Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial motor tax question

Options
13»

Comments

Indeed. I contacted the motor tax office today and they confirmed I "can choose" which way to tax it since it hasn't been taxed before (new van).

My insurance said it was based on which type of tax I had it under, I'll have to double-check this. Private insurance is cheaper.

If the van is taxed as private does that mean it's regarded as a private car at tolls? Or is that based on the reg plates being registered as "commercial" ?

You will pay commercial tolls officially but use the barriers as they often mess up and charge the car tool to commercials from my experience.

I’m not sure you will be able to get private insurance and even if you can I can’t see there being much of a price difference, I was getting commercial quotes recently cheaper than I’m insuring my private car. Also remember you will pay tax at the cc rate so anything over about 1.4 will cost you more than commercial taxi

There is no reason not to tax it commercially really, ok your not supposed to use it privately but that is totally ignored by every commercial driver in the country. Also if you want to reclaim the vat, reclaim vat on fuel, reclaim vat on other servicing etc and depreciate the van I think it might look better to have it commercially as it makes it look more like a business van.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The BIK calculation isn't in question: it's 5% if using it for personal use.

It's a van. Known as a "car-derived van" (a hatchback with rear caged-off area and no seats/windows)

No it IS relevant. I believe need to tax it as a commercial vehicle as that is what it is, but I also need to submit the form alongside it which promises I won't use it for personal use... which I will be.

Anyway I thought someone here might know, I'll just contact the motor tax office in the morning.

In order to be taxed as a goods vehicle, it must be used as a goods vehicle. This is precisely why car derived vans etc run by private companies spoke can be taxed in the normal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

I’m not sure you will be able to get private insurance and even if you can I can’t see there being much of a price difference, I was getting commercial quotes recently cheaper than I’m insuring my private car.

I got 2 quotes for this car. A private one initially but when I explained I'd have to tax it commercially (as that's what I thought had to be done) they passed me onto a different advisor that deals with commercial insurance.

The private was €150 cheaper with pretty much the same cover.
    There is no reason not to tax it commercially really, ok your not supposed to use it privately but that is totally ignored by every commercial driver in the country. Also if you want to reclaim the vat, reclaim vat on fuel, reclaim vat on other servicing etc and depreciate the van I think it might look better to have it commercially as it makes it look more like a business van.

My main concern was that if it was taxed incorrectly it might come back to bite me later if I need to claim insurance, or I end up in court for similar?!

Marcusm wrote: »
    In order to be taxed as a goods vehicle, it must be used as a goods vehicle. This is precisely why car derived vans etc run by private companies spoke can be taxed in the normal way.

Pretty much... I was just unclear if I was "allowed" to tax it privately. I want to pay whatever tax is due so that I can

a) keep the van as property of the company
    b) allow employees (i.e. me) to drive it for personal use as a benefit in kind of 5% of OMV

and be correctly taxed/insured for all scenarios.

I wasn't sure if taxing it as private would invalidate the ability to treat it as a commercial vehicle for BIK.

Advertisement