Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC weather and Ireland.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Whatever about the UK weather services not mentioning Ireland ...

In a previous life back in the early 1990's, I installed a high tech (at the time) teleconference system at the UK Met Office HQ in Bracknell, outside London.
    It was used to link all the regional TV weather reporters together so that they could co-ordinate their forecasts.

They would have a phoneconf before every TV weather report went out and each region would give their intended forecast so that they could ensure that they were all expecting the same conditions. This was to avoid the potential for say Granada TV in Manchester sending stormy conditions up towards Scotland only to have Grampian TV (Scotland) then forecast sunny skies.

They would generally agree the wording to be used for each area to make sure the forecast remained consistent across the country, with the senior forecaster on duty having the last decision, if agreements could not be reached.

I would imagine there might be a bit of the same cooperation required if the UK mentioned our weather, or vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Whatever about the UK weather services not mentioning Ireland ...

In a previous life back in the early 1990's, I installed a high tech (at the time) teleconference system at the UK Met Office HQ in Bracknell, outside London.
    It was used to link all the regional TV weather reporters together so that they could co-ordinate their forecasts.

They would have a phoneconf before every TV weather report went out and each region would give their intended forecast so that they could ensure that they were all expecting the same conditions. This was to avoid the potential for say Granada TV in Manchester sending stormy conditions up towards Scotland only to have Grampian TV (Scotland) then forecast sunny skies.

They would generally agree the wording to be used for each area to make sure the forecast remained consistent across the country, with the senior forecaster on duty having the last decision, if agreements could not be reached.

I would imagine there might be a bit of the same cooperation required if the UK mentioned our weather, or vice versa.

There is direct contact in relation to Storms (the ones that are named) as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

We are sort of independent but we are not really.

We want to be sort of independent but we don't want to be really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I don't agree with this idea at all. It will only lead to trouble due to the differences in criteria between the two authorities.

The UKMO is responsible for Northern Ireland, therefore they and only they should issue warnings for there. If Met Éireann want to show these UKMO warnings, as shown on the official Meteolarm website, on their website then so be it, but for them to be generating warnings for somewhere out of their jurisdiction is not on. We don't see Begium issuing warnings for Netherlands, etc., and vice versa. The weather cares not who issues warnings and for where, but if MÉ issues Yellow and the UKMO issues Amber, which is right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Northern Ireland is complicated. There is a sizable majority* up there that feel more historically and culturally connected to the Republic than the UK, so I can see where Met Eireann is coming from. Having said that, and as GL explains, the UK Met uses a different criteria for warnings than Met Éireann, so not sure how that is going to work. Do Met Eireann use their own criteria, or that of the UK Met's when issuing warning for the North?

* Edit: 'sizable majority' should read 'sizable minority'.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The Nal wrote: »
    The vast majority of French, Belgians, Dutch and Norwegians have access to the BBC too and are very close neighbours.

The BBC is a bit unique because its funded so heavily by the British taxpayer which none of the countries above contribute to. Nor us.

Joe Jellied Eel in Lambeth who pays his fee couldn't care less about the weather in Laois being on the 9 oclock news.

Oi, I can assure you that Joe in Lambeth cares very much about the weather in Laois. He visits laoisweather.com on a regular basis to see what is happening over the Irish interior. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

The same reason why RTÉ don't report on weather in Azerbaijan.

Advertisement