Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst takeaway meal you've ever eaten?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Got a Chinese from a place in Waterford City a few weeks ago after a friend recommended them.
    It was horrible. There was so much msg and gloop in my chicken cashew nut that you could nearly turn the plastic container on your head and it wouldn't come out!
    We told our friend of our experience and he said "sure all I ever gets boi the half and half" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

neris wrote: »
    Pizza from a well known American franchise chain few years ago. Woke up during the night letting loose at both ends and spent the next 2 days unable to keep any liquids in.

Pizzarrhoea, N.

Never an enjoyable feeling. Got it “stateside” myself, last time I was over there, from a giant spicy pepperoni pizza. Squirting burning hot oil for most of the night, pungent farts and a bad case of “ring sting” followed.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

A curry house opened not far from Killena in Gorey one time a few years ago... I should of had concerns by the INCREDIBLY bad spelling in the menu but i continued to order. €55 euro later we had been delivered something that could of come straight from a can, jar or bin.

The rice was mush (and half of it was not in the delivery), the salad and side dishes were unrelatable to what I had ordered, I can honestly say it was the worst Indian take away I had the misfortune to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Never once had food from a takeaway that made me unwell, but I have had food I found unpleasant.

I did once get food poisoning though in the canteen where I was working. Batch of bad beef in a load of lasagne, took out half the workforce for two days. I ended up in the ED on fluids and anti-emetics. The following morning I felt like I'd been run over by a tank. Fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

The fact that the takeaway business is booming át the moment got me thinking, what's the worst you've ever had?

I once got a "donor" kebab somewhere along the quays in Dublin about 20 years ago.

I'm not sure what the donor meat was exactly, but it was like rubber and tasted like gone off beef.

The pitta bread was like a slice of cardboard and the sauces and salad must have been sitting for days...
    Needless to say it probabaly ended up in the liffey.

I had Hong Kong duck which was just shredded crispy batter or something like it. Hardly any duck. It was like tryin to eat sawdust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Thai food can be hit and miss. A few seafood mix currys from it before, one in oz. the smell was like something from a sewer and tentacles sticking out of it.

No matter how tasty it can be from the likes of opium in Dublin, the broth/watery type sauces always smell like feet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Once got a takeaway chicken curry from a Chinese restaurant in Barcelona. Fking dire. It was absolutely LOADED with fish sauce and the whole thing reaked of gone off piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

Never got anything too bad but it annoys me when they get a simple order wrong. The other week they gave me someone else's order. It was huge. Then they took an hour to come back with my order. And they had the neck to ask for the other order back. Not like they could give it to someone else with covid and that.

There were a few things in the mistaken order I would never order but would have liked to try. They didn't even offer me anything extra and I wasn't in the mood of being forced to look a Karen so I just left it. Kept the extra cans of coke though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

pawdee wrote: »
    I had a shockingly bad Indian takeaway in Killarney a couple of years ago. I can't even describe how bad it was. I'm actually lost for words. I once heard of someone getting a chicken burger and thinking there was something a bit off about the mayonnaise. Turns out it wasn't mayonnaise at all. The chicken had a cyst and when the guy bit it it burst and pus came out. I suppose it doesn't get much worse that that?

No, it doesn't.
    End thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm calling shenanigans on that.

Not to dwell on the grim mental image, but a cyst couldn't survive the processing and cooking of the chicken any more than any other fluids and sinewy bits do.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm calling shenanigans on that.

Not to dwell on the grim mental image, but a cyst couldn't survive the processing and cooking of the chicken any more than any other fluids and sinewy bits do.

Especially when the “product” being sold, in that type of establishment, would be reclaimed connective tissue blended into a “meat slurry”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    When KFC in the Cresent shopping center Limerick originally opened must be 15 years ago I was all excited at the time :P !
    Whatever it was it was deffo not chicken!
    Have not chanced a KFC since!

They opened in Letterkenny in the late 90s, chicken had a green hue, no thanks, its still going which is bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fish supper from a van outside a nite club in the 90s, knew it was bad after first few bites but the harm was done,

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Feel like I'm in the school yard in 1997 reading this nonsense. Next yil be telling me Marilyn Manson was in the Wonder Years and had rib surgery so he could blow his own knob.

The dog food scheme sounds ridiculously more expensive than buying bulk meat from a supplier. The pigeon trap sounds like more trouble than it would be worth.

A running theme with these urban legends of using wild animals, domestic pets and other strange sources is that they are all usually more expensive and time consuming than just buying regular meat.

edit- knew I'd heard the chicken burger one before.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chicken-sandwich-tumor/
    Well the dog food one was real, but it happened in the 70s in Bray, they made batter burgers out of it. My father loved them at the time.

Every time he came back from England and was having a few pints someone would remind him of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A burger meal from a chippy in wexford in 07/08 I think.

Notdeco wrote: »
    Well the dog food one was real, but it happened in the 70s in Bray, they made batter burgers out of it. My father loved them at the time.

Every time he came back from England and was having a few pints someone would remind him of it.

Would be interesting to know how much they saved using dog food as opposed to the cheap burgers that are usually sold.

The tide is turning…

Would be interesting to know how much they saved using dog food as opposed to the cheap burgers that are usually sold.
    Havnt a clue, the chippers was on Quinsborough Road. Can't remember it's name. Hopefully someone on here will remember it and post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Supermacs, absolutely disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

No. I refuse to believe that a chipper was bulk buying dog food from a cash and carry for cheaper than they would buy hundreds/ thousands of beef patties per week delivered from a meat plant or local butcher.

If they were buying the tins from a supermarket, even more expensive.

If they negotiated with the factory, what sort of food supplier drops off dog food in bulk to a chipper?

And wtf would they tell anyone if they were. Why would dog food burgers be common local knowledge.

Someone's winding yer da up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

https://www.google.com/search?q=festive+five+ounce&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi44e_xk4DvAhXoRxUIHYOKC3kQ_AUoAXoECAMQAw&biw=1242&bih=597

Supermacs bring this out every Christmas and it probably wins an award for the most unlike the photo product ever served.

Wasn't awful tasting but flat all the same.

Mushrooms on a burger? .......... By god i'm actually shaking with anger. Anger and disgust. And a small bit of curiosity that sickens me.

Seriously though that's actually perverse.

• Advertisement

No. I refuse to believe that a chipper was bulk buying dog food from a cash and carry for cheaper than they would buy hundreds/ thousands of beef patties per week delivered from a meat plant or local butcher.

If they were buying the tins from a supermarket, even more expensive.

If they negotiated with the factory, what sort of food supplier drops off dog food in bulk to a chipper?

And wtf would they tell anyone if they were. Why would dog food burgers be common local knowledge.

Someone's winding yer da up.

Nope, that's why it was closed down. Common knowledge around Bray if you're old enough. I don't care if you believe it or not.

Nope, that's why it was closed down. Common knowledge around Bray if you're old enough. I don't care if you believe it or not.

My main “concern” is the economy of it. I guess we’d need to know what kind of dog food it was because those burgers are main up of the floor sweepings, shin skin, eyelids and scrotum.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Probably showing my age a bit here but there was a "chain" of three take aways in Dublin some time ago. Dundrum Drumcondra and Raheny if my memory is working. Called "Some Like it Hot".

They could consistently produce some of the worst approximations of food I have ever had in my life. While Abrakebabra can produce some awful things - and that "Eddies" thing that is not really Eddie rockets but produces half the portion sized for three times the price is truely the most current awful thing I know of - none will ever reach the horror of "Some like it hot" for me.

There's a facebook page to try and bring back this this place that is bizarre and is relentlessly commenting on thejournal and maybe here as well. Never had food there before so cant comment

https://www.facebook.com/Bring-Back-Some-Like-It-Hot-Take-Away-1547113622241805/

RE: KFC, the only good thing there is the zinger burger, and even they are hit or miss.
    The chicken on the bone is bloody awful when compared to hillbillys, supermacs or any italian chipper. Greasy grey muck

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Got a curry from a popular chinese takeaway delivered while we were working a late one on the southside.. The curry had pbviously been mixed with brown sauce and was disheartened to let it go to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A battered haggis that I got violently sick after.

My main “concern” is the economy of it. I guess we’d need to know what kind of dog food it was because those burgers are main up of the floor sweepings, shin skin, eyelids and scrotum.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What I dont get is how one area can have so many manky Chinese takeaways one worse than the other and they all do business yet another area has only two or three Chinese takeaways and they are reasonably nice.

The only conclusion is in the first area they want the cheap muck.

Also the difference in chippers muck in one place and lovely in another.

Businesses only produces what sells so the chipper doing the manky food knows the locals want muck.

Mushrooms on a burger? .......... By god i'm actually shaking with anger. Anger and disgust. And a small bit of curiosity that sickens me.

Seriously though that's actually perverse.

It's actually a topping in a few of the new build your own burger chains like Wowburger and 5 Guys. Was also an option with Burger King when I was in Thailand years ago, Swiss Cheese and Mushroom I believe it was.

For some bizarre reason I wouldn't fancy it from a chipper....but it really has its place in the ones the new joints do.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Also the difference in chippers muck in one place and lovely in another.

I've to be honest. It's very rare I've come across an all round terrible chipper.

Most have their strengths and weaknesses. The one whos chips are the best in Dublin might do a fairly average quarter pounder. The lad who does great chicken might make a sub par garlic cheese chips. Chipper A might have the best fish and chips but does a very average curry sauce (although with great chips you don't really need a dip).

I'd hate to come across a chipper that does frozen chips, burnt burger buns and dry chicken :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

bnt wrote: »
    Taco Bell in Denver, after I’d been to a hockey game downtown while on a business trip. Of course I had to repeat my order four times, not being American, then took my tacos back to the hotel ... when Americans bitch about Taco Bell, I think I get it now. I didn’t order Veggie, so if that was meat, I didn’t recognise what kind. I didn’t get sick, that’s something.

Lol agree, taco bell would blow the hole off ya

Advertisement