off topic, but that seems like a crazy difference between the number of female births and the number of male births.

On topic, I love Irish names and don't consider phonetic/anglicised versions to be Irish - e.g. Ashling for Aisling; Owen for Eoghan or Eoin (two distinct names historically). Reliable [i.e. books written by Irish scholars] books on Irish personal names are Donnchadh Ó Corráin and Fidelma Maguire's Irish Names and the late Diarmaid Ó Muirithe's A-Z of Irish Names for Children. Most of the rest are written by chancers with no understanding of the language, the centrality of the fada (it changes the entire pronunciation - e.g. Sean v. Seán, the difference between Róisín and Roisín [Donegal pronunciation]), and the most remedial spelling rule of all 'caol le caol, leathan le leathan' (i.e. vowels are either caol/slender [i, e] or leathan/broad [a,o,u]. On each side of a consonant the vowel must match - e.g. Aoife; Ciarán; Saoirse; Sinéad...)If somebody gives their kid an Irish (or any name) name they might as well do it correctly. Otherwise they come across as culturally uneducated, unfortunately (I include my own parents in that!).

That saying is very true neyite! Associations are so important, My Mam is a primary school principal so I run names past her too just in case, you'd be surprised how many names have made an impact on her for the wrong reasons ;) luckily Ríona gets a thumbs up!

If we were having a boy we were using Donal or Donnacha. Very Irish taste over here!

Danny and Art are lovely. I have fond associations with both!

ElleEm wrote: »
    I am not even pregnant and have been pushing the name Art for a boy for over a year with my husband. I love it and the simplicity will go well with his surname. I also love the name Bay but that has also been turned down. Maybe I should wait til we actually have a baby to tell him my thoughts!

I don't know if this would bother you but if you use Bay it will sound like the term of the moment "Bae"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Thumbs up to Ríona, Danny, Donal, Donnchadh, Róisín.
    Thumbs down to Art & Simon, sorry.
    Laoise I'd be on the fence....

My contenders at 2 weeks to go are Una, Gráinne, Mariah.
    I think Mariah is an old irish name as I had a grandaunt called that, hubby thinks
    ppl will think we've called her after the singer.

Lucuma wrote: »
    Thumbs up to Ríona, Danny, Donal, Donnchadh, Róisín.
    Thumbs down to Art & Simon, sorry.
    Laoise I'd be on the fence....

My contenders at 2 weeks to go are Una, Gráinne, Mariah.
    I think Mariah is an old irish name as I had a grandaunt called that, hubby thinks
    ppl will think we've called her after the singer.
    I like Mariah. It's a bit different and sounds lovely. I wouldn't worry about the singer connection esp of your surname isn't Carey! ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Roselm wrote: »
    I don't know if this would bother you but if you use Bay it will sound like the term of the moment "Bae"...

Yeah, that is something I have had to consider too. I have loved that name for years, then young people had to ruin it! I work with late teens so I have to look outside of the box for inspiration, then they go steal a word!

I fought hard for Gráinne but hubs wouldn't budge. It's another favourite. I have two cousins Gráinne, one is Sligo and is pronounced grawn-ya and one is Donegal (who's spelling I won't do a disservice too as I amnt 100% on fada placement and she's not on fb to check) but she's Gren-ya, I'm assuming fada comes off the a in Donegal? I love both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I fought hard for Gráinne but hubs wouldn't budge. It's another favourite. I have two cousins Gráinne, one is Sligo and is pronounced grawn-ya and one is Donegal (who's spelling I won't do a disservice too as I amnt 100% on fada placement and she's not on fb to check) but she's Gren-ya, I'm assuming fada comes off the a in Donegal? I love both.

Never heard of Gren-ya pronunciation!
    You have to be careful with fadas & spelling of Gráinne as you could end up calling your child the irish word for ugly ;-)
    My fave thing about Gráinne as well as the connection to the pirate queen is that it will be shortened to Grá, the irish word for love :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Angelus or luke seems to be top of the list for our first born son. Girls names are proving far more difficult to decide though

Advertisement