Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia VRS .... What next

Options
  • 10-04-2019 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Getting that itch to change car again.

Currently have a 2014 2.0tdi vrs dsg octavia combi

Previous to this I had a 2008 Alfa 159 2.4 jdtm TI qtronic. (Should never have sold it)

Commute is around 800km a week so diesel is probably best

The Vrs is a lovley car and I can't fault it but Ive had it 12 months and just can't take to it.

Minimum requirements

At least 180hp (Alfa was 210 , vrs 184)
    Adaptive cruise control (commute is mainly motorway)
    Android auto
    Auto lights and wipers
    Leather
    Saloon or estate

So far I've been looking at a Passat DSG with the digital dashboard.

Budget is €15k plus the VRS so around €30k

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest if the Octavia ain't doing it for you then I cannot imagine a Passat being any better.

Would you consider an A6 Quattro?
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2268991&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D7%26o%5B%5D%3D45%26f%3D2%26nn%3D22%26yn%3D2014%26g%3D0

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

bazz26 wrote: »
    To be honest if the Octavia ain't doing it for you then I cannot imagine a Passat being any better.

Would you consider an A6 Quattro?
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2268991&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D7%26o%5B%5D%3D45%26f%3D2%26nn%3D22%26yn%3D2014%26g%3D0

Thanks for your reply.

I've been looking at the A6 but just thought that tech was lacking

I've found a nice Passat with
    Adaptive cruise
    Digital dash
    Lane keep assist.

But you make a fair point Passat Vs octavia

Yes the A6 is a bit dated when it comes to the tech you're looking for alright but if you were happy enough with the Octavia other than lacking tech you desire then maybe the Passat will be fine in that perspective. The Superb would be another one which shares alot of DNA with the Passat.

Yes the A6 is a bit dated when it comes to the tech you're looking for alright but if you were happy enough with the Octavia other than lacking tech you desire then maybe the Passat will be fine in that perspective.

Yeah I think your right.
    I've also been looking at the S60 in r design D4 spec.

Looks good ,has the tech (bar android auto) but like the A6 has a dated interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Could possibly get the Diesel 180 BHP Alfa Romeo Giulia in around that budget from the UK.

The 2018+ model have Android Auto, could be hard enough to find one with Adaptive CC though, just ignore the recent recall for the cruise control :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Renault Megane 205 GT is a great looking car but its only in petrol form. It has over 200hp do and rear wheel steer as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

richieffff wrote: »
    Could possibly get the Diesel 180 BHP Alfa Romeo Giulia in around that budget from the UK.

The 2018+ model have Android Auto, could be hard enough to find one with Adaptive CC though, just ignore the recent recall for the cruise control :pac:

This is the problem with the Giulia. I'm a big Alfa nut but I don't know if I can stomach Giulia depreciation (for the first 3 years )

I have yet to find any with adaptive cruise control and leather.

Plenty of 17 reg Giulia's in the UK for around £19k but they don't have many extras.

AMKC wrote: »
    The Renault Megane 205 GT is a great looking car but its only in petrol form. It has over 200hp do and rear wheel steer as well.

Cool car bit diesel is a must for my commute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mazda 6 175. No Android auto tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

330d

• Advertisement

Mazda 6 175. No Android auto tho

Nice looking car but have they sorted out the reliability issues with the diesel engine ?

330d

330d tourer I'd like. But didn't think they could be got with adaptive cruise and lane keeping ?
    Plus I think they are apple car play only

Nice looking car but have they sorted out the reliability issues with the diesel engine ?

I have a 2013 and have zero issues. We're not doing short runs. With big commutes you'd have no problems. The problems are with people buying an unsuitable diesel for city traffic and not getting the dpf regens

I have it remapped to 200bhp, makes it much smoother dropping to 60kmph in 6th and still have the torque to pull away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

330d tourer I'd like. But didn't think they could be got with adaptive cruise and lane keeping ?
    Plus I think they are apple car play only

You're prob right on the tech.
    Not my bag.

Just loved my 330d and will have another yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Just changed my 2017 vrs for a kodiaq and if I could I’d take back my vrs. Was a lovely machine to drive. Kodiaq is a grand bus too but it’s a big bus.

Passat is grand car but I think your getting good value with skoda. Look into the superb. High spec ones come with a host of extras as standard

I have a 2013 and have zero issues. We're not doing short runs. With big commutes you'd have no problems. The problems are with people buying an unsuitable diesel for city traffic and not getting the dpf regens

I have it remapped to 200bhp, makes it much smoother dropping to 60kmph in 6th and still have the torque to pull away

Ah ok that's good to know. I think some of the 2017 and newer models are well kitted out

adam88 wrote: »
    Just changed my 2017 vrs for a kodiaq and if I could I’d take back my vrs. Was a lovely machine to drive. Kodiaq is a grand bus too but it’s a big bus.

Passat is grand car but I think your getting good value with skoda. Look into the superb. High spec ones come with a host of extras as standard

Yeah a superb sportline would be perfect but oddly enough are move expensive than a similar spec Passat. Granted the superb is a bigger car

You're prob right on the tech.
    Not my bag.

Just loved my 330d and will have another yet.

The reason I'm being so picky with the adaptive and lane keeping is my commute is all motorway. I had both features in a loan golf for a couple of days while my vrs was getting serviced and it made the motorway drive a breeze

Ah ok that's good to know. I think some of the 2017 and newer models are well kitted out

Take a test drive, they are lovely to drive, lots more torque than the VRS. The 175 is only available in platinum spec which has leather as standard and all extras and safety kits. Even my 2013 has lane departure and smart city braking support. I don't have radar cruise control but it is available

Take a test drive, they are lovely to drive, lots more torque than the VRS. The 175 is only available in platinum spec which has leather as standard and all extras and safety kits. Even my 2013 has lane departure and smart city braking support. I don't have radar cruise control but it is available

Think I might do that next week. Thanks for your help

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be my thing but it has most of what your looking for and is a fairly fresh car:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2174691&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D63%26o%5B%5D%3D1405%26f%3D2%26nn%3D12%26yn%3D2017%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

20" tyres would be expensive though if your racking up big mileage.

Wouldn't be my thing but it has most of what your looking for and is a fairly fresh car:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2174691&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D63%26o%5B%5D%3D1405%26f%3D2%26nn%3D12%26yn%3D2017%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

20" tyres would be expensive though if your racking up big mileage.
    Thanks

The new insignia ticks all the boxes but its just not for me :p

Thanks

The new insignia ticks all the boxes but its just not for me :p

I worked with a sales rep who had one, we swapped cars once. He loved the Mazda and actually wanted to buy one. The Opel Insignia while a decent car with all the extras including heated steering wheel, 20 inch rims and lots of gadgetry was just horrible to drive, clunky and very noisy.

I worked with a sales rep who had one, we swapped cars once. He loved the Mazda and actually wanted to buy one. The Opel Insignia while a decent car with all the extras including heated steering wheel, 20 inch rims and lots of gadgetry was just horrible to drive, clunky and very noisy.

Similar to that story, I had the old model as a hire car a few years back and really didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Superb ??? Some really nice ones out there.

Superb ??? Some really nice ones out there.

Yeah I've been looking at the superb sportline. But prices are higher than similar specced Passat's.

I had a standard superb briefly a couple of years ago. I found it a bit like a barge to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I'll be honest if the vrs isn't doing it for you the sportline superb might not either. I did that swap and couldn't wait to get rid of the superb. The vrs is no great shakes but the superb would genuinely put you to sleep.

I'll be honest if the vrs isn't doing it for you the sportline superb might not either. I did that swap and couldn't wait to get rid of the superb. The vrs is no great shakes but the superb would genuinely put you to sleep.

Ah, that's good to know....

Out of interest what did you get after the superb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Ah, that's good to know....

Out of interest what did you get after the superb ?

A used 330d Touring.

• Advertisement

A used 330d Touring.

Lovley car, top of my list if I could find one with adaptive cruise .

Touring in blue with the M sport kit really look good

Advertisement