Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

What do you think of Casper? I recently met a girl who's son is Casper, it started out as a joke as he was due around Halloween but they ended up calling him it and it really suits him!

Not wild on Casper but I've heard of a Jasper recently and while I wouldn't use it myself think there's something endearing about the name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

brokensoul wrote: »
    Front runners for me are Iarla, Seadna or Odhran for a boy and Eabhan or Aoibheann for a girl.

My husband thinks that the name Iarla is a lot to live up to - he reckons a child called Iarla would have to play senior intercounty hurling at least!

Séadna is modernised as Séanna, and is the title of a famous novel in Irish of the 20th century, Séanna by Peadar Ó Laoghaire. Ó Corráin's Irish Names says, "According to O Rahilly, this is a god-name which originally meant 'traveller, wayfarer'. This is a relatively common early name borne by the legendary kings and dynastic founders.... According to a medieval text, there are thirteen saints of the name among whom is St Sétna of Armagh whose feast-day is 9 March."

I like Iarla, which has really strong Connacht connections - citing Ó Corráin again, "This is the name of the patron of the diocese of Tuam whose feast-day is 26 December" (Diarmaid Ó Muirithe actually has a more extensive history on Iarla, and how it was anglicised as Jarlath from 1831 on page 104 of this book) - but for me is much more associated with the fine Munster singer, Iarla Ó Lionáird.

Regarding Órán, here's the entry in Diarmaid Ó Muirithe's above mentioned book, page 142: "Órán, Odhrán, earlier Odrán (m) This name is said to have been rare in ancient Ireland, but there are nevertheless more than twenty saints of the name recorded...." (extensive history followed) Donnchadh Ó Corráin, in Irish Names, also gives the modern spelling as Órán (fadaí on both vowels).

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love Eabhan and Aoibheann ,do you pronounce them the same?

Aoibhinn (Aoi as in Aoife). Indeed, the superb Teanglann website now has a pronunciation of Aoibhinn in all three dialects which should put to rest any debate over alleged regional differences regarding the pronunciation of those first three letters.

According to the same pronunciation feature, Éamh in Munster and Connacht, for instance, (and perhaps Éabha, but no pronunciation there yet) would give the "Aeve" pronunciation which many people actually want when they use the first syllable of Aoibhinn.

wrote:
    Senan? An Irish name but not a very Irishy Irish name. To me it sounds nice with Eli

Seanán (as the earlier mentioned 'caol le caol, leathan le leathan' spelling rule indicates) is the Irish name; Senan is the most common English name for it. Seanán is the diminutive of 'sean', meaning old, and the 6th-century St Seanán of Inis Cathaigh in Clare is the most famous bearer of the name.

Digs wrote: »
    Yeah it's a beautiful name imo.

My gren-ya cousin is from Gweedore, they also have a Sean (no fadas at all) and call him Shan. I find their accent as a whole fascinating, something very "romantic" about it..... I'm losing the run of myself here :)

Interesting. 'Shane' is the anglicisation of Séan in Ulster or as Diarmaid Ó Muirithe puts it 'Shane echoes the northern pronunciation of the name'. Note that in Ulster Irish, the spelling has the fada over the é, rather than over the á as in the rest of the country, Seán. Compare Séamas to Séan, and listen to Séan here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We had a girl but our shortlist of boys names were:

Oliver (which we knew we couldn't use 6 weeks before when his cousin had a boy and called him Oliver)

Billy/William/Will

Stan/Stanley

Theo - back on the 1911 Census I had a great uncle Theophilus and always thought it would be lovely to use it.

Rory - husband vetoed that one due to not liking a particular Rory! I love it though!

I found the old census papers brilliant when I was looking for name inspiration, my mothers family was fairly big so ran out of the John/Michael/Thomas/Patrick names fairly quickly. My fathers family were much smaller and the only male names that appear are John and Roger.

We're not into Irish names either, particularly if even Irish people have to ask "how do you spell it" when told or "how do you pronounce it" when seeing it written. Never mind other nationalities if they ever end up working abroad. It might not bother some people but it would really annoy me!

Theo is now being added. I'm gutted we can't sync up on a Rory spelling! I prefer ruairi, with fada, hubby only likes Rory. I feel a little more flexible on the Rory side after a few weeks of mulling it over....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Theo is now being added. I'm gutted we can't sync up on a Rory spelling! I prefer ruairi, with fada, hubby only likes Rory. I feel a little more flexible on the Rory side after a few weeks of mulling it over....

It's not just different spelling there though it's also different pronounciation isn't it?
    Ruairi = Roo-ree
    Rory = Row-ree

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Do you differ on pronunciation too? That could be a harder one to agree on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Rúairí is pronounced completely differently to Rory. It's more like Roory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Rúairí is pronounced completely differently to Rory. It's more like Roory.

And we won't start on Ruaidhri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Anyone able to offer up any thoughts on the following? :) still in the planning stage (2017/2018, all things going well) but can't help thinking about names already!

Maya
    Robyn
    Clara
    Lucy

Jack
    Noah
    William
    Rory
    Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Anyone able to offer up any thoughts on the following? :) still in the planning stage (2017/2018, all things going well) but can't help thinking about names already!

Maya
    Robyn
    Clara
    Lucy

Jack
    Noah
    William
    Rory
    Daniel

Maya - I'm never sure if it's My-a or May-a! I have a good friend with a Maya pronounced My-a.

Robyn - if it's a little bald girl, noone will be sure if it's a girl or a boy!

Clara is one of my all time favourite girls names, I love it!

Lucy is gorgeous.

Jack - love it.

Noah - lovely.

William is my boy's name! I love it, especially since he's started saying it himself - "Lillum"

Rory - not so keen on, but possibly because I have an ex called Rory.

Daniel - I love love love this name!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Maya - I'm never sure if it's My-a or May-a! I have a good friend with a Maya pronounced My-a.

Robyn - if it's a little bald girl, noone will be sure if it's a girl or a boy!

Clara is one of my all time favourite girls names, I love it!

Lucy is gorgeous.

Jack - love it.

Noah - lovely.

William is my boy's name! I love it, especially since he's started saying it himself - "Lillum"

Rory - not so keen on, but possibly because I have an ex called Rory.

Daniel - I love love love this name!

Thanks for the reply, very insightful! Particularly the comment about Robyn, I never thought about it that way.

We'd be pronouncing Maya like the month but with -a at the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Lucuma wrote: »
    It's not just different spelling there though it's also different pronounciation isn't it?
    Ruairi = Roo-ree
    Rory = Row-ree

Yes we differ on the pronunciation too! I like the irish way and spelling, he likes the English!

Maya - nice but not sure how to pronounce
    Robyn - very popular 5 years ago
    Clara - love love it
    Lucy - cute if she's a dainty little girl

Jack - love it
    Noah - it's ok
    William - don't like it. Associate it with a grandad but Will is nice
    Rory - don't like it
    Daniel - very cute but prepare for Danny

That's my vote lol

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Aoibhinn (Aoi as in Aoife). Indeed, the superb Teanglann website now has a pronunciation of Aoibhinn in all three dialects which should put to rest any debate over alleged regional differences regarding the pronunciation of those first three letters.

According to the same pronunciation feature, Éamh in Munster and Connacht, for instance, (and perhaps Éabha, but no pronunciation there yet) would give the "Aeve" pronunciation which many people actually want when they use the first syllable of Aoibhinn.

That pronounciation tool is handy!
    It kind of wrecks my head alright all the people calling their daughters ''Aoibheann' and pronouncing it 'Ay-veen'

I mean it's not like we didn't all grow up with the name Aoife... every irish person knows 'Aoi' is pronounced 'Eeee'

So I got to the bottom of my grand-aunt Mariah.
    She was christened ''Anna Maria''
    I also have a great grandmother who was called Hannah Maria.

Thing is back then that name ''Maria' was pronounced as Mar-eye-ah.
    Whereas nowdays we pronouce Maria as Mar-eee-ah

So to get the same sounding name as my grand-aunt and great-grandmother I'd have to add a 'h' to the end of Mariah. Which makes it look like the pop singer's name!

Hmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Baby girl due in June, have a list as long as my arm but can't settle on a name. Our two favourites are Ríona and Laoise. I know they won't be everyone's cup of tea but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, or suggestions?!

Went to school with 2 Ríonas, one pronounced it Ree-en-a, the other Ree-own-a (rhymes with Fiona). Teachers always calling one the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

fondue wrote: »
    Went to school with 2 Ríonas, one pronounced it Ree-en-a, the other Ree-own-a (rhymes with Fiona). Teachers always calling one the other.

Ree-own-a, what? I've never heard that pronunciation, for it to fit the name, it would need to be spelt Ríóna.

Ríona is a gorgeous name and it's a contraction of Caitríona.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Maya
    Robyn
    Clara
    Lucy

Jack
    Noah
    William
    Rory
    Daniel

Us too!
    I love Maya and Rory

Ree-own-a, what? I've never heard that pronunciation, for it to fit the name, it would need to be spelt Ríóna.

Ríona is a gorgeous name and it's a contraction of Caitríona.

That's how Ríona's parents spelt it and decided to say it! Don't shoot the messenger!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

fondue wrote: »
    That's how Ríona's parents spelt it and decided to say it! Don't shoot the messenger!!!

Not how I meant it, sorry!

I just never cease to be amazed by what people do to Irish names when they're naming their kids, either by accident or design. A name is really important, it's not a lot of effort to get it right. This thread is great, where people can get feedback and opinions on names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Any boy name suggestions to go with Eli? Not really into very irish names, although hubby likes donnacha, I don't think they go well together. Liked Daniel but it's very common, top 5 I think? Although I personally don't know of any! Love Xander but it's been vetoed. Also Oscar but hubby also thinks it's a cats name....

Need inspiration!

Elliott? Or is it too similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Not how I meant it, sorry!

I just never cease to be amazed by what people do to Irish names when they're naming their kids, either by accident or design. A name is really important, it's not a lot of effort to get it right. This thread is great, where people can get feedback and opinions on names.

Here is the Connemara pronunciation: http://forvo.com/word/r%C3%ADona/#ga

There are lots of Irish names pronounced on this website and if you can't find one you can request it and its normally added within a few days.

Heres a list of girls names I made when trying to settle on a name for our daughter:

Ailbhe, Ailín, Ailís, Áine, Aisling, Aoibhe, Aoibheann, Aoibhín, Aoife, Aoise, Banbha, Bébháil, Bébhinn, Bláithín, Brenda, Bríd, Brídín, Cailín, Cáit, Caitlín, Caitríona, Caoilinn, Caoimhe, Cara, Ciara, Clíona, Clodagh, Clothra, Cobhlaith, Dar Òma, Dealla, Dearbhaile, Dearbhla, Deirdre, Doireann, Éabha, Eadan, Éadaoin, Eibhlín, Éile, Eileen, Eilís, Eimear, Éinín, Eirnín, Eithne, Éle, Ella, Fiona, Gráinne, Íde, Líadan, Máire, Mairéad, Máirín, Moire, Móirne, Muireann, Muirín, Neasa, Nóinín, Nóirín, Nóra, Nuala, Órla, Orlaith, Ríona, Róisín, Saoirse, Saorla, Seána, Shauna, Shona, Shóna, Sibeal, Síle, Sinéad, Siobhán, Síofra, Síomha, Síona, Sorcha, Tara, Treasa, Tríona, Uainín, Úna

We went with Íde! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'm hoping Ri-own-nas parents were in the minority! Definitely not the pronunciation we're going for, never heard it myself before either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Elliott? Or is it too similar?

I love Eli but it was vetoed by my husband. :( I also love Elliott - for a girl but again that was shot down in flames.
    Its funny how our list of boy names hasn't changed at all from what we managed to agree on first time out when we learned that we were having a boy this time. I've suggested the occasional name but they didn't make it to the list at all. Some of those he rocked up with I've hated too so I suppose its a good thing that the ones we picked at the start we still like.

Ree-own-a is not nice at all!

I don't think 2 bros Eli & Elliott is a good idea either.....

Def not it's like Tim and Timothy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Who was going to call their boys Eli and Elliott? Its a bit like good ol' George Foreman calling all of his children the same name and justing sticking a I II or III at the end. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

BarraOG wrote: »
    Here is the Connemara pronunciation: http://forvo.com/word/r%C3%ADona/#ga

There are lots of Irish names pronounced on this website and if you can't find one you can request it and its normally added within a few days.

Heres a list of girls names I made when trying to settle on a name for our daughter:

Ailbhe, Ailín, Ailís, Áine, Aisling, Aoibhe, Aoibheann, Aoibhín, Aoife, Aoise, Banbha, Bébháil, Bébhinn, Bláithín, Brenda, Bríd, Brídín, Cailín, Cáit, Caitlín, Caitríona, Caoilinn, Caoimhe, Cara, Ciara, Clíona, Clodagh, Clothra, Cobhlaith, Dar Òma, Dealla, Dearbhaile, Dearbhla, Deirdre, Doireann, Éabha, Eadan, Éadaoin, Eibhlín, Éile, Eileen, Eilís, Eimear, Éinín, Eirnín, Eithne, Éle, Ella, Fiona, Gráinne, Íde, Líadan, Máire, Mairéad, Máirín, Moire, Móirne, Muireann, Muirín, Neasa, Nóinín, Nóirín, Nóra, Nuala, Órla, Orlaith, Ríona, Róisín, Saoirse, Saorla, Seána, Shauna, Shona, Shóna, Sibeal, Síle, Sinéad, Siobhán, Síofra, Síomha, Síona, Sorcha, Tara, Treasa, Tríona, Uainín, Úna

We went with Íde! ;)

Aisling,Caoilfhionn,Aoife,Caoimhe,Dearbhail,Alannah,Ciara,Róisín,Siobhán, and Siún were ours.
    He vetoed Réiltín,Bláithín and Síofra.
    For a boy - Cillian,Caolán, ,Conor,Ruairí and Cormac

• Advertisement

I'm hoping Ri-own-nas parents were in the minority! Definitely not the pronunciation we're going for, never heard it myself before either.

Be prepared for someone to pronounce it like that though!

Advertisement