Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG CX on special in Harvey Norman this weekend only. Can pay deposit.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EarWig

theteal wrote: »
    It's a good thing that warranties mean next to nothing with regards to Irish consumer law. A TV that breaks itself performing it's sole function within an unreasonably short time frame is nor fit for purpose not reasonably durable. Such a case would not take long in front of the small claims court.
    Sure, but........

Could I deliberately cause burn-in after say 8 months of use and get a replacement within the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

EarWig wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that burn-in isn't covered by warranty because OLED does need careful treatment? In your case you deserve it.

Thanks for that! Welcome to Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

EarWig wrote: »
    Sure, but........

Could I deliberately cause burn-in after say 8 months of use and get a replacement within the year?

Oh they'll cover it for one year. Not sure how you can deliberately cause it, it's a TV, if it can't display content without breaking itself, it's faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I've an LG 55 B7 that was an ex display model purchased in July 2018. Used a lot for long gaming sessions with UI elements static for hours at a time. Not a whisper of retention or burn in, I've never used the refresher (you're supposed to use that sparingly I believe). Picked up the 55CX last weekend, it's sitting here in the spare room waiting for a couch and a unit to arrive so I can finish turning our office into a games den.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Any deals on OLEDS around these days? I saw a Panasonic 55hz980 ex display model for 999 around but don't know if its worth the risk vs the 55CX at 1350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Any deals on OLEDS around these days? I saw a Panasonic 55hz980 ex display model for 999 around but don't know if its worth the risk vs the 55CX at 1350

Panasonic are better TV, but have inferior OS. They were the only ones that are not affected by the infamous 'Chrominance overshoot' issue all other brands were (LG, Sony, Philips, HiSense and Visio). Their color calibration from factory is the best as well.

If you intend on not using built-in apps and rely on FireTV, GoogleTV or AppleTV, Panasonic is a very good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I would say though that 55Hz vs a TV capable of 120Hz is a big difference and should be considered.

Better to go for that or wait for further drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

I would say though that 55Hz vs a TV capable of 120Hz is a big difference and should be considered.

Better to go for that or wait for further drops.

HZ980 is the model number and 55 is the screen size, nothing to do with its refresh rate

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

grogi wrote: »
    If you intend on not using built-in apps and rely on FireTV, GoogleTV or AppleTV, Panasonic is a very good bet.

I'd point out that the built-in apps are extremely good and it is a major bonus. My Shield TV and Fire TV now go unused, the built-in apps are so good. Though as pointed out the CX lacks DTS support.

It makes it much more family friendly to just have all the apps directly on the TV and not mess around with external boxes, etc.

bk wrote: »
    I'd point out that the built-in apps are extremely good and it is a major bonus. My Shield TV and Fire TV now go unused, the built-in apps are so good. Though as pointed out the CX lacks DTS support.

Even in pass-through mode? That's a bummer...
    It makes it much more family friendly to just have all the apps directly on the TV and not mess around with external boxes, etc.

With proper implementation of HDMI CEC, it's still one remote operation. One remote switches the whole party on, navigates the box, controls the volume of the audio equipment etc...

Full disclosure: I'm using built-in apps in my LG too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bk wrote: »

Tbf I just walk into the sitting room and ask Google to turn on the shield and play whatever. It's as family friendly as using your voice. Simple. I prefer the continued updates nvidia give .

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭PCDub

[HTML][/HTML]

Richersounds doing them new for 1049e and have a philips for 999e

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204873-panasonic-tx55hz980b-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-premium-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Did some reading and lack of DTS Passthrough on 2020 LG models is shocking...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Even in pass-through mode? That's a bummer...

Seemingly, it is terrible, but I've a C9, so not impacted by this. It is crazy that the newer model year TV's actually have less features! The C9 seems like it was the perfect TV. It is even 20% brighter then the CX!

There is a workaround for this, plug something like Shield TV, Apple, TV, etc. directly into a soundbar or AV that supports DTS. But that adds extra complexity, which I'm glad to be able to avoid.
    With proper implementation of HDMI CEC, it's still one remote operation. One remote switches the whole party on, navigates the box, controls the volume of the audio equipment etc...

Full disclosure: I'm using built-in apps in my LG too :D

Yep, I still have the Shield TV plugged in and single remote works, but honestly, we simply haven't used it in months. It isn't worth the extra trouble of a few extra button clicks when the built-in apps work so well.
    listermint wrote: »
    Tbf I just walk into the sitting room and ask Google to turn on the shield and play whatever. It's as family friendly as using your voice. Simple. I prefer the continued updates nvidia give .

I have that set up too, but I find voice not to be very intuitive and the family hate using it. BTW LG constantly update the apps too.

LG are completely clueless what they want to do. They can't compete on price with HiSense, Visio and TCL, so should compete on quality and compatibility. They should make it their staple, but they do the opposite...

Their TVs will end up like their smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

LG are completely clueless what they want to do. They can't compete on price with HiSense, Visio and TCL, so should compete on quality and compatibility. They should make it their staple, but they do the opposite...

Their TVs will end up like their smart phones.

From what I know this range of TVs (the 9s anyway) are considered some of the best available?

From what I know this range of TVs (the 9s anyway) are considered some of the best available?

The picture quality is one of the best, second only to Panasonic and on par with other OLEDs.

The quality of their Firmware leaves however a lot on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

The picture quality is one of the best, second only to Panasonic and on par with other OLEDs.

So they’re on par with Sony et al, but cost thousands less?

Think they’re doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Second only to Panasonic, so you think both of them would be better than the Sony A90J for example? I thought Sony's flagships were considered the best picture quality?

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    Second only to Panasonic, so you think both of them would be better than the Sony A90J for example? I thought Sony's flagships were considered the best picture quality?

I haven't used the Sony your mentioning here. I bet you'd be equally happy with the picture quality of both and if there are any differences, you will have to have both TV side by side and overanalyze it massively to see any difference. From practical point of view they are identical.

However, TV is not only about picture quality. Picture quality is important, but you can enjoy it only if the TV around the screen works fine.

The amount of bugs (gamma curves was broken in on of the updates and never fixed, WiFI hasn't been working after upgrade etc.), annoyances (exp. forgetfulness of the TV about your sound settings after you connect and disconnect BT headset), incompatibilities (ARC/eARC implementation causes a lot of trouble with receivers that otherwise work perfectly fine, delays of ~1 second that make it unusable, now lack of DTS even in passthrough), false promises (magic remote only theoretically can control other devices over Ir - it is far to slow to do that) and ergonomically questionable solution in the LG, plus the most appalling CS of the Korean brand which will not only not help you, but also lie in to your face make me say the Sony is a better TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

I haven't used the Sony your mentioning here. I bet you'd be equally happy with the picture quality of both and if there are any differences, you will have to have both TV side by side and overanalyze it massively to see any difference. From practical point of view they are identical.

However, TV is not only about picture quality. Picture quality is important, but you can enjoy it only if the TV around the screen works fine.

The amount of bugs (gamma curves was broken in on of the updates and never fixed, WiFI hasn't been working after upgrade etc.), annoyances (exp. forgetfulness of the TV about your sound settings after you connect and disconnect BT headset), incompatibilities (ARC/eARC implementation causes a lot of trouble with receivers that otherwise work perfectly fine, delays of ~1 second that make it unusable, now lack of DTS even in passthrough), false promises (magic remote only theoretically can control other devices over Ir - it is far to slow to do that) and ergonomically questionable solution in the LG, plus the most appalling CS of the Korean brand which will not only not help you, but also lie in to your face make me say the Sony is a better TV.

I have the Sony a90j. It’s awesome but it’s a 3k tv.. LG have a g1 model which is comparable to to a90 which is 500 euro cheaper. The cx and c1 from LG are solid TVs and at much cheaper I wouldn’t be to upset with either of them

I have the Sony a90j. It’s awesome but it’s a 3k tv.. LG have a g1 model which is comparable to to a90 which is 500 euro cheaper. The cx and c1 from LG are solid TVs and at much cheaper I wouldn’t be to upset with either of them
    ?

You don't mention anything in the Sony that actually doesn't work. All the examples I have you are my personal issues and experiences with LG, you'll find much more online.

Sony's on the other hand are generally solid, only the x900f/xf90 (that's LCD I know) was too slow, before Sony upped the Android version on it. That wouldn't have happened with LG. I also don't know what you mean by 3K TV, is there an artificial aliasing filter that reduces horizonal resolution? Coukd you tell the difference in a blind test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

?

You don't mention anything in the Sony that actually doesn't work. All the examples I have you are my personal issues and experiences with LG, you'll find much more online.

Sony's on the other hand are generally solid, only the x900f/xf90 (that's LCD I know) was too slow, before Sony upped the Android version on it. That wouldn't have happened with LG. I also don't know what you mean by 3K TV, is there an artificial aliasing filter that reduces horizonal resolution? Coukd you tell the difference in a blind test?

I mean the a90 costs 3 thousand euro :)

I had an LG 2017 e series which was also excellent. If you could buy a cx for half the price of the Sony I’d be very tempted. It’s definitely not twice as good as the LG but it’s like anything. The ten percent extra performance costs a lot more

Also I everyone online will have issues with various TVs. There is no perfect tv

I mean the a90 costs 3 thousand euro :)

I had an LG 2017 e series which was also excellent. If you could buy a cx for half the price of the Sony I’d be very tempted. It’s definitely not twice as good as the LG but it’s like anything. The ten percent extra performance costs a lot more

Also I everyone online will have issues with various TVs. There is no perfect tv

True. LG however cuts corners in places where it costs them nothing. Like the non-detachable power cable. Or breaks things that were fine before. I won't be buying LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've a CX and experience none of those issues. If I'm too lazy to get the Sky or another remote, I just use the LGs one and there's no delay, TV doesn't forget its settings after I've used a bluetooth headset, WiFi was never an issue. ARC/eARC issues are industry wide and the only thing that gives me problems is when I try use Atmos on the Xbox which introduces lag, and like I said, that's across the manufacturers with the finger pointing to Microsoft on that. Can't say I'd even noticed the lack of DTS, nor would the majority of people, had they not read about it or weren't audiophiles. I haven't even read about the WiFi or issues after using bluetooth on the big LG threads on the likes of AVforums.

It's the nature of software and hardware compatibility on everything, it's not unique to TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I've a CX arriving tomorrow. Please be more positive guys so I feel better about spending €1,400 on a TV haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I've a CX arriving tomorrow. Please be more positive guys so I feel better about spending €1,400 on a TV haha

Alot of the issues are stuff 90% of users will never notice.
    I think the debate is more picking out the difference between LG and their competitors in a similar price bracket.

It will be a massive upgrade on any tv you have had previously. Well wear , just make sure you make the most of it and remember the best content for these tvs will be a UHD blu ray player and some movies to go with it . The streaming services are all compressed and wont achieve the same quality as a UHD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’ve 2 LGS and one Samsung . I find the lgs excellent. No issues whatsoever . The Samsung on the other hand ........
    We are building a new house and will be replacing Samsung with another LG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Well since buying mine I have not looked back or regretted the purchase.
    The tv looks insane and the actual the design of the unit makes a gorgeous feature in my living room.

The magic remote works flawlessly to turn up my Sony 5.1 and control my firestick. The pointer can be annoying at times is my only one complaint.

Casting any device in my house on the WiFi to the tv is flawless as well.
    The operating system is extremely responsive and funnily enough even without my Sony 5.1 the sound is actually very good on this tv providing plenty of bass.

I watched a live gig yesterday and am still in awe looking at this tv.

You won’t regret this purchase and I am yet to come across any of the issues mentioned in this thread above.
    No WiFi issues, no issues with remote, it doesn’t support DTS but I knew this going in, for 99% of people they won’t notice or care about some trivial issues mentioned above. I paid 1250 for the tv and I’m happy out. If I paid 1400 I’d still be pleased with my purchase. What a beauty.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    I’ve 2 LGS and one Samsung . I find the lgs excellent. No issues whatsoever . The Samsung on the other hand ........
    We are building a new house and will be replacing Samsung with another LG

Samsung TVs are a completely different league all right :D I love their simple remote, but that's about it. They will even put different panels - sometimes IPS, sometimes VA, in exactly same TV model. You never know what you get with Samsung, much worse than LG all right.

Advertisement