Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Looking at picking up a 3 unit mesh system for the house (like the TENDA Nova MW5)

Over the last year, I would say there are 5 or 6 additional items connecting to the wifi and connectivity seems to be getting worse.

The current location of the modem and wifi router is in the utility room, which isn't in the best or easiest spot to get at quickly.

From the router, I have 4 wired points around the house which are going to office and a couple of TV's. So, my thoughts are

Keep existing router
    Disable Wifi on it
    Connect the mesh wifi router from within the upstairs office
    Connect 2 remaining units ( 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs).

Thoughts?

I presume the mesh router will need to support some form of access point feature for this to work?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Looking at picking up a 3 unit mesh system for the house (like the TENDA Nova MW5)

Over the last year, I would say there are 5 or 6 additional items connecting to the wifi and connectivity seems to be getting worse.

The current location of the modem and wifi router is in the utility room, which isn't in the best or easiest spot to get at quickly.

From the router, I have 4 wired points around the house which are going to office and a couple of TV's. So, my thoughts are

Keep existing router
    Disable Wifi on it

Thoughts?

I presume the mesh router will need to support some form of access point feature for this to work?

Yes, all mesh have access point mode which is exactly what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

LowOdour wrote: »

Keep existing router
    Disable Wifi on it

Thoughts?

You don't need another router. Just add mesh devices and set them up in "Access Point" mode. You can use your wiring to connect the additional access points back to your existing router. Yes - disable WiFi on your existing router (unless it is a brand that supports Mesh units eg Eir F3000, in which case you should stick with your ISP branded mesh) Since you have wiring, you should also consider Ubiquiti Unifi access points. These can be powered over your Ethernet cabling, so you won't need power at each access point. They work in tandem with each other to provide seamless WiFi coverage, just like other Mesh systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I've been following this thread for months, often contributing. I've come to the decision that I've outgrown my Google Wifi x 3. They are fantastic devices and do what they do excellently and are extremely easy to use.... However, I consider myself a power user. I want them to do more but they are not willing.

With a lot of the great feedback here, I've decided to dump them onto adverts.ie and get myself a 3 x DOCO M5's instead. I was considering the M9 but I don't need ZigBee. This would give me greater flexibility in my network and remove one more router from my, already, complicated mix.

Is Zigbee the only main difference between the M5 and M9? It's the only tech different I could find, other than maybe a little extra range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm also considering upgrading my mesh but only because it doesn't have WiFi 6, I can't see the benefit to moving to another device type when WiFi 6 is so close, I'll probably pick up WiFi 6 system when become they become affordable, I' close to picking up a 6 router to have a second WiFi network in the house just for 6 but I think I'll wait on that for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Need some advice,

I just moved my office in my house, I had powerlines and it was great, Plugged into the wall and was getting good figures.

In the new room and the powerlines barely get 5Mbps.

I'm now looking at wifi mesh but I need to get an ethernet out of it to go into a router on my desk for some bits of equipment which doesn't have any wifi. Anyone know a bit of kit that would do that?

afatbollix wrote: »
    Need some advice,

I just moved my office in my house, I had powerlines and it was great, Plugged into the wall and was getting good figures.

In the new room and the powerlines barely get 5Mbps.

I'm now looking at wifi mesh but I need to get an ethernet out of it to go into a router on my desk for some bits of equipment which doesn't have any wifi. Anyone know a bit of kit that would do that?
    Literally two posts up. DOCO M5

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

RangeR wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for months, often contributing. I've come to the decision that I've outgrown my Google Wifi x 3. They are fantastic devices and do what they do excellently and are extremely easy to use.... However, I consider myself a power user. I want them to do more but they are not willing.

With a lot of the great feedback here, I've decided to dump them onto adverts.ie and get myself a 3 x DOCO M5's instead. I was considering the M9 but I don't need ZigBee. This would give me greater flexibility in my network and remove one more router from my, already, complicated mix.

Is Zigbee the only main difference between the M5 and M9? It's the only tech different I could find, other than maybe a little extra range.

Are the docos that much more advanced than the Google system? Would unifi not be the next step?

Cyrus wrote: »
    Are the docos that much more advanced than the Google system? Would unifi not be the next step?

Yeah, might look at Unifi. Google Wifi is great but if they are meshed, you MUST use their router. I don't want to. I want to use my own router. The other drawback is that all configuration is done through an app. I want a web ui in my browser when I'm on the PC. PITA.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »

M5 hands down over the S4. The M5 is a neater design and not as bulky. It also has a stronger antenna so can cover more area. Your links are the same price but you are only getting 2xM5 but 3xS4's. Both will do a good job, I would reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

M5 hands down over the S4. The M5 is a neater design and not as bulky. It also has a stronger antenna so can cover more area. Your links are the same price but you are only getting 2xM5 but 3xS4's. Both will do a good job, I would reckon.

Wow, Got them today. What a difference! How did I not live with these before! Faster wifi than my broadband router. Faster speeds than wired too which is a bit weird but just wow. Already connected to all my hardware in my demo lab and on the right subnet!

Think these are up there with Dusty my robo hover.

Thanks RangeR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

For the non-tecnhies amongst us, what is the difference in these 3. Presumably all can link into PC via ethernet cable too (which I see google nest wifi no longer does)? deco s4, m4, m5

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/compare/?typeId=5700&productIds=38653%2C35616%2C35611

😎

there is an e4 too. Is amazon the best bet?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

there is an e4 too. Is amazon the best bet?

E4 is only 100Mb ethernet ports so you wont get full benefit if your ISP does higher speeds (or for local network traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

For the non-tecnhies amongst us, what is the difference in these 3. Presumably all can link into PC via ethernet cable too (which I see google nest wifi no longer does)? deco s4, m4, m5

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/compare/?typeId=5700&productIds=38653%2C35616%2C35611

S4 is a minor refresh of M4, get it if cheaper or same price but M4 broadly similar.

M5 has a smaller form factor and in theory should be better as has more antennas (though they might be smaller given the form factor).

Thank you. Will avoid E4, sounds like for most users the other 3 are basically the same unless someone is fussy about their size or look.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Just want to offer some feedback that might help others.

Over the past year i smartified my house(standard 3 bed semi). With 50+ devices now. I had virgin media hub 3.0 router upstairs and a TP link access point(AC1750/RE450) downstairs but directly wired to the router upstairs. I experienced sparadic issues constantly like wireless light switches dropping out, firesticks buffering while streaming some apps, Echo studio sound dropping out while watching TV.

I concluded the virgin media router was just not up to the task of 50+ devices so i bought a wifi6 router, TP Link Archer AX50. I got rid of the acess point downstairs. This wifi6 router is now running everything perfectly with super fast wifi all over the house and no more issues with anything its a great solution imho.

Just want to offer some feedback that might help others.

Over the past year i smartified my house(standard 3 bed semi). With 50+ devices now. I had virgin media hub 3.0 router upstairs and a TP link access point(AC1750/RE450) downstairs but directly wired to the router upstairs. I experienced sparadic issues constantly like wireless light switches dropping out, firesticks buffering while streaming some apps, Echo studio sound dropping out while watching TV.

I concluded the virgin media router was just not up to the task of 50+ devices so i bought a wifi6 router, TP Link Archer AX50. I got rid of the acess point downstairs. This wifi6 router is now running everything perfectly with super fast wifi all over the house and no more issues with anything its a great solution imho.

Good stuff.

Did you bridge your VM router? This may cause double NAT [you generally don't want this] if you have two routers on the same network. It may also cause DHCP issues if you have both devices issuing IP addresses to devices. Might not be an issue now but may become an issue when you try to talk between devices.

Do you have the VM WIFI still on? This may cause interference with the TPLink WIFI, unless on different channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Good stuff.

Did you bridge your VM router? This may cause double NAT [you generally don't want this] if you have two routers on the same network. It may also cause DHCP issues if you have both devices issuing IP addresses to devices. Might not be an issue now but may become an issue when you try to talk between devices.

Do you have the VM WIFI still on? This may cause interference with the TPLink WIFI, unless on different channels.

I have the virgin media router in modem mode.
    The tp link ax50 connected to it in bedroom upstairs. Attic is converted so router serves the whole house. The speeds are excellent everywhere. A modern phone with WiFi 5 getting 180mb minimum(usually 240mb+) downstairs from a 250mb max. in the future when all devices are WiFi 6 it can only be better..

The main thing I have learned is the WiFi 6 router has a powerful CPU which manages and controls the internet way better that the virgin media router and access point (even without WiFi 6 devices)(. I did not realise how badly controlled my internet was previously. It's a huge eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i have a google mesh network - 1 primary, connected to the vodafone ftth router and 5 wifi points (1st gen, not the newer Nest version)

(the only devices that use the vodafone router are wired to it via ethernet cable / switch boxes).

All wifi devices are connected to the google mesh.

when we had eir, there were no issues but over the last few months, there's been the occasional loss of wifi connection on a variety of devices

I'm wondering should i change the vodafone router for something better - or are there settings in the vodafone router or google mesh that need to be changed?

ablelocks wrote: »
    i have a google mesh network - 1 primary, connected to the vodafone ftth router and 5 wifi points (1st gen, not the newer Nest version)

(the only devices that use the vodafone router are wired to it via ethernet cable / switch boxes).

All wifi devices are connected to the google mesh.

when we had eir, there were no issues but over the last few months, there's been the occasional loss of wifi connection on a variety of devices

I'm wondering should i change the vodafone router for something better - or are there settings in the vodafone router or google mesh that need to be changed?

I don't like to badmouth providers but I have little love for Vodafone. Just nothing but problems with their vDSL service over multiple sites.

To resolve your issues and as mentioned many times here....
    1. Is your Vodafone set to modem/bridge mode or router? It should be bridge/modem and only your primary google wifi router connected to any of the vodafone LAN ports.

2. Is your Vodafone router WIFI disabled? It must be disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I don't like to badmouth providers but I have little love for Vodafone. Just nothing but problems with their vDSL service over multiple sites.

To resolve your issues and as mentioned many times here....
    1. Is your Vodafone set to modem/bridge mode or router? It should be bridge/modem and only your primary google wifi router connected to any of the vodafone LAN ports.

2. Is your Vodafone router WIFI disabled? It must be disabled.

will try that.

but if i set it to modem/bridge mode, does that affect the devices connected by ethernet - 1 wfh laptop, 11 tv/streaming/console devices

ablelocks wrote: »
    will try that.

but if i set it to modem/bridge mode, does that affect the devices connected by ethernet - 1 wfh laptop, 11 tv/streaming/console devices

Nothing should be connected to the Vodafone modem when it's set to bridge more EXCEPT the one google wifi router. The Voda bridged modem is now unsecure. Google Wifi will now be providing all security to your LAN.

The Vodafone modem in bridged mode is simply just providing unrestricted internet to the google wifi router. ALL of your devices should then be connected to the google wifi or one ethernet port. If you have multiple hard wired devices, purchase a cheep gigabit switch.

All of this has been mentioned before to similar setups. Just read over the previous 4 or 5 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Got the 3 pack S4s, turned WiFi off on ISP, all ethernets remain connected to the ISP (Hue, etc).

I notice both other device connect back to the “main” hub, when it would seem that the one furthest away should use the middle one as it’s signal source.

I also feel like I need to turn off the 2.4G signal to ensure my phones and other devices avail of the 5G. Thoughts?

😎

Got the 3 pack S4s, turned WiFi off on ISP, all ethernets remain connected to the ISP (Hue, etc).

I notice both other device connect back to the “main” hub, when it would seem that the one furthest away should use the middle one as it’s signal source.

I also feel like I need to turn off the 2.4G signal to ensure my phones and other devices avail of the 5G. Thoughts?
    You are double natted. You have 2 routers, two dhcps. Not ideal and not the cause of your current problem.

Can you explain that further for the uneducated amongst us?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Can you explain that further for the uneducated amongst us?

NAT is network address translation, at a high level it means now a router figures what you're looking for and how to get there, think Google maps translating an eir code to an address, then to longitude & latitude and finally how to get there quickest from where you are. If you have 2 routers doing the job you are doing all this working out twice which will mean slower journeys or in some cases not being able to decide on the route to take at all.

Most times it won't be an issue but if you might notice speed issues with some applications (gaming being a great example of this) or services with extra security (like VPNs)

Advertisement