Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It would have been easily worth €500 to be fair.

As rough as it is?

I didn't look at the ad properly before i posted it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

jharr100 wrote: »

Are the 1.6 hdi as bad as some would have you believe? If serviced on the button using the correct oil and filters etc will they be good enough to you? Year and the motor tax makes it attractive on the face of it or is it more French junk that should be avoided?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are the 1.6 hdi as bad as some would have you believe? If serviced on the button using the correct oil and filters etc will they be good enough to you? Year and the motor tax makes it attractive on the face of it or is it more French junk that should be avoided?

Yes once looked after and serviced before recommended.

Electronics can be another story.

Like with any motor it could be fine for you and the next one could give any sort of trouble.

My focus has the same engine.

16 trouble free months, lately though it's a different story, inlet manifold seals,injector seals and now the rocker cover gasket needs doing.

I've looked after it religiously.

The car is back to normal but it has cost me hundreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Yes once looked after and serviced before recommended.

Electronics can be another story.

Like with any motor it could be fine for you and the next one could give any sort of trouble.

Hmm, I appreciate any motor could give you any sort of trouble punisher5112. Its just certain makes and models you could be pretty certain they'd give trouble. Speaking of PSA and electrics I believe I've seen 4 different Citroens/ Peugeots over the past month or thereabouts in front of me and when the driver breaked the indicators/ hazard lights came on instead.

KC161 wrote: »
    My focus has the same engine.

16 trouble free months, lately though it's a different story, inlet manifold seals,injector seals and now the rocker cover gasket needs doing.

I've looked after it religiously.

The car is back to normal but it has cost me hundreds.

A couple of years down the line is where the proof of the pudding is KC161. Most cars will most likely be good for the first five years anyway generally. Its after that you might see which are peaches and which are lemons.

Hmm, I appreciate any motor could give you any sort of trouble punisher5112. Its just certain makes and models you could be pretty certain they'd give trouble. Speaking of PSA and electrics I believe I've seen 4 different Citroens/ Peugeots over the past month or thereabouts in front of me and when the driver breaked the indicators/ hazard lights came on instead.

A couple of years down the line is where the proof of the pudding is KC161. Most cars will most likely be good for the first five years anyway generally. Its after that you might see which are peaches and which are lemons.

Bought her in January last year, she had 1 previous owner since new, that included them importing it from Newcastle at 10 months old.

My regular indie who has fixed the problems said those particular engines, being PSA, are known for trouble.

The 1.8 is the better engine of that era.

The car now has 117k miles.

i've done 26k in 16 months.

I'll be lucky to still have her by 140k at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

They are just problematic in general with regards to turbos etc even with proper servicing. In saying that proper servicing including regular oil changes and cleaning the oil feed pipe and replacing the banjo bolt does considerably reduce the chances of turbo failure on these.

When left too long sludge builds up and blocks the oil feed to the turbo causing the turbo to fail. When this occurs it's nearly impossible to remove all the sludge from this engine even when the proper cleaning procedures are carried out.

That's why it's important to inspect the oil feed on these engines when servicing imo as any bit of sludge left over in the engine can dislodge and cause another blockage and you are back to square one again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,725 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are they Daewoo's or Daihatsu's under a different badge?

Edit: I see now they are of Daihatsu stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Always wanted one of those.

Seriously considering sucking up the costs and going back to a petrol car regardless of engine size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,434 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Epica - I bet there's no other straight six engined '07 car to be found for under a grand. Or an '06, '05, or even '04. NCT until the end of next year is a nice bonus too. Pity it's no auto!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Epica - I bet there's no other straight six engined '07 car to be found for under a grand. Or an '06, '05, or even '04. NCT until the end of next year is a nice bonus too. Pity it's no auto!

Not to mention a Porsche engine

Jaysus, didn't know that. Every day is a school day, isn't that right, múinteoir Colm? :p

Not a bad sounding engine either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Had one for a month, new in 08 I think. Not a bad drive with that engine, you felt like it was a small step above typical rep mobile.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

<wrong thread>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

<wrong thread>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry, meant to post it in the Luxobarge thread, not here.

Raiding the piggy bank a little, but looks like a nice one
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-fiat-panda-1-1l/15264516

Surely these are cool at this stage
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-compact/15193729
    Novel little thing for under a grand.

Not bargain of the year, but looks minded and this colour is very rare
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-toyota-avensis/15264017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Jaysus, didn't know that. Every day is a school day, isn't that right, múinteoir Colm? :p

Not a bad sounding engine either

Biggest issue with them are rear shock absorbers. No aftermarket available, and getting them from a dealer is not easy either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The owner of that 166 is a gent and has spent a good sum on it.

Sadly the previous owner thought he was Michelangelo with the oul paint. It's good from a few feet though

You know what? Sometimes I get a strong feeling from an ad, that the car is a good one. I get that feeling from this ad.

I'd just go up to him, have a nice chat, offer him cash, do a deal and drive away without checking the car over or even driving it

I get this feeling sometimes and I've never been wrong yet. Someday I will get stung, but until then I'd like to think I have a sixth sense for car ads :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Surely these are cool at this stage
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-compact/15193729
    Novel little thing for under a grand.

rovsqof3.6594.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sometimes I get a feeling too - seems too cheap for an '08 car http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/citroen/c4/used-2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Gaspode wrote: »
    Sometimes I get a feeling too - seems too cheap for an '08 car http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/citroen/c4/used-2008

It's cheap because it's a petrol car in diesel land .its also very high mileage so it's not really cheap.

Gaspode wrote: »

That car that went around the globe 7 times...

That shed though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

That shed though!

I hope the tax man isn't watching

It looks so lonely in there.

Is the shed for sale????

It looks so lonely in there.

Is the shed for sale????

Wannabe collector...?!

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Wannabe collector...?!

Picture of car in shed doesn't match car in 1st pic from what I see. Reg number looks different and sticker on windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

How the hell did you find that Colm? Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

long time lurker on this thread and it's predecessors. in the market for a bit of bangernomics now, looking around at the likes of these Rav4's. I'm undecided whether a diesel or petrol would be more suitable, as i'll be hitting around the 18k miles per year range.

petrol

diesel

There are quite a few out there, anything in particular i should look out for in models of that vintage? Also, does anyone know if these have ISOFIX harnesses in the rear seats?

That generation diesel RAV4 is best avoided. The 1.8 2wd isn't far off fuel economy wise and doesn't have the huge chance of expensive repairs that's pretty much a given with the diesel ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Renault Laguna Diesel Privilege

NDk4MTI5ZDdlMGYzMTA4ODExYzE5MzQ2MzRhMjI3NjiInDvLK1xvXO2MKisPBhxJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjE0MjI2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Mileage 214,378 mi
    Fuel Type Diesel
    Transmission Manual
    Engine Size 2.0 litre
    NCT Expiry Feb 2018

Road tax might be 700 spons or thereabouts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

€570 tax for Laguna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

plys wrote: »
    long time lurker on this thread and it's predecessors. in the market for a bit of bangernomics now, looking around at the likes of these Rav4's.

Hi Plys,

What car will you be coming from?

The Petrol you linked looks like its from the 01-03 range - there was a facelift for the 04/05 models.

I have been driving an 05 petrol for well over a year now and it has been completely hassle free. It has ISOFIX in the rear seats.
    When I was buying I elected to not go Diesel for reliability. My mileage is 15k per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Hi Plys,

What car will you be coming from?

The Petrol you linked looks like its from the 01-03 range - there was a facelift for the 04/05 models.

I have been driving an 05 petrol for well over a year now and it has been completely hassle free. It has ISOFIX in the rear seats.
    When I was buying I elected to not go Diesel for reliability. My mileage is 15k per year.

Thanks Angelica Faint Union. planning to buy as a second car. have been struggling on with one car in the house for a good while, with the missus driving it to work, and me on public transport... but the bus eireann strike finally broke me! Other car is '08 Honda Accord ctdi so will be a change going back to petrol.

whatever about fuel, tax, insurance costs, i'm a big fan of no maintenance surprises..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-owner-vw-passat-taxed-and-nctd-like-new/15287801

YWE1YmQ2MDBkZGQyNDg3ZjdhNmMwYmU1N2Q3NDc2MTQBQmVnTEspVcy1ttAjmQyAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjU4NDE5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A one owner Passat for 1k with full history with Air Con.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement