Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

sportier classic

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I hear you, fear not :)

For reference, though I've been & am still looking for the SM (sort of a 'Graal' thing ;) ), I'm not sure I'd buy it even if I did eventually find it. Got two nice-ish cars already, I doubt finances (or the Missus) would follow on a 3rd, classic one.

At the mo', I still prefer to spend the cash upkeeping (fastidiously) my MX-5 with a view to let it mature into a classic over the years :D (e.g. no mod allowed). It's got a bit of speciality about it ('98, amongst last batch of 400 made with pop-ups headlights), I know where it came from, where it's been since and how it's been looked after & driven for most of its life.

IMHO, it really is one of those very few 'modern but classic' cars (a modernly-built car designed according to classic dogma) that doesn't really deserve the whole 'haidresser' thing. It always brings a smile driving it, which is what classics are all about, arent' they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

You should consider a Triumph GT6 (assuming you don't have kids...)
    This is what mine looked like the last time I saw it....

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

wise words ambro25. Keep that Mazda as original as possible. It will become a classic in time, and it already has a certain collector's status! The fact that so many of them were sold is what's going to weigh against them in the future, but no doubt they will and sort of are, an appreciating classic.

By the way, Stratos, I'm sure you were referring to the "Alfa Romeo" Montreal as there was never a "Lancia" with that name. Indeed, the Montreal with a quickly designed and executed front mounted V8 (that was supposed to have gone in the Rear according to the original designs of the car!) and extremely troublesome Spica fuel injection system, makes the Montreal a car that would put it on the same level of reliability as the Citroen SM.

Baby daughter, Merrion - and she absolutely loves the MX (though I draw funny looks when people clock her in her baby seat fastened on passenger seat ;) )...

...Probably because she can see better outside in that than in the Scoob (seat sits higher) + she's still not over the fact that she can look straight up & see clouds - the 'oh'-look is priceless!

PaulK_ - trying to, had some panels resprayed already (after b*nts in car parks did dent them quite severely over period of time) + not so easy, given specific color (and it's a modern car - [tremble] I'd hate to think having to find a reputable sprayer for an original paint job on a classic [/tremble]). All stock & mint, except for one little piece of rubber of the luggage rack (it's 'screwed in' flush with the boot, no the usual 'scaffold' stuff you see around) - been trying to find one for 2 years now :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

mike65 wrote:
    Hi Paul,

I take it that Classic Cars Ireland is your site. If so, its nice but needs updating a bit via-a-vis Benefits page and NCT. Also on the insurance front
    carolnash will offer cover for cars over 20 years old

I thought Carole Nash would insure a car younger than 20 years ?
    (IIRC, they were quoting me for a c.16 year old car in 2000/01)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PaulK_CCI wrote:

By the way, Stratos, I'm sure you were referring to the "Alfa Romeo" Montreal as there was never a "Lancia" with that name. Indeed, the Montreal with a quickly designed and executed front mounted V8 (that was supposed to have gone in the Rear according to the original designs of the car!) and extremely troublesome Spica fuel injection system, makes the Montreal a car that would put it on the same level of reliability as the Citroen SM.

Maybe Stratos might be confusing Monte Carlo and Montreal?
    1976_lancia_beta_monte_carlo_08_m.jpg

The Lancia Beta "Monte Carlo" Not a happy read It looks fantastic though!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

My deepest apologies. I did mean the alfa romeo montreal. I sorta knew when i typed it was wrong. Honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Ambro thats a real neat MX5 you have. The wheels really suit it (are they factory spec) and as you say the boot luggage rack is tastefully fitted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Jeez ambro I'm looking for an mx5 at the mo, people just want silly money. I will prevail. Just can't wait to get my hands on one. the throttle steering alone is awesome. It's a car I never ever ever considered 'till i tried one. Stamp your foot and smile sideways.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

For all you SM (!) lovers there - just spotted this...

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=259988&ID=15975901&frmFilter=All

LATER!

• Advertisement

Ambro thats a real neat MX5 you have. The wheels really suit it (are they factory spec) and as you say the boot luggage rack is tastefully fitted :)

Thanks. Wheels & boot rack are std spec (but its a ltd ed - no. 259 out of 400, last batch made with pop-ups, though can't remember if it was last 400 for Europe or altogether). 1.8l rated @ 130bhp, also has stainless sill plates, full leather/veneer, & other bits'n bobs.

I've lost one of the black rubber inserts on the boot rack (at 125 mph+, was racing a Dutch Elise in Belgium - I won but he did have an enormous travel box on his bootrack :D ). Never found a replacement yet, and I'm a bit reticent to spend the £350 the dealers want to buy the whole setup again. I'd spend it if I won it on something, mind :)

Still, I've got markers with 100+ breakers throughout the UK, for parts, soon as they get a Berk' in ;) .
    Jeez ambro I'm looking for an mx5 at the mo, people just want silly money. I will prevail. Just can't wait to get my hands on one. the throttle steering alone is awesome. It's a car I never ever ever considered 'till i tried one. Stamp your foot and smile sideways.

Ah well... you will hear & read the hairdresser jokes - but those making them are either not in-the-know or just plain jealous :D .
    Bit of advice: go 1.8l, not 1.6l (unless you manage to find one of the ultra-rare semi-official 1.6 Turbos).
    Oh, and try & make it a pre-facelift (Apr '98, I think) - power steering is too soft in new models.

BTW - Man, that SM is one sweet motor and deal, but only insofar as the seller can prove history & "immaculate condition" (some US exporters are quite masterful at 'putty-ing' export classics :( ).

Advertisement