Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC weather and Ireland.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The British public fund the BBC with the license fee. We're not British so are not entitled to that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    First to admit that I have never watch the SKY news weather, and haven't really watched the RTE TV weather in a long while either because I am sick of the ads and sponsorships that cushion it on both sides. A quick read of their ad free forecast on their website is adequate.

The RTE forecast has not been the same for me since John Eagleton retired. I watch it sometimes, but mostly i look at their website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The Nal wrote: »
    The British public fund the BBC with the license fee.

Not for long more, hopefully. And hopefully we will come to question as to why we are forced to pay a licence fee for our 'national broadcaster' as well, particularly when they are also being being funded by ad revenue as well.

New Moon

Not for long more, hopefully. And hopefully we will come to question as to why we are forced to pay a licence fee for our 'national broadcaster' as well, particularly when they are also being being funded by ad revenue as well.

No issue with RTE being binned but the Beeb produce great stuff. Always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Most European national channels only show their own country and not others. Take today's German bulletin from the national channel ARD1. Only Germany is shown and none of the other German-speaking countries like Austria and Switzerland.

To be giving out about BBC not wasting valuable broadcast seconds talking about Ballydehob is just ridiculous. At least they show the model data. If someone can't figure out where Dublin or Cork is from a map then they need help.

515784.png

515785.png

• Advertisement

To be honest, I think anyone who needs to have place names on a weather map in the first place needs help. They are distracting and unnecessary. And if you don't know where Galway or Dublin or Cork is on the map to begin with, then that doesn't say much about your basic level of intelligence.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Madeoface

BBC Norn Iron usually show a graphic of the entire island...if u can sit thru 5 mins of Newsline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Madeoface wrote: »
    BBC Norn Iron usually show a graphic of the entire island...if u can sit thru 5 mins of Newsline.

Lol newsline. That is depressing stuff

To be honest, I think anyone who needs to have place names on a weather map in the first place needs help. They are distracting and unnecessary. And if you don't know where Galway or Dublin or Cork is on the map to begin with, then that doesn't say much about your basic level of intelligence.

I really hate it when some presenters on RTÉ put in the names of every county, with the county outlines too. Clutter for the sake of clutter. If someone doesn't know where in Ireland they're living then they're sure as hell not going to be able to follow what the will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Part of your Sky/Virgin subscription goes to the BBC for carriage of the channels.

Nobody wants Irish cities to get a mention on BBC weather, but you can't show a map of the UK without including Ireland - so it's nothing to them to drop a few place names. Exactly the same as ITV already does. It's not about the weather itself, it's just an acknowledgement of a close neighbour.

RTE show Belfast on their weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

JDxtra wrote: »

RTE show Belfast on their weather.

Deary deary me. Are you for real?
    I do wonder about the education system in this country at times. I really do.
    Ask yourself, why show Belfast on a map of Ireland and work back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

OldRio wrote: »
    Deary deary me. Are you for real?
    I do wonder about the education system in this country at times. I really do.
    Ask yourself, why show Belfast on a map of Ireland and work back from that.

Sorry, but you you are not understanding the issue. It's not about the location of the cities. It's about a courtesy of showing them on a map. RTE weather shows Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc. and Belfast. RTE don't leave a blank space for the whole of NI.

BBC leave a very obvious and intentional blank space over the republic when the vast majority of people in the republic have access to BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sorry, but you you are not understanding the issue. It's not about the location of the cities. It's about a courtesy of showing them on a map. RTE weather shows Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc. and Belfast. RTE don't leave a blank space for the whole of NI.

BBC leave a very obvious and intentional blank space over the republic when the vast majority of people in the republic have access to BBC.

Why do you think RTE don't leave a blank space? Think about it.

The vast majority of French, Belgians, Dutch and Norwegians have access to the BBC too and are very close neighbours.

The BBC is a bit unique because its funded so heavily by the British taxpayer which none of the countries above contribute to. Nor us.

Joe Jellied Eel in Lambeth who pays his fee couldn't care less about the weather in Laois being on the 9 oclock news.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

three pages of comment on the weather forecast.
    is there a fresh storm or 5 feet of snow forecast?

Do you people not know there is a killer pandemic abroad to have a serious pointless argument about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

three pages of comment on the weather forecast.
    is there a fresh storm or 5 feet of snow forecast?

Do you people not know there is a killer pandemic abroad to have a serious pointless argument about?

You know where the pandemic treads are
    Go post in them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

while it would be nice to have the BBC mention our cities and show our weather they don't have to. The old forecast with the weather symbols up to about 2006 I think used to show Ireland and the cities but this was stopped once they brought in the new system without symbols. It doesn't bother me greatly but I do find myself over the years watching BBC weather forecasts much less than I used to.

Even in Spain when I watch the forecasts there, they don't show any symbols or information for Portugal, Gibraltar or France. You get the forecast for the Spanish mainland, the islands an the enclaves. BBC do include Ireland on their website and I've seen it mentioned on BBC World forecasts too.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This must have been asked before but I can’t find anything on it.
    Why does the bbc tv weather forecast not give any details on Ireland, it doesn’t even show Dublin on the map?

We get so vexed if foreigners mistake us for English and yet we seem to want so many things in the UK to be ours.

I remember the time people got so vexed because they couldn't vote in the X factor - an English TV show.

It's not the BBC's job to forecast the weather in the Rep of Ireland. It's a bit annoying, yes, but we're different countries. And as someone else pointed out, if they did include Dublin, people would probably complain that it's some type of post-colonial brain washing.

compsys wrote: »
    We get so vexed if foreigners mistake us for English and yet we seem to want so many things in the UK to be ours.

I remember the time people got so vexed because they couldn't vote in the X factor - an English TV show.

It's not the BBC's job to forecast the weather in the Rep of Ireland. It's a bit annoying, yes, but we're different countries. And as someone else pointed out, if they did include Dublin, people would probably complain that it's some type of post-colonial brain washing.

As I mentioned last night though, the BBC and the UK Met Office still give forecasts for Ireland on their website. So do the DMI and I am sure other European Met Services do. When all is said and done, British and Euro met agencies are not half as insular as our own one.. not that I hold that against them, but that is what it is.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Whatever about the UK weather services not mentioning Ireland ...

In a previous life back in the early 1990's, I installed a high tech (at the time) teleconference system at the UK Met Office HQ in Bracknell, outside London.
    It was used to link all the regional TV weather reporters together so that they could co-ordinate their forecasts.

They would have a phoneconf before every TV weather report went out and each region would give their intended forecast so that they could ensure that they were all expecting the same conditions. This was to avoid the potential for say Granada TV in Manchester sending stormy conditions up towards Scotland only to have Grampian TV (Scotland) then forecast sunny skies.

They would generally agree the wording to be used for each area to make sure the forecast remained consistent across the country, with the senior forecaster on duty having the last decision, if agreements could not be reached.

I would imagine there might be a bit of the same cooperation required if the UK mentioned our weather, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Whatever about the UK weather services not mentioning Ireland ...

In a previous life back in the early 1990's, I installed a high tech (at the time) teleconference system at the UK Met Office HQ in Bracknell, outside London.
    It was used to link all the regional TV weather reporters together so that they could co-ordinate their forecasts.

They would have a phoneconf before every TV weather report went out and each region would give their intended forecast so that they could ensure that they were all expecting the same conditions. This was to avoid the potential for say Granada TV in Manchester sending stormy conditions up towards Scotland only to have Grampian TV (Scotland) then forecast sunny skies.

They would generally agree the wording to be used for each area to make sure the forecast remained consistent across the country, with the senior forecaster on duty having the last decision, if agreements could not be reached.

I would imagine there might be a bit of the same cooperation required if the UK mentioned our weather, or vice versa.

There is direct contact in relation to Storms (the ones that are named) as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

We are sort of independent but we are not really.

We want to be sort of independent but we don't want to be really.

I don't agree with this idea at all. It will only lead to trouble due to the differences in criteria between the two authorities.

The UKMO is responsible for Northern Ireland, therefore they and only they should issue warnings for there. If Met Éireann want to show these UKMO warnings, as shown on the official Meteolarm website, on their website then so be it, but for them to be generating warnings for somewhere out of their jurisdiction is not on. We don't see Begium issuing warnings for Netherlands, etc., and vice versa. The weather cares not who issues warnings and for where, but if MÉ issues Yellow and the UKMO issues Amber, which is right?

Northern Ireland is complicated. There is a sizable majority* up there that feel more historically and culturally connected to the Republic than the UK, so I can see where Met Eireann is coming from. Having said that, and as GL explains, the UK Met uses a different criteria for warnings than Met Éireann, so not sure how that is going to work. Do Met Eireann use their own criteria, or that of the UK Met's when issuing warning for the North?

* Edit: 'sizable majority' should read 'sizable minority'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The Nal wrote: »
    The vast majority of French, Belgians, Dutch and Norwegians have access to the BBC too and are very close neighbours.

The BBC is a bit unique because its funded so heavily by the British taxpayer which none of the countries above contribute to. Nor us.

Joe Jellied Eel in Lambeth who pays his fee couldn't care less about the weather in Laois being on the 9 oclock news.

Oi, I can assure you that Joe in Lambeth cares very much about the weather in Laois. He visits laoisweather.com on a regular basis to see what is happening over the Irish interior. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

The same reason why RTÉ don't report on weather in Azerbaijan.

Advertisement